#auniversetoexplore

244 replies to this topic

#141 FrOdO

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:32 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 05 September 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

If a company did that with every dollar, nobody would ever be able to branch out with new projects or new ventures.

Why do they need to "branch out with new projects or new ventures" they haven't even finished what they've started. I would think a company like PGI would like a good track record before starting a new IP; A good foundation demonstrating their potential as a game maker. So far, they've mishandled funds, and put out a broken/unbalanced arena shooter that doesn't come close to product that was initially promised over a two year period.

#142 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 05 September 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

If a company did that with every dollar, nobody would ever be able to branch out with new projects or new ventures.

riot games look em up.
they are doing pretty well by finding "new" projects to invest into WITH IN the same game.

you make a valid point and i have nothing against companies branching off into other projects but how will this new project benefit mwo?

ideally, this new game would have to be so successful they can then divert money from that game back into this game but then we also run the risk of them just shutting down this game.....

#143 JackPoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

:) Doe they actualy think they can compete with RSI, I can't stop laughing at the thought.

#144 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

This could be tied into MW: O, so I'll keep my pitchfork and torches in the shed for now. If not, I fear PGI is about to get a hard lesson in customer relations and consumer confidence.

#145 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

MWO is the same game it was 1 year ago as far as im concerned. They changed slightly how weapons work and some such, added lots new pay for mechs, but other than that, the game is just deathmatch, often doesn't even feel like piloting mechs.
CW etc. is just mentioned on pages, doesn't feel like it exists in any state. I suspect in a year or so most people will have left this game and still no CW, even what's mentioned now doesn't sound like what people really waned it to be, just deathmatch on samemaps but you earna pin on a map saying you won plant X.

#146 TOGSolid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationJuneau, Alaska

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

The only reason MWO even still exists is because it's Mechwarrior. That's it. PGI has zero competition in this area. The space genre, however, has a number of quality games in production/about to come out/out already and PGI's reputation is complete garbage. Either PGI really does have delusions of grandeur or they've been handed another fan favorite IP of some sort to completely milk and crap on. Regardless, PGI diverting resources to start yet another failure of a game up rather than trying to fix MWO and deliver what they promised pretty much confirms that MWO is never going to get the respect it deserves and will always be a half-assed game. Thankfully any and all PR about this new game of PGI's is going to end up buried in comments about their disgusting track record.

View PostNARCoMAN, on 05 September 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

I totally believe you. #2013

Yeah, pretty much. Bryan and Russ are completely untrustworthy.

Edited by TOGSolid, 05 September 2014 - 11:53 PM.

#147 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostFrOdO, on 05 September 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

It will be billed as a Star Citizen / Elite Dangerous, with a huge universe to explore, online player interaction, and the ability to shape the game world through decisions that are made through the community.

We will get a few ships to start in an alpha phase to combat one another in a arena type mode and then, 2 years later we will still wonder where the rest of development has gone regarding all the other features as we still receive new ships (just the cockpit/can't walk around) and fix attempts for a broken arena shooter.

Fool me once, shame on you.... Fool me twice......no.....nope......

Posted Image

Well. That's depressing.

#148 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

I fear for the future of PGI.

Well not really.

I'm a strong believer of Karma and I do believe after all the lies and shenanigans this will be PGI's last venture.

Edited by Stonefalcon, 06 September 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#149 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

lol what a fiasco.
I honestly get more entertainment out of PGI's crazy antics and the forums than I do the actual game now days.

#150 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 06 September 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Those guys have their own things that they are doing really well.
We might share the space theme; We are not out to replicate the gameplay of other upcoming titles.

i dont think youre gonna be able to explain this one away niko....

i wanted to believe that pgi had turned the corner and mwo was on the upswing, but any good will you guys have earned over the last ~5 months is pretty much out the window.

i mean literally every time things look up you guys make a dumb announcement that makes everyone rage at you.

#151 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostLegoPirate, on 06 September 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

i dont think youre gonna be able to explain this one away niko....

Sadly, this is true. The MWO community doesn't listen to reason any more.

#152 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:49 AM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 06 September 2014 - 12:14 AM, said:

Those guys have their own things that they are doing really well.
We might share the space theme; We are not out to replicate the gameplay of other upcoming titles.

Then please elabortae what you are going to do that will differ from either of them? Already they will have space combat, interstellar travel, Elite Dangerous has voice recognition with your space ship, they have trade commerce.... What could you possibly offer that defines the genre?

