Changes To The Module Slot System

314 replies to this topic

#141 Daehoth

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Great, thank you for listening to the community PGI.

This will go 'some' way to appeasing your player base since the intent is still to go ahead to change up the module slot system (which many players still say isn't broken and thus, does not need fixing at this time - concentrate on community warfare!)

Your precious time can be better spent elsewhere..

In the future though, I do hope more forethought will be given before deciding to abruptly change something or at the very least shed more clarity of why such a 'drastic' change is deemed necessary.

My thanks in advance PGI.

Ps. Don't get me wrong, I still think this module change is going to fail in the current state that consumables and weapon modules stand. There's very little doubt in a lot of people's minds that this will fail. We are NOT spending money on consumables, period. But oh well, let's wait to see PGI's 'wisdom' unravel and ultimately reveal if players' current unrest about this topic is just and merited or not. :)

Edited by Daehoth, 22 July 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#142 Tynan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

I don't think this is a good change, at all. Splitting them into Consumable / Weapon / Mech modules is passing up what could have been a very solid chance to actually introduce some roles to various mechs, especially given the fairly huge number of mech modules. The problem here is that some of these modules are almost must-haves if you're going to take anything at all.

Why not break them down in Sensor modules / mechanical (things like hill climb, gyro, etc) / targeting, etc, and give them out that way? You could push the Raven, for example, into its intended role as an EW mech by giving it numerous Sensor module slots but zero or one weapon module. Conversely, you could give Jagers more targetting / weapon module slots, etc.

Vassago's right, everyone who's been using a decent mix of mech modules to the exclusion of the dubious-at-best weapon modules and consumables is getting pushed into using them. What could have been a solid opportunity to make mechs more unique is being squandered by giving them cookie cutter module slots.

I sincerely hope I'm reading this wrong, but what it looks like is that we're getting more slots, but because every mech is going to have the same generic slot restrictions everyone's going to take the same modules with a few slight variations.

#143 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 21 July 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Changes to the Module Slot System

In Vlog #6 we stated, that the additional module you receive when mastering a Mech was a Weapon Module. We decided to change this module slot to a Mech Module slot for the launch of the feature.

In an upcoming patch (either the next patch or the one following): This Mech Module slot will be changed to a hybrid Weapon / Mech Module slot. This means you will be able to equip either a Weapon Module or a Mech Module. You can change this at any time based on your preference.

I almost posted something on Friday about this.... Bravo for reading my mind! Great choice to make it any module type!

Summoner + Shock Absorbance + Radar Deprivation = Sexy!

Edited by Creovex, 22 July 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#144 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

The proper way to handle weapon modules would be to have them be mutually exclusive buffs; i.e., you can reduce heat, increase range, reduce CD etc., but can only pick one. That way there would always be incentive to use at least one.

That doesn't really address the issue of mechs that only use one or two weapon systems not needing three+ weapon mod slots, though

#145 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostOrbit Rain, on 21 July 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

My feedback...Limit consumables to one module slot total. You *know* we're here to play mechs, not perish to RNG's from non-mechs. Find something else to sink cbills in match.

YES.

#146 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Reduce heat penalties to weapon modules, or reduce ranges and eliminate heat penalties. Tweak them a bit an make them more attractive. The bonuses don't have to be great but they're modules so a they should feel like they're giving a bonus.

#147 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Yes. Some of the weapon moduls are at the moment not a Bonus. Use of them is a disadvantage. So why should we do it?

#148 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

The proposed module system is good in principle and a step forward...

HOWEVER

It needs to be accompanied by a full balance pass on all modules, concentrating on consumables and weapon modules.

Modules have developed and been introduced in fits and starts and some are obviously stronger than others, leading to little real tactical choice. Weapon modules in particular need a fresh look. At the moment some weapon modules such as lasers would actually make your mech worse!

#149 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:40 PM

In Vlog #6 we stated, that the additional module you receive when mastering a Mech was a Weapon Module. We decided to change this module slot to a Mech Module slot for the launch of the feature.

In an upcoming patch (either the next patch or the one following): This Mech Module slot will be changed to a hybrid Weapon / Mech Module slot. This means you will be able to equip either a Weapon Module or a Mech Module. You can change this at any time based on your preference.

This new modules system [don't meet expectations]. but some of you think that is a great idea! [Come on]! Why do you force us to use modules that some of us do not want to use? Keep the free choice otherwise i guarantee you that you will lose another member from the community!!! It is your turn!!!

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 23 July 2014 - 02:57 PM.
Language

#150 Mechwit

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

I think it would be much better if they give you one from all three module types to unlock but you can only chose one at a time to be able to use, this gives everyone the option of customizing their mech the way it suits them.

