238 replies to this topic

#141 Caviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 10 July 2014 - 02:23 PM, said:

How is respawn ultimately any different than exiting and immediately starting a new game?

Because you come back in a fresh mech vs. banged up (In theory) enemies. Also slows down the avalanche/momentum of a team being up 3 or 4 kills. Would suck on large maps though. "k guys, just respawned, be there in 2 minutes..."

MWO is just the same thing over and over and over. Sure, that one thing is fun in its own way, but let's try not to kid ourselves that it's anything other than repetitive. Respawn would just let you play continuously for 15 minutes before having to re-queue for 3 minutes.

In our current game modes? Not really. There's the typical FPS Deathmatch/team deathmatch with infinite respawns and highest kill count "wins" at the end of the allotted time. That would just push everyone to drive larger mechs though to be able to slug it out longer before dying.

Although imagine a base attack/defense for the "dropship" mode, except players can only pick one mech of each weight class. Forces mech variety (Read: You'll see more lights and mediums), and ups the skill requirement since you would have to be versatile in more mech types.

Having respawns would also open up other possible game modes like:

-Capture the "flag"
-King of the hill
-Attrition (See Battlefield's ticket/Conquest system)

These wouldn't make as much sense with only one "life"

#142 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

View PostWhy Run, on 10 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Has nothing to do with being good enough, it has to do with ability to play. Some of us don't have time to wait around for your buddies to get on and play. I fit games in where I have time in my busy life. I'd like to play a competitive game without some extra hurdles.

Your right of course but this week I have seen several names who constantly rank on pugs or last year were telling us solo que was not possible due to low player numbers. I mean its alright for anyone but I would feel like an arse doing it.

Maybe respawn should be repair and rearm with a spot to go to do so. Will it be suicide if one runs out of ammo otherwise?
I don't see how it would work without huge complications.

#143 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 July 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

It has no point cause we are not playing the game yet Road. I don't want something added because the Extended Beta has gotten boring.

You mean this game?

If and when that game ever arrives, a full respawn mode would still be popular for casual play.

Or is that the real issue? Do you fear that full respawn would be more popular than no return?

#144 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Respawn is terribad. It'll just turn into (more of) a meatgrinder.

If you're having such a sad about waiting just have two mechs ready and switch off between them when you die. Problem solved.

#145 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostTynan, on 10 July 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

Respawn is terribad. It'll just turn into (more of) a meatgrinder.

If you're having such a sad about waiting just have two mechs ready and switch off between them when you die. Problem solved.

Except not. You still have to wait 3 minutes for the next game to start.

If respawn is so terribad, then why was it by far the more popular way to play in MW4?

#146 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 10 July 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

You mean this game?

If and when that game ever arrives, a full respawn mode would still be popular for casual play.

Or is that the real issue? Do you fear that full respawn would be more popular than no return?

Fear has nothing to do with it. I don't like or enjoy respawning. I find it lessens a game. Unless I am plunking in tokens at Chuck E Cheese, Respawning detracts from my enjoyment.

#147 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 July 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

I have played a couple games that had respawn... Just don't see it as something we need/want. I enjoy the finality of One Mech to lose. Respawn has no place in this game.

^this

#148 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

More popular does not equal better. Also...I don't know what three minutes you're talking about (unless it's the game search time, in which case, cry more I guess).

Having one life means you have to care about dying. It rewards more thoughtful decisions and positioning. Respawns fundamentally change how you play a game--maybe you'd like it more, but it's not really the same game at that point. I could see an argument for it if we had objective-based mission types to prevent those missions from just turning into deathmatches, but we don't.

There are a crapton of respawn FPS games out there. I personally am really enjoying having a game when killing a legged light doesn't just mean I made him stronger fifteen seconds from now.

#149 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 July 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Fear has nothing to do with it. I don't like or enjoy respawning. I find it lessens a game. Unless I am plunking in tokens at Chuck E Cheese, Respawning detracts from my enjoyment.

It's just another "I'm going to make this into an argument that has absolutely nothing to do with what you said and try to bait you into a personal argument by ignoring everything you said and just attacking you with insults like being scared and that's why you don't want respawn. It has nothing to do with the reasons you stated so I'll just ignore those and try to make it into something that has nothing to do with what you said" argument

View PostTynan, on 10 July 2014 - 03:22 PM, said:

There are a crapton of respawn FPS games out there. I personally am really enjoying having a game when killing a legged light doesn't just mean I made him stronger fifteen seconds from now.

