426 replies to this topic

#161 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 12 July 2014 - 07:39 AM, said:

For some, yes. Many of us (most?) have jobs, and very busy lives. For many, there are countless reasons why we can't devote the time to watching, or in likely many more cases can't hear the audio - they can't wear headphones, don't want to disturb others, or just (as in my case) can't hear the audio period - Yay, manufacturing work! :P And with a video, not only do you need to be able to hear, but you need to be able to hear clearly, often through tiny tinny little smartphone speakers, thus resulting in needed to keep shuffling back and listening again and again to catch parts that are not enunciated clearly.

Or, people who have English as a second language, and struggle to parse spoken English - text is a lot easier to follow for many.

Anyways, there are very, very many reasons why someone can't just watch the video, but reading a transcript only requires vision and much less time (reading being vastly faster than listening to people).

So, yeah. The world is a big place, and there are lots of people in it with situations vastly different than your own. Don't assume what's easy for you is easy for everyone.

Woah woah woah, my response was toward someone who seemed demanding.

Also, Closed Caption is a viable clicking feature on YouTube videos, although not 100% accurate, there is text to read and you can fit words with what makes sense.

#162 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

@Hiredgun: Yes and No. I use the advanced Airstrikes/Artillerys and Coolshot 9 /UAV with all advancements. These consumabels are equal to those you have to buy for MC when you are new. Else...the new Player is less efective with them. So. With MC Yes. Without. No.
This will for shure lead to more Airstrikes. Last game I changed a game with one Airstike. Killing 2 and destroying 9 Components with one strike. I charged in and killed 3 near dead enemys. ...In some games the use of Airstrikes are already extrem. When they don t reduce that Slot to 1 and increase the Sensor Modul Slot to 2 or 3....they will dominate the Hi ELO Area. New Player don t use that. They Need the C Bills for new mechs. I have 90 mechs and moduls woth 150mio. 64 mio on my account. I don t care to spent Money for Airstrikes., UAV and Coolshoot.

#163 RotS Targe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Lovely work, but, not sure I like some things about the Modules. We should be able to choose which category is added to when we master a mech. Example, my K2 only has two types of weapons, what is the point of having three slots for weapon mods? Further, I already use two mech modules, meaning I'll have to choose which I want to stop using, which isn't fair that I have to lose a useful module so I can have an extra module I'd never be able or want to use anyways.

#164 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

if they just overhaul the weapon modules, especially for IS mechs, then I don't see a problem with the module setup. They could just have set numbers per mech like they do now I think that would be fine. Not sure why clans need weapon modules especially if they change the weapons in ways that knock off the current and pretty good balance.

I still have a weird issue with the C-LRMs and I know someone said it is TT but so what, that is TT not action game but I have an odd fear of LRMs becoming a HUGE short range weapon just to wack mechs around at 90m with 40+ missiles at 90m.

as a balance thing, it seems silly to me and it is another weird thing for people to feel that clan mechs are OP over IS.

Edited by Bigbacon, 12 July 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#165 Astral Esper

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationChaska, Minnesota

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostWrayeth, on 12 July 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

The other change I take exception to is the implementation of the jump jet changes. The heat part of it is fine, but the reduced jump range even with a full set of jets is, IMO, ridiculous. The Highlander, for example, can already barely clear a short building with 3 jets, but now that height is going to be reduced? What's the point of having jump jets at all, then? If I'm brawling on an urban map, I want my damned jump jets to allow me to jump over or land on top of a building for a tactical advantage, but now that won't be possible. The Highlander is now going to be totally useless as a jumping mech, with the jets' tonnage better spent on weaponry.

I don't think he said max jump jet height will be reduced, he said it will now make a difference to carry more jump jets. I pretty sure when he said heavies and assaults won't be jumping as high, I think he meant if you only carry one at the moment, you will need to carry more to jump as high as you do now. I assume max jump jets will still give you the same jump height they do now, its just less jump jets will no longer be the best setup. One jump jet will probably only be enough to get over a small obstacle like the statues on River City or a low ledge.

This is just speculation of course but I don't imagine them making jump jets useless. If an assault can't jump on top of a building with max jump jets than what's the point of using jump jets at all?

#166 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationThe Periphery, one planet at a time.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

This is how it should have been from the beginning. Glad to see PGI is finally catching on. Damn good update in my opinion.