Your best bet was to take MWO, battletech universe had space battles between Aero fighters, dropships, assault boats, frigates, etc. Just go read the Twilight of the Clans Saga book 2 where Victor Davions Bulldog Fleet catches a Clan fleet group off guard and a huge battle starts.

Elite Dangerous Bounty Hunting Contracts

Elite Dangerous Trading... Please note the guy can command his ship to do stuff like increase engines and tell the ship A.I. to do things.

Edited by Kyle Wright, 06 September 2014 - 12:52 AM.

#153 SixstringSamurai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 930 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Guys Are So Bad I'm Moving To The Moon

So you saw EVE, Star Citizen, etc.....and went since we basically ripped off WoT business model.....why not steal Star Conflict while were at it? Because we have such a line out the door just waiting to throw money at a new project.....when your not even finished with this one?

#154 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

So PGI took an established IP, with an established fan base, lore, history, a number of established game modes and at least 6 successful predecessors to draw inspiration from and have come up with half a game, after sucking at least $20m (my estimation) out of the fan base and spending 3 years working on it. MWO is fundamentally no different to what it was in closed beta.

Now you expect to build a game around a non-existent (unless proven otherwise) Universe which requires you to create everything from scratch in a market that already has several new games coming out in this genre. I nearly spat my drink all over the screen when I saw that.

I hope who ever you have found to back this venture has deep pockets and long arms, because I have a feeling you have no idea what you are getting into.

As for me I didn't buy into clans because I didn't trust you after the Phoenix pack and your promises around 3PV. Thanks for proving my suspicions about PGI correct. Even if your new project turns out through some miracle to be the best game ever I won't touch with a 10ft pole. Nor will I spend any more money on MWO. I was hoping for an IS reinforcement pack but with no assurance that that money would be spent on improving MWO, well that's not going to happen now.

I have a feeling MWO's death warrant was just signed.

#155 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:51 AM

So... We're expected to believe that PGI is going to make an "epic" game, when they haven't fully delivered features I paid for over a year ago? (I'm referring to the Phoenix pack)

Yeah, I'm not even going to "wait and see" anymore, I'm going to "abandon all hope, all ye who enter here". I'd say it was fun while it lasted, but in the last few months (IE: Clans), that doesn't even hold up.

#156 headclot

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

So, I have some questions for the folks over at PGI.

1. Were funds diverted from MWO to this new Project?
2. What engine are you using for this new project? Unreal 4? CryEngine?
3. Are you going to maintain or keep developing MWO in the light of this new project?
4. Will this be Free 2 Play or Pay to play (ala Guild Wars 2) with micro-transactions?

Many of us see this as a cash grab by you PGI/IGP.
You need to earn our trust back if we are going to fund you. If at all. Not to mention that there are several other space sims (Which I assume what this is) already out there. So what is stopping us from funding them instead of you.

Just some stuff to think about.

#157 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

World of Tanks was making money, and MWO came along to cash in on that business model. Now Star Citizen has made over 50 million from crowdfunding by selling founder-style preorders this should have been expected I suppose.

#158 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:00 AM

View Postheadclot, on 06 September 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

So, I have some questions for the folks over at PGI.

1. Were funds diverted from MWO to this new Project?
2. What engine are you using for this new project? Unreal 4? CryEngine?
3. Are you going to maintain or keep developing MWO in the light of this new project?
4. Will this be Free 2 Play or Pay to play (ala Guild Wars 2) with micro-transactions?

This should answer your questions 1 and 3.

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 September 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Concerns about where the money goes is absolutely founded, and the short answer is net MWO proceeds after taxes, royalties to Microsoft etc... - go directly into the development of MWO. The speed of development is largely relative to the amount of money coming in from sales. Those sales keep a team of around 35-40 people (we have external contractors) working full time on MWO development and live operations.

Our new game development is funded from a different source and we have been recruiting new talent exclusively for this project. We did move some staff around internally as needed to accommodate two productions, and their will be some shared resources (marketing, customer service, QA).

For 2 and 4 I suppose you need to wait for the reveal on the 9. september, like the rest of us.

Edited by Egomane, 06 September 2014 - 01:00 AM.

#159 Alymbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpace Australia

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:02 AM

With respect Niko, I think you may have made a very poor strategic move here. Given the current feeling on the MWO forums about game development, it may have been more tactful to not release a tease for this new game and instead wait until you have a more detailed write up. All that you have done in this thread is fuel the negativity in the forums due to a lack of information and pure speculation. It is certainly far from the ideal way to introduce a new game, especially if it is a new IP.

#160 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:05 AM

PGI: given that you aren't able to competently support 1 game, what makes you think you can support 2?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users