• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 30 July 2014 - 01:54 AM, said:

Edit: I will have the thread know that Bryan has repeatedly said the weapon mods are 'low level content,' so why are they so expensive and bad?

They are cheap on GXP i think? However the cbill cost is rediculous and not entry level in any way

#122 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 30 July 2014 - 01:33 AM, said:

It's important to keep in mind modules are intended to be a late-game / veteran stage item.

How can they be "veteran content" when any veteran can see with one look that they are utter garbage and not even close to being worth their cost? Only a total nub would buy them right now, and that's because he doesn't understand what he is buying.

#123 Voidrazor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

I haven't always agreed with the tweaks PGI has made to the game, but up until now they have made a certain amount of sense to me. But as a player who has spent about $300-$400 on the game, the latest changes make me feel cheated. Admittedly, I've never given consumables much of a chance. I suppose I could afford to spend 40k in cbills each match, but the appeal of games that involve a grind is that you are saving up for something cool. Spending ~1/3 of that per game income on a temporary advantage, as a PUG player, just isn't something I'm inclined to do. Its strange; I wouldn't like it if all cbill prices went up by a third, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. But forcing me to "give away" part of my loot as I earn it, in order to remain competitive, is a huge deal breaker. That may not make sense objectively, but in terms of the psychology of what makes games fun, dedicating 2 slots to consumables breaks something. And every damn artillery strike, which didn't bother me before, will now be infuriating.

Taking away a general slot (on average) and claiming that it will increase choice and modification options, when obviously the opposite is true, is another slap in the face. For me the removal essentially means I have no choice on the general slot. With a few exceptions (LRM boats, and dedicated point-blank brawlers) I have to run advanced zoom. Other people may run other things, but for me to hit anything beyond about 400m adv. zoom is absolutely required. I expect that among PGI's customer base of people over 40 years old, this is not a rarity. And while us oldsters may be a minority, I suspect that we make up a fairly significant percentage of those who drop a lot of money on the game.

So I'll check back in a while to see if this mess gets cleaned up. But in the meantime I doubt that I'll be playing. And if the problem isn't fixed, I'll be among those requesting a refund

#124 Cest7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

Get rid of consumables entirely. They should have never been implemented in game.

#125 Maalus Rahje

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

While I'm overall pleased with the new module layout, there are some serious holes here:

PROS

-Consumables finally getting their own slots and auto reload feature

CONS

-3,000,000 cbills for a very minor change in 1 type of weapon's range, with drawbacks? Thats the cost of a light mech.

-Copy/paste iteration of clan versions? Couldn't put a "little" bit of effort and at least put up LB2X, LB5X, and LB20X to make it look like more of a serious effort?

I'm glad I only unlocked 2 before looking at the price. You want me to use weapon modules? Make them worth thier cost or drop them to a more appropriate price like 500,000 cbills. How about we get some useful stuff too, like cooling jackets for weapons, or rate of fire increases, or damage buffs (with appropriate drawbacks). This is just coming accross as another GXP/CBILL sink in its current implementation.

Edited by Maalus Rahje, 30 July 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#126 Brienne

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFrog heaven

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

I wont buy any weapon modules; far too expensive for almost zero interest (except AMS ones)

I won't buy others modules, because I guess PGI will change these new rules very soon.

Mates who bought Hill Climb, Shock absorbance,... Sorry... You ve been screwed.

#127 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

All my mechs have 2 Mech modules and thats it now.
(I used to use the occasional consumable but prefer to keep the cbills from a match so dont any more).
Weapon modules are still useless for the most part.

Arty / airstrike spam has increased from the few games ive played - worst match was where i saw at least 12 dropped in a small corridor oblitering about 6 mechs at once. That was the match over right there.
Arty / airstrike / UAV should really be restricted in some way (be it, only one of either of these per mech or something)

#128 Suzano

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 29 July 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Here's the latest word from the Dev Team on Modules! Please tell us what you think!

What i think? This patch is bullshit and your explanation too.

read the feedback- threads and you will know why.

#129 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

This patch is a major buff to all the (extremely lame) players who always used to take 2 strikes anyway, they all get an extra module slot to use, yay for them!

to those of us who think that strikes are lame, and either shouldn't be in the game or should be limited to command mechs got nerfed, or forced into using what we hate.

Make it so strikes do NOT add their damage to your end of match score, or their kills (maybe add a little Cbill 'good strike called in' reward). They will still be just as good, but will no longer unfairly inflate epeens, and so should see less spam

#130 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostMadPanda, on 30 July 2014 - 02:13 AM, said:

How can they be "veteran content" when any veteran can see with one look that they are utter garbage and not even close to being worth their cost? Only a total nub would buy them right now, and that's because he doesn't understand what he is buying.

It's like that time Paul said that atlases are end-game top tier assault mech avatars, and awesomes are entry level assault avatars.

Except there is no such thing as progression in MWO. Spending 15 million on awesomes simply puts you 15 million away from atlases. Modules are sort of similar in how X resource buys you 360 targeting or seismic.

#131 Hamish McPiton

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 81 posts
  • LocationFishing out of my cockpit hatch.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

I did the grind on the Jagers so I could get that extra slot - now you take it away. I almost always use advanced zoom, advanced sensor range, and now I can't put seismic in there, too. Good job A@#hats. And after nerfing my ac5's and ac2's I guess I'll have wind up using nothing but flamers, machine guns and airstrikes galore. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

#132 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

Nobody will use the weapon modules unless you either remove the heat penalties AND double the range bonuses or just remove a zero from the cost of weapon modules.

