Medium Mech Jocks: What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Rides, And Why?

BattleMechs

166 replies to this topic

#101 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Mine are hard after one, since clans came out.

1. Kintro-18, macinegun lrm5 for the win: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6516eb28198f5b3
best pre ppc nerf

2. Shadowhawk-2d-2
3. Cicada-3m
4. Cent-D (love my fast cent to bad its days are done.
5. YlW still a fun ride but..... I cant keep it going!

#102 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

Loved all five Cicadas.

Love the Stormcrow.

I liked the Shadowhawks, but I can't say I ever really fell in love with it.

Loved my BlackJacks.

#103 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

1) Griffin 3M... because 4SRM6 is best SRM6
2) Shadowhawk 2D2 with LBX10 SRM combo meal
3) Stormcrow because 5ASRM6 is best ASRM6... and lasers are fun too.
4) Centurion A because it can still out tank an Atlas.
5) Nova, because sawing assaults in half is fun.

Edited by John80sk, 26 August 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#104 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

My go to mediums:

CN9-A(C): Hasn't changed since CB (except when I won the free champion, then I moved the loadout over and sold the non-champion one).

YEN-LO-WANG: Because phallic jokes. And it's painted pink and magenta (Proof).

GRF-3M: Because it's still a decent poptart. And because it's sexy times.

SCR-PRIME: It's damn near the only clan mech I just really enjoy.

#105 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:47 AM

1. GRF-1N - As everyone can see with their eyes, the single most beautiful mech in MWO. This mech brings with it the ability to sacrifice an arm (which is very large) as well as a torso and lose absolutely nothing in performance, making it one of the most durable medium mechs in Mechwarrior online to date.
2. HBK-4G - Despite being out performed by the Shadowhawk, the Hunchback has a low profile, and powerfully accurate ballistics. When combined with the might of the AC 20 and a powerful enough engine, it can put an obscene amount of unanswered damage down range.
3. SHD-2D2 - Possibly the best Medium mech in the game. Having the golden weight for mediums, 55 tons, it combines speed and power, with the mobility of jumpjets, as well as every type of hardpoint in appropriate numbers and placement. With a narrow profile, it even can fire PPCs with accuracy.
4. CDA-3M - Rounding out the lightest of the Medium mechs, the 3M brings with it solid hit boxes, speed rivaling light mechs, the weight required to bring PPCs, and ECM.
5. BJ-1 - A medium mech that is often found wielding the awesome power of the AC 20, the Blackjack is the smaller brother to the Jagermech. Everything you like about the Jager can be said about the Blackjack as its high mount ballistics allow for peeking over hills with relative safety.

#106 Tenacious B

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 43 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

GRF-3M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...509c05f2a298169

Wait until a fight breaks out and sneak in with this scrappy little brawler, with 48.4 alphas that you can fire off 2 or 3 times in a pinch before needing a cooldown. But i prefer hitting with the lasers, then Srm10 followed by the other 6.. Rinse and repeat. When sh-- gets too crazy, just fly away. :P

Edited by Tenacious B, 27 August 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#107 ei8ht

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 82 posts
  • Locationobscured by ECM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

Griffin IN Hammer & Shield
Shawk 2K Hammer & Stiletto
Treb LG Sledgehammer

#108 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:06 AM

Blackjack-1 - effectively the stock champion build. You can easily pull 600+ damage a game if you can nail your shots.

Arrow - Build for critical hits, and you're golden.

Blackjack 1X - 6 medium lasers and other forms of firepower to back it up. You will be hitting for 30 damage each time you fire off those 6 ML. Going 110 KPH with an XL 280 engine is no joke if you want to ruin someone's torso.

Nova - Always build with machine guns. Don't underestimate small laser potential.

I hear the Griffin is amazing, as is the Shadowhawk. Vindicator might be a contender I check out. Kintaro is a finicky machine that I never had any good luck with.

Cicadas were my first mech. I still do well with them. I started off with the X-5 and the 3M. You can do a lot with both of them if you play them correctly. Do not circle strafe in them unless 1v1. I typically run my 3M with a LPL and 3ML backup. The ECM is nice.

#109 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

New list for me...

1) HBK-4G
2) GRF-1N
3) HBK-4G
4) Yen-Lo-Wang
5) HBK-4G

#110 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

only 5? curse you Bishop for making me choose!

