138 replies to this topic

#1 Catalinasgrace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 256 posts
  • LocationHudson, TX

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

I have seen a few of the threads with the discussions about map ideas and talking about the new map that is coming soonish...

My concern and plea if you will to PGI is once the main bulk of CW is completed or before if possible is I hope they turn into a map making factory to push out maps. I also hope they take into consideration the making larger maps to give a few of the mechs an actual purpose in game. The locust is a prime example of needing LARGE maps to scout. I know there are a few mechs that everyone is wanting and some in the works. However I for one would rather see new maps than mechs at the moment.

Something that I have not understood in my way of thinking I guess is we will be fighting for hundreds of planets or more and we have 10 maps to do it on... lol... So I certainly hope they start pumping the maps out and large ones to boot.

#2 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

each map takes 4-6 weeks and $250,000 minimum. Don't look for that to change

#3 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 September 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

each map takes 4-6 weeks months and $250,000 minimum. Don't look for that to change

FTFY
Really though
It comes to one simple thing
PGI can't sell maps
So they aren't a priority
by the end of this year, we'll have only had 2 maps.
Next year, we may get lucky and get 3.

Edited by Destructicus, 04 September 2014 - 04:16 PM.

#4 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

They could at least release some maps using only reused assets. Or they need to streamline the process. Because the game is getting way more stale.

#5 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

I'm just passing on Bryan's info regarding this. 4-6 weeks $250k min for each map

#6 Agelmar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

New maps are not the answer for a stale game. CW needs to give us a reason to fight on these maps. New modes and starting positions and and a reason to fight will do more than new maps.

Edited by Agelmar, 04 September 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#7 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

It costs them four hundred thousand dollars to develop this map for twelve seconds.

#8 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 04 September 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

They could at least release some maps using only reused assets. Or they need to streamline the process. Because the game is getting way more stale.

That requires doing work that doesn't yield immediate revenue
In other words, it's not the quickest way to make money.

#9 Theron Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

I wouldn't count on it either. They need a ton of more maps (generic type maps,city, capitol, factory, base and so on) for CW and that price to design a map is just ridiculous. How many employees do they have in the map making part to pay them $250,000 for 4 to 6 weeks worth of work? Why can the community turn out maps faster then they can free of charge using the same engine? I am expecting CW to be a "Half-assed" effort like everything this company does at a snails pace. Look at CW phase 1; no unit decals, custom paintjobs, can't even design a "Home base" map for those units to train on and so forth. Now that they've released the Clans I'm expecting so "Uprising" as soon as IS warriors realize they can't use their expensive Clan mechs for CW.

#10 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Nothing says "we don't know what we're doing" than spending $250,000 on maps that many consider inferior to MWLL's free maps.

#11 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 04 September 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

That requires doing work that doesn't yield immediate revenue
In other words, it's not the quickest way to make money.

They made so much money off the clans. What justification do they have for not producing content based on the profits they made?

#12 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

As is stands now, we may (if we're lucky) get a sum total of two whole maps this year... TWO!

My old MW4 mercs folder has over 185 user made maps in it. Many of these were awesome maps, and quite a few of them were approved for league play. Now that's the kind of variation we need for CW. I just don't buy the argument that user made maps would require too much work from PGI to make them ready for public consumption. Not trying to slight the devs, but there are numerous map maker out there who could do as good (or better) than anything PGI has done. And they have done it for free for the community! I think that is where the rub comes in. Even though they don't "sell" the maps, they do enhance their (for profit) product, and thus, anyone who contributed could (theoretically) come back and demand a "share" of any profit the company has made.

Thus, it appears we will probably start fighting our way across hundreds of planets in the galaxy on the same dozen maps... :unsure:

#13 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 04 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

They made so much money off the clans. What justification do they have for not producing content based on the profits they made?

"we want more money and we want it now"?

#14 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

I tried making maps for Cryengine 3 but at the size needed I have to get a monster of a PC to finish it. I was able to complete the base layer and a few models but at it's current state CE3 is just so much of a RAMemory/CPU/GPU hog that unless I'm able to find a way to break each map up and them merge it together, i'm stuck with PGIsland in my head.

doesnt help that most of the models in MWO are just so large in file size CE3 struggles to get get off the ground.

#15 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I believe that the whole "maps are $250,000 to make" thing is about as accurate as "CW will be out in 90 days".

As many in the community point out, PGI could have crowd sourced at least part of this production to the community, and I don't buy the argument about who owns the map (it's been easily dealt with by others in the past) and that it would take them just as long to vet community made maps as if they made them from scratch.

At the very least the community could come out with lots of fresh map designs, assets and ground work on new maps, saving the company time and (most likely) money.

What's holding up maps? It's that PGI doesn't want to divert assets to map creation because;
  • they make MONEY producing mechs for sale
  • They are working on CW, which now makes me think CW is going to be a cash intensive module for players.

#16 Seeker Kirov

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 04 September 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

which now makes me think CW is going to be a cash intensive module for players.

Yeah. Every time I think about that I get a little sad inside.

#17 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

sometimes i wonder if pgi is herp a derp. should holding a mapping contest with in game assets, we have quit a bit now. roll X amount of their favs onto testing server, then let us vote on which is best. bam community map num 1 winner gets a pgi pack hero mech+ some MC, or maybe a special camo on a mech.

#18 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostSandpit, on 04 September 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

I'm just passing on Bryan's info regarding this. 4-6 weeks $250k min for each map

Somehow I cannot believe this.

no, not only can I not believe this, it actually makes me mad.
*deep breaths*

Edited by ArchMage Sparrowhawk, 04 September 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#19 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostTezcatli, on 04 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

there justification was that new maps dont directly increase mc sales so new maps are not a priority.

View PostArchMage Sparrowhawk, on 04 September 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Somehow I cannot believe this.

they said it a year or so ago. lots of people had it quoted. its probably a load of bs like a lot of stuff they have said, but nobody outside of pgi/igp knows for sure if its true or not.

Edited by Hellcat420, 04 September 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#20 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

View PostHellcat420, on 04 September 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

there justification was that new maps dont directly increase mc sales so new maps are not a priority.

they said it a year or so ago. lots of people had it quoted. its probably a load of bs like a lot of stuff they have said, but nobody outside of pgi/igp knows for sure if its true or not.

Can somebody actually do the research and compare the cost of making maps in various games. Instead of spouting B.S themselves and making assumptions---Thank you.

I am going to make a thread after I gather sufficient info but it is difficult to find, If somebody already has links or info comparing different games and the cost of maps, can the kindly make a thread and link it.

I am not talking about a thread about where this was already discussed, I am talking about a thread that has Hard evidence and INFO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users