#301 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 July 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yeah, the numbers go up and down a bit. Lowest I've seen today is 6%. Can anyone beat that?

6% light mechs
15% medium mechs
45% heavy mechs
33% assault mechs

More than twice as many heavy mechs as light and medium mechs put together?

It's all working as intended, of course. Assault mechs are endgame, right?

Spoiler

Light pilots get girlfriends, and girlfriends wanna do stuff on holidays :D

#302 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 04 July 2014 - 08:09 PM, said:

Light pilots get girlfriends, and girlfriends wanna do stuff on holidays :D

While that sounds great, when did Light Mechs become Ferraris? :)

#303 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 July 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

While that sounds great, when did Light Mechs become Ferraris? :D

When they started going 152kph and pack LAZORS.

#304 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 July 2014 - 08:42 PM, said:

When they started going 152kph and pack LAZORS.

Well, they aren't sharks, with laser beams on their freaking heads...

#305 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 04 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Yeah, but the ladies.... speed and lazors my friend. Speed and lazors. Last time I played a match in my Firestarter with my wife sitting on my lap saying 'shoot him! Shoot him next!' I got 5 kills and a hell of a 'victory lap'.

The ladies dig light pilots.

#306 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

View PostDeathlike, on 04 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

#307 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

View PostFupDup, on 04 July 2014 - 08:57 PM, said:

Posted Image

That's the Adder, right there.

#308 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

I've been trying to rock a Locust with mixed results. Some games I'll get nearly 500 damage and others I'll get practically one shot. Turns out lrms really hurt in this lil mech :D

My lights have been a little less fun since the nerfed the streak damage when the launched clans. Come on PGI, bump the IS streak damage back up. It's not like they were anything more than barely viable in the first place.

#309 Lunaya

• PipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have been enjoying my light mech (With the exception of my Kitfox unless in certain configs that use range). I do not see much problem with IS ones right now other than some need a hitbox fix. (Looking at you Raven, all dem legs.). Maybe they need some fixes but they do work fairly well. It does suck when I get one shot by a Dual Gauss PPC Dire Wolf but not much I can do about that crap.

#310 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 July 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

???

This isn't a "new" issue. This has been an issue for over a year now. There's no more "wait until". I also don't see how that's a valid statement in regard to the community giving feedback on how to improve this particular issue....

I forgot what threads I've posted in, but I thought I posted in this thread that increasing map size and adding actual assets to attack/defend would help bump up the number of Lights on the field? If not, well that's my suggestion to improve this issue.

#311 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostAdiuvo, on 04 July 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Cbill rewards do nothing to actually help lights. They can't keep up with heavies and assaults, primarily due to agility.

Balance isn't bad from a weapon perspective. All of the viable weapons on lights require burn time and close range. Allow a light to actually outmaneuver a heavy/assault in close range and things will be better, either by nerfing the agility (turn rate, accel/decel) of heavies/assaults, or buffing that of lights.

Uhm, if you choose to put a giant engine in a light, your weapon selection is going to be nothing but medium lasters and some srms. If you go with a slower engine, you can pack on bigger weapons, still be pretty fast, and stay with your team.
EX: Kit Fox, Adder. Those two clan mechs don't have some magic armor values. The Jenners, Ravens, and Firestarters all have the same armor as an Adder.

I've seen a ridiculous number of games where a maxed speed Jenner/FireStarter/Spider does 400-600+ damage and gets 3-6 kills. I'm just not buying the idea that lights are so underpowered that they need a lot of help. It's not like an Atlas, which tends to get shot to pieces really fast, can put on six medium lasers, some heat sinks, and fill the rest of the empty tonnage with armor to make them more survivable.

#312 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Smallest I have seen lights is 17%, smallest I have seen assaults is 3%.

Don't usually look though.

#313 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

View Postwanderer, on 04 July 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

Dragonflies are mediums, at 40 tons- like Cicadas.

^this
beat me to it lol

and no, no you wouldn't. That's like saying "If PGI would release the
kit fox
adder
spider
jenner
firestarter
etc you would see more lights"

You would see an increase for a short time while more people tried them out because they're new. Then it would be back to business as usual.

#314 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

View PostYueFei, on 04 July 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

I forgot what threads I've posted in, but I thought I posted in this thread that increasing map size and adding actual assets to attack/defend would help bump up the number of Lights on the field? If not, well that's my suggestion to improve this issue.

I can respect someone who posts some feedback that I disagree with.

Not that I disagree with yours here. Objectives specifically for lights and mediums (meaning other classes COULD pull them off but it wouldn't be effective to do so) would be the "best" solution in my opinion as well but I gave up on that idea a looooooooooong time ago. All snark aside it took PGI over a year to come up with a "new" game mode that simply involved removing all cap points...

#315 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

Example:

Your team must "recon" 3-4 points on the map within a certain timeframe. The mech must close to within 300 meters of the objective and hold a target lock for 30 seconds (could even use a cap module that speeds it up). They must be done in order and while these objectives are being met another objective needs to be destroyed.

