Can You Stop The Practice Pgi?

946 replies to this topic

#261 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 August 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

Oh, Then you are not trying to bother me then. :D

Do you sync drop in the solo queue? If not, then no, clearly I'm not talking about you.

View PostKjudoon, on 23 August 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

No, it's about not having to play at a no-fun pro level every match just to have a little success.

Does the fact that you drop solo mean you can't play well with others or utilize teamwork and look beyond your own ends? No... it doesn't.

Quit trying to make conclusions on mendacious thoughts about what others think or do.

Some really nasty thoughts around here masquerading as intellectualism.

Sorry dude, but if you sync drop in the solo queue because you don't like losing in the group queue.. yeah, it means you're bad.

I mean, maybe you don't like hearing that... but that's the deal. You lose in the group queue, so you drop in the solo queue... I'm not trying to specifically insult you, as I have no idea who you are, but that's the implication of your actions, if you do in fact do that.

#262 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostRoland, on 24 August 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Sorry dude, but if you sync drop in the solo queue because you don't like losing in the group queue.. yeah, it means you're bad.

I mean, maybe you don't like hearing that... but that's the deal. You lose in the group queue, so you drop in the solo queue... I'm not trying to specifically insult you, as I have no idea who you are, but that's the implication of your actions, if you do in fact do that.

If that's what's needed to make you feel secure enough to sleep at night, you go right ahead. I know what I bring to the battlefield. But before you finish painting yourself in the corner with that broad brush you got out there, I don't recall ever seeing your team or name on any leaderboards in tournaments or challenges out there. So maybe you should be careful on judging someone 'bad' if they want to have fun with their friends instead of always wanting a game experience akin to competing all out every mission. If you want to play dueling broad brushes, we could also make accusations that the solo queue is filled with people who lack the social skills in which to work with a group and need some sort of hot house environment to protect their fragile egos.

I would be just as wrong with that statement as you are with yours. I have seen, fought with, lost to and beaten many very good players who are in the solo queue. Some I know from high level teams because they just wanted to do something different. Others do it as fun company events as a new way to enjoy the game. Since the options for ways to enjoy this game are exceedingly limited to either isolated PUG groups where it eliminates the entire ability (if your view was accepted as law) to play with friends in a more casual atmosphere, or stuck going up against hard core players trying to get to 'professional esport' status on this game, let's face it... PGI incentivized Sync Dropping. Generally speaking it's harmless and you good and well know it.

If you wanted to give a disincentive for sync drops, again.... for the bazillionth time because it doesn't seem to be heard up in the cheap seats who are too busy complaining.... return to us the 1-4 person queue where a group of 2-4 people can play and not have to square off on team roflstomps that are now the standard for the group queue. To be honest, I'd rather not play in either Stomptown with the Esportos, or Derptown with the Rambos. I want back what PGI took away from us with the option to opt out for the solo players who can't play well with others, and prevent the large groups from just steamrolling everyone.

Now, ultimately I think you speak from ignorance because you aren't playing much if at all in Stomptown... or worse still (but unlikely)... you somehow are part of the problem in Stomptown and like it that way which would mean you're projecting your bad behavior on everyone else.

So, are we going to go on making bad assumptions about the other, discuss solutions beyond tantrum-esque "GET OUT OF MY QUEUE YOU EVIL PREMADES", or just whinge on impotently making more and more absurd claims? What're you gonna do?

#263 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 August 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Snip

PGI has incentived it, although its VERY unlikely you're sync dropping at all. Even if you exploit the chassis size, you're still going to need quite a few tries before you actually get the sync to work. Its not viable might as well drop in the group queue.

You make reference that Roland hasn't played in Stomptown, while that maybe correct I believe that you haven't played in the 12 man queue prior to PGI lumping the 12 man crew in with the rest of the groups. There would be some nights you would play maybe 1 match or 2 in a 2 1/2 hour span. That's pathetic, and I would absolutely hate for it to go back there. They did that because they realized that they couldn't fragment the queue any further. What you're suggesting is Pug, Casual groups, and Comp groups. I don't know if thats really going to work. So a group drops into the Comp queue gets rofl stomped 5 times in a row, the first thing they are going to do is go into the casual group. While they are not better than the comp groups that are in there now, they are better than anyone in the casual groups. There they would proceed with the stomping. IF you did decide to go down this path you must make an incentive to do the Comp drop. Either way one of the two queues are going to die off . Leaving you in the same position as before the change was made.