#151 StealthSlicer

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 40 posts
  • LocationIn the Dire Wolf behind you, what I do from there depends if you’re hostile...

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 July 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

We appreciate these might not be the changes you personally want, but they are the ones expected or desired by the majority of players and will open the door for further improvements.

Majority of players? Oh rly PGI? (In regards to the changes in the module system overall, not the "Hybrid" slot which seems to be the only good coming of this.)

#152 SVK Puskin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 822 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

What is your argument to Mechs with only 1 weapon system? Huh?

Edited by ENS Puskin, 23 July 2014 - 02:22 AM.

#153 Crifuan

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

A good decision to change the master-slot into a hybrid weapon- and mech-sot. thanks.

#154 Escobar

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAdana, Turkey

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostShadow Magnet, on 21 July 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

I really like the idea of role modules mentioned before, though I would give them more features and make them available at master level only (so mastering does unlock a role module slot), with more than 1 tier to have long time motivation:

These would be tier 2 (cost 50.000 GXP, 20.000.000 CBills)

* Brawler:

- you get 75% less damage if damage comes from > 500m
- you get 50% less damage if damage comes from 350-500m
- you get 25% less damage if damage comes from 200-350m

Holy [cow] I made it through this whole thread without needing to log in until I saw this one.

What you describe essentially is 'magic' and makes no physical sense at all. If 'magic' enters in to this simulation, then please add support modules to freeze all enemy mechs in place for 30 seconds, or whatever nonsense you can dream up, while I uninstall.

Points for thinking outside the box, but my god man -- get back inside the box!!!

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 23 July 2014 - 02:59 PM.
Language

#155 Escobar

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAdana, Turkey

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Just a thought to provide an opposing suggestion to 'magic' abilities that I have seen suggested, and to clarify what I mean by that, as it relates to Roles (which aren't even a real thing I know, but...)

Brawler Unlockable(s)
-- Magic: I deflect somehow incoming fire from range better because I am a brawler
-- Science: I am an accomplished brawler, my HUD is enhanced with better localized information (sub 250m for example). Enhanced HUD? Maybe highlighting of the more critically damaged components on an enemy mech under the crosshairs. I dont know, any of the bits if info I get when I press 'Q' floating over local enemy mechs so I am better alerted of my local threat/situation. Nothing magic there, it simply simulates my heightened awareness of the local situation.

Sniper Unlockable(s)
-- Magic: I do better damage, just because
-- Science: Enhanced HUD for whatever is under the crosshairs. No range restriction, why should there be. Is there a sniper who can hit at 1000m but cant hit at 200? Maybe there is, maybe range comes in to play. dont know

Support/Scout/Command Unlockables:
-- Magic: Gah, I hate 'magic'
-- Science: More accurate airstrike/arty placement? Grid information in HUD so I can relay position/situation info to my teammates faster and more accurately? Better LRM indirect fire chances?

And so on

Feel free to trash these, but if its a believable skill unlock, i am good. If its just pulled out of the ..., er, air, count me out. Ive already got trouble with extending the range of a weapon as a skill, no matter how small the bonus - although I guess it is justified as being an enhancement to the weapon deployed to the mech, it still strikes me as not quite right. Id rather see 'Tweaked MLSR MkII' in the shop for sale and I buy it for 20k CBills more and I deploy it side by side with 'MLSR MkII' on the same mech, but only it receives the range/heat buff, but hey, i guess thats just too complicated.

#156 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I'm still not happy with this change. I'll be putting Hill Climb on just about all of my assault mechs to make their movement profile tolerable, which means I'll really only have one module slot (as long as the mech in question is mastered). If hill climb wasn't pretty much mandatory on assaults to prevent smashing my keyboard in frustration with the movement profile, I wouldn't have such an objection to the change in module layout.

#157 Roper Band

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 83 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

Does hill climb make that much of a difference? I figured 10% wasn't worth the cost of using it.

#158 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

ANYTHING is a help. I get totally sick of getting stuck on terrain, and there is a noticeable difference.

#159 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

Did some playtime with some more weapon modules last night.

My god, the amount of GXP and CBills required to add 10m to my medium laser range is a STUPID.

Things I could've bought with those 3,000,000 CB:
-The upgrades I've always needed on that mech I've 'been meaning to master'
-Some consumables, or that extra Gauss Rifle I've been eyeing.
-A whole new light mech or almost-a-medium mech
-Four houses in a suburban neighbourhood

#160 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostENS Puskin, on 22 July 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

Why do you force us to use modules that some of us do not want to use? Keep the free choice otherwise i guarantee you that you will lose another member from the community!!! It is your turn!!!

No one is "forcing" you to do anything. I think your turn could have been spent a bit more wisely, so feel free to try again.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users