30 replies to this topic

#1 bardlord

• PipPip
  • The Ominous
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Its not new,but I guessit needs to be asked often:
Can the terrain be fxed so that a mech does not get caught up on small rocks or a 2 foot river bank?

or is the true purpose of terrain tob OP? sigh

#2 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

If enough people complain about the same coordinate on a map they'll get to it eventually but most of the maps were made before they implemented terrain climbing restrictions based on mech class.

So unless there's some small adjustment they can make to the movement rules that will fix every mech on every map they'd probably have to go over every centimeter of each map and correct the terrain angles which would fall under the realm of low priority.

#3 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

I must be an amazing pilot... :D

I can't think of but maybe a half-dozen times where I've been unfairly impeded by the terrain to point where I felt the need to vent publicly.

#4 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Go to 0:45 --

He gets stuck at the dropship.

That is one example of many where the hill climbing restrictions just don't work.

Prior to hill-climbing restrictions, you should've seen the way Helmstif could make his HBK dance atop a ridgeline.

Easy way to fix this would be to make it so 45 degrees doesn't mean you hit a dead stop. It should just increase the rate at which you decelerate.

That would be an easy way to fix the whole "getting stuck on short objects" issue, since your momentum would carry you past knee-high objects before the deceleration brought you to a halt.

Or PGI can do it the hard way, and carry on trying to fix every single piece of every single map where the terrain glitches out and brings you to a halt.

You know, complex solutions for simple-to-fix problems is usually how they do things.

Edited by YueFei, 06 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#5 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

View PostYueFei, on 06 July 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

He gets stuck at the dropship.

In fairness, you're not being totally honest with your example. He did not simple come to a complete stop secondary to an incline... He run into the elevated substrate of the dropships horizontal stabilizer. As soon as he rotated of that edge, he was right as rain...

#6 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

The rules need to be loosened a bit. I've worn out the A and D keys on 3 keyboards trying to climb the H10 hills on Alpine.

#7 Gyrok

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostSug, on 06 July 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

The rules need to be loosened a bit. I've worn out the A and D keys on 3 keyboards trying to climb the H10 hills on Alpine.

If I can do it in a Dire Wolf and Atlas, you can do it in anything else...is it a pain? Yes...but that is the way it falls...

#8 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I never got used to my assaults driving like pigs up any hill or stopping on stones. Hill climb module,, LOL

#9 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostDaZur, on 06 July 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

In fairness, you're not being totally honest with your example. He did not simple come to a complete stop secondary to an incline... He run into the elevated substrate of the dropships horizontal stabilizer. As soon as he rotated of that edge, he was right as rain...

There's no horizontal stabilizer back there. That's part of the fuselage housing the 4 rockets at the back. There are two wings and 1 vertical stabilizer. Look at the drop ship from directly astern.

#10 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

There is no good, valid excuse for why the terrain is so bad in these maps.

Mostly its the older beta maps, Caustic, River city is one of the worst, Terra Therma has is bad spots, Frozen city I would put at the top of the list for having the most horrible STOP ME DEAD silly artifacts in the ground, and the canyon walls in Canyon network need better ramps.

The old maps either need a good going over, or be redone.

There are also tons and tons of Props that have incorrect and completely off collision and hitbox geometry, this includes things like Vehicles, buildings, bridges, and tunnel walls ect.. as was mentioned in another post on Manifold's center columns.

There is a simple solution, which will take minimal effort to implement into an already existing game feature.

Fix the HILLCLIMB module to give better slope tolerance when climbing.

Where I'd put it is this. just to throw some #'s out there.

Lights = 19% less speed loss on climb 5% better slope tolerance
Mediums = 16% less speed loss on climb 8% better slope tolerance
Heavys = 13% less speed loss on climb 11% better slope tolerance
Assaults = 10% less speed loss on climb 15% better slope tolerance

Its either that, or spend countless hours redoing and refining map bugs.

#11 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostGyrok, on 06 July 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

If I can do it in a Dire Wolf and Atlas, you can do it in anything else...is it a pain? Yes...but that is the way it falls...

But what is the point of it being hard? There's no reason mechs should be decelerated to a stop on terrain they can get over by turning slightly to the left.

Deceleration over high angled terrain, sure. But legs are not wheels. There's no reason I can't take another step.

#12 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

View PostMister D, on 06 July 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

There are also tons and tons of Props that have incorrect and completely off collision and hitbox geometry, this includes things like Vehicles, buildings, bridges, and tunnel walls ect.. as was mentioned in another post on Manifold's center columns.

I don't have the energy to dig through 2 years of archives but a dev said that the geometry on the maps is so loose because if it were tightened up the calculations needed for gameplay would kill mid/low end computers.

Not sure why my computer needs a 2m phantom hitbox on a stationary hill while having no problem calculating that my shot went between the legs or under the arms of a light running at 130kph.

#13 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

No one is saying there cannot be room for improvement...

That said, I'd drive to Canada and choke out a dev if they reverted back to the previous status quo of assault mechs scaling mountains like flipping mountain goats. :)

#14 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

If PGI actually wants to balance poptarts, reducing the effects of hill climb to only affect mechs going up an incline greater than 60 degrees is a huge step in the right direction.

#15 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

The movement system really does need work.. :/

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 06 July 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#16 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

Whats more broke on terrain then being stuck on it, is how it has those 3 foot invisible walls and crap that block shots like an Independence Day alien mothership....or a War of the Worlds Tripod...

Walk out just enough to fire one side of the mech and KAPOW...shoot the air beside a building.....but then get shot to hell cuz I gotta go out more and stay exposed longer to reaim and crap...

Inviso walls suck...

And do game devs get worse overtime or what? I know like Return to Castle Wolfenstein has issues like that with the Panzerfaust, but its not anything as bad as MWO...atleast in RTCW you can crouch and fire between guard rails and crap....in MWO, the entire guardrail would be an entity and block everything...despit there being a massive 3 foot hole between the upper and lower rail. Planetside 2 has this exact problem to. Not to mention Hit detect in these modern games is horrid....performance in the games is ****.....

#17 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

HPG Manifold has some of the most obvious and worst hitboxes I've ever seen
http://mwomercs.com/...62#entry3497262

#18 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

I don't normally play Assaults but yeah the things I have been getting stuck on while skilling up the direwolf are silly... I can understand if your at a full stop, and try to move over a rock that it might be a problem, but once ya get up to full speed (such that it is lol) it should be like a freaking freight train over anything in it's way... I am fine with it having issues climbing steep slopes, but a small pipe on the ground shouldn't get me stuck...

I only notice it once in a blue moon on my Heavies, and hardly notice it ever on Mediums or Lights.

Also with the speed of assaults and no jump jetts on so many mechs, not to mention the new fall damage, it would be nice if Canyon had a few more spots that mechs could move up and down the cliffs....

Edited by Jeb, 06 July 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#19 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

They need to work on the hill climbing crap....thats all

Now about those statues in river city next to the church.....

#20 badaa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

a quit fix would be to remind the devs that things with legs can step over small things even

if those things on the ground had legs at one time

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users