When The Ecm Goes Down....

30 replies to this topic

#1 Raide Six

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

...we all go down. Was playing a match last night in my Kitfox-Prime on Frozen City. I had the C arm with 3 AMS & ECM (of course). I was the only ECM mech in the company. So I decided to play it safe and hang around in the middle of our company - giving most of our team ECM coverage. Well, a lucky sniper PPC shot took out my ECM arm (easy to aim for with the 3 x AMS). Then the LRM rain began.....it was amazing seeing how much they rained down on us. Needless the say we lost the match. Funny how the loss of 1 ECM can change the battle...

#2 Gayang3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostSeccaBravo9, on 07 July 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

...we all go down. Was playing a match last night in my Kitfox-Prime on Frozen City. I had the C arm with 3 AMS & ECM (of course). I was the only ECM mech in the company. So I decided to play it safe and hang around in the middle of our company - giving most of our team ECM coverage. Well, a lucky sniper PPC shot took out my ECM arm (easy to aim for with the 3 x AMS). Then the LRM rain began.....it was amazing seeing how much they rained down on us. Needless the say we lost the match. Funny how the loss of 1 ECM can change the battle...

No ECM = LRM rain,

Sherlock this is quite the astute observation. :unsure:

#3 Zypher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 418 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

IMO ECM is still too much of crutch especially is competitive matches, if you don't have it you are pretty much screwed.

#4 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

narc is crazy as well - missiles will hit you in 90 degree angles when you have that

#5 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Actually had a game last night where ALL the LRMs were dealt with by AMS. I swear every mech on my team had AMS if not a couple with 2 AMS. It was great. The enemy team had at least 2 LRM heavy mechs. I was in my Dire Wolf and heard "Incoming Missile" a lot, but rarely got his by anything :unsure: It was glorious. If EVERYONE took AMS I feel like there would be a lot less complaining about LRMs or the lack of ECM (or relying on it)

#6 Raide Six

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostGayang3, on 07 July 2014 - 08:04 AM, said:

No ECM = LRM rain,

Sherlock this is quite the astute observation. :unsure:

Heh. I was amazed by the amount of LRMs they fired. And to think they were holding all of it back, waiting for that solitary ECM to disappear....

#7 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Here's an interesting little trick....

First off, if you're running a Clan mech and don't have the Clan Active Probe, there's something wrong with you. 1 slot, 1 ton and it shuts down all those pesky little ecm lights swarming your legs.

I bet you didn't know that on HPG, you can walk two Clan mechs with active probes into the cellar and just hang out down there.....it shuts down two ecm units on top. The range is a bubble, not a horizontal shield.

Kinda nice to light 'em up on top for the rest of the team. And when the ecm lights on top come down to kill what they think are also ecm lights, they run into a couple of Timberwolves. Heh.

#8 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

BAP and TAG are also worth carrying to reveal ECM.

#9 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

Two things this brings to mind. 1. How many Clan guys will be ditching their TWs and SC for HellBringers when they come out - 65 ton mech with ECM. 2. I was wondering about the effect of carrying both ECM and BAP on your Kitfox or other ECM mech is.

It seems like it should help to counter the enemy ECM while not having to switch to counter mode on yours?

#10 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 07 July 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Here's an interesting little trick....

First off, if you're running a Clan mech and don't have the Clan Active Probe, there's something wrong with you. 1 slot, 1 ton and it shuts down all those pesky little ecm lights swarming your legs.

I bet you didn't know that on HPG, you can walk two Clan mechs with active probes into the cellar and just hang out down there.....it shuts down two ecm units on top. The range is a bubble, not a horizontal shield.

Kinda nice to light 'em up on top for the rest of the team. And when the ecm lights on top come down to kill what they think are also ecm lights, they run into a couple of Timberwolves. Heh.

BAP does the same thing... but I tend to only carry those if I am using missles myself... both for the ECM counter and range increase.
IMO 2 of your 3 heavies out in the main fight is a better use then sitting under disrupting.... get those 2 Timberwolves to the front lines and they will be dealing damage and countering ECM...

#11 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostFoxwalker, on 07 July 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

Two things this brings to mind. 1. How many Clan guys will be ditching their TWs and SC for HellBringers when they come out - 65 ton mech with ECM. 2. I was wondering about the effect of carrying both ECM and BAP on your Kitfox or other ECM mech is.

