Zoom / Magnification

34 replies to this topic

Poll: Zoom Function (193 member(s) have cast votes)

How should zoom be handle

1. MW2 - the entire screen becomes zoomed (21 votes [10.88%])

Percentage of vote: 10.88%

2. MW3 - a small portion of the screen targetted becomes zoomed (97 votes [50.26%])

Percentage of vote: 50.26%

3. MW4 - 80% of your screen is zoomed (60 votes [31.09%])

Percentage of vote: 31.09%

4. Zoom should be eliminated. (4 votes [2.07%])

Percentage of vote: 2.07%

5. Other (11 votes [5.70%])

Percentage of vote: 5.70%

What should be the tonnage cost of zoom equipment.

1. No tonnage cost - it is part of the mech fire-control computer (108 votes [55.96%])

Percentage of vote: 55.96%

2. 1 - ton - cost of a simple target computer as per MW3 (34 votes [17.62%])

Percentage of vote: 17.62%

3. 1 ton per 4 tons of weapons it controls - TT rules for a TC (32 votes [16.58%])

Percentage of vote: 16.58%

4. Other (19 votes [9.84%])

Percentage of vote: 9.84%

Does zoom fit BattleTech lore (and TT rules)?

1. Yes (149 votes [96.13%])

Percentage of vote: 96.13%

2. No (6 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Full screen zoom. Targeting reticule still present, but no effect on convergence or accuracy, just there to make sure your reticule is over the 'Mech you're aiming at, not the tree behind it.

#22 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

I liked the MW3 zoom concept - limited window just around the reticle. I don't see any real issues with "canon" (though I'm not as versed as some people) since 'mechs are supposed to be such advanced pieces of military hardware, why shouldn't a simple optical zoom be included?

As for how it's implemented, I think all 'mechs should have some basic ability, but adding either a targeting computer (tonnage and crits) or Scout 'mech modules (module slots) should allow a higher magnification and better resolution of targets. Zoom range should be decreased when using low-light vision or other targetting modes like IR and EM.

#23 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

How should zoom be handle?

IMO, it should be a small section of the field of view, centered at the center of the field of view.
This would be rationalized as having been done to prevent being flanked and attacked by surprise through "zoomed tunnel-vision".

What should be the tonnage cost of zoom equipment?

IMO basic zoom/magnification equipment should be considered built-into the 'Mech and should come at no additional tonnage or space cost.
IMO, improvements upon the basic functionality, by equipment or by modules, should have some cost (tonnage and/or space) associated with it.

Does zoom fit BattleTech lore (and TT rules)?

Yes.
Rangefinder Binoculars:

Rangefinder Binoculars are special binoculars that combine the functions of a binocular, telescope and infrared sensor. These binoculars have a maximum range of 100 kilometers and magnification of 400x, and display information such as distance and light levels through an LCD display. In inclement weather, the binoculars boast both infrared and ultraviolet vision, allowing for their use even in total darkness. While durable, the binoculars' microelectronics and difficult to adjust or repair, limiting their use.
If it can be built into a set of binoculars, it can be built into a BattleMech, yes? ;)

#24 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

devs talked about it and i dont mind the system they have hinted at. 80% of the screen works imo. that way theres the possibility of getting ambushed while your zoomed out.

#25 Rastan

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Zoom box/cricle, Personally don't think zooming should cost anything but making it part of the targeting computer would also be ok.

#26 Pulispher

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Zoom is fine,but I dont think you should be able to fire while zooming.

#27 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

In MW4 there are two levels of zoom, one with enhanced optics and one without. Enhanced optics only changed how big the zoom window was, but didn't make the zoom more powerful. I'd be fine with either of those zooms in terms of screen size.

MW3's tiny zoom window worked because all weapons were on the floating reticule with the zoom.

#28 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

MW2/MWLL style of zoom(that is full-scree zoom) is way more convenient than MW3/MW4(zoom box). Using zoom box for targeting is extremely inconvenient, even frustrating at times, fullscreen zoom is way better both for observation and targeting.