Edited by Saxie, 24 August 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#264 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 August 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

So, are we going to go on making bad assumptions about the other, discuss solutions beyond tantrum-esque "GET OUT OF MY QUEUE YOU EVIL PREMADES", or just whinge on impotently making more and more absurd claims? What're you gonna do?

Make fun of you for being bad.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not at all against players playing with their friends. That's why I lobbied to no end for PGI to allow us to play together in groups of any size. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you wanting to play with your friends.

But once you say, "Well, I want to play with my friends.. but I don't like playing against OTHER groups of people playing with THEIR friends".. yeah man, that says bad things about you.

And that's the thing man, it's not about what I say about you because you do that.. it's what you're saying about yourself BY DOING THAT. You're saying that you aren't good enough to play against other groups, and feel the need to prey upon people who are inherently less organized than you.

Now, ultimately I think you speak from ignorance because you aren't playing much if at all in Stomptown... or worse still (but unlikely)... you somehow are part of the problem in Stomptown and like it that way which would mean you're projecting your bad behavior on everyone else.

Whenever I'm playing with my friends, I play in the group queue. Because that's the point of the queue. It does me no favors by playing with a group and beating up on solo pugs. I'm not afraid of playing against other teams.

And frankly, I don't have any trouble playing in it, even when only paired with one or two friends. The idea that it's some kind of serious business queue full of nothing but professional 12 man teams is nonsensical. Certainly, I'd say the competition is most definitely better in that queue (to the extent that I've lobbied to allow solo players to play in that queue, as I'd generally prefer playing there even when solo).. but that's not a real reason to run off and hide in the solo queue.

That's just lame man. I dunno what you want to hear here.. that it's somehow NOT lame to try and prey on solo pugs, when you could just as easily play with your friends in the group queue?

Back when there was a cap on groups, then there was a legitimate reason to sync drop.. but now? No man, there's really not.

If you feel the need to do it, it means you find the competition in the group queue to be too hard, and are looking for easy pickings in the solo queue where you have an advantage over other players. That's just sad, man.

If you want to play dueling broad brushes, we could also make accusations that the solo queue is filled with people who lack the social skills in which to work with a group and need some sort of hot house environment to protect their fragile egos.

And yet you specifically choose to drop in that queue? Despite being able to drop in the other queue, since you're grouped with other pilots?

Again man, you just need to look at what your actions are saying about yourself.

I would be just as wrong with that statement as you are with yours. I have seen, fought with, lost to and beaten many very good players who are in the solo queue. Some I know from high level teams because they just wanted to do something different. Others do it as fun company events as a new way to enjoy the game.

But there is nothing special about the solo queue which makes it "more fun" or "different".
The only thing that is "different" about playing in the solo queue is that you're going up against solo pug players....

Which means that if you're doing this as a group that's sync dropping, you're just doing it because you're looking for easier competition.

I mean, hell, you're saying it yourself at this point.

#265 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

You make reference that Roland hasn't played in Stomptown, while that maybe correct I believe that you haven't played in the 12 man queue prior to PGI lumping the 12 man crew in with the rest of the groups.

Well, I know I see you on an infrequent basis in the solo queue, so I know our elos cross paths from time to time. :D So there that for what it's worth.

Actually, I joined a group to participate in 12mans because I thought it'd be far different than it was. I used to be a battle caller too. Unfortunately, I realized a few things that I just couldn't stomach in this level of play.

1. A level of obsession/devotion to the game that turned it into a full time job just like any athlete.
2. My computer hardware was not powerful enough to compete, forcing me to play the LRM game which is junk in 12man play.
3. The absolute need to drive drop decks optimized out to the nth degree and the practice time to make it effective.

For those reasons, I quit doing 12mans and it's why I don't enjoy Stomptown much right now because before, when you had to have equal 12man groups facing off, you didn't see them in queue. Now you can get partial or whole company drops like that who then are proving to just slaughter everyone in front of them. I seem to recall reading on Reddit that the House of Lords when the 5+ groups were allowed had a victory run of 100-0 before they said... nope no more. I know I've had it done to me by many units out there when I was just playing filler for a 10 man casual group and next thing you know, you're facing HHOD's tournament team and getting your brains kicked in because you got stuck with a 10man of Beerwarriors.

