162 replies to this topic

#21 JudgeDeathCZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

The goal of sharing any professional content on a third-party social media site should be to drive attention back to the hub of our service: mwomercs.com, and not to entrench others further into those social media outlets and away from the hub. It is meant to be a tool for MWO and not one which reduces our ability to centralize information and increases our moderation workload.

For this reason, all future videos will be linked to official forum threads like this one so that we can focus your feedback in one easily managed and reviewed place, rather than being left to scan every dark corner for fragments of that feedback.

Oh I see.Thats why there are patch info on reddit or twitter be4 it is on forums right?

Edited by JudgeDeathCZ, 21 August 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#22 Jabilo

• Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

The goal of sharing any professional content on a third-party social media site should be to drive attention back to the hub of our service: mwomercs.com, and not to entrench others further into those social media outlets and away from the hub. It is meant to be a tool for MWO and not one which reduces our ability to centralize information and increases our moderation workload.

For this reason, all future videos will be linked to official forum threads like this one so that we can focus your feedback in one easily managed and reviewed place, rather than being left to scan every dark corner for fragments of that feedback.

Perfectly reasonable. Looking forward to viewing the vlog.

#23 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

In real estate, it's "Location, Location, Location".

In online development, it's "Content, Content, Content".

#24 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 21 August 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Oh I see.Thats why there are patch info on reddit or twitter be4 it is on forums right?

Posted Image

#25 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM, said:

Will we be able to see unit tags in matches with this update? I didn't see that covered.

Yes you can. When in a drop, the usual Faction tag, ie: CGB, CW, CJF, FRR, etc are now replaced with the tag of your unit. Quite nice to see, and now we know who we are dropping with and against.

*edit* This was from the PTS

Edited by CoffiNail, 21 August 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#26 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm honestly speechless. This is something that should have happened long ago, and assuming it holds true it deserves proper ovation.
Posted Image

#27 Ren Kurogane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • Location10.4.2 401

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

Always nice to see a new DevLog ;)

Btw, any plan on adding general chat and VoIP features? I didn't hear both of them mentioned on last 2 DevLog either.... B)

#28 Little Details

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSt Louis, MO, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

Nice job on this video. Each one is getting better than the last. It's cool to get the perspective of the designer on the map goals/creation/cool points, how a mech was picked and the loadouts, etc. Instead of just regurgitating information, you're providing insights into things which is what these Dev Vlogs should be doing. So... good job!

#29 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

General Chat:
No. Simply put, it's a moderation and abuse nightmare waiting to happen, which is exactly why more and more games are either fighting to remove these features where they exist or resolving not to add them where they don't. We will be offering more chat options in the future, but a Global / All-Game Chat will simply not be one of those.

VoiP:
Yes. This is in the backlog.

Which games are fighting to remove these features?

The single best way to get someone invested into a game is to create a community.

You seem to enjoy splitting the community as much as possible, which is why a rather large portion hates the company you work for.

#30 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

Regarding every match playing differently and not usually resulting in a megabattle in the same area..

1) Color me skeptical.

2) If it's true, you need to apply this to every other map you have before making any more.

#31 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

The patch notes provided this week on Reddit before the patch had been completed were not an official nor approved release from PGI. We have already addressed this issue and the general rule of thumb to keep in mind is that if it doesn't link back to a cyan dev post such as this one or an announcement post on our forums, and isn't even associated with one of our other confirmed official accounts (such as mine, PGI_Niko on Reddit), then it isn't official.

By the way, you avoided the point. Information is NEVER on the forums first, and normally it lags WAY behind. Especially when compared to twitter posts.

#32 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

"The merc unit leader can then use those c-bills to upgrade defenses on planets and he can also bid on contracts for planet takeover." - Paul

So... they are paying for the privilege of doing a job? That's not how mercenaries or contract bidding work at all.

#33 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Haha, I like how he answers the question "What makes the new map different from the maps we already have?" with "Well ... it's a night time map! A very brightly lit night time map! And ... it has different colors!"

