Is Vs Clans - With Science!

Balance

237 replies to this topic

#41 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Seriously. The rules are the rules. Nerfing and buffing is ******** and exacerbates existing problems and creates entirely new ones. All you do is create a new balance that isn't balanced. Its not red vs blue and never will be. Until you start thinking outside of the box and creating entirely new outside factors that effect the game play the way you want, youll never get balance...youll just get frustrated players, and a different "OP" mech or mechs. Its freaking amateur hour at PGI. Then be rich. And don't care. How does that not effect the other 450 players who aren't rich. So you end up shoveling more money into the game to play you clan mechs like theyre IS mechs. How is that bad?

That's still better than making Clans canonically OP. "Thinking outside the box" sounds nice and all but it is damn hard to do. Otherwise there would have been a lot of successful asymmetrical MP arena games already.

View PostFire and Salt, on 06 September 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

Jager falls into that same category of a lighter mech that performs well. Still doesn't refute what I said. The jager and the mad dog would both be more effective if they weighed 75 tons with the same hardpoints and hitboxes as long as the breakdown is done by weight class instead of exact tonnage.

The point is, they are lighter than most Heavies but perform just as good, if not better than them. Therefore, judging mechs by tonnage alone is mistaken. Hardpoints, hit-boxes, pod space...all need to be factored in, not just weight.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 September 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#42 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Not to mention if the fine is hefty enough...like on a per hit bases losing 40k cbills...youd need to drop several hundred dollars a week into the game to play like a jerk.

That's fine with me. If you want to do that more power to you.

But it would immediately stop 99.9% of all clan mechs from actin like IS mechs. It would immediately start clanners crying about how the IS is OP....but then you have the stats to show its not the case.

Why even have clans if theyre nothing but different visuals.

You see tons of asymmetrical successful games.

WAY more people play Planetside than MWO.

#43 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 06 September 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

Guess what. Mad Dog is at the lowest end of the Clan Heavy class with 60 tons, and I will bet my left nut that it will be better than many heavier IS mechs once it comes out. It has 28 tons of pod space!

People think A1 is annoying? Wait til they get a glimpse of Mad Dog A, bolstered by other omnipods.

It'll have 26 tons of pod space with near max armour, so more than the Summoner, but less than the Timby. 89 speed, questionable hitboxes (we'll have to see) and no JJs.

It won't be bad, most likely, but shouldn't be anything amazing either. 2 hardwired heatsinks are in the engine, at least, and there are still 9 slots in each arm, and 8 in each side torso. Legs are open to hide ammo, as well.

As always, nice work Kiiyor. I'm tempted to send in some of my pictures as well, although there is certainly some bias in there.
I should probably just start snapping them from this point and and just send those ones in, to avoid bias.

#44 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Counter strike ffs.

The two sides have different access to weapons. And weapons are totally not balanced against each other. It was probably one of the most successful games on the planet at the time.

World war two online had NO balance and thousands of players and went on for 14 years. (still going though its dead)

PGI will be gone in 5.

Amateur hour.

#45 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Numerous things they could have/could still do.

Take aiming out of the players hands, fix the movement speeds (go 60kph for 1000m and time it...speeds are wrong in this game, way slow) throw in some partial cover like trees that absorb fire, force some RP rules on people, stop letting people customize things, change engines, put the clans in stars not lances...let clanners bid, give them less return and xp if they use larger clan mechs, penalize a direwolf pilot who kills a locust

So many things.

#46 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Counter strike ffs.

The two sides have different access to weapons. And weapons are totally not balanced against each other. It was probably one of the most successful games on the planet at the time.

World war two online had NO balance and thousands of players and went on for 14 years. (still going though its dead)

PGI will be gone in 5.

Amateur hour.

Please don't send us to K town. Just stop.

#47 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:14 AM, said:

Seriously. The rules are the rules.

Nerfing and buffing is ******** and exacerbates existing problems and creates entirely new ones. All you do is create a new balance that isn't balanced. Its not red vs blue and never will be. Until you start thinking outside of the box and creating entirely new outside factors that effect the game play the way you want, youll never get balance...youll just get frustrated players, and a different "OP" mech or mechs.

Its freaking amateur hour at PGI.

Then be rich. And don't care. How does that not effect the other 450 players who aren't rich.

So you end up shoveling more money into the game to play you clan mechs like theyre IS mechs. How is that bad?

I don't need to spend money to get cbills. I earn them just by playing.

It enlarges the skill gap because good players already make enough cbills.

I can use both of my consumables every match, without hero 'Mechs or premium time, and I will still come out ahead because I am a good pilot.

