#81 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Cool, so lets make them Gundams that fly and skate and have laser swords...... and can do ballet!

Not gonna lie would love a full on mech sim gundam game.

Anyway took my 97kph kitfox out earlier, we started at the upper base on frozen city, and I was just walking down towards the kappa base area and somehow got damage off the snowy slopes...

#82 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostSmegmw, on 05 July 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

Angle of orientation to the ground and length/cadence of stride are hardly lostech. Try again.

To further expand since it appears you have no idea, the Mech pilot/neurohelmet/gyro/mech computer interface translates the mechs movements and balance from the pilots sense of balance to a mech. So your unconscious balance impulses that would keep you upright as a human being get translated through the Mech pilot/neurohelmet/gyro/mech computer interface and tell a mech to lean back and take shorter stirdes that are quicker as an automatic thing.

Before you show your ignorance again if the Mech pilot/neurohelmet/gyro/mech computer interface becomes lostech then mechs can no longer be operated.

i feel like you missed the joke...

#83 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 July 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

(snipped for brevity)

So again, we need acceleration or this idea of PGI's is not going to work.

Yes! Agree 100%.

PGI should fix invisible walls and other invisible geometry, and put in proper physics for acceleration / deceleration, and proper modeling for fall damage scaling.

The tiny falls when running downhill no longer become occasional frustrating leg damage, bigger falls are visually clear (geometry matches visuals), and at the same time, fall damage becomes more punishing for higher and higher drops, up to and including fatal fall heights. Fatal falls as in, even with a mech at 100% health, if you fall that distance, you die.

I think it's even mentioned in the lore, for Kai's "trial of position" on Outreach, the pilots are cautioned that although it's a simulated combat, with no actual weapons fire, the mechs are real, the terrain is real, and if they trip and fall over a cliff, they are gonna be hurt or killed by the fall.

Edited by YueFei, 05 July 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#84 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 05 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

crimson strait, tested this numerous times, make a left and walk to the other tunnel entrance. I was able to damage every mech I tried, by walking off the road, theres a ledge facing the tunnel. don't recall how fast I was going but it couldn't have been that fast was in a Dire wolf, Atlas and Warhawk. Posted Image

Yeah, that looks like it's past the threshold for fall damage. About 10 meters tall. You can see in relation to the building perched up there, assuming that building's 1st floor is about 5 meters tall, which is reasonable... that doorway in the building is probably about 2 meters tall, that's about the average height of doorways. The drop appears to be twice the height of the 1st floor of that building, making it 10 meters.

#85 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

View PostSgtMagor, on 05 July 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

That image looks a lot better than the game's crimson strait does.

Why can't the lighting in game be that good?

#86 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 July 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

That image looks a lot better than the game's crimson strait does.

Why can't the lighting in game be that good?

Because then the dual core guys wouldn't be able to play.
The whole 2 people using dual cores.

#87 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I've been running Locusts all weekend. Only once, on Alpine Peaks, did I take significant damage from evasion and even then I wasn't down to internals.

It's really okay, and people who are having problems just need to embrace a slightly simmier game.

#88 Rampancy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 05 July 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

I've been running Locusts all weekend. Only once, on Alpine Peaks, did I take significant damage from evasion and even then I wasn't down to internals.

It's really okay, and people who are having problems just need to embrace a slightly simmier game.
How dare you suggest that the world isn't ending for light pilots

#89 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Resurrecting this thread to run an idea by Koniving:

I have a theory why coming to a stop in mid-air mitigates the fall damage.

By stopping your legs from "running", you put them into the stationary "standing" pose. This means your legs straighten out, and extend your leg hitbox farther down. This lets your feet touch the ground sooner, and arrest the fall.

Similar to what a person would do in real life when falling. Well, that and a person would also reach their arms into the air to further spread out the landing impulse, but our mechs can't exactly "raise the roof". :(

#90 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostYueFei, on 07 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Resurrecting this thread to run an idea by Koniving:

I have a theory why coming to a stop in mid-air mitigates the fall damage.

By stopping your legs from "running", you put them into the stationary "standing" pose. This means your legs straighten out, and extend your leg hitbox farther down. This lets your feet touch the ground sooner, and arrest the fall.

Similar to what a person would do in real life when falling. Well, that and a person would also reach their arms into the air to further spread out the landing impulse, but our mechs can't exactly "raise the roof". :(

Need an awesome Hollywood three point landing animation. Preferably with ground shaking and a crater.

#91 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

View Poststjobe, on 03 July 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Here's a screengrab with the descent meter visible from that same location so nobody can claim it isn't happening. To reiterate, that's 171 kph down a slope that really shouldn't give me hangtime or leg damage:

Posted Image

You sure you aren't airborne?
Posted Image
At 170 I'd imagine your momentum should get your airborne when going over the top of that slope behind you, guess I should take my jenner for a spin.