CW. Two "modules" released this year? **** yes. So much win. About damn time. Unit creation in game will be so awesome and finally being able to say, "I am Clan Wolf" other than in our forums or just by a little pixel tag next to our name is fantastic.
Rejoin Feature. FINALLY. YES. No more gimped teams because the servers still suck! They'll still suck but I can at least rejoin and still get meta or missile *****!
New Maps. *******. WIN!
JJ changes. Death of the PPAlpha poptarts? Yah. Now you're going to have to decide if taking JJs is really important versus your damage and loadout. Again, how it should have been from the get go.
And finally. Module changes. Big time score in my opinion. Being able to really put modules into certain categories to really add an extra edge to your play style and mech choice. However, I think mech mastery especially with how much grinding it takes to unlock it completely should award an extra module slot across all categories, not just an extra weapon module slot. Not everyone uses just weapon modules and limiting that, I think, is ridiculous.

All in all though. Very good VLog with some awesome info. And Russ finally looks like he got a bit more rest. lol.

#167 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

All sounds good as does every time they mention something. We will see how it really works/is when it's all implemented.

Personally I don't think the JJ change will effect poptarts too much. Only thing to do is have the reticle continue to shake until you land. Doneskies.

#168 Silverlance

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 178 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationThe Periphery, one planet at a time.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

View PostWrayeth, on 12 July 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

The other change I take exception to is the implementation of the jump jet changes. The heat part of it is fine, but the reduced jump range even with a full set of jets is, IMO, ridiculous. The Highlander, for example, can already barely clear a short building with 3 jets, but now that height is going to be reduced? What's the point of having jump jets at all, then? If I'm brawling on an urban map, I want my damned jump jets to allow me to jump over or land on top of a building for a tactical advantage, but now that won't be possible. The Highlander is now going to be totally useless as a jumping mech, with the jets' tonnage better spent on weaponry.

I'm sorry. All I heard was. "Wah. I won't be able to poptart effectively like a troll anymore. Wah."

JJs aren't supposed to provide assaults with "I Believe I Can Fly" capabilities. They are a tool for maneuvering and clearing SMALL obstacles. You want to jump high and get on top of buildings for a tactical advantage? Pilot a medium or light mech that has JJs, and when you equip your PPC build. My Stormcrow will pop your cockpit for sticking out like a moron on top of a building that provides no cover in the first place.

#169 Urdasein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Some good things but ...

Module nerf ?! MEH!

I bet that the FOTM mechs will be nerfed with lot of "weapon" modules and few mech modules... And of course... you will have like 1 or 2 weapon module by weapon system... so mechs who are boating guns wil be even more nerfed.

If we are forced to use consumables, i hope PGI will add auto-buy feature...

#170 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I don't understand why the first jump jet gives more thrust than each one after it.

There's nothing wrong with 1 JJ only being able to get over a bump in the terrain.

You say you want people to need more than one to get around comfortably, so do it already.

#171 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostFelio, on 12 July 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I don't understand why the first jump jet gives more thrust than each one after it.

There's nothing wrong with 1 JJ only being able to get over a bump in the terrain.

You say you want people to need more than one to get around comfortably, so do it already.

In there defense, we do not know what the initial amount is for a specific mech. If they adjust those thrust values to first overcome the weight of the mech, it could be a very good system. Essentially, the "zero" line is adjusted up the graph based upon tonnage.

#172 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostSilverlance, on 12 July 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

I'm sorry. All I heard was. "Wah. I won't be able to poptart effectively like a troll anymore. Wah."

Really? I'm fairly certain you didn't even read the post you quoted. It did not say ANYTHING about poptarting.

JJs aren't supposed to provide assaults with "I Believe I Can Fly" capabilities. They are a tool for maneuvering and clearing SMALL obstacles. You want to jump high and get on top of buildings for a tactical advantage? Pilot a medium or light mech

Oh, hai! You must be new! As such, let me tell you about this game called BattleTech that MechWarrior is based off of. It has these things called "jump jets" that allow giant robots called "BattleMechs" ("'Mechs" for short) to make rocket-assisted jumps for short periods of time. They can use them to jump over their opponents and shoot them in the back, clear terrain obstacles, and even jump over or land on top of buildings! (How awesome is that?) On the same turn that they jump, 'Mechs take a penalty to their weapons fire to-hit rolls, but it's often worth it.