This is not fun.

There would be some nights you would play maybe 1 match or 2 in a 2 1/2 hour span. That's pathetic, and I would absolutely hate for it to go back there.

I agree. That was pathetic when there was only 2-4 12man teams on at any one time forcing you to square off against the same guys again and again regardless of mismatch because there was no one else. Which is also a bad sign of the state of the game. Of course going out and forcing small groups of friends to take on these monsters by rolling them into the 12man queue which is essentially what PGI did was an even BIGGER mistake.

Now the 12mans get practice against wooden pells and everyone else gets the MWO version of a swirlie.

They did that because they realized that they couldn't fragment the queue any further. What you're suggesting is Pug, Casual groups, and Comp groups. I don't know if thats really going to work.

You may be right, but what they're doing now is incentivizing a worse state of the game. Friends can't team up and enjoy themselves in a casual environment, or at least less hard core play, and competitive teams cannot find opponents because the game population is too small to support them. This is a dire state.

That is why I suggested the three queue solution of:

Solo queue: player that drop solo into PUG groups.
Lance Queue: Groups of 2-4 with the option for solo players to join in.
Company Queue: Groups of 5+ with the option for 4man lances to opt in. Groups of 8+ can drop opt to short against equal sized opponents.

This is parsing finer, but it allows for an 'opt in' option, just like you have for the game modes. So if solo players don't care if they end up against 2-4 man groups, fine. They can join in. But if they're so scared of that, they can go to the solo queue only and worry only about the evil premade sync drop :angry:

By allowing a lance of 4 players to opt into the company queue, it increases the ability of the company queue to satisfy the needs of 12man groups with those who feel prepared enough to take on that level of play. You also get to allow groups of 11 to happen, 8 man drops can occur with the opt in function and generally, this will help ensure people who want to play at this level have the option and a bucket big enough to make it worth while.

See, I didn't make this choice without knowing what it's like to be in all levels of this game. PUGging and12man play both made me want to quit. Now that's all I have left. Dirty pool, PGI.

So a group drops into the Comp queue gets rofl stomped 5 times in a row, the first thing they are going to do is go into the casual group. While they are not better than the comp groups that are in there now, they are better than anyone in the casual groups. There they would proceed with the stomping.

And that is why you have a return of the Lance Queue with opt in for solo players. There is no place for the casual competitive since Elo is not a hard barrier... anywhere. It happens in the Soloqueue, just not as severe or frequently and why it has the nickname Derptown.

IF you did decide to go down this path you must make an incentive to do the Comp drop. Either way one of the two queues are going to die off . Leaving you in the same position as before the change was made.

See, I don't see the same outcome you do. Then again, my solution is not quite the same as what you were envisioning I was wanting.

#266 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

I'm not going to keep running in circles chasing bad faith arguments saying that ECM is the same thing as sync dropping, loyalty points don't work but will some day so sync dropping isn't any advantage or creating absurd terms like "anti-group" to try and paint anyone who objects to exploiting as a hater, as though everyone who groups or the act of playing in a group is the same as sync dropping. None of these are good faith arguments.

If anyone in this discussion doesn't understand the difference between the words "solo" and "group" and why there are two queues to split them and exactly why the effort was made to do so....

They are either unable to understand the topic or unwilling to discuss it in good faith.

The argument that 'people will do it anyway, just accept it' is every bit as disingenuous. You enforce the rules you create for a game or else the rules don't matter, in which case why are we not all rolling the aimbot?

@Aresye;

You make some fair and cogent arguments. I absolutely understand how for some people the playing with friends piece is the biggest part.

I also agree that I find no reason this tournament couldn't have been done in solo or group queue - the only groups who were so good that they would roll it easily can do so in solo queue as well and likely have little need for a measly 6 mil.

The answer to that is not sync dropping in the solo queue. The groups have been shafted repeatedly, I get that it took 2 years to get a group queue at all. Please remember though that thy whole reason it was created was bad feelings over groups playing against solo players.