1) streaktaro 18- my official go-to tourney/challenge/contest mech usual 2ML/5SSRMs

2) Bloody Cent- my bright red Cent A(C) 3ASRM4s and 2ML

3) Arrow- BJ-A 3MPLs and 6MG, only thing i don;t like is when the torso twist stiops so soon compared to my other mediums

then there's a bit of a liking drop to

4) BJ-1X - 2ML/3MPLs kind of hit or miss as to how i do in it but i still like it

5) Hunchy 4SP- old faithful- 5ML and an ASRM 4, still dust if off from time to time

the close calls in no particular order

Big Ben- Grid Iron- had an LRM 20 version for a bit but since it only fires 10 at a time dropped it to a ALRM 10, 2ML, MPL and 2MG for giggles

BJ-DDC- since no one else likes it i made it my ac20 mech instead of the BJ-1 (which is ac10 and dual ML/SL) which also ends up on this list

Trebbie 3C- 4ML and 2ASRM 4s, kinda dropped a down a bit lately used to like it a lot but hardly use it

KTO 20- dual ALRM15s and 2ML- my usual LRM mech.

finally Cicada 3C ML, AC5 and 3MG- mainly because i can fire all day and never worry about heat. hit or miss results though but i like it.

i also expect a vindicator to show up on the list soon when they become cbill purchasable

Edited by Tanar, 27 August 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#111 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

HBK-4H:
A Gauss rifle and 4x MLs and the ability to hill hump like a pro, protect that side torso and it can do a lot of damage. With a STD245 Engine and with speed tweak its max speed is 85KPH. Not super speedy, but still very quick and allows you to be a highly mobile sniper platform.
She is my go to mech.

CDA-X5:
4x MLs and 2x SRM6s with 2-3 tons of ammo or so and a top speed of around 138KPH. This thing is basically a smaller and faster HBK-4SP. Great hit and run monster.

SHD-2D2:
UAC5, 4x SRM4s, and 2x MLs... This thing wrecks face. Hard not to like the Shawks as they are by far one of the most XL friendly mechs around which means you can pack on a lot of firepower and speed while not worrying to much about the fragility of the XL Engine.

BJ-1:
Most people like to run these with XL Engines and AC20s... I like it with an AC10 and 4x MLs. Great solder mech, especially as it has a STD Engine instead of a XL which makes it very tough. Blackjacks over all handle like a dream and are master hill humpers with their high mounted weapons.
Jagers call it "mini me".

Edited by Coralld, 27 August 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#112 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

You simply can't go wrong with "the classic" AC20 Hunchback. I prefer the G variant simply because I like my MGs too much. You can kill Lights that don't differentiate the Hunchie from the other Mediums and think that they can take it on as easy as the other chassis of the class. N.O.P.E.

When you aren't killing/crippling Lights you can always support the big guys by adding to their firepower and using them as 'mobile cover'.

#113 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

View Postcdlord, on 27 August 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

New list for me...

1) HBK-4G
2) GRF-1N
3) HBK-4G
4) Yen-Lo-Wang
5) HBK-4G

ever consider dropping a ton of lrm ammo and switching to 2x LRM5? Do that(since you can fire it as a lrm10 anyhow), and you can switch to Ferro Armor, and shoehorn a 275 standard in there.
VND-1AA
oops...supposed to be this
GRF-1N

View PostTanar, on 27 August 2014 - 06:36 AM, said:

only 5? curse you Bishop for making me choose!

1) streaktaro 18- my official go-to tourney/challenge/contest mech usual 2ML/5SSRMs

2) Bloody Cent- my bright red Cent A(C) 3ASRM4s and 2ML

3) Arrow- BJ-A 3MPLs and 6MG, only thing i don;t like is when the torso twist stiops so soon compared to my other mediums

then there's a bit of a liking drop to

4) BJ-1X - 2ML/3MPLs kind of hit or miss as to how i do in it but i still like it

5) Hunchy 4SP- old faithful- 5ML and an ASRM 4, still dust if off from time to time

the close calls in no particular order

Big Ben- Grid Iron- had an LRM 20 version for a bit but since it only fires 10 at a time dropped it to a ALRM 10, 2ML, MPL and 2MG for giggles

BJ-DDC- since no one else likes it i made it my ac20 mech instead of the BJ-1 (which is ac10 and dual ML/SL) which also ends up on this list

Trebbie 3C- 4ML and 2ASRM 4s, kinda dropped a down a bit lately used to like it a lot but hardly use it

KTO 20- dual ALRM15s and 2ML- my usual LRM mech.

finally Cicada 3C ML, AC5 and 3MG- mainly because i can fire all day and never worry about heat. hit or miss results though but i like it.

i also expect a vindicator to show up on the list soon when they become cbill purchasable

I've been cursed for worse, and I have been cursed for less.... :)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#114 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Top five...