Let me also tell your about a specific 'Mech, the Highlander. It's large and in charge, weighing in at a whopping 90 tons of steel and myomer. It's been used for centuries on places called "battlefields" to lay waste to opposing combatants. In addition to having a great weapons loadout, it's also a lot more mobile than other 'Mechs of its tonnage thanks to having the aforementioned jump jets, which allow it to cover 90 meters in a single bound!

[Sarcasm]But, of course, buildings are all taller than that, and there's no way the mech should be able to jump over even house-sized obstacles, right?[/Sarcasm]

#173 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

View PostWrayeth, on 12 July 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Really? I'm fairly certain you didn't even read the post you quoted. It did not say ANYTHING about poptarting.

Oh, hai! You must be new! As such, let me tell you about this game called BattleTech that MechWarrior is based off of. It has these things called "jump jets" that allow giant robots called "BattleMechs" ("'Mechs" for short) to make rocket-assisted jumps for short periods of time. They can use them to jump over their opponents and shoot them in the back, clear terrain obstacles, and even jump over or land on top of buildings! (How awesome is that?) On the same turn that they jump, 'Mechs take a penalty to their weapons fire to-hit rolls, but it's often worth it.

Let me also tell your about a specific 'Mech, the Highlander. It's large and in charge, weighing in at a whopping 90 tons of steel and myomer. It's been used for centuries on places called "battlefields" to lay waste to opposing combatants. In addition to having a great weapons loadout, it's also a lot more mobile than other 'Mechs of its tonnage thanks to having the aforementioned jump jets, which allow it to cover 90 meters in a single bound!

[Sarcasm]But, of course, buildings are all taller than that, and there's no way the mech should be able to jump over even house-sized obstacles, right?[/Sarcasm]

It would be just fine if it was a true "jump" à là MWLL.

#174 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Overall, I like most of the material in the Vlog, but there are a few things I'm still iffy on.

Clan LRMs: Why ramp damage at all? It should be an all-or-nothing sort of thing. Last time a checked, a missile warhead was either armed and dangerous or unarmed - it didn't gradually become more powerful the farther it traveled. I recognize that the ramping feature is for balancing purposes, but it is very counter intuitive. I personally do not use LRMs much and prefer lasers and ballistics, but I also like to see a bit of realism in the game to make it more personable and interesting.

JJs: Overall, cool. It doesn't appear that the overhaul will affect my play style much since I already run my Mechs in the manner they described. However, I would like to see Death from Above in the game. Currently, when I jump on a Mech, it only does a percentage point or two of damage, and half the time I get stuck on the enemy's head. This leads to warping and, the next thing I know, my Mech is 50 meters away, facing the wrong direction, in front of the enemy Mech and vulnerable. This drives me nuts. I recall making successful hits against Mechs in MW4: Vengeance and Mercs, but it doesn't seem to work at all in MWO.

Maps: Veeeery good! I like the new maps and even the idea of retooling a few old ones to make new variants. I only have two suggestions though. 1) No more night maps until we have flares in the game like in MW4: Mercs. That would add a very interesting element to the night maps and make things more interesting. 2) Snow on Canyons? In the desert? Really? Can we please have dust storms instead? Or flash flooding? Or something other than snow?

Module look good too! I like how we will be able to have five or six now instead of just two (three if mastered).

Thanks PGI for the new Vlog! I think I speak for all when I say that we appreciate the communication! However, could we also have a transcript? That's a lot easier for some of us use than the video. Personally speaking, I don't often have ten or fifteen minutes between tasks to sit and watch a Vlog, and I am a very fast reader. There's a software out there that will transcribe your speakers' words into text as they speak. There's even an app for that: http://www.nuance.co...tions/index.htm

Edit: Any word on when hill climb will be fixed so that my Mech won't stop when it stubs its toe on a pebble? :P

Edited by Nightmare1, 12 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#175 Evex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm honestly a little hesitant about this new module system. While in theory it does give more module slots, these slots now act more like hard points which might be good for some unused or underused mech designs. Its another thing to consider when choosing a battlemech chassis, and I have to ask is it really needed ?