I absolutely understand why someone would do it for this tournament. I still say that if you don't like the rules of the tournament then don't play. Sync dropping isn't cool and creates other issues.

While I'm not accusing you or your mates of this can you see where this comes across as very special snowflake? The queue was split for a reason, skirting that isn't legit. If you don't like the rules then complain about the rules. Exploiting to get your way isn't a good solution or fair -then saying it's fair because anyone can exploit doesn't make it better.

#267 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not at all against players playing with their friends. That's why I lobbied to no end for PGI to allow us to play together in groups of any size.

Yes, and I saw the danger back when Roadbeer was white knighting this concept. Now, as I posted in another thread he's off laughing the laugh of the damned because the true nature of the 5+ consequences is being fully felt. If they would have only left the original play mode we had and ADDED this instead, there would be far less of a problem.

snip a lot of sanctimonious self righteous invalid moral superiority.

This is a mischaracterization of what I said. I did not say I didn't want to play against groups... I want to play against BALANCED groups. Currently the elo mismatches are incredibly large and common in the group queue because it averages out the group elo, thereby hiding very good players among bad. The larger the group the easier it is. In essence it is the same, falsely made claim, that the Rambos are making about Sync dropping... except it has legitimacy. It's the same problem the rambos had when even small groups were mixed in with solo players but writ grand scale in the group queue... and now you're defending the precise thing you condemn only because it's happening to someone else???

If I'm facing against a team that is balanced to my skill level, it's a blast. When I get a lance of people I should never see... it's less amusing. Does this mean I'm bad? Compared to the best players in the game? Sure! I suck against them! Fully admit it, but I'm still better than thousands of other players. You don't pair up Junior High Intramural players versus NFL players and say, have fun kids. Let's face it... nobody's having fun anymore when this is done and to say it's right and proper is stupid at the least.

As for the impression you make that if someone don't like being in a queue where you constantly have to play with players out of your league and enjoy getting beat to tar instead of finding something that is more your level of skill and speed of play, you're a bad person??? What kind of elitist crap is that? Oh, and notice the hypocrisy that you are condemning sync droppers for doing just that when they have no ability to do this?

I, and every other sync drop I've seen or been in do not do so to 'prey on' all you innocent little orchids in the solo queue any moreso than you do to each other. To try and characterize this as a moral issue or flaw in any sync dropper's character is repugnant and beneath contempt.

And I'm being lectured on honor by you?

I'm done feeding you, troll.

#268 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

None of these are good faith arguments.

The foundation of this entire thread has been struck.

The argument that 'people will do it anyway, just accept it' is every bit as disingenuous. You enforce the rules you create for a game or else the rules don't matter, in which case why are we not all rolling the aimbot?

And this is another example of a bad faith argument based on false equivalency.

Sync dropping isn't cool and creates other issues.

It's perfectly cool, lots of fun and harms no one. there are no secondary issues. Elo is balanced because there is no way to hide it, there is little to no guarantee you will be on the same team as others in your channel, it happens accidentally and will grow less and less possible as the player base grows and can easily be de-incentivized by fixing elo mismatches in groups.

The queue was split for a reason, skirting that isn't legit.

This is not 'skirting' the rule either. A sync drop is NOTHING like an organized 12man. If you recall when 12man groups got into the public queues 4 months back and the destruction they caused in a short period of time, you'll remember why 12mans used to only be able to face other 12mans. A sync drop is not a 12man, or large group.

Edited by Kjudoon, 24 August 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#269 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

To avoid you cherry picking and strawmanning up another response I'm going to start responding to you with yes or no questions.

Do you understand the difference between the words "group" and "solo"?

Do you understand that there are in fact two different queues?

Do you understand that they are, respectively, the group queue and the solo queue?

Are you a special little snowflake to simply can't manage to play by the same system that everyone else can and does?

#270 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

Oh, and pointing out that breaking the rules is in fact breaking the rules is not a false equivalency. That would be saying sync dropping is like ecm or something similarly absurd.

#271 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Are you a special little snowflake to simply can't manage to play by the same system that everyone else can and does?

I do have to cherry pick this one (And I am sorry for it) If Everyone else is following "the rules" nobody COULD sync drop. Its a nit pick I know, but One I could not resist.

