Medium Mech Jocks: What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Rides, And Why?

BattleMechs

166 replies to this topic

#61 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 August 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

An accurate, patient hunter with one of these mechs is capable of exploiting the Clan's greatest weaknesses very effectively: How terrible their weapons are in close quarters combat.

I wouldn't say *all* of the Clan weapons are terrible in close quarters. C-SPLs, C-MGs, and C-LBXs are all pretty solid in close quarters, but I agree that the IS AC/20 does have the Clan version beat in terms of pure fear and blasting power if someone can use it well.

#62 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

I love that there are more TBTs (I haven't bought any, yet) listed than SHDs in these lists overall.

Very telling... of what... i don't really know.

But i think it's the fact that the medium class is the one class where you'll almost always find a non-meta build that you excel in. One that far outperforms the meta options of the SHDs, even when you have a bad day.

I know this is the case for me. I can work hard and get solid 1-2 kills, 275-550 damage in my SHDs regularly... but it is hard work, and not fun. Toss me in just about any other medium though and I'll do 1-3 kills and 400-1200 damage, regularly.

#63 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSleipnir Cameron

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

1) Centurions. From the AH to the YLW I love them all.
2) Stormcrow-damned clanners did this one right XD
3)wolverine 7k-versatility and attitude, and speed to boot!
4)shadowhawks-the only mech from the sldf i truly love
5) darth maul nova- this thing is just stupid fun to pilot....gotta admit that XD

#64 Kvaneal

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

TBT5J - jump jets and ERPPC x 2 this was my go to for fun up till the Firestarter came out. Sadly I can field nearly the same thing on the Firestarter, be smaller and go faster.

BJ1 - more jump jets with AC20 love.

SHD5M - the chassis I mastered the quickest, and grew the most bored with. JJ + 2xAC5 equals beat downs for bad guys, but I parked this thing not long after mastering.

NVA-S - will be buying two Cbill variants so I can finish mastering, but then will probably park it long term. Stuck with nerf jets and standard armor, plus the low slung extra wide arms means the SCR will be replacing it eventually, without a second thought.

CN9A - tried for 175 matches to like this critter - now sold.

#65 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostMott, on 26 August 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

I love that there are more TBTs (I haven't bought any, yet) listed than SHDs in these lists overall.

Very telling... of what... i don't really know.

SHDs are mediums for heavy jocks, not medium jocks?

(Edit: like my CDAs are really mediums for light pilots? Or are they? There really ain't no thing like a Cicada but a Cicada...)

Edited by Terciel1976, 26 August 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#66 Tanreh

• PipPip
  • Private, First Class
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

1.) Cicada 3M... I just got used to it and it made me feel immersed in the world. It reacts rather well to my sluggish commands and has a good range of roles. It has the speed of the lights and with ECM and 2 ERLL it is a very nice sniping mech. Very good to reach sniping positions in a second or to get into position to help comrades.

2.) Stormcrow... I just like all of them as they make you feel to move in a very elegant way (at least from within the cockpit). They can be modified to take every role and they are stil rather speedy

3.) Hunchback 4G..: Uh...me is Hulk....I do damage...and I do damage with a big hit. The AC20 is fearsome and the hulkback is a good brawler. He lacks a bit of speed but stil....me do damage

4.) Kintaro 18(C): Well actually I got to like it during the last two weekends when I tried to get the challenges on a second account (one without MCs and Mechs..) I like the constant rain of LRMS5s and the rather good ability to get into firing positions. It is something other than the Hulkback or the snipacada

5.) Hmm..BlackJacks and Novas are both fun to play..lots of firepower for the variants while retained good speed.

#67 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

IS:

1) Nasty BLACKJACK-1... AC-20 does matter.
2) GRIFFIN-3M... a walking RPG battery with 4xSRM6 is so bad ass.

CL:
1) STROMCROW-C

#68 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostKai Harper, on 26 August 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

I wouldn't say *all* of the Clan weapons are terrible in close quarters. C-SPLs, C-MGs, and C-LBXs are all pretty solid in close quarters, but I agree that the IS AC/20 does have the Clan version beat in terms of pure fear and blasting power if someone can use it well.

I didn't say all, I just said the greatest weakness of their weapons - meant it as an overall design thing. The vast majority of Clan weapons are really bad in close quarters, and even those that aren't bad, are generally not particularly good either.

LB-X autocannons are inferior to IS regular autocannons everywhere except at extremely close range - as in, within 100m. They are, however, better at close in fast paced fights than CUAC's, so there's that. CMG's are the same as MG's functionally. CSPL and CERSL are actually very good CQB weapons, but they are ONLY good at that, and outside the Nova rarely taken in sufficient numbers to be an issue.