As for the second poll, the best option would be "1 ton per 4 weapons controlled" Think of it not as a magnification equipment per se, but rather as a fine targeting control unit that is required to aim weapons while zoomed. Such approach would be an additional anti-boating measure.

#29 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

How about "All of the Above"? I don't think it would make sense to have a zoom weigh 1 ton anyway, remember there are modules that can be chosen, so why not have different zoom levels and even different zoom types based on which module you install? Prefer the Mechwarrior 3 tiny view window, install that one ... prefer the full screen zoom, install it instead! If you don't care about zoom because you're a close range brawler, use module slots for other things.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 09 April 2012 - 06:09 AM.

#30 A6PackofToucans

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

I liked the zoom of MW4, but when it comes to having targeting aids while zoomed in I don't think they should be available unless a special targeting computer is installed on the mech, 1 ton per 4 tons of weapons it would be required to control. Also, if a targeting computer is installed and it's showing you where to lead the moving target at long range, I feel if the enemy mech has ECM that the lead indicator would change color, and be erratic like it was in MW3 to degrade the computers accuracy. This still would give the user a rough idea of where to pull lead, but also have enough error that you could still miss your target since your making a guess from a degraded targeting solution.

The Targeting computer could get as heavy as 5 tons while using it with gauss, ppc and other long range weapons, so this would really cut into your available crit space and how you manage your mech, something to think about when having such a powerful targeting system, but it should be a very useful long range solution if your willing to install such a system on your mech.

#31 LaorDeLove

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 77 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

In an Awesome, I would prefer to be able to see what I am aiming at when they are close to the PPC's max range. If Big Al (Atlas) looks like an elemental at that range, I might be better off taking a Hunchback. I answered other, 1 Ton, No. For other I would be interested in a slight zoom that either is a box zoom that less than 50% of the screen. If it went with a advance targeting computer, it would be ideal to have it adjustable by .25 zoom factors or .50 factor; I would also say it should be 2 tons instead of the 1 ton for standard. This does promote sniping, but we are fighting in cities as well. If I am piloting an Awesome in Chicago or New York City, I would have fewer opportunities to hit from long range then say if I was in the Sahara Desert. I said 1 ton because it would help balance the long vs short. The extra ton could be used for ammo for an AC20; the more the merrier right? I said no because I do not know the rules with TT zoom. This is my opinion, and I hope the devs come up with a solution that pleases most people. ;)

#32 Siilk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 09 April 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

How about "All of the Above"? I don't think it would make sense to have a zoom weigh 1 ton anyway, remember there are modules that can be chosen, so why not have different zoom levels and even different zoom types based on which module you install? Prefer the Mechwarrior 3 tiny view window, install that one ... prefer the full screen zoom, install it instead! If you don't care about zoom because you're a close range brawler, use module slots for other things.

Again, this brings up my idea about similar modules made by different manufacturers working slightly differently? I suggested it for ACs some time ago but here it could work too.

#33 Hound

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

MW4 system is good

with no tonnage cost

and these type of optics do fit into Battletech lore

#34 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 19 November 2011 - 06:52 AM, said:

Zoom 50% screen to 2X without a Reticule. The Zoom should provide a view for added info, not better aiming. After all the nonsense in the CoF Boats and Pin Point shooting threads, why anyone would want a high end zoom shooting tool seems totally counter productive really.

If you think you see something out in the distance that is not quite hidden, hit Zoom. "Ahhh, Boss I have acquired a visual on a partially hidden target. I estimate 1200m out. By the look of the head configuration I am guessing it is a Rifleman. You want I should investigate?"

View PostCreel, on 19 November 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

I agree with this. Zoom is useful as a visual tool, and optical enhancement of many kinds makes sense with the established tech. What it should not do, is help you fire more accurately.

Why do people hate skill?

#35 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Zoom should be like Mechwarrior 2, in my opinion. It allowed for any zoom between minimum and maximum zoom, as opposed to Mechwarrior 3's single level of zoom, and Mechwarrior 4's box, or larger box (with enhanced zoom). Mechwarrior 2 allowed you a lot of variance, it was much more like focusing binoculars in and out for great visual enhancement at any distance.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users