Bravo! Weapon Modules Update

46 replies to this topic

#1 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

This latest change to the weapon modules is nice... Keep up the good work, this system is really turning for the better.

#2 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Mmhmm... It's nice, just wish:

View PostYeonne Greene, on 24 August 2014 - 12:26 AM, said:

Yeah, the lack of drawbacks is...odd.

I always figured there should be three module types: increased range, increased damage, increased rate of fire. Assuming every weapon is naturally in the middle of all three, any improvement on one should have detrimental effects on the other two.

Increased range should beget a decrease in damage and rate of fire.
Increased damage should beget a decrease in range and rate of fire .
Increased rate of fire should beget a decrease in range and damage.

The total penalty should always be equal to the benefit, else the module becomes a "must have" rather than something to augment one's play-style For example, I would probably take the increased rate of fire on Light 'Mechs since they are fast enough to close the distance and up-front damage is not something I need to sustain a brawl. In my Mediums, I would likely take increased range because they are harassers first and foremost. In my heavies, I would probably take increased damage since those are generally alpha-striking machines that do most of their work well-under optimum range.

Of course, the weapon system to be effected also determines which module to use, so it's a little more complex than that. I would stuff greater damage onto the AC/10, but extended range onto the Medium Lasers for my K2. On the Arrow, I would go with a range increase on the Medium Pulse lasers and Machine guns, but a faster cycle on the Large Pulse.

#3 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

These are good changes. However...

I wish we could change all of our modules in the "select mech" screen instead of just consumables. Why someone changed that to just consumables makes no sense. Being able to swap all the modules in one place, without having to click through the damn mechlab was awesome. Why deliberately make the UI more of a PITA?

#4 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostcSand, on 26 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

I wish we could change all of our modules in the "select mech" screen instead of just consumables. Why someone changed that to just consumables makes no sense. Being able to swap all the modules in one place, without having to click through the damn mechlab was awesome. Why deliberately make the UI more of a PITA?

If I had to spread heresy and conjecture? Inconvenience will convince people to buy duplicates, and that's a "good" thing.

I don't know why people are crying for weapon modules that are a negative impact on their mechs. Do you really, truly, and absolutely want that? Seriously? You would use it? On all weight classes and all weapon types?

#5 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Really?

I find these changes (even with the drop in penalties) to be a poorly designed asleep at the wheel system.

I would of preferred something with a lot more thought and design rather than just 5-10% range for 2500 gxp and 3 million cbills.

#6 skorpionet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Was a great opportunity to support Role Warfare, now all weapon modules only increase range then all must have... but this is same as nobody have.

#7 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostFDJustin, on 26 August 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

I don't know why people are crying for weapon modules that are a negative impact on their mechs. Do you really, truly, and absolutely want that? Seriously? You would use it? On all weight classes and all weapon types?

Suppose some of us would prefer a system that forces people to make actual choices instead of simply installing the Modules as "must have" equipment.

For example, I would love a system that allowed me to have a faster cycling AC20 on my HBK-4G, even if that came at a cost of range. It'd be a lot more fun than everybody just having ER-AC20s.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

And to think UI 2.0 complaints were from the islandic vocal minority!

#9 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostFDJustin, on 26 August 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

This was supposed to be the "thinking man's shooter"...these new module changes do not promote that concept. Either you buy the modules or you're at a disadvantage (however slight that may be).

#10 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 August 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

This was supposed to be the "thinking man's shooter"...these new module changes do not promote that concept. Either you buy the modules or you're at a disadvantage (however slight that may be).

Which is the same policy that mech modules and consumables have had since their inception. I can understand the argument of wanting trade-offs, but why is it that virtually nobody asks for tradeoffs to mech modules and consumables? Kind of a contradiction...

#11 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

The thinking mans shooter, sure, fine. But you know what? If it's going to take me 30 hours of in game grind to get a module, it better well actually be worth a damn.

