- - - - -

New Player Lf Advice On Jenner

43 replies to this topic

#21 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

I've decided too remove the BAP but i'll hang on too the 2 tons of ammo, since from my experience so far, I've managed too burn threw the 2 tons in some games, and often / die with around 500 left. Missile spam seems to be a bit of a thing right now.

The question then becomes, more jump jets or a additional heat sink and where too put them (currently following Koniving's setup).

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 15 August 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#22 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 15 August 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

I've decided too remove the BAP but i'll hang on too the 2 tons of ammo, since from my experience so far, I've managed too burn threw the 2 tons in some games, and often / die with around 500 left. Missile spam seems to be a bit of a thing right now.

The question then becomes, more jump jets or a additional heat sink and where too put them (currently following Koniving's setup).

Honestly, depends on your style. More jump jets will give you more mobility, while the heatsinks will give you more pew pew time. Either will help your ability to take on other mechs. I know people who do abysmal with jump jets so they usually pull them off and take more sinking. If you do well with JJ's then I'd stick with them. They will help your survivability and give you some nice moves to use in a brawl.

#23 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Did you remove CASE? One ton can safely go in the head and the other ton which you insist on having can be stored in the CT or ST buffered with an additional jump jet.

#24 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

Slapped on 1 more heat sink and 1 jump jet on the right torso for the room the BAP made :(

And yes had already remove the case, i'll setup the layout so far on the smurfy and link it.

JR7-K is my current setup, considering removing ammo from 1 arm for a other heat sink (still want that AMS around for now).

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 15 August 2014 - 07:32 AM.

#25 Glxy Cmdr Jason Tseng

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Prior to Clan mechs I piloted lights almost exclusively, Spiders, Commandos and Jenners most notably. Pulling from that experience I would suggest the following:

Not using SSRMs? REMOVE BAP!! That is 1.5 tons that you can use else where. That space lets you max armor on your arms and put some JJs back in. Since you should be targeting mechs your team mates are hammering on, the decreased targeting time doesn't matter, and with no SSRMs you do not need to counter ECM.

Remove 1t of AMS ammo. Even prior to the new radar dep. module I rarely put AMS on my lights, specially those with JJs. If they're LRMs you should have plenty of time to get behind cover before they hit, and if they're streaks you should be running around your teammates so their AMS shoots down the missiles and they can shoot your pursuer to break off the attack.

For the K, your best bet would be the following:

JR7-K

This gives you speed, a 20pt alpha, more maneuverability and the heat sinks for a protracted battle. Also, the way I play a light with this set up (my TDK has the same weapon load out) is have your two arms separated in to two diff groups. Chain fire one group and alpha the other. That way you fire your first chained laser, alpha the second, then fire the second chained laser. That way you have constant 5-10-5 damage on target while not overloading the HS too much.

If you must have missiles, swap out some of the HS for a 4pk or a NARC.

Happy hunting!

#26 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Well pretty happy so far with the slight modifications :( Better sustained fire is doing well for me.

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 15 August 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#27 Karzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

It may be a preference thing, but JJ's are not necessary. There are always paths around, and you run less risks of damaging your legs.

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 15 August 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Slapped on 1 more heat sink and 1 jump jet on the right torso for the room the BAP made :(

Was just thinking "Why not do one of each?"

#29 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Hmmm the only question now remains, what Pilot skill should I focus on first ? and any idea's for modules ? :(

For pilot skills was thinking about that less fall damage first :P

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 15 August 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#30 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 15 August 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Hmmm the only question now remains, what Pilot skill should I focus on first ?

All. Typically you start with the cooling ones, then improve whatever movement you find lacking the most (depends on the mech). On the elite tree, start with Speed Tweak.

and any idea's for modules ? :(

Radar deprivation for easy dodging of missiles and enemies in general (you disappear from radar as soon as the enemy loses LoS). Seismic sensor for up to 250m of wallhacking (all targets visible as long as they move, and you do not -- great for scouting). You technically stop moving for a moment whenever you land from a jump, so the seismic sensor triggers semi-automatically when you use jump jets well.

