Ask The Devs 8!

111 replies to this topic

#101 PostalPatriot

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Will we be able to choose what house we play for and have some sort of gobal map to battle over?

#102 light487

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Not sure if this has been asked before.. but when you eject from a mech obviously the purpose of this is to "run away" and get out of there so you don't actually die.

What happens to your mech after that? Are there some kind of extra "repair" or "towing" bills that will need to be paid? Or is it just assumed the mech gets back safely..?

#103 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

What is PGI's stance on extreme firing arch? For example holding a button to swing your left arm towards your far left side to that only your left arm weapons can focus on the target, (also will the this enable mechs to do the cloths line pro wrestling move?)

#104 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Is PGI aware that the canon laser firing mode is a burst of light over a fraction of a second as opposed to what we see in your many vids, a beam lasting up to two seconds long?

If PGI wasn't formerly aware of the BT canon laser then please allow me to quote from Tech-manual page 226 first paragraph: "The laser (its name originates from the ancient acronym “Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation”) is the most basic of modern battlefield energy weapons. Designed to deliver a concentrated burst of extreme heat to a small area, military-grade lasers can put a gouge through military-grade armors in a fraction of a second. Only the fact that sustained bursts of more than a few seconds would melt the optics used to align and focus each shot prevents lasers from becoming the ultimate “shoot-and-sweep” weapon."

If you were formerly informed then is your decision to change the laser from it's canon firing mode to it's current firing mode visible in the videos released to date in response to the fears of former MechWarrior gamers that the laser (as well as the PPC to a lesser degree) was over used and possibly even abused as an immediate precision weapon in previous game titles?

And in response to that, what is PGI's stance on turning the laser into a "shoot-and-sweep" damage over time weapon (as the information released so far describes it) and allowing it's users to correct their aim and deliver even more precise shots then the previously before feared highly accurate laser beams, while conversely also allowing an aware and intelligent MechWarrior to drag the shot away from it's intended point of attack to less damaged/vital areas with proper maneuvering?

Do you think this will negatively impact the game in any way, and additionally what do you think this will do for the competitiveness of the now "shoot-and-sweep" laser compared to other weapon platforms such as Autocannons, Gauss Rifles, PPCs, and Missiles that do not have to retain aim once fired?

Edited by KageRyuu, 24 June 2012 - 09:05 PM.

#105 SgtPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

1) will LRM's fire duds at short range or otherwise be hard to use without lock-on?

2) will we get different ammo types for AC/LRM/SRM etc?

3) will there be night vision and 'enhanced' vision?

4) can we get ammpo reloads in the field?

p.s. can an atlas use its fist to use a broken mechs arm as a club? if not why not?

p.p..s.) can PPC's toast bread???

#106 Trystane_WY

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wy

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

• What options are you looking into for victory conditions on maps? Capture the flag, total destruction, capture a central base, king of the hill, etc? How much control over the choice of victory conditions will players have - i.e. if a clan is defending a base from an invader they probably don't want to play a defense condition every time, or maybe their clan is built in such a way that they're better set offensively.
  • We all know that communication is key to games like these. What steps are you taking to make sure that all players in a random group get the information that is direly necessary to them. I know you've talked about the commander being an active role and part of a lancer group but I feel like this would only be a reasonable solution where everyone had voice communication and could give real-time feedback. Has there been any attempt to look into giving the chosen commander the option to do something a la "Natural Selection" command style where they are given a top-down map and have an array of tools to get information to the players?
  • What is being done to combat issues where mechs become obsolete - for example in World of Tanks where you have rank 1 to 10 of tanks but really only ranks 8-10 are played and lower tanks are just seen as fodder. Is that a concern?
  • Are 'Founder Mechs' a one-time thing or will they be open to anyone once the game goes live. If they are available for general purchase after launch what, if anything, will make the Founder edition stand out?
Thanks for your time! Really thrilled about everything I've read from you guys so far on this game :)

#107 Goodiel

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Q: Can you put a XL engine in a standard engine mech?

#108 TCLF

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:30 AM

Will it support eyefinity?

#109 Zainredding

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

1)Simulator
2)Battle Recorder
3)Battle Recorder(that's right twice)
4)DOT's?
5) Zoom?

A simulator you say? Yes i did. I would rather not have to test my configs for my mechs on a hot drop. It would be nice to have a place to test config's againt non-player mechs and also not have to worry about ammo and damage that you need to replace/repair.

Battle recorder works in many ways, the obvious one is the ability to record your battle and play it back. Yes fraps is ever present and we can use it but you may want to consider your own version of it. But other than just a 1st Person video of your battle more importantly, I would like a wire frame, top down view of the whole map. This would allow a much more helpful after action report and show both sides of the action.

Battle recorder 2 is more stats based. We will need to be able to see what our wespons are doing in combat. Usually handled 3rd party and rinky dinky at best why not give the player what they want up front eh? wink wink nudge nudge. Say no more.

Dot's. Yes and this is a serious one ladies and gents. After watching the videos and seeing how laser Damage is applied (at least visually) I am curious if lasers are damage over time weapons or if they will apply their full damage to the first impacted point. In the videos it is easy to see most of the laser's fire in about 2 seconds. They end up slashing across several sections of mech armor leaving an obvious trail behind. Now this is most likely just a clarification but when and were is the damage applied. Are they DOT's and you are spreading the damage out or do they inflict their damage at the begining or the end? Also how will latency fit in to that equation. inquiring minds want to know.

Will there be a Zoom like MW4? Oh please say yes. Pretty please?

Edited by Zainredding, 25 June 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#110 CptBob

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi Devs... ;)

I have been a long time fan of Battletech from way back when the tabletop game rules came in 3 separate books; Battletech, Citytech and Aerotech. Way before the Clans come to be and the Star League history was fleshed out, when there was only one type of Medium laser (no pulse or ER versions, let alone an inner sphere or clan technology variant of either).

My question if the original publisher of Battletech had a huge problem with copyright by using other game systems etc artwork and were forced to change the original design of mech like the Wasp, Shadow Hawk and Warhammer among others, will we see any of these designs within MWO and if yes what artwork will they come from?

Also from what I have seen MWO looks awesome, I can’t wait to play. :(

CptBob.

#111 Nostradominus

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

It seems there are very few medium mech in the game? Can you give us a taste of others that "might" be included? Any chances we might see Enforcers or Wolverines?

Thanks in advance,

-Nostra

#112 HappySpawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...out THERE

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Will there be a maximum number of players allowed in a mercenary corporation? If so, what will that number be?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users