I know, I know, it's easy to pick on them, but so many months and the biggest accomplishment is that we get a map with new colors? ;)

#34 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostYaKillinMeSmalls, on 21 August 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Excited to see the new stuff, but as a Southerner, Paul spelling clan with a 'K' made me cringe.

Also, did QA think to put in anything like a profanity filter for the unit names/tags? You know somebody's going to try something...

Yeah, he should have just gone with "Paul's Unit."

You could sort of tell it was the first thing that came to his mind, and then he was trying to think of something else...

#35 Ren Kurogane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 175 posts
  • Location10.4.2 401

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

General Chat:
No. Simply put, it's a moderation and abuse nightmare waiting to happen, which is exactly why more and more games are either fighting to remove these features where they exist or resolving not to add them where they don't. We will be offering more chat options in the future, but a Global / All-Game Chat will simply not be one of those.

VoiP:
Yes. This is in the backlog.

A few things that popped into my head were:
1. total rubbish spam <just add the spammer into ignore list
2. looking for group/member (either just for a few drops or invitation for an unit) spam <banhammer by a mod
3. bad drama spam (caps-locking each other + unfiltered words) <ignore list or banhammer
4. ad spam (offering some premium currency for a price) <i doubt this is gonna happen in MWO
5. flamming (to other individual or group) <well, i kind of understand it....

But still...i never saw an MMO trying to get rid of their general chat feature or never add it in. Can't be helped if that's already decided though. It's just sometimes MWO client gets ctd without error message while i'm tabbing out/in to see mwolobby.com on chrome. So i thought i wouldn't have to deal with it if you add general chat feature into the game B).

What kind of "chat option" that we can hope to be added in the future? Oh, and also, current chat interface is a little disturbing i think....i can't change tab (home<>mechlab<>faction<>store) while at it.

(well...to be honest, i think current UI is still a mess, but they already said they'll be back at it... ;))

#36 Hades Trooper

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 21 August 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

behave yourself Judge or i will ear bash you on TS the next time where on ;)

now on topic, looks good, sounds good, fingers crossed for xmas i have 2 new maps and a working CW.

P.s. now that the maps are recycling items from other maps, will we start to see more maps appear? Like as in another 6-8 soonish once CW is where you want it?

#37 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Sorry you feel that way, but those who will state that they "hate" us for taking such measures (or any measure regarding the game) are exactly one of those reasons why we have zero faith that such a feature will provide any positive experience except to those who are seeking yet another soapbox to express that vitriol and argue with others.

We've made a number of major changes to how we deliver information and interact with the Community and these changes are continuing. That said, such individuals who would say they hate us probably should simply move onto any other game which better fits their entertainment expectations, because I honestly personally don't think we ever will meet those expectations if such individuals intend to remain entrenched in such a strong and unreasonable emotion.

Well I wouldn't use the word hate as that is rather strong, but there certainly is frustration amongst a lot of people who feel that communicating and connecting with other players is rather hamstrung with the lack of a global lobby that has the ability to interact with people you don't already know. People like to point out only a small minority of players ever come to the forums, but what exactly are the options for the vast majority to communicate with each other and get exposed to others viewpoints if global chat is not even going to be considered? I guess I would like to know what other games you are talking about as well that are actively trying to remove community tools? What I see in most games is an effort to increase interaction and communication between players not remove it or hinder it.

#38 Khujjo

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

A long time ago it was said units would be able to set a percentage of earning for each of its members to automatically go to the unit coffer. Is this feature now not planned/implemented?

#39 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Regarding general chat... what do people supporting it feel like it would add to their experience?

Difficulty:

1) It has to be something they are not already getting.

2) It has to be something that could not also be provided by a more sensible feature. For example, general chat is terrible for looking for groups, and there are other tools that could do that much better.

#40 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

Great VLOG. Love it. Maybe not such long camera time on the staff, though, as it gets awkward watching them for so long. Loved Thad's part, where he was talking while we saw that amazing new map!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users