Select Camo Pattern For Loading Map

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Add in a Camo selection option for loading games/maps (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Would we like a way to choose which camo patterns/mech colors we use for each match?

1. Yes (48 votes [84.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 84.21%

2. No (9 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Creeping Deth

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

Please add in a feature where people that have purchased camo patterns and colors for their Mechs can select which they would like to use for the map that is loading from a saved list for each Mech. (3 choices would be nice)

During the "Ready Up" phase for the loading match you could add a drop down menu somewhere up top of the GUI close to the "Ready Up" button that would allow you to choose from your 3 saved options of your camo patterns.

Why 3 choices? I say 3 because that should be sufficient enough to cover a summer, winter and night choice of patterns. I know many people including myself that haven't bought into any camo patterns and colors because there isn't allot you can do to choose which you will use for each map that loads.

This functionality would probably entice more players to invest in said camo patterns and colors if they could change which they used for the current loading match.

#2 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:55 AM

No. For the same reason they don't allow mech preference after a map is selected. Could you imagine the Energy mayhem on a cold map? Or the ballistic chaos on a hot map?? If everyone could choose their camo before a match, everyone would be the same scheme for that specific map. It would ruin the randomness of it all. IMO, the colors and patterns are vanity items

Edited by Team Chevy86, 08 August 2014 - 03:56 AM.

#3 Creeping Deth

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

I appreciate your opinion, but I have to firmly disagree.

I find it hard to believe that with 20 different camouflage patterns, 50 different colors and 3 paint zones to paint (primary/secondary/tertiary) that we would all "look" the same.

Especially with thousands of people playing and all with different tastes in colors and patterns.

#4 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

Greetings all,

Here's a suggestion,

Allow the game to automatically alter the Mech's Camo to one of the seasonal Camo's for each map.

- This will not change if the player has selected a set layout pattern for there Mech.
(House or Faction colours and Pattern)
- Allow a view (out of game) of the 'Pre-set' Camo layout so Players can decide if they want there own colours and patterns or the 'Seasonal' will do for the Drops they are planning.

- If the Mech is in default colours then 'seasonal' Camo is auto applied to the Mech.
- This could be determined by PGI for each map, with two different selections, one for each side.

(this requires the art team to 'go back in' and apply pre-set seasonal Camo's on the Mech models. Time and cost now expended with little return except some more 'eye candy'.)

Most Factions had a few colour/Pattern/Camo selections they normally applied to there Mech's,
1. Standard unit,
2. Parade,
3. and field specific Camo.

- Depending on the Mission the field Camo may be the only applied colours used, sometimes surprise is all that was needed. And on winter/snow specific environments, not being seen is in your advantage.

This does not mean that unit 'decals' will disappear, the id markings for units will still be presented with the Camo behind these. So players can still 'represent' there unit but be in local seasonal Camo.

If it's going to be done it needs to be 'auto applied' by the game map and not 'selected' by the player. As we progress further into CW and Planetary locations and Contracts are brought in this may change. With Contracts the Player or group will know where they are going and what the environment is, you pre select your Camo for that location. Faction players may not have specifics on just where they are going next? Clans should know what the next Planet is they are assaulting.

Just some idea's,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 08 August 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#5 Legendary Leo

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:31 AM

This would be a cool feature!

I personally haven't bought any colors or patterns as of yet because of the high cost and them being "Per Mech" not "Per Account" or even for all the chassis variants that you bought the stuff for.

Plus the fact that there is no before the match starts customization. As you pointed out, if I could at least select a winter set up for a snow map or a dark color set up for a night match, I might be more inclined to purchase some.

Thanks for the idea!

#6 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:51 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 08 August 2014 - 03:55 AM, said:

No. For the same reason they don't allow mech preference after a map is selected. Could you imagine the Energy mayhem on a cold map? Or the ballistic chaos on a hot map?? If everyone could choose their camo before a match, everyone would be the same scheme for that specific map. It would ruin the randomness of it all. IMO, the colors and patterns are vanity items

I wholelly dissagree.. Shure, in Alpine peaks all mechs would be white (at least the ones lucky enough to have owners with MC), and yes, there would be a little less variety... but many people would simply not change their kick-ass looking mech camo, and then again, many would... and if all the mechs were IN ACTUAL CAMO that would bring immersion to the game.. Why oh why would I bring a bright orange mech to an all-snow white map and paint a giant target on its arse?

Edited by Vellron2005, 09 June 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#7 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

It is sad that there are no news on this subject. I would really appreciate it.

#8 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

Yes I would love to field appropriate camo for each map on my mechs!

Or at least we need:
-Woodland
-Desert
-Winter
-Space? (Purple/Red maps?)

#9 Lolo van Trollinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 167 posts
  • LocationTrollhejmr

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:08 AM

that or let me block that ice range map stuff...

#10 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

I think this is a valid idea, especially with allowing for "stock" colored 'mechs to have a base palette applied based on the map.

#11 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:13 AM

Well maybe it become interesting with high settings, but currently i don't know if that grey/black Mech i see out there has white, blue or yellow camo.
This is only interesting at short range - and at this range camo is worthless.

#12 OmegaRed53

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

I agree on having more options for the mech pilot, when this will pop in Dev discussion is anyone guess sadly.

#13 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

the only game i know of where a potentially good source of income for a F2P game (cosmetics) can end up being a liability or source of annoyance to you just because a map or map type pops up which you didnt want, but ends up encouraging you to not even bother buying those cosmetics in the first place.

Another instance of PGI apparantly making the task of earning easy money for themselves hard, same with the lack of useful filters in their ingame shop resulting in ppl getting annoyed for example at manually searching for a "dual ams ecm IS mechs that can fit at least 5 lasers and 1 launcher", you have to do it manually resulting in ppl getting hacked off, esp new/newerer ppl.

#14 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:00 PM

I want to bump this thread up to see has there been any feed back the devs regarding to this topic. I currently own all camo black, green, tan, brown, and blue colors and would like to put them to good use.

#15 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

It would not be too hard to do something like this, WOT has a feature with is more or less this exact thing, Mind you MWO only has what... 2 i think three maps with are winter maps. for something like this it would need to be set in to 3-4 different categories to match a few of the maps with already exist in side of game. SO more or less you would set these camos in your mech lab for all categories and then when you land on that map you have the camo equipped.

maps with could fall under these categories but could be subject to change dependent on other idea's
Urban=

Posted Image
HPG Manifold

Posted Image
River City

Posted Image
Solaris City

Posted Image
The Mining Collective

Posted Image
Crimson Strait

winter=

Posted Image
Alpine Peaks

Posted Image
Boreal Vault

Posted Image
Frozen City

Posted Image
Polar Highlands

wasteland=

Posted Image
Canyon Network

Posted Image
Caustic Valley

Posted Image
Grim Plexus

Posted Image
Grim Portico

Posted Image
Rubellite Oasis

Posted Image
Sulfurous Rift

Posted Image
Terra Therma

Posted Image
Tourmaline Desert

lush IE forest / jungle=

Posted Image
Emerald Taiga

Posted Image
Forest Colony

Posted Image
Viridian Bog

#16 Jearin Feldar

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 12:54 PM

I don't personally bother being camo, and only try to make my mech look cool, but I think this is a great feature idea!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users