#69 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 August 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

I didn't say all, I just said the greatest weakness of their weapons - meant it as an overall design thing. The vast majority of Clan weapons are really bad in close quarters, and even those that aren't bad, are generally not particularly good either.

LB-X autocannons are inferior to IS regular autocannons everywhere except at extremely close range - as in, within 100m. They are, however, better at close in fast paced fights than CUAC's, so there's that. CMG's are the same as MG's functionally. CSPL and CERSL are actually very good CQB weapons, but they are ONLY good at that, and outside the Nova rarely taken in sufficient numbers to be an issue.

In that case, yeah, completely agreed, except for the Clan LBXs. I personally find them to still be quite accurate at 400ish meters, and have double legged lights a few times with both the LB5, and the LB20 at about that range.

#70 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Kit Fox. UAC5, 3 ER ML, ECM.

No, wait, that's a light.

Okay, let's try a Raven 4x with 2 ER LL, machine guns and SRMS?

Er, also a light. Damn it.

Okay, how about a shadow hawk 2h with LBX10, ASRM12, and a medium laser that I should probably just remove because it always gets blown off before I run out of ammo anyway?

Yeah, okay, that's a medium. An Atlas tried to have a staring contest with me once. It didn't win. Normally, though, I get suckered into chasing someone into the entire enemy team and end up getting expodified, but I *still* do 200-300 damage.

Originally it was my LRM boat and I got an Orion to do the LBX+SRM thing, but swapping the roles works better all around.

#71 Rugarou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 429 posts
  • LocationDown da bayou...

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Mediums have been my love since C-Beta, though I moved away for awhile to pilot Jagers.

HBK-4SP Med. Lasers and SRMs. Pure in your face brawler with excellent speed and twisting for hit and run tactics. I pray for River City when I pilot this mech. Standard engine and mirrored weaponry means you're in the fight for a long time.
(HBK-4G Honorable mention here. Recently fell back in love with this little terror during the challenges.)

SHD-2D2 Artemis SRMs and AC/LBX 10 makes even assaults fear you inside 200m. It's high mobility makes it a perfect flanking mech or reactionary force to deal with enemy movements. Generally a mid to late game mech unless probing enemy lines early on. And yes, it is too easy going 1v1 in this thing.

Stormcrows Pick one, it doesn't matter which one. They are all excellent and can be fitted for any role. Speed, FOV, and weapon positioning are superb.

I still have to pick up the Griffin and try it out. Its the next mech on my list. Keep rocking fellow medium mech jocks. See you on the battlefield.

#72 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Treb 7K "König"
Gauss, ER-PPC, XL260
TBT-7K

#73 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

The game needs more Mediums. Bring us:

· Medium 'Mechs

· Assassin

· Clint

· Hermes II

· Vulcan

· Whitworth

· Hatchetman

· Enforcer

· Dervish

Scorpion and Phoenix Hawk are no goes due to being quad legged and unseen.

Sadly, doesn't look like the Enforcer is an option either as it only has 2 variants. They could make a stretch and use the Enforcer III 6Ma as an option, possibly call it the 6X. But, that would be a big stretch and the Enforcer is similar to the Centurion, save for the missiles and JJs. So, you'd have to ask if PGI would be willing to put something out there which is basically just a Hunchback/Centurion with JJs.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 26 August 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#74 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

I'm exclusively a medium pilot. I take forays into the other weight classes, but quickly return to my true loves.

My top 5, in order:

Stormcrow - Currently the god of the medium bracket. Can face down and melt any IS med, and even some of the heavies. This build is just brutal (^person suggesting it won't be a Wang 1v1 is talking reckless).

Shadowhawk - not because of any specific build, just because between the variants it can do it all. Energy boat? I take the 2K with 3x ERLL or LPL. Missle boat? The 2D2 can be an SRM brawler or LRM spammer. Dakka dakka? 2H w 3x AC2 is much fun to play.

Griffin 3M - So much fun to play. The maneuverability and torso twist make it a more enjoyable ride than any Shadowhawk. Packs a mean punch when things get up close and ugly. Alternate ERPPC version.

Loup De Guerre - I do really well in this build. As a newbie I was close to giving up on the game, until I bought the Loop on a whim and tried this config.

Vindicator SIB - Can't say much, other than that I've already fallen in love with this mech. I've played it so much that I have enough XP saved to unlock elites and the master module slot, once I have basics done on two more Vindis. The SIB is the perfect mech for staying just to the rear of your heavies and assaults, firing at everything they do and fending off pesky lights. If you can understand the role of the second-line mech, this is the one for you. I'm looking forward to the 1AA and 1X.

#75 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:36 AM

Trebuchet TBT-7M : Jumpjets, Balanced hard point layout. Really snappy performance with a 300XL engine.