It seems like it should help to counter the enemy ECM while not having to switch to counter mode on yours?

The BAP ECM counter ability doesn't apply if you also have ECM on the mech. You still get the other benefits from BAP though. (not sure why, but the thought may be that the BAP would counter your own ECM or something so it's disabled?? )

#12 IIIuminaughty

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Radar Deprivation will help A LOT. start using it

#13 The Blood God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 233 posts
  • Locationchester england

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

can any one confirm that the ecm canceling effect of BAP is lost when equipping an ECM

#14 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostMAX909, on 07 July 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

can any one confirm that the ecm canceling effect of BAP is lost when equipping an ECM

Here: http://mwomercs.com/...23-21-may-2013/

Around the middle of the Patch Notes.

#15 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostMAX909, on 07 July 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

Yes, I can confirm this. If you bring both an ECM and a BAP, the BAP will not cancel enemy ECM. You have to switch your ECM to counter mode still. You do still get the other buffs (faster targeting data, longer sensor range, ability to target shut-down mechs...) from the BAP, but that's all.

Edited by DEMAX51, 07 July 2014 - 09:57 AM.

#16 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View PostSolahma, on 07 July 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Actually had a game last night where ALL the LRMs were dealt with by AMS. I swear every mech on my team had AMS if not a couple with 2 AMS. It was great. The enemy team had at least 2 LRM heavy mechs. I was in my Dire Wolf and heard "Incoming Missile" a lot, but rarely got his by anything :D It was glorious. If EVERYONE took AMS I feel like there would be a lot less complaining about LRMs or the lack of ECM (or relying on it)

That's what I am talking about. In the bottom thread I kept telling them to equip AMS, but noobs are too busy crying about LRMs.
http://mwomercs.com/...ix-narc-or-lrm/

Edited by El Bandito, 07 July 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#17 Harathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostSolahma, on 07 July 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Actually had a game last night where ALL the LRMs were dealt with by AMS. I swear every mech on my team had AMS if not a couple with 2 AMS. It was great. The enemy team had at least 2 LRM heavy mechs. I was in my Dire Wolf and heard "Incoming Missile" a lot, but rarely got his by anything :D It was glorious. If EVERYONE took AMS I feel like there would be a lot less complaining about LRMs or the lack of ECM (or relying on it)

When a specific module/weapon/equipment becomes mandatory, there's a balance issue to be addressed.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostHarathan, on 07 July 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

When a specific module/weapon/equipment becomes mandatory, there's a balance issue to be addressed.

1. Then PGI should rework ECM and Strikes, first and foremost. ECM is game changer, strikes are still #1 module by far.

2. AMS is not mandatory. I do just fine without it. In fact most veterans never use AMS. It is the newbies who are losing their head without it.

Edited by El Bandito, 07 July 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#19 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostHarathan, on 07 July 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I do not agree. AMS (and modules) can be taken by ANY mech as a counter to LRMs. Some would argue the complete opposite of your statement, that being able to equip a weapon countermeasure as a CHOICE (not mandatory) actually ruins the balance. It gives the players control over the balance of a weapon system such as LRMs, but this is designed correctly and is working-as-intended. I rarely equip AMS anymore after the last LRM fiasco died off. I'm doing just fine without it. Sure, I might get caught a couple times, but why should a weapon system like LRMs be noneffective? Someone equipped it, used the tonnage and the slots for a specific application.

It sure is NICE to have AMS on Caustic for protection against an average amount of LRMs, and yes, LRMs can be very deadly on that map, I completely agree. LRMs can and will be effective on that map. AMS, Radar dep., and ECM can and will be effective against LRMs on that map. It's all a gamble. Should Terra Therma be removed because so many people run hot mechs and want to fire as fast as possible? Is it bad that you should make a mech heat efficient enough to be effective on any map? Sometimes you might gamble and make a hot mech build then land on Terra Therma, that's how random drops work. If you drop without AMS, there is a chance you will be on caustic valley against LRMs. The luck of the draw.

#20 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

AMS isn't mandatory, but it can help you and others around you as well...
It's also not a 100% counter to LRMs, but when you stack it, it starts to become more effective.

So if your having problems with LRMs, or ya even just want to help your team, it's a nice thing to add to your builds.

FYI there is at least 1 mech that can not bring AMS... The X5... not sure if there are others as well as I never looked into it

Edited by Jeb, 07 July 2014 - 10:24 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users