Just Not Having Fun Anymore.

74 replies to this topic

#1 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

If you still have fun with MWO, please by all means, enjoy. My fun however, has been drained out long ago, each new feature or fix makes this game worse and worse. The only thing I had left that was fun was taking screenshots, and even now that is much MUCH harder because groups of two get placed in the group que only.

Logging off.

~Red

#2 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Well...bye

Edited by Trevor Belmont, 04 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#3 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

I have a >1.0 w/l record in small groups in the group queue. I think some people just aren't satisfied if they aren't winning every single game they drop.

GL out there.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

A tip of my hat to you, Lordred. I'll really miss your awesome screenies.

Hope to see you back again some day.

#5 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

I haven't seen a "Can have stuff" thread in a long time, kudos.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

I'm bored with what is in place and the lack of any new content. I still keep playing though, but just not that much anymore. If I guessed, maybe 2 hours a week on average.

I understand being bored, but I find this little display the OP is putting on is a bit over dramatic.

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

The times I saw you with Koniving, one though always went through my head. He needs a blue paint job on that mech with "Press" in big white letters on the back and front.

Take a break, I have a feeling that we are in for some major additions to the game for the rest of the year. Then come back and see what it is like.

I will also be spending less time playing, but for other reasons. Going to the cabin to watch the turkeys, deer, bears, and other little critters from now through the beginning of winter. I did the same last year, but that was right after I found a way to play that was enjoyable to me and that I was good at. Sometimes we just need to recharge our batteries with life.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostLordred, on 04 August 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

If you still have fun with MWO, please by all means, enjoy. My fun however, has been drained out long ago, each new feature or fix makes this game worse and worse. The only thing I had left that was fun was taking screenshots, and even now that is much MUCH harder because groups of two get placed in the group que only.

Logging off.

~Red

That's OK. I seeing you and Koniving (the rare times we see each other really).

I apologize on behalf of the disappointed that it took a very slow and mismanaged company to crush your enjoyment and squashing its own potential for quick hacks/fixes and lack of long term foresight for keeping everyone happy with this game.

#9 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

And another content creator leaves the game.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 04 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

I have a >1.0 w/l record in small groups in the group queue. I think some people just aren't satisfied if they aren't winning every single game they drop.

GL out there.

Truth be told, Lordred wasn't someone who had to win matches.

The game just is not battletech. It uses the names and that's about it. The balance is awful, the gravity is warped, the game itself simply isn't what the developer described in the many dev blogs. When problems arise, they do their best to treat various symptoms but not the cause.

For example, the cause of fall damage complications with their newest implementation is that mechs accelerate to a dangerous speed 3 times faster than they should given the established universal gravity. Rather than fixing it (which in turn would make Poptarts easier to hit as they would accelerate downward slower and virtually 'stop' in air during the transition from upward inertia to gravity's pull, thus truly addressing the poptart situation while preventing mechs from breaking their legs for 'walking down the stairs' on a 3 meter fall), PGI adjusted it to give us a 6 meter buffer for lights.

Gauss Rifles are fine, but PPCs have been an issue since they began to register hits. Convoluted mechanics were built to bandage the problem rather than fix the core issue of heat threshold being ridiculous. (With 30 threshold, it's 15 seconds to cool to zero with 10 true DHS, 30 seconds with 10 SHS. Funny enough the very reason SHS is useless in this game is that it takes 40 seconds to cool with them with 10 SHS and no unlocks and LONGER after unlocks despite faster cooling; and no matter what it will always have LESS alpha strike potential than an equivalent amount of DHS. It takes 10 DHS with a 250 engine only 25 seconds with no unlocks. But if you have a 180 engine and 10 DHS it takes 25.5 seconds to cool with a smaller threshold [so for a light mech with a 180 engine as many can't equip more than a 235 engine, you are made virtually worthless], meaning you cannot fire as much in addition to having weaker armor and many other issues). Threshold But ultimately, the PPC issue is always ignored.
====
Edit: It's currently possible to have a threshold in excess of 110. That's 11 PPCs fired at the same time without ghost heat, just to shut down for less than 1 second. And this is on the Inner Sphere side...with an Awesome. Food for thought. Clans can reach quite a bit higher provided they do NOT have Endo Steel (it prevents mounting of a number of necessary DHS).
====
One could go on and on, about issues where assaults and heavies are the mainstay, where lights of 20 and 35 tons could have even chances when it came to armor (Locust and Jenner D come to mind), where lore is ignored, where objectives are of such little significance that it is actually considered "Trolling" to play to them as it makes BOTH teams lose potential money to accomplish the objective.