Blackjack: BJ-1X: Speedy variant with 2 LL and 5 ML. It's a great back stabber.

Only 2 make the cut for me for now, but hopefully the VND will make the cut.

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 26 August 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#76 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

1. Troll bucket, LRM 30
2. Scarecrow 4ERML, 2 ERLL (needs work, I think I can improve it, maybe 6 ERML, 1 LPL, basically the Laser Wolf on a Storm)
3. Scarecrow 4ERML, 3 Art 6
4. Loup de Loup 4 Art 6

#77 Cylian

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

1) Wolverine 7K (3xSRM/3xML)
It's a tough little Brawler, nothing like those flimsy Griffins.
2) Hunchback (AC20, 3xML)
Grid Iron Limited Edi...bzzzZzzt - <Target Info Overload> ...and AC20!
3) Blackjack 1 (AC20, 3xML)
same as the Hunchie, just with Jumpjets. And smaller.
4) Nova (12 sERL,4 MGs)
Don't be so distant.
5) Wolverine 6R (uAC5, 3xSRM4, 1xML)
Plays like a flying Centurion.

#78 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

As I hadn't posted my loadouts before, here they are.

HBK-4P

BJ-1DC

TBT-7M

SCR-C

CN9-A

#79 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

I like running mediums, but lately I've been reluctant to take them in the current state of the game (which is topheavy as it is). Then again, I've only just got the 2nd staying medium (Cicada-3M) after acquiring the mechbay and C-bills from the challenge (I have more Lights than I do than everything else, so :blink: ). I haven't bothered to take the Shadowhawk-2D2 so... I feel bad.

I do have a list, having grinded every medium chassis out (but not every (non-hero) variant, BJ-1DC and Cicada-3C are pretty it) and I don't think I'll do the Vindicator quite yet...

1) Shadowhawk-2D2 - Can do everything, but a master of none. That's fine... as this variant truly is what the Mediums strive to be, and make it do mostly anything you want is great. I've left it as a ASRM boat, but making it a Streakboat seems rather meh to me.

2) Griffin-3M - Best missile boat in the medium class... if/when you're considering JJs as the defining benefit over the Kintaro. I'll have to buy it back someday, but it was tons of fun to experiment with Streaks/ASRMs/LRMs on it.

3) Wolverine-7K - I like my missile boats to have more pewpew. It will never have as much missile power as the Griffin or Kintaro, but as I said... I like my pewpew. Missile weapon spread is somewhat more useful than the missile torso of the 3M, but it is what it is...

4) Centurion-D - I like the A, but the D was my fav back in Open Beta... but the hitbox change has made it less effective IMO. Still, chasing Lights @ 120-130kph with ASRM6 is a fun sight. It won't ever be great, but just for sheer scare power on anything that gets hit by ASRMs is great.

5) Hunchback-4P - While the weakness is obvious, it was great before the introduction of Ghost Heat. I did put together an OK build for it post-Ghost Heat, but it never became the same. In any case, all that pewpew was great when people least expected/wanted it. It was always glorious fun.

6) Trebuchet-7K - Yes, a 6th one. It was lots of fun using it (it's arguably better now missile-wise with the dynamic hardpoint changes). Using the arms as shields like the Centurion but carrying all the power weapons in the torso is far more optimal than the Centurion (ballistic or energy arms is a risk for being so damn large). Good times.

Honorable Mentions:

1) Trebuchet-5J - I keep mentioning I hate it, but I'll probably run it again on some medium leaderboard challenge. Don't ask me why but the love-hate relationship is healthy enough to recognize it for what it is. It's flawed, and very energy dependent, but I like energy hardpoints over most things so this gets the odd nod at those times.

2) Blackjack-1X - More energy, but still fun. Speed is what makes it over the other variants and while the BJ-1 is most popular... this is the only variant that never bothered me when it came to Ghost Heat because you HAD to multi-group fire the weapons by design and ideally... due to heat generation. Too bad for no JJs... B)

3) Cicada-3M - This was the 2nd mech chassis that I went with, and obviously got the 3M first because of the nifty 320XL it comes with (and I just rebought it). The ECM is still what keeps it relevant (well, ECM being powerful does that to anything) and while it seems less than appealing to max out the engine to get that speed (it is too much of a sacrifice IMO), it does tend to reliably hold more power than the 3L (minus the missiles). I still think it's a bad idea generally to make use of the ballistic slot in the first place (my original error being based on what I did for the Raven-4X at the time).

Oh well... I couldn't really find a way to fit in the Kintaro, (although, I value the Trebuchets far less in general) only because I could only effectively make them LRM boats unlike the Griffins because of its "larger size"/hitboxes.

#80 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Shadow Cat.

It is not even here (yet?) and it still my favorite.

Of the playable:
TBR....

SCR
GRF
SHD
CN9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users