• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

That is my current build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...83460ee219b07df

You could downgrade to a 250Std engine and reduce MG ammo for 1.5to extra weight which could be used for AMS for example. It is more heat friendly compared to an AC20 build, but it has to be played differently.

Edited by Michael Abt, 11 August 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#22 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostMichael Abt, on 11 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

...You could downgrade to a 250Std engine and reduce MG ammo for 1.5to extra weight which could be used for AMS for example. It is more heat friendly compared to an AC20 build, but it has to be played differently.

That is essentially my build, though I switch freely between that and an AC20 + 225 engine

#23 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I know a lot of my fellow HBK-4G pilots prefer the STD250 engine, but I like armor and 4 tons of ammo to go with the AC20, 3xMLas and the STD215 - 76 kph is plenty fast to keep up with assaults and slow heavies.

HBK-4G

If DHS's could fit into 2 slots like they're supposed to (DOUBLE heatsink), they would go into the legs instead of ammo and then I could mount CASE to improve survivability.

one match with JS and a nostromo with that configuration:

Posted Image

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 11 August 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#24 doomguy64

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've bought the STD250 and ran around with it; It does help now being able to exit killzones quicker than before. It's actually kind of fun being more of a supporting role and carefully running with mostly heavy mechs around and choosing when to jump in or run. What I've notice is that everyone aims for my right torso which makes me almost useless once that's gone, then after that I'll go on a suicide laser rampage.

Thanks for post all the smurfy builds guys, I'm trying out different ones on my limited C-Bill budget. Also do the other variants differ much other than the hardpoints?

@Gremlich Johns: Insane damage, I cant even get that much on my timber wolf.

Edited by doomguy64, 11 August 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#25 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 11 August 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

I know a lot of my fellow HBK-4G pilots prefer the STD250 engine, but I like armor and 4 tons of ammo to go with the AC20, 3xMLas and the STD215 - 76 kph is plenty fast to keep up with assaults and slow heavies.

HBK-4G

If DHS's could fit into 2 slots like they're supposed to (DOUBLE heatsink), they would go into the legs instead of ammo and then I could mount CASE to improve survivability.

I'm sorry, but you're just running an unefficient loadout. Why?

1.: You're not using Ferro Fibrus, and thus wasting one ton.
2.: You're wasting tonnage on Heatsinks.

Your build has a sustained DPS rate of 4.55. With a 250 engine, you'll reach 4.46 sustainable DPS. That's just 2% (!) less. But the STD offers you a gain of 12,5 kph and, at least as important as the additional speed, a 14deg/s increaded yaw speed. This really, REALLY helps you, to protect the hunch. And the trade of 1 medium laser to a small one is acceptable for what you get.

View Postdoomguy64, on 11 August 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

What I've notice is that everyone aims for my right torso which makes me almost useless once that's gone, then after that I'll go on a suicide laser rampage.

Train to twist, and I don't mean the dance. :rolleyes: You need to learn to torso twist. Shoot at your enemy, and immediately twist away from him...don't use the lasers, if he might shoot back, that makes you look at him too long. Only use them, if you can keep looking at your target, without risking damage to the hunch (for example, if you are behind him or if he's fighting another mech) or if the lasers will suffice to finish him of.

Important: Get two other Hunchbacks (4P and 4SP) to unlock the master efficencies. The speed burst and the "times two" effect on the basic skills is really worth it.

View Postdoomguy64, on 11 August 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

Thanks for post all the smurfy builds guys, I'm trying out different ones on my limited C-Bill budget. Also do the other variants differ much other than the hardpoints?

Don't buy another engine, if you're short on C-Bills. With the 250, you can make all the other Hunchbacks work two. I also don't recommend the AC10 or the LBX-10.

The 4P is a great mech, you trade the AC20 for lasers. It plays somehow the same, but gives you more variation in terms of configuration. But it also has the hunch.

The 4SP is propably the most versatile. 4 Energy slots in the arms are great, and with the two missile slots, you can put in SRM, LRM, SSRM in there. Whatever works best for you. If you don't use the missile hardpoints, the 4SP becomes absolutely hunchless. :wacko:

#26 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

HBK-4G

Not a bad choice if you want some speed.

#27 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:16 AM

View Postdoomguy64, on 09 August 2014 - 01:44 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. Currently grinding for some c-bills for 250 engine.

instead of buying the engine, you could always just grind a bit more and grab a whole new mech.. the trebutche 7K is the cheapest at 3.8, but the 5N and 5J come in at just under 4.2 Sure the grind is twice as long, but you also have a fun mech to play with too! the 5J also has jump jets, and a pretty darn good mech.. so it plays a bit different than your HBK.

My advice is if a mech has an engine you wan't pay the extra, and get the mech.. You can always sell the chasis and weapons later and almost break even if you really hate it.. wish i had done this instead of buying a few engines i did, that now i have many.. LIke the 260STD.. i think i got 6 of um now.. something to think about.. :(

#28 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

I like this better. I prefer speed and the range of an AC5 compared to the 20. Mediums shouldnt be in the front lines.
HBK-4G

#29 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Elite the hunchbacks, the speed and extra twisting are vital.

Do not sit on the front lines.

You can peek-a-boo around corners, better than most mechs. Use this when able.

I personally dont go lower than a STD260.

I like to recommend the HBK as a good starter mech BECAUSE of its shortcomings. Having that hunch and losing it WILL teach you to twist, will teach you to not stand in the open, will teach you ammo conservation, will teach you how to zombie.