Edited by Modo44, 15 August 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#31 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 566 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

I was going to post a link to a build, but I can't copy-paste with this version of IE. :(

Anyways, for the K I stick with the stock weapons: 4xMLas, SRM4.
2xJJ, one in each torso.
STD245, one DHS. (this is just what you have, you know to upgrade. I have XL300, see below)
Endo/FF.
Armor: CT and legs max. Right/Left torsos max-1. Head 12. Arms 16. (again, based on STD245, see below)
No BAP, no AMS, no CASE.
2xSRM ammo.

Get an XL300 ASAP. Add additional DHS; add 18 points armor with remaining half ton to max the arm armor, I'd put the last 2 points on the head (that way it takes 32 points of head damage to kill you instead of 30 -- dual guass is 30 points of pin point damage and there's a few players who can put that damage where they want at will). Going from a 245 to 300 adds a heatsink (and a true DHS at that), and with the 12th heatsink on top of that the mech will run much cooler as well as faster.

Having 2 tons of SRM ammo is nice, SRMs are better towards the end of a match when there are more open components. 2 tons w/ SRM4 means 50 shots, which makes it likely to still have some towards the end.

No AMS means you have to use terrain to avoid missiles. Always be aware of where there is cover, and don't spend time in the open.

Edited by Ertur, 15 August 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#32 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I find radar deprivation really useful on Jenners, (and just about everything else). I also started MWO in Jenners and originally struggled to make them work. Even once I got an XL300 (which is the most useful XL engine for heavy mechs also) I did badly. I got into catapults (65 ton heavy) for a while and did a lot better with them.

Eventually I learned to play them well, and at this point have probably spent almost as long in them as everything else combined. The last 2 days I've been running a NARC build, and absolutely raked in the C-bills. I think you need to play all the roles in this game before you can really understand how to make a light mech devastating (I'm still figuring it out).

The initial low price of light mechs is a bit misleading, a heavy mech with a good build can be cheaper than a jenner, but once you have one XL engine you can move it around lots of mechs.

Edit: I meant to mention, the GXP cost of modules is the small part, radar deprivation for example costs 6 million cbills.

Edited by John1352, 15 August 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

For pilot skills was thinking about that less fall damage first :(

Isn't a bad idea. Also the radar deprivation module. But it'll take some time to get that much GXP and then Cbills.

In the meantime, the Jenner D is listed among the mechs on sale. It's 35% off for cbills as well.
Time to rack up some .

#34 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:30 AM

Well, I've been experimenting a bit so far, try with ASM, then without, extra heat sink, then drop a heat sink for a SRM etc.

My main trouble right now is on the smaller maps where I can't make sure of my mobility, I feel like dead weight that's pretty much only good for chasing off enemy spotters and then quickly returning too cover.

On the + side, I've learned how to take cover quickly now when LRM start raining down.

So far my biggest achievement is running around a Atlas for 2 minutes until I finally destroyed. But I think (forgot it's name) I made some LRM based mechs happy by chasing away those JENNERS and Spiders harassing them ;)

I already have 2 JENNER's unlocked now, was thinking about setting 1 up with 2 large lasers and 2 small ones, anyone got experience with that? Because I feel that on some maps I simply lack range while being in a perfect position to take some unnoticed pop shots.

#35 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:37 AM

You can do up to 2xLL+2xML on a Jenner, but it will run hot (not too many alpha strikes). It needs an XL280 engine to have enough tonnage spare for halfway decent cooling.

#36 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

Hmmm, on the not of Engine, get Engine first, or unlock a 3rd JENNER first for elite skills ?

And a other question lingering in my mind, would I better of slapping 2x 4SRM or 1x 6SRM onto 1 ?

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 16 August 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#37 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

The 2x SRM 4s will be a ton heavier, do 17.2 damage per shot for 6 heat, and reload in 3 seconds.
1x SRM 6 will do 12.9 damage, make 4 heat, and reload in 4 seconds.

If you are using a STD engine, you'll be low on tons anyway, and you'll probably be running very hot as well. I'd choose the 6 in that case. With the XL the 2x4 is a better option. So you've got a Jenner K and a Jenner D?

An interesting option is to put 2x LRM 5s in the JR7-D and use them to scare enemies with the missile warning, as well as farming assists (6500 cbills for every enemy that you scratch the paint on, if it is killed by someone else)

#38 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:07 AM

Hmmm interesting idea John, but that would mean making space for a targeting system when I tend to be up close and personal when sh*t goes down and have no trouble hitting my SRM barrages, but the "forcing them into cover" threw lock on massage is tempting.