How many people use weapon modules now, and how many are going to use them with this new system ? I'm not a person inclined to use weapon modules, because I don't see any real use in the current ones. Just because you give me specific slots for them doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly start using them. I'm also concerned this would further divide the battlemechs as is, and possibly put variants on the don't play list, because it doesn't have X module slots of x type and isn't there fore meta enough, or functional. I'm also of the mind set that some battlemechs live and die by there module slots, and this change could kill some battlemechs off.

One thing that would most like elevate my worry and feelings of dread is to make modules well modular. I know that module slots aren't as one says modules, but some sort of build in, well I guess the best way to put it is PCI slots of various types. I just feel it might be better to treat modules like clan omni pods, where the player can choose if they want more consumable, weapon, or other slots. They could even charge c-bills for these changes, creating yet another c-bill sink. Right now it just seems like we are having weapon modules forced onto use, with PGI saying hear use these because they're there. Especially since master gives you another weapon module slot.

#176 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 12 July 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Overall, I like most of the material in the Vlog, but there are a few things I'm still iffy on.

Clan LRMs: Why ramp damage at all? It should be an all-or-nothing sort of thing. Last time a checked, a missile warhead was either armed and dangerous or unarmed - it didn't gradually become more powerful the farther it traveled. I recognize that the ramping feature is for balancing purposes, but it is very counter intuitive. I personally do not use LRMs much and prefer lasers and ballistics, but I also like to see a bit of realism in the game to make it more personable and interesting.

JJs: Overall, cool. It doesn't appear that the overhaul will affect my play style much since I already run my Mechs in the manner they described. However, I would like to see Death from Above in the game. Currently, when I jump on a Mech, it only does a percentage point or two of damage, and half the time I get stuck on the enemy's head. This leads to warping and, the next thing I know, my Mech is 50 meters away, facing the wrong direction, in front of the enemy Mech and vulnerable. This drives me nuts. I recall making successful hits against Mechs in MW4: Vengeance and Mercs, but it doesn't seem to work at all in MWO.

Maps: Veeeery good! I like the new maps and even the idea of retooling a few old ones to make new variants. I only have two suggestions though. 1) No more night maps until we have flares in the game like in MW4: Mercs. That would add a very interesting element to the night maps and make things more interesting. 2) Snow on Canyons? In the desert? Really? Can we please have dust storms instead? Or flash flooding? Or something other than snow?

Module look good too! I like how we will be able to have five or six now instead of just two (three if mastered).

Thanks PGI for the new Vlog! I think I speak for all when I say that we appreciate the communication! However, could we also have a transcript? That's a lot easier for some of us use than the video. Personally speaking, I don't often have ten or fifteen minutes between tasks to sit and watch a Vlog, and I am a very fast reader. There's a software out there that will transcribe your speakers' words into text as they speak. There's even an app for that: http://www.nuance.co...tions/index.htm

Edit: Any word on when hill climb will be fixed so that my Mech won't stop when it stubs its toe on a pebble? :P

I'd like to see Canyon with high water levels. Also, it can snow in the desert environment:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#177 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 12 July 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'd like to see Canyon with high water levels. Also, it can snow in the desert environment:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know it's feasible, I've seen photos on National Geographic and such, I just don't think that it's a good idea for MWO. We already have three dedicated snow maps (not including their night versions). I'd kinda like to see something different than snow for a rework, personally speaking. Plus, even though it has happened before, snow in the desert is a bit counter intuitive.

I definitely like the idea of high water tables though. That would make things very interesting.

Edit: Corrected a typo

Edited by Nightmare1, 13 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#178 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Sounds good but I will wait to see if new maps and CW show up. Maps should be released at least once a month.

#179 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 520 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

I also think opening up the map creation process to players would massively increase the numbers of maps available. Put out the map creation rules and give whoever made the map credit (crashed warship by Javin) and I think we would have a flood of new maps. Have a week of testing (perhaps credit a small amount of GXP or something to encourage testers) and then let the maps into the game. The more maps we have, the greater difference in CW planet battle fields and variety would add to the experience.

#180 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 11 July 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Kinda wish you would make the master slot an any slot. Most weapons modules are no good..

I never use ANY weapon modules or ANY consumables, so the module changes are a load of crap as far as I'm concerned. I only have a few 'mechs and I've spent a lot of cbills getting modules so I can put 3 useful 'mech modules in each one. That money is now wasted if I can only put 1 'mech module in each 'mech.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users