I tend to save the AC20 for later in the match when armor on opponents is missing. Kinda a cleanup/vulture type role.
Or if im with an active lance that wants to push, i will hang just behind the heavies and shoot while they are cooling down.

#30 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

Switched my 4G to a AC10+2MG combo and so far its been quite successful. Ended up with a 5 kill game but I'm getting 1 or 2 kills pretty consistently. The AC10 is much better than I remember honestly.

The LB10+2MG combo is cool and really maximizes the crit potential of the build but the LB10 isn't very flexible in terms of engagement range.

#31 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

Would you like something weird and different and only kind of effective?

Here.

#32 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

FYI 2 trebuchets are on sale for 2.7m So for a about 1.3m more than buying the engine you get a whole new mech! and you get a free bay to put it in :( (sale+mech bay give away this weekend)

#33 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Pretty much what most here have said when running the 4G, you are not frontline material, you're the surprise fist in the face shadowing the heavy and assault mechs.

Edited by Kensaisama, 19 August 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#34 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

View PostNapes339, on 15 August 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Switched my 4G to a AC10+2MG combo and so far its been quite successful. Ended up with a 5 kill game but I'm getting 1 or 2 kills pretty consistently. The AC10 is much better than I remember honestly.

The LB10+2MG combo is cool and really maximizes the crit potential of the build but the LB10 isn't very flexible in terms of engagement range.

I'm currently running AC/10+ 2MG in my 4G, too. XD Those, MPLx2, and ML on the head - it's actually pretty fun to play, and more effective than I thought it would be. A bit slower than I'm used to, but it helps to reign me in and stay close to my friendlies.

#35 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostBromineberry, on 09 August 2014 - 03:03 AM, said:

Still works. With all the super long range Clan weapons, it is a little bit harder to get in range though.

Yep - I run this in my 4H, but same idea. My 4G uses an AC10 and 2 machine guns.

Typically, I put on a bit more ammo (maybe a 1/2 of AC20 worth) and move the ammo to the legs, but same idea.

To play this, you MUST hang back and stay out of sight at the battle start. But once the brawling begins, your fast AC20 will wreck people.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by oldradagast, 22 August 2014 - 07:07 AM.

#36 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi Doom.

The hunchback is a chassis that takes ALOT of patience to play well.

I play them quite often. What you need to do first and foremost is slow your roll. Try not to ever be more than 100-200 in front of your Warhawk, Direwolf, Banshee or Atlas. You are there to help them push when that time comes.

Far too often Hunchback pilots do not realize that. You are not the tip of the spear, you should almost never have the attention of the mech in front of you, that belongs to the 90, 100 tonners your rolling with.

Once you learn that, playing the Hunchback is very satisfying.

(1) Ac20
(3) Medium Lasers
STD engine...

That's all you need.

Keep your eyes open for oblique targets of opportunity also. If a mech is off alone and you see a light or two from your side intercepting it, get there to help. Remember, you are also a backup flanker as a Mobile Medium.

But most importantly. Just slow down, and stay in cover until either your side pushes or the other side makes their push into your big boys. This applies to the 3 ML, 1 AC20 build only. If you have say, 2 ERLL 1 ML and 3 Machine guns.. well... that's a different bird..

#37 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostKai Harper, on 19 August 2014 - 11:40 PM, said:

I'm currently running AC/10+ 2MG in my 4G, too. XD Those, MPLx2, and ML on the head - it's actually pretty fun to play, and more effective than I thought it would be. A bit slower than I'm used to, but it helps to reign me in and stay close to my friendlies.

I've been messing around with a similar build. I recently added an XL engine to give me an ER large so that I can at least contribute at range.

Edited by Haydin, 27 August 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#38 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:14 AM

View PostHaydin, on 27 August 2014 - 11:41 PM, said:

I've been messing around with a similar build. I recently added an XL engine to give me an ER large so that I can at least contribute at range.

I'm very wary about putting XL in any Hunchie. With how everyone knows to target the hunch, it feels a lot like flirting with death - even more so than in a 'Phract.

#39 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:27 AM

View Postdoomguy64, on 09 August 2014 - 02:59 AM, said:

Recently purchased a 4G and got my ass kicked first match with it and I was only able to dish out 30 damage....

Any suggestions?

Lots. Quite a few excellent builds, pick one that suits your playstyle.
twist, twist and more twist, the first things to unlock are twist.
clan weapons are powerful, long range........sooooooooo.........twist and spread the damage around. pro tip#2, dont wander across the open flat on Alpine, dont head to the boat on whatever map that is, dont stand on top of the runway at Manifold. THATS where those long range weapons just raise hell. Even if they dont do much damage past their ranges, its the mental aspect you're getting tore up. I have to listen to lesser players on comms start yelling in panic when missiles are hitting them, or they are getting tagged with clanERLarge- once the panic/frustration sets in, you're screwed, you're screwed your team is screwed, then you go home with 30 damage and a couple of guys are thinking "carry harder"
Brawl, clan stuff runs HOT, and is long in duration, meaning the only way to take the full damage is sit still.
The very basics, find an assault or heavy and stay with them. You can clip along quite fast in that medium.
Never stop moving, ever.
I would personally ditch any small laser in these builds for another half ton of ac.20 ammo

#40 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

I'll add, as the hunch is the primary tool of all lore, tabletop and early incarnations of the mech games...its enjoyable when I see a hunchjock finish the match with 900 damage. Its deadly in the right hands, just been overshadowed for shinier variations of the same thing........fancy blue HUD has lured too many from the best mechs in game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users