;)

#150 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I'm old fashion Tynan... When I kill an enemy, I like them to stay dead. If they want another shot at me they can try again in the next game. Call me sentimental that way.

#151 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Respawn would destroy ammo managent, tactical attrition and reduce mwo to a java shooter. It would be casual to the point of pointlessness.

#152 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

To be fair Mischief, I don't remember the last time I ran out of ammo in game... But I see where you are going. I COULD bring less ammo and more... something else and then die to reload. ;)

#153 Heeden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostTynan, on 10 July 2014 - 02:41 PM, said:

Every time I read a thread about "stomps" my eyes glaze over. How do people at this late date still not understand the concept of force multipliers? Once your team is down a few people, there's a much higher chance of your getting rolled *even if you're substantially better than the enemy players*. When there are two mechs shooting at one, one of those two doesn't even have to think about return fire.

Once a match starts tipping, it's likely to slide quickly into a "stomp." That's just how these things work. You generally only get close matches when the teams are very, very close to evenly matched.

There are stomps and "stomp". You could call any 12-0 loss a "stomp", but recently I've had plenty of those that felt like decent fights. Maybe our bad players were just a little worse than theirs, or we had some bad luck in positioning when we finally blundered into each other, but it still felt there was some parity between the teams and we managed to put up a decent fight given the situation.

Previously, and especially in the 8 mech drop days, a stomp was a well coordinated team ripping through a PuG. It's tough to blame them for playing the game the way it's supposed to be, but it's pretty much impossible to enjoy a game where first sighting of the enemy is followed by 3 or 4 alphas to the face.

#154 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 July 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

To be fair Mischief, I don't remember the last time I ran out of ammo in game... But I see where you are going. I COULD bring less ammo and more... something else and then die to reload. <_<

I do, on occasion, but I only carry two tons. I find that, more often than not, the Ac/20 gets blown off before I can use more.

#155 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 10 July 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

Respawn would destroy ammo managent, tactical attrition and reduce mwo to a java shooter. It would be casual to the point of pointlessness.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 July 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

To be fair Mischief, I don't remember the last time I ran out of ammo in game... But I see where you are going. I COULD bring less ammo and more... something else and then die to reload. ;)

exactly

There's tons of options beyond a simple respawn or (ew) repairing during a match

The cancelled dropship mode was the best I saw. Warthunder, WoT, ***, and a few other games do it well in my opinion. You have a hangar and you have those vehicles available during the match. If one gets destroyed you can choose one fo the remaining vehicles. Once your vehicles are all destroyed your done.

I could get behind that long before any kind of ticket and respawn system. I'd rather not have either of those here though. Die, stay dead

#156 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

View PostBilbo, on 10 July 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

I do, on occasion, but I only carry two tons. I find that, more often than not, the Ac/20 gets blown off before I can use more.

Spray and prey buddy spray and prey! Its the American way! ;)

#157 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Actually keeping track of my solo pug games on a piece of paper for 3 days gave me a 30% win rate.

About 1 in 20 games was a good, back and forth game that ended 11 - 12. Most losses were 4/5 - 12 games. 2 out of 3 of my wins were complete 12 - 0/1 stomps that felt like the mm was just giving me wins because it felt bad for me.

#158 Blaximus

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

50/50 for me, I've been playing solo since closed beta not much has changed. If a premade team is gonna stomp they are gonna stomp nuff said.
I would say out of ten matches two or three are complete stomps. For the most part I find pug matches have gotten a little more fun as guys are definitely getting better and not running of to their inevitable deaths.

#159 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

View PostBlaximus, on 10 July 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

50/50 for me, I've been playing solo since closed beta not much has changed. If a premade team is gonna stomp they are gonna stomp nuff said.

except groups aren't in the solo queue so that's a completely invalid statement

#160 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

View Posttucsonspeed6, on 09 July 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

Just got out of a pug match that ended 9-12. Your experience does not represent the rest of the community.

PPpffft, what pug cue you getting in? Pretty much every...single....pug..I managed to find my way into it was a 2-12 or 12-2 stomp in either direction. Occasionally they excelled and managed to make it like 4-12 or 5-12, but 9-12? trolololololololol....

Even in group with my clan we have lost 2-12...0-12....1-12...3-12....7-12+ is pretty uncommon...

49 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users