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 16 August 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#39 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:35 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 16 August 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

Hmmm interesting idea John, but that would mean making space for a targeting system when I tend to be up close and personal when sh*t goes down and have no trouble hitting my SRM barrages, but the "forcing them into cover" threw lock on massage is tempting.

you don't need targeting system for LRM's or SRM's.. Though you could say Tag can really help increase lock speed, artemis does increase this too, but you don't really need it for 5's, it also adds 1 ton per launcher and one crit slot, so you need to keep that in mind outside of the +250k C-bill upgrade. You also need to buy new launchers to use it, AND you need to pay to down grade if you choose, and pay to re-upgrade if you choose to go back.. basically it is a cost to switch either way.

but outside of that..

Howdy new guy.. Hope all is well with trying out the lights as your first mech. As i am not familiar with the jenner i won't comment on that persay but i do have just a little advice.

Bap, I do use it on non LRM/Streak mechs from time to time, Not often but i do find it useful with + range module for long range sniping key areas of damage, and the ECM counter, if you add in target info gathering it works even better.. But those are very unique circumstances, but something to consider down the road if you keep playing.

The XL-300 everyone has recommended, I personally just picked up one a while back. I bought mine while purchasing this mech. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ab#i=29&l=stock, The CN9-D. While the mech will cost you almost double what just the engine does, You end up with another mech, and can try your hands at a medium. Cents are pretty cool mechs too. It also already has the endo steel upgrade.

If you can stomach using your stock engines for the time being, it might not be a bad way to go.. But double cash is going to take you most likely another 60+ matches with out premium. Up to you, but buying a mech with an XL you wan't is a good way to go.. the only down side is if you really hate the mech, (though striping and selling it you recoup at least a few mill, so the loss isn't to much, and you need a open bay. But if you really love the mech, then you are win/win ;)

The reason i give this advice is i spent a boat load on an XL-280 when i started, and ended up switching to mediums and not using it.. Fast forward a while after buying my three mediums, the next group of 3 mechs i bought one of them had an XL-280 and left me wishing i had that 4m for upgrades instead of spending another couple weekends grinding C-bills.

just a thought.. GL!

Edited by JC Daxion, 16 August 2014 - 06:39 AM.

#40 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

I'd like to cast an additional vote for "Engine First, then snag another Jenner." It will make worlds of difference, and your survivability will go up quite a bit. Otherwise you'll have to suffer through another slow Jenner while you come up with the cash for the engine.

Note: If you've elected not to put any actual money in this game, I totally respect that. But if you don't mind spending a wee bit. Keep an eye out for the next sale. The Champion mechs go on sale at half price pretty frequently, and the Champion Jenner is a great value and nets you a 300xl for a very small amount of cash

Now, not to play Devil's advocate, just to clarify since you seem willing to absorb information.:
[NOTE: This is NOT an ideal setup for your Jenner, this is just an explanation of how else this equipment can be used]

BAP has a use outside of support spotting for missile heavy teams. By speeding up how quickly you receive detailed information on your target. I.e. the "paperdoll" that shows you where and how badly the target is damaged.
With standard sensors you have to keep a mech targeted for a small amount of time before your sensor suite can give you a detailed scan of it's condition. BAP shortens this delay by... what guys? 15% I think? [EDIT: Oh, wow. By 25%... that is cool]
Okay, BAP makes this info pop up 25% quicker; to make this make money for you, you combine it with the Target Info Gathering module, which decreases the delay by an additional 25%.

This is worthwhile for me personally in my "Boomjack", my quick, jumpy, AC/20 equipped Blackjack. The mech is too scrawny to take a heavy hit, but it's quick and packs a punch. To do well in my Boomjack I need to get out from behind cover, land a heavy autocannon shell, and get back under cover quickly. By using BAP + TIG, I can see where my target's weaker spots are much much quicker, allowing me to place cannon shells to greater effect during my frantic, mad dash for cover.

Again, I wouldn't recommend this for your Jenner at all. It can make much better use of the 1.5 tons. But now you know the other use for BAP.

Good Hunting Mechwarrior. ;)

Edited by juxstapo, 16 August 2014 - 07:18 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users