#272 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 August 2014 - 01:09 PM, said:

This is a mischaracterization of what I said. I did not say I didn't want to play against groups... I want to play against BALANCED groups.

No you don't.. because you can play against balanced groups in the group queue.
You want to play against solo players, while playing in a group.

Sorry man, but you aren't doing yourself any favors here. You're making yourself look bad, to an extent well beyond anything I could possibly do by saying anything about you.

Like I said, I have no idea who you are... I'm just pointing out that if you feel you can't compete in the group queue, and need to sync drop against pugs to not lose, you are painting yourself in a poor light.

If I'm facing against a team that is balanced to my skill level, it's a blast. When I get a lance of people I should never see... it's less amusing. Does this mean I'm bad? Compared to the best players in the game? Sure! I suck against them! Fully admit it, but I'm still better than thousands of other players. You don't pair up Junior High Intramural players versus NFL players and say, have fun kids. Let's face it... nobody's having fun anymore when this is done and to say it's right and proper is stupid at the least.

But dude, there's absolutely nothing about the group queue which puts you against extra good players... Especially since, now, the group queue is mainly comprised of totally average players. It's certainly not some kind of haven of uber-players.

Back when there were ONLY allowed to be 12 man teams in that queue? Then it was different, mainly because it was almost impossible to get exactly 12 people together to play.. But now? Since you can easily make a team with any number of players? It means that MOST groups in the group queue are just average folks playing together.

As for the impression you make that if someone don't like being in a queue where you constantly have to play with players out of your league and enjoy getting beat to tar instead of finding something that is more your level of skill and speed of play, you're a bad person??? What kind of elitist crap is that? Oh, and notice the hypocrisy that you are condemning sync droppers for doing just that when they have no ability to do this?

Honestly dude, if the only time you ever play against people who you feel you are able to be competitive against is when you are in a group sync-dropped against solo players? I mean, I don't really need to say what that means. You're saying it yourself.

I, and every other sync drop I've seen or been in do not do so to 'prey on' all you innocent little orchids in the solo queue any moreso than you do to each other. To try and characterize this as a moral issue or flaw in any sync dropper's character is repugnant and beneath contempt.

That's exactly what you're doing, man.

You lose in the group queue, so then you sync drop to play against disorganized pugs.

I'm not the one making you look bad here, dude. You're making yourself look bad, and you look worse and worse the more you try to explain it.. because simply through honest explanation of what you are doing, and why you are doing it, you make yourself look bad.

Because what you are doing is bad.

#273 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostRoland, on 24 August 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

length

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 August 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

length.

just curious, what advantage does a group have over solo players in your opinions?

#274 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 24 August 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

To avoid you cherry picking and strawmanning up another response I'm going to start responding to you with yes or no questions.

Do you understand the difference between the words "group" and "solo"?

Do you understand that there are in fact two different queues?

Do you understand that they are, respectively, the group queue and the solo queue?

In an effort to avoid the incorrect assumption of what terms mean, I clarified because I also know the 'yes/no' trick.

1. Yes. Solo means to drop alone into a group. A sync drop is a solo drop that is timed. Ergo, it meets the criterion of a solo drop for a team game. Solo does not mean 'must be total stranger unable to communicate or coordinate with'. that's silly.

2. Absolutely. One allows for a more even matching of elo, Solo queue because it is measured individually. The group queue averages it between all members of a group causing large mismatches in skill creating matches that should never have happened.

3. Yes, and I have previously explained the difference. Do you?

4. No. But if I am, every anti syncer in this thread is an even more delicate little snowflake for freaking out and not comprehending sync does mean the same as group because of it's mechanics. I also recognize the abject hypocrisy of accusing a sync dropper of not being able to handle something a solo pugger refuses to 'handle' in elo mismatches and then pretend they're morally superior.

Rules are not broken. Intent is not thwarted. Sync is not a boogyman.

Elo mismatches caused by group elo averaging are, and if you cannot acknowledge this simple fact, then you cannot have an honest conversation on the subject. I hear no criticism of my proposed solutions or necessary improvements to fix this situation, only complaining, elitist self righteousness, smug arrogance and tantrums over the fact it happens and it cannot be stopped and yet harms nothing because somehow it messes with their chi. I mean come ON guys.... What do you really want? The solo story game where you have nobody to play with? Or a team game you can't play with your friends because the only way to do that is to square off against the kind of hyper mentality of a peewee baseball league father who won't stop trying to live vicariously through his son or daughter.