That means you simply can't take slower heavier mechs to complete this mission. You'd have to have a few lights to move around the map fast enough.

That would help the weight class but then we're right back to the same mechs in that weight class. Using some sort of scaling economy and/or reward system for less popular mechs would clear up that issue.

Those two things would solve the "obsolete" and "inferior" mech issues immediately. If a player is trying to grind out some cash and exp, they'll be more inclined to take mechs that offer them a bonus to that. That was said 2 years ago though and repeatedly since then, along with several other ideas as well. PGI has never even acknowledged those ideas though.

#316 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Those two things would solve the "obsolete" and "inferior" mech issues immediately. If a player is trying to grind out some cash and exp, they'll be more inclined to take mechs that offer them a bonus to that. That was said 2 years ago though and repeatedly since then, along with several other ideas as well. PGI has never even acknowledged those ideas though.

Lostech said:

Good ideas

#317 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Example:

Your team must "recon" 3-4 points on the map within a certain timeframe. The mech must close to within 300 meters of the objective and hold a target lock for 30 seconds (could even use a cap module that speeds it up). They must be done in order and while these objectives are being met another objective needs to be destroyed.

That means you simply can't take slower heavier mechs to complete this mission. You'd have to have a few lights to move around the map fast enough.

That would help the weight class but then we're right back to the same mechs in that weight class. Using some sort of scaling economy and/or reward system for less popular mechs would clear up that issue.

I'm still a big fan of having secondary objectives that provide benefits. You 'cap' a point and get sensor range boosts, or a location that will (very slowly) replenish ammo. A destructible location that while it exists provides the equivalent of seismic sensor pings for the whole map of the other team.

Secondary locations that affect the flow of combat. Not critically, but significant. You have to decide if you're going to split up to try and take advantages and then exploit them to roll the enemy or stick together, hit and take one and move from there, or even just try to destroy them all to deny them to either side.

#318 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostUrsh, on 04 July 2014 - 09:49 PM, said:

Uhm, if you choose to put a giant engine in a light, your weapon selection is going to be nothing but medium lasters and some srms. If you go with a slower engine, you can pack on bigger weapons, still be pretty fast, and stay with your team.
EX: Kit Fox, Adder. Those two clan mechs don't have some magic armor values. The Jenners, Ravens, and Firestarters all have the same armor as an Adder.

I've seen a ridiculous number of games where a maxed speed Jenner/FireStarter/Spider does 400-600+ damage and gets 3-6 kills. I'm just not buying the idea that lights are so underpowered that they need a lot of help. It's not like an Atlas, which tends to get shot to pieces really fast, can put on six medium lasers, some heat sinks, and fill the rest of the empty tonnage with armor to make them more survivable.

Yes, some good players can make lights work and having watched enough matches I can comfortably say that mediocre pilots don't stick with lights as long as the heavier mechs. Heck, if lights were as powerful as you'd have us believe then they wouldn't have so few q'ing up. On average lights do not top the damage charts and get no recognition for dropping what can be game changing UAV's and the like.

#319 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 04 July 2014 - 10:23 PM, said:

I'm still a big fan of having secondary objectives that provide benefits. You 'cap' a point and get sensor range boosts, or a location that will (very slowly) replenish ammo. A destructible location that while it exists provides the equivalent of seismic sensor pings for the whole map of the other team.

Secondary locations that affect the flow of combat. Not critically, but significant. You have to decide if you're going to split up to try and take advantages and then exploit them to roll the enemy or stick together, hit and take one and move from there, or even just try to destroy them all to deny them to either side.

Maybe, I just don't think that's going to change much. We basically have that now with 2 game modes. The cap points are secondary objectives while killing the enemy force if the primary.
I know that's not technically and mechanically how it's designed but that's generally how it plays out. Adding a bonus to holding a cap point would add a little flavor but I don't see it changing the landscape of mechs taken to fulfill that. I see where you're going with it and if it were implemented with a few other things I think it would help.

Bottom line is, until PGI realizes that the whole "we're going to make you play this the way we want to play it" doesn't work when you're designing a game for paying customers, we're going to be stuck in this rut. Options, not restrictions are what will make this game more robust and successful overall.

They've got to stop trying to shoehorn every player into a singular playstyle. It's not now, nor has it ever worked. All it does is alienate players and create resentment towards the company itself. Offer everyone you can a way to play the game in a manner that they enjoy. That's pretty basic stuff but I really do believe PGI's hubris gets the best of them. I understand it's hard to take criticism towards your "baby" but they really need to understand that offering incentives and rewards instead of punishments (IE wait times in some cases or up until this week not being able to simply drop with some friends) are going to get players offering more variety in their gameplay.

You can't expect variety when you continuously place hard restrictions on things. It's counter-productive.

#320 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Remember Chromehounds?

If you wanted the magic radar that allowed you to see mechs far in the distance without a visual, you had to take over radar stations. The best way to do that was in a very fast mech.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users