The weapon modules are lazily designed, yes. Presumidly it will be a thinking man's game once different variants come out per module. But they'll all be worth having, and won't hedge out different mechs due to inherit limitations.

+range for +heat? Good luck fitting that on a light and getting benefit out of it.

#12 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 August 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

I stopped thinking a while back. PGI, it's working as intended!

View PostCarrie Harder, on 26 August 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Which is the same policy that mech modules and consumables have had since their inception. I can understand the argument of wanting trade-offs, but why is it that virtually nobody asks for tradeoffs to mech modules and consumables? Kind of a contradiction...

I don't know. Back in Open Beta, you had a shameful list of useless modules (well, it wasn't so useless then) like Advanced Sensor Range that stacked with BAP and Capture Accelerator... which at least got some novel use.

Now... we still have the "wallhackarrfic" Seismic Sensor coupled with Target Deprivation... the combinations of which annoy many. Target Decay was available back in Open Beta and while not considered as OP (unless you were a missile boat or spotter, which was a mandatory addon), but people including PGI never really considered the long term ramifications of these things (kinda like when Coolant was added back then).

So... here we are now.

#13 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

It's a change that brings only positive effects. It's small, but it's all positive. There are no hooks, no bait, no catches, no funny penalty mechanics, it's not over-engineered, and it gives me something to spend c-bills and GXP on.

Because of all that, I must conclude that it's a good addition to the game. Now give me some fun ones that let my LBX shoot AC10 bullets, and disable the gauss charge mechanic.

#14 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 August 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

It's a change that brings only positive effects. It's small, but it's all positive. There are no hooks, no bait, no catches, no funny penalty mechanics, it's not over-engineered, and it gives me something to spend c-bills and GXP on.

Because of all that, I must conclude that it's a good addition to the game. Now give me some fun ones that let my LBX shoot AC10 bullets, and disable the gauss charge mechanic.

Well, if we're going that route, give me my LRMs that lock and don't require me to face my target once fired. Give SRMs their partial tracking ability they're supposed to have. Get rid of the stupid ECM implementation they've forced us to deal with forever.

And remove that goddamned ghost heat!

#15 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

they know why they nerfed range of most weapons...to give us this GXP and c-bills sink :)
Hey I am not agains them forcing us spend money...but they should do it in less P2Win oblivious way...

Paul mentioned in any devlog that he wants to keep fighting range in 600 meters...so here we are with cERLLasers with over 1k effective and over 2k meters max range...yea I am waiting nerfbat on cRRLLasers again :lol:.

#16 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 26 August 2014 - 02:33 PM, said:

they know why they nerfed range of most weapons...to give us this GXP and c-bills sink :)
Hey I am not agains them forcing us spend money...but they should do it in less P2Win oblivious way...

Paul mentioned in any devlog that he wants to keep fighting range in 600 meters...so here we are with cERLLasers with over 1k effective and over 2k meters max range...yea I am waiting nerfbat on cRRLLasers again :lol:.

You should all know by now that nothing is ever truly removed. It's simply sold back as pretend DLC mods/P2Lobby/clan mechs/whatever.

See hill climb, shock absorbers, weapon range mods...

#17 and zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Revolutionary
  • The Revolutionary
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

I refer you to my signature...

#18 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

You should all know by now that nothing is ever truly removed. It's simply sold back as pretend DLC mods/P2Lobby/clan mechs/whatever.

Oh so next step will be removing all ammo and we will have to pay c-bills/MC for each shot...oh wait it was there be4(R&R)...better not to give them ideas :)

#19 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

Then where the hell is my CN9-AH?

I'm not sure if I want to know the answer you might come up with :)

#20 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostJack Avery, on 26 August 2014 - 02:45 PM, said:

Then where the hell is my CN9-AH?

I'm not sure if I want to know the answer you might come up with :)

It got converted to the money only Wang.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users