Edited by Kjudoon, 24 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#275 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Everyone, mudhut is on an island.

He's just on an island of 1 though, so no worries of him taking up space on the glorious tropical island that some of us like to partake in.

I believe sand is the official food on said island, and the economy is based on tinfoil.

Please continue your regularly scheduled debate that doesn't involve our star OP.

#276 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

View PostSandpit, on 24 August 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

just curious, what advantage does a group have over solo players in your opinions?

Generally, a coordinated team has reasonable advantages, in that they are familiar with each other, can coordinate their mechs to synergize, and can more easily communicate via comms.

These advantages are fairly obvious though, aren't they?

#277 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 24 August 2014 - 01:53 PM, said:

Everyone, mudhut is on an island.

He's just on an island of 1 though, so no worries of him taking up space on the glorious tropical island that some of us like to partake in.

I believe sand is the official food on said island, and the economy is based on tinfoil.

Please continue your regularly scheduled debate that doesn't involve our star OP.

exactly why I haven't been entertaining any of his troll bait, snark, or misleading posts. he STILL hasn't answered my question of how he would improve what he perceives as a major issue in the game

View PostRoland, on 24 August 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Generally, a coordinated team has reasonable advantages, in that they are familiar with each other, can coordinate their mechs to synergize, and can more easily communicate via comms.

These advantages are fairly obvious though, aren't they?

I'm asking because I honesly am curious and want to know what you guys feel are the advantages a group has over a solo. I'm tired of the PUG references because most groups are PUGs as well, they're just PUGs with Voip.

If you jump on the NGNG TS server and drop with a random group of players for a few matches you are hardly some highly coordinated team, you're a PUG (Pick Up Group). You're just a PUG with a lobby and Voip.

#278 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:09 PM

View PostSandpit, on 24 August 2014 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm asking because I honesly am curious and want to know what you guys feel are the advantages a group has over a solo. I'm tired of the PUG references because most groups are PUGs as well, they're just PUGs with Voip.

If you jump on the NGNG TS server and drop with a random group of players for a few matches you are hardly some highly coordinated team, you're a PUG (Pick Up Group). You're just a PUG with a lobby and Voip.

Well, most of the folks in the group queue aren't really that well organized at all anyway.. Most teams are just folks running around and goofing off.. Hell, even large teams are rarely some kind of uber pilots.

That's why the idea that the group queue is somehow "stompville" is nonsense.

Right now I'm playing with one other guy, and we're mostly winning in the group queue... And we're getting put on teams with multiple other groups... and the teams we're going up against are mostly small groups.

#279 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostRoland, on 24 August 2014 - 02:09 PM, said:

Well, most of the folks in the group queue aren't really that well organized at all anyway.. Most teams are just folks running around and goofing off.. Hell, even large teams are rarely some kind of uber pilots.

That's why the idea that the group queue is somehow "stompville" is nonsense.

Right now I'm playing with one other guy, and we're mostly winning in the group queue... And we're getting put on teams with multiple other groups... and the teams we're going up against are mostly small groups.

Exactly, so that's the first misconception that needs to be cleared up. PUG =/= solo players. PUG = pick up group. Most groups you see running around are simply PUGs with Voip.

#280 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

Sync dropping is as old as internet team games that do not allow groups, or allow groups of a smaller size than the team...There are always gonna be people that try to do it, for any number of potential reasons. Most of us will have done it at one stage or another, indeed, in some groups in some games, it is considered the norm.....

Yet to see ANY game successfully deal with it, even in games where it is perceived as a major issue. I'm of the opinion that tracking every player is waaaay too resource intensive to be a solution.

Anyway, given the state of the game at this point in time, shouldn't we be calling it "desync dropping"?.... :D

If PGI are going to devote resources to fix ANYTHING, sync dropping is right at the bottom of the list, if it is even on the list at all, personally I don't see it as a huge issue. The DESYNCING problem, however, is a major issue, I'm sure we all agree that this is the number one problem that needs fixing, ASAP.

Edited by Petard, 24 August 2014 - 02:18 PM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users