Long range weapons keep getting reduced heat, Clan brawling weapons are about at canon values for heat, but IS brawling lasers are ABOVE canon values for heat, meaning they are too hot and unable to properly compete.
Example:
  • Canon values for IS ML and SL: 3 heat, 1 heat.
  • MWO values for IS ML and SL: 4 heat, 2 heat.
  • Canon values for Clan ER ML and ER SL: 5 heat and 3 heat.
  • MWO values for Clan ER ML and ER SL: 5 heat and 3 heat).
  • Canon values for universal ER LL: 12 heat. 2 damage greater for Clan.
  • MWO values for universal ER LL: 8.5 heat, 2.25 damage greater for Clan.
  • Canon values for LPL heat: 10 heat. (IS LPL was 9 damage and Clan was 10 damage).
  • MWO values for LPL: 8 heat. (IS LPL does 10.6 damage and Clan was 11.8...why?)
Everything values long range. Everything. It's more damage, more efficient, etc. In MWO long range is everything which is very poor for game balance and instead encourages un-fun camp festivals where the greatest and most range-enhanced light show is the only thing to do. Even the weapon modules ONLY enhance range. Nothing else. Range only. That's the only thing that has any value in this game. Targeting computers enhance range, modules enhance range. Know what enhances firing speed or makes guns run cooler? Nothing that you can get (without a faux skill tree full of 'skills' of which many don't work and all are generic and over-enhancing).

Where Battletech valued close range, everything was better the closer you got. MLs were loads better than an ER LL as you could fire 4 ML for every ER LL in terms of heat. Here in MWO, you can't even fire 2 ML within the heat of 1 ER LL. Want to know why brawling is dead? It's not efficient.

Information warfare has had many missed opportunities. ECM could have been a gold mine of dynamic gameplay opportunities. Instead it's a cloaking device (which btw ECM could NOT jam or stop anything beyond 180 meters except Artemis, NARC, BAP, and Thermal/MAG/Night Vision modes as well as active radar. Didn't do jack to passive basic on-sight sensors which...interestingly enough... is ALL MWO has; a module giving advanced range is not advanced sensors. Active area radar is.)

Role warfare, truth be told... if a game has to bribe players to play their roles then clearly the game has failed to provide the tools to play those roles. Every time a new role is introduced, it's promptly hammered down on. (See 6 AC/2 Jagermech fire suppression, see glass cannons, see ghost heat, see just about everything that doesn't involve a PPC).

I'm personally discouraged, but will wait to let PGI try to redeem itself with CW. Though right now the balance while 'close' to what they envision... is little more than a pop-tart festival. I miss closed beta. The game was tactical and actually was the thinking person's shooter, with time-delayed convergence handling pinpoint issues, low thresholds, mechs that handled like mechs rather than gundams, and a medium mech at 64.8 kph and a light mech at 81 kph were viable pieces of equipment that could confront and take down Atlases with skill and cunning.

Edited by Koniving, 04 August 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#11 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

View PostLordred, on 04 August 2014 - 08:14 AM, said:

Logging off.

~Red

Lordred, I invite you to spend some time in Lordran... Dark Souls is calling you. It's how I spent my money. And I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Posted Image

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Just for education's sake...
Fun and not fun vids.
Spoiler

And most of the fun is dated 2012 and 2013, with some in limited spurts in 2014..
And the vids of late 2013 to 2014... all combat takes place in exactly the same place with no diversity, no straying from the typical play, and any time an attempt is made, those who try new things "caused the team to lose."

Try going for the objective for once, and you'll get this.

Back in the day, you'd see EVERYONE go for the base and encourage it. And you were praised for a good base defense.

When you are scorned for playing to the objectives, something is very wrong.

Edited by Koniving, 04 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#13 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

I have more fun playing Stock Mech Mondays than anything in the open ques. I get where you're coming from.

#14 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

Fun left the building a long time ago... I'm just making sure I make the most out of $500 front row seat of a train wreck...

#15 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

If PGI released a Mech Bedazzling kit Lordred would be having fun and sticking around.
DO IT PGI!

#16 Athalus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

Very sad to hear this, "The Perfect Screenshot Thread" made this game so much more awesome. Maybe we'll see you back sometime?

#17 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Perhaps you could join us for Stock Mech Monday tonight?

Ending your MWO experience with Stock mechs might be a more BattleTech experience.

#18 The Dreaded Baron B Killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

happens.. just a week off and come back

#19 JTAlweezy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 269 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 04 August 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Well...bye

typical fanboy response. These are similar to people who would let the police into their home without a warrent. lmfao

#20 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

I find I have to maintain my interest in the game through my Clan, but mostly through reading the Btech novels.

I can completely understand.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users