56 replies to this topic

#1 Duck Hunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

What do you people want?
Every weapon to be exactly the same?

pretty soon every weapon system will be 'balanced' and this game is going to be very boring.

Stop complaining and just learn to play the game.

#2 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

The game will also be boring if people start playing the game with the same 3 op mechs with the same 3 op weapon configurations all the time because some other people want the balancing to stop. Just saying....

#3 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Duckhunt-Bowmanger your 3 years to late for this topic to mean anything no one will listen not even PGI-IGP-DEVS.

#4 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hmm I do hate whiners, but I also wouldnt like the same weapons being the best all the time. Although weapons changing all the time makes the game more fun for me cause I get to constantly experiment, and adapt.

#5 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

Game was already Boring a Year and a Half ago :P

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

I feel it's a good time to say Balanced doesn't mean the weapons are the same. It means they aren't always a better choice.

We're getting closer to that, but I don't feel it's quite right yet. Look at the Flamer!

Edited by Mcgral18, 12 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#7 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

They even come in cute colors.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

I would love to see what this game would have looked like if feedback from fans was exclusively positive since 2012 to now, and no one ever complained about anything in this game.

#9 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Petition to stop people who don't seem to grasp game balance as a complete concept from creating over simplified straw man threads complaining about other people they perceive are complaining while completely missing the irony involved in that endeavor.

Edited by Agent of Change, 12 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#10 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Please do stop whining. We all play the same game. Something is always best, but you can train anything to beat the meta is what I found. I have never had any problem with MWO unless it was a BUG or such.

I thought MWO looked most like MechWarrior, played most like Battle Tech from 2-13 to 5-13, before the Gauss Rifle nerf and Ghost heat. Some players were rightly exploiting the fact that PGI had not added any hard heat cap to the game by boating PPCs, but Ghost Heat was not the answer. Having your Mech explode stops energy boating real fast, one way or the other.

#11 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

MechWarrior titles have always had a weak heat scale. On the TT it was punishing when you ran hot. This is one of the few things that should be taken from the TT.

As you go up the scale the mech should become sluggish, be harder to aim and hit things, and risk ammo explosions or internal damage. Then at the top, you should shut down. None of this riding the heat scale at 70%-90% w/out issue thing.

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Sorry, but some things are worth complaining about. Telling everyone to sit down and shut up is entirely unhelpful and bad for the game.

#13 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostJman5, on 12 August 2014 - 08:35 AM, said:

Sorry, but some things are worth complaining about. Telling everyone to sit down and shut up is entirely unhelpful and bad for the game.

Posted Image

#14 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

They just nerfed the last damage-dealing weapon, the small laser, out of existence.

In compensation the tag's range has been extended from 1000m to 1200m (travel time is 5 seconds). Firing more than one within five minutes yields severe ghost heat.

The complaints from the community that the 40-ton LRM5 takes too many slots to fit on any mech is irrelevant as shown by the last 12-man test where three lances race to cap unopposed across a smooth, featureless plain.
Everyone got the inner sphere trophy for their participation. OP light mechs were legged for the event.

In other news: The lapping sound of the waves on Forest Colony were declared OP and eliminated altogether.

Edited by OriginalTibs, 12 August 2014 - 08:47 AM.

#15 Lupin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 955 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:50 AM

Sadly will never happen. Like the return of repair & rearm.
With learning curve high PGI have made there position clear, they want more no-brainers.

#16 Xanezz

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostApnu, on 12 August 2014 - 08:28 AM, said:

MechWarrior titles have always had a weak heat scale. On the TT it was punishing when you ran hot. This is one of the few things that should be taken from the TT.

As you go up the scale the mech should become sluggish, be harder to aim and hit things, and risk ammo explosions or internal damage. Then at the top, you should shut down. None of this riding the heat scale at 70%-90% w/out issue thing.

Oh you mean like MechWarrior 3?

Agreed, that game actually required you to think about mech builds in terms of heat generation, it was a serious concern and aiming was extremely important as a result. Overheating even slighty gave you a chance for ammo explosions and made the UI go fuzzy beyond recognition.

At this point i've accepted MWO is an arena shooter, so it wouldnt fit the game. PGI wants it to be very action orientated (to get more people to p(l)ay it), and to do that shutting down has to be avoided at all costs.

Edited by Xanezz, 12 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#17 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostXanezz, on 12 August 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

Oh you mean like MechWarrior 3?

Agreed, that game actually required you to think about mech builds in terms of heat generation, it was a serious concern and aiming was extremely important as a result. Overheating even slighty gave you a chance for ammo explosions and made the UI go fuzzy beyond recognition.

At this point i've accepted MWO is an arena shooter, so it wouldnt fit the game. PGI wants it to be very action orientated (to get more people to p(l)ay it), and to do that shutting down has to be avoided at all costs.

MW3 had the closest implementation of the TT heat scale. It was good.

MW, MW2, MW4 and MWO? Not so much. Its really felt here because there are no bots to abuse in a single player campaign. The end result is a game that, unintentionally, promotes front loaded damage and boating. The system is rigged for power gamers. I honestly believe PGI didn't intend this, but its what they've manage to do all the same. Ghost heat is but a bandaid over a structural problem. Putting in a more punishing heat scale will really get the game closer to a "thinking man's shooter" they claim it to be.

#18 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostApnu, on 12 August 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

MW3 had the closest implementation of the TT heat scale. It was good.

MW, MW2, MW4 and MWO? Not so much. Its really felt here because there are no bots to abuse in a single player campaign. The end result is a game that, unintentionally, promotes front loaded damage and boating. The system is rigged for power gamers. I honestly believe PGI didn't intend this, but its what they've manage to do all the same. Ghost heat is but a bandaid over a structural problem. Putting in a more punishing heat scale will really get the game closer to a "thinking man's shooter" they claim it to be.

It doesn't even have to be truly 'punishing' just enough of a visible and avoidable effect that one would prefer to not succumb rather than to it than just ignore it. I'm going to just repost something I posted in another thread by way of an example i came up with.

View PostAgent of Change, on 11 August 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

Heat scale - some thought on this has me thinking a simplified version of the TT approach with effects players can "feel"/see. My approach would work with both a "fixed heat system" (low max fast cycle) and the current system. Basically you have 4 stages of heat effects my percentages are arbitrary for demonstration purposes:
  • Stage 1: 0 heat to 60% heat capacity - everything nominal - no game effect
  • Stage 2: 61% to 80% heat capacity - Mech running hot extra focus on venting heat - 10-15% reduction in top speed, rate of acceleration, turn speed, twist speed and arm speed.
  • Stage 3: 81% to 100% Heat capacity - Critically hot systems affected - All stage 2 effects plus HUD malfunction effects (hud flickers, reticle jumps around, static bursts)
  • Stage 4: 100%+ heat capacity - Mech shutdown + internals damage based on how much over the limit you pushed. (if shutdown overridden, internal damage is increased and suffers all the effects of stage 2 and 3.)

Edited by Agent of Change, 12 August 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#19 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostDuck Hunt, on 12 August 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

What do you people want?

pretty soon every weapon system will be 'balanced' and this game is going to be very boring.

That's not what most are "complaining" about when talking about "balance". Perfect imbalance is the key, and its not quite so perfect right now.

This is a dumb thread anyway, very hostile really. Hopefully makes its way to K-Town.

#20 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostDuck Hunt, on 12 August 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

What do you people want?

You must be new here. And to the internet.

These are game forums. You will not find anywhere else so deep in wretched whining as these places.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users