Any plans to boost role warfare as suggested earlier?

That would go well together with this module change and further boost role warfare. Hell, it would give you information warfare at the same time...

Edited by Rasc4l, 30 July 2014 - 03:39 AM.

#133 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:34 AM

View Poststjobe, on 29 July 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

Here's what you should have done.

CLASSIC example of PGI NOT reading its own design docs.

That above is moderately reasonable.

What you have done AT THIS VERY MOMENT is

1 - handicap all Inner Sphere Mechs, in the face Clan counterparts
2 - created matches of constant air and artillery spam.
3 - Put TWO Weapon Slots on LRM Mech's, (Catapult C1, C4, A1 ) why, JUST WHY when LRMs have no module.
4 - GIVEN US ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO USE WEAPON MODULES BECAUSE THEY ARE TOTAL BS

PGI's Alpha Male Chimp, and Beta Chimp (yea you know who I mean) need to stop being HELL BENT on destroying this game (Historical Note:- Every game PGI has ever written/been involved in has flopped. Just look at Duke Nukem.....) or obsoleting Inner Sphere Mechs, because the Alpha Chimps vision of Clan vs IS Community Warfare will be dead by the beginning of December when everyone changes their Tech to Clan.

Planning, PGI don't got it right....

EDIT:-

I'm actually seriously considering getting my Clan Pack refunded.

I was wrong to support them after they screw us over again, and again, and again, and.....ad infinitum....

Edited by GlycerineOxide, 30 July 2014 - 04:07 AM.

#134 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

Nikolai,

Quick thoughts:

Not impressed at all with the new module system. Modules should make the game more fun with players able to load up a handful of useful ones onto their favourite mech, yet these changes make it less fun because it's the mech module we want, not the idiot weapons ones.

Nobody is interested in the weapons modules. They're rubbish. I know it. You know it.

Trying to incentive players to spam artillery is dumb. Spammed artillery makes games less fun.

The last patch made JJ useless for mobility leaving my Thor looking very sad. I was not impressed. This is the second patch in a row that has made the game play worse rather than better.

Why try so hard to antagonise your own customers?

#135 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

I love the idea of the new system.
I don't love the fact that there are no modules for PPC's and LRM's my two heavy weapons of choice.
This means that my Catapults and Awesomes and Griffins get little in the way of weapon slot choices. All other weapons get upgrades.

What gives?

#136 Hannibal Chow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 143 posts
  • LocationGibson FWL

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

Great, so you muppets "fix" something that none of us really had issues with!
Awesome job PGi just awesome

It would just be so refreshing if you guys actually did something constructive instead of totally pointless fixes.

Kudos Paul and Nikolai, well played.

NOT ONE PENNY MORE!

#137 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 30 July 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

I love the idea of the new system.
I don't love the fact that there are no modules for PPC's and LRM's my two heavy weapons of choice.
This means that my Catapults and Awesomes and Griffins get little in the way of weapon slot choices. All other weapons get upgrades.

What gives?

The 2460 gun is obviously using a far more advanced tech base than 2600s laser weaponry.

#138 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'm not playing again until you have rolled this one back, or introduced changes whereby I can use three useful modules on my mechs, as before.

We told you this was a bad idea, and you went and did it anyways.

To be polite, @#$% you :)

#139 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

View PostKoniving, on 29 July 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

Psst.

The intelligent people encouraging PGI to stick to what they originally proposed in 2012 that got us all so interested in the game are the 1 to 2% of hardcore battletech fans that are on an island.

Welcome to the island. We've got martinis and there's bets to be placed. It's actually pretty fun, so long as you don't mind the goat. Careful when you bend over. Because when you do, the goat's been known to do horrific things that will ruin your hopes and dreams for the franchise.
Thanks! I guess it's good to be here. I've been swimming for a while... damn sharks almost got me a couple of times... the smell of barbecue beef wafting all around this group of islands is what kept me going, not so big on martini's.

Every time I think PGI have finally got it, every time I think they might finally be listening, I get the dog **** hammered out of me. Y'know, I am truly beginning to think PGI have taken a wife beater mentality... they told us what they wanted to do with the game, but they take their time to do it, probably sitting in the recliner drinking beer all day, scratching themselves whenever the fancy strikes. Then, just because we said something they didn't like, BAM, we're knocked to the floor with something this bad. Then, they come and love on us a little bit with a patch or two that's good, promising by proxy they'll never do this again, then BAM, the kitchen counter gets to meet our collective nose forcibly... etc.

So, who's the real bad guy, here... PGI for telling us and then going back on that, wholesale, or us for sticking around and taking the ******* abuse.

Russ, Bryan, Paul... you need to get back to the roots of this game, the things YOU published in the first several blogs YOU wrote, the things that brought so many more veterans into this game environment than I thought were still alive. What the hell are you guys doing? Because, it's certainly NOT producing the game you said you were going to make.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 30 July 2014 - 05:23 AM.

#140 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

I do have an excuse to slap an extended range MG module on my Arrow and Ember now, so there's that. I might toss in for one of the AMS modules, too, especially for the dual AMS mechs. BUT...this isn't role warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users