5: Kintaro GB. Not the best of the best but it carries enough punch to be a sneaky *bleeep*

4: CDA-X5: Weird and adorable and it can bite really good.

3: S-hawk PP: The perfect blend of speed, firepower and torso twist Unfortunatley it is a bit to perfect and it do not really stand out on any point.

2: HBK-4SP: Just like my number one pick this one is very situational and take keeping a balance between insane and just plain crazy as you go up and brawl against mechs that carry twice the amount of weapons that you do.

1: Cent YLW: It takes a very special kind of love to pilot a mech that has a XL and a big target painted on it´s right sidetorso... But when you outrun some lights and packs a AC/20... There is no way to not love that mech... That being said i never drop in the YLW and expect to live at the end of the match. I bought it the day it came out and i have never regretted it

#115 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

ever consider dropping a ton of lrm ammo and switching to 2x LRM5? Do that(since you can fire it as a lrm10 anyhow), and you

So here's where I get weird.... I can absolutely do that, sure, but the mech just doesn't look right with LRMs poking out of it's chest. Not aesthetically pleasing for me. Does this outlook hurt me? I'm sure it does, but with the numbers I throw downrange, I am pretty adapt at overcoming these shortcomings... :)

All my mechs with single launchers but multiple hardpoints are designed with this outlook.

Edited by cdlord, 27 August 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#116 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

View Postcdlord, on 27 August 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

So here's where I get weird.... I can absolutely do that, sure, but the mech just doesn't look right with LRMs poking out of it's chest. Not aesthetically pleasing for me. Does this outlook hurt me? I'm sure it does, but with the numbers I throw downrange, I am pretty adapt at overcoming these shortcomings... :)

All my mechs with single launchers but multiple hardpoints are designed with this outlook.

http://mwomercs.com/...the-fianchetto/
well, admittedly,. I would prefer my GRF-1N to look like this...... still tryign to get that to be the GRF HEro, lol

#117 Kampfer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

There is not nearly enough Nova love in this thread.
Novas are not great in a stand up fight, but if you play flanking and peak-a-boo well with them they are a nightmare. Even with 12 ERMLs, especially with 12 ERMLs

#118 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 08:17 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...the-fianchetto/
well, admittedly,. I would prefer my GRF-1N to look like this...... still tryign to get that to be the GRF HEro, lol

Yep, I'm hoping for a Griffin Hero too, though that means I'll need more MC.... "Wife! I need money!"

#119 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 27 August 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Top five...

5: Kintaro GB. Not the best of the best but it carries enough punch to be a sneaky *bleeep*

4: CDA-X5: Weird and adorable and it can bite really good.

3: S-hawk PP: The perfect blend of speed, firepower and torso twist Unfortunatley it is a bit to perfect and it do not really stand out on any point.

2: HBK-4SP: Just like my number one pick this one is very situational and take keeping a balance between insane and just plain crazy as you go up and brawl against mechs that carry twice the amount of weapons that you do.

1: Cent YLW: It takes a very special kind of love to pilot a mech that has a XL and a big target painted on it´s right sidetorso... But when you outrun some lights and packs a AC/20... There is no way to not love that mech... That being said i never drop in the YLW and expect to live at the end of the match. I bought it the day it came out and i have never regretted it

my "Suicide-Ride"
HBK-4SP
right arm get sa trigger, left one, and then the torso and head weapons. People say XLs are suicide in a HBK, but hey, no Hunch, so whatever.

#120 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 August 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

ever consider dropping a ton of lrm ammo and switching to 2x LRM5? Do that(since you can fire it as a lrm10 anyhow), and you can switch to Ferro Armor, and shoehorn a 275 standard in there.
VND-1AA

Great Bishop :)
This is esactly the striker AA1 I was planning to built next week.
But with 2 JJ less, and more speed (xl 295)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4131e34bda1dec2

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 27 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users