#92 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

View PostMavairo, on 05 July 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

Because then the dual core guys wouldn't be able to play.
The whole 2 people using dual cores.

They probably make it have slowdowns even worse...
I'd be happy if they fixed the framerate plunges from effects , it's an issue when 4770i7/gtx780 can't handle it

#93 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 07 July 2014 - 11:56 PM, said:

You sure you aren't airborne?

What do you think the word "hangtime" in the post you quoted mean?

I am going airborne about one time in three, and I take damage from it. Which is the whole issue.

#94 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

View PostMavairo, on 05 July 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

The problem remains, that this punishes non jj mechs more than it does jj equipped ones.

And JJ mechs have long since made non jj mechs look like jokes in battlefield agility, and mobility, thanks to the hillclimbing penalties.

Popretarting and jump jets were ALREADY head, shoulders and hands for that matter above non jump jet mechs. Did we really need yet ANOTHER reason to take JJ mechs?'
Gameplay dynamics were also ALREADY about crawling slow moving gunlines. Did we really need a patch to FURTHER encourage timidity in mobility and willingness to advance or retreat?

I agree. This scalar thingy made jumpjets even better than they were before. 1 JJ in a Shadowhawk, and you can prevent leg damage from almost any fall, and gain an enormous mobility advantage on certain maps (Canyon Network in particular). JJ give more value per tonne than ECM nowadays.

The only way to balance JJ is to make them generate a significant amount of heat. So that a JJ mech can jump over a hill but cannot fire his 2xPPC at the same time, while a non-JJ mech cannot follow him, but at least it can shoot it.

#95 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the testing - but it shows only the "problems" of this mechanic
  • you survived fall damage - that your mech should not survive
  • you take damage for levels that shouldn't deal any damage
Its so "simple" to - test how "leaping" in MWO must have worked:

Take MegaMek - take a map with some "good" heights
for example for the test - i take level 10 (60m)
  • locust - did take 10 damage to both legs - after that the Mech fall taking additional scalar damage of 22 (level x weight/10)
  • hunchback - did take 10 damage to both legs - after that 55 dmg
  • thunderbolt - 10 to the legs + 77
  • atlas - 10 + 110
But what happens when your are "leaping" 12m? -> Nothing no Mech takes damage

So - the level before any damage is applied should be much heighter - 13m - or 50-52 fts
After that - you could add scalar damage (because our Mechs are not longer able to "fall" to the ground like they did in Closed Beta) based on internals or tonnage in general

And the damage you get should rise -> falling 100m like in your example should - vaporize a Mech.

Although with the "hill climb - get stuck madness" you would have a ton of destroyed Mechs on most maps even before the first shot is fired.

#96 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 July 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

I'm not saying they don't need to monitor and potentially tweak things, I am saying the shear amount of QQ over this seems far out of proportion with the actual problem.

Meh...its the same as the QQ for just about every other problem this game has ever encountered. Sure some complaints were legitimate, but the exaggerated drama is without fail, completely over the top every single time.

Hell a guy blew a gasket the other day over the Dire Wolf getting a minor adjustment to its CT size. Look at how many "I can't play clans, clans are OP....goodbye (or see you in six months)" threads there are.

#97 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

View Poststjobe, on 08 July 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

What do you think the word "hangtime" in the post you quoted mean?
I am going airborne about one time in three, and I take damage from it. Which is the whole issue.

Alright and you are surprised by taking flight? Had a run in 170kph locust there and unable to replicate, except normal physics of momentum and gravity.
Although no damage in testing grounds.

(edit, fyi, I went airborne about every time)

And just to bring maths into this... first second of hitting a decline at 170kph:

47m/s
----------------------------------------
i
i 9.8m/s

So at that speed tan-1 0,2 is 12deg... so you will be flying off pretty much every decline... maybe we should not obey physics because legs? or magnets for jenner legs?

Edited by Haakon Magnusson, 08 July 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#98 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

How does fall damage compare to being shot in the leg(s) with a small laser / medium laser / large laser / ppc / AC2 / AC5 / AC10 / AC20?

#99 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 July 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

... but mistakes in lights are already punished pretty severely. More than the leg damage though, I hate the thought of spying a foolish LRM boat perched alone on a hill, and thinking to myself "Well, I ain't goin up there. Them bumps look awful big".
As they should be. By comparison Lights have tissue paper for armor. All a Light is meant to have going for it is Speed. They are mostly engine and some small weapons with a thin wash of armor. One hit is all it takes for most to be crippled. Has been for 30 years.

#100 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 08 July 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

How does fall damage compare to being shot in the leg(s) with a small laser / medium laser / large laser / ppc / AC2 / AC5 / AC10 / AC20?

I did some basic fact checking and number crunching.

If a freefall in an assault does 3% damage to legs.

That's about the same as being shot in each leg with a large laser.

That's pretty hilarious if you think about it.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 08 July 2014 - 02:39 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users