Also, nerfing and buffing can cause problems, but it doesn't always. Yes, there will always be good 'mechs and bad 'mechs, but the gap doesn't need to be huge.

Hypothetically, lets say that we added 1 extra energy slot to each of the atlas's arms, except the D-DC. Would the D-DC still be the best atlas? Probably. Would the gap between it and the rest of the atlas' be smaller? Definitely. How is this a bad thing?

#48 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

In the quest for balance theyve run off half the player base, are now trying to attract new players. They banned over 1,000 people for cancelling their Pheonix stuff over the #saveMWO stuff...theyre treading water atm.

And theyre going to continue down the same path that brought them to this point in the first place?

Crazy.

Cbills are just a suggestion, the skys the limit for possibilities. But the last nail in this coffin is going to be continued messing with stats.

At some point people will realize to hold on to their cash, because what they buy, might get nerfed, and something else will be better. Its economics 101. Unsure market? Constant changes? Wait to spend.

This is one of the main drawbacks to F2P.

#49 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Take aiming out of the players hands

Go play tabletop if you want to aim with dice.

#50 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

But if youre being penalized, you wont have any more cbills very quickly. Making 0 from a match, and even cutting into your current stack of cbills.

If the penalty is high enough you could go from 50million to 0 real fast.

And what difference does it make if the DDC is the best or another one. There will always be a best. Its impossible to avoid. Let it be, as they say.

Find new game devices. Adding things is always better than messing with what you've got.

#51 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

So why should the entire rest of the player base care if youre a rich jerk off, and play like an *******?

Sorry, I play as Clan Star Adder.

We have an entire galaxy devoted to studying the underhanded tactics that the IS uses, such as using multiple 'mechs to attack the same target.

Also, we don't feel that zellbrigen should be extended to an opponent who doesn't return the favor.

#52 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

But if youre being penalized, you wont have any more cbills very quickly. Making 0 from a match, and even cutting into your current stack of cbills.

And what difference does it make if the DDC is the best or another one. There will always be a best. Its impossible to avoid. Let it be, as they say.

Find new game devices. Adding things is always better than messing with what you've got.

Posted Image

#53 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Won't stop me from doing it in league/competitive games, even if it costs 10 million a match.

#54 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

Totally play the table top, and megamek....where there are campaigns, planets change hands, you need techs and repair things, buy off a dynamic market.

Theres no reason this cant be that, but in first person.

This sucks. Its no better than MW2 ffs. Its actually worse (but bump mapping!!! specular!!!) at least those games didn't constantly change the stats of the mechs and weapons you buy. The community never fractures. There were never mass bans. It was just a game, you bought,enjoyed, moved on from.

PGI has done more harm to the IP than if Zipper still had it.

There is no clan star adder.

Youre just making up this crap like the Max Tech people did.

Its not canon. Its tripe. Its not even in our supposed timeline. Theyre bloody 500 light years away.

And then it doesn't stop you. Who cares?

Youll quickly be a pariah and no on will play with you. PGI wins because now you either have to spend money, or stop playing like that long enough to grind up cbills.

#55 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

Also in leagues...they could just ban you. Unsportsmanlike conduct is in the ToS brah.

Which brings up why we need observers and game managers. People will totally volunteer to do that, doesn't even cost anything.

#56 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

The community never fractures. There were never mass bans. It was just a game, you bought,enjoyed, moved on from.

You are delusional if you think that the only way the MW community could ever be fractured is because of PGI.

I worked on the NBT hardcore mod of MW4. (I did 3d modeling)

There was so much fracturing of the community, that it basically split into 2 totally separate games. Neither mod would cooperate with the the people working on the other mod. Lots of ****-talking, etc.

The problem with people like you, is that when you say "PGI needs to listen to the community" - what you actually mean is
"PGI needs to listen to me"

Well guess what - I think a lot of your ideas are complete crap - and I am part of the community.

BTW - Star adder is not the only clan that decided zellbrigen should not be extended to IS warriors who don't return the favor.

#57 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 06 September 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Also in leagues...they could just ban you. Unsportsmanlike conduct is in the ToS brah.

1.) Don't "brah" me.
2.) It's not unsportsman like. It is quite within RP if you are playing as CSA against an IS unit.

#58 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

Not to mention theres other ways of handling it. Add an honor system. You accumulate honor points by acting like a clanner. You lose them for not. If you lose enough, youre booted out of whatever clan youre in, and sent to the pariah clan, where you can be attacked by IS and Clan at will and no one has to follow those rules or lose any honor themselves fighting you, and other clanners who kill you, get a nice bonus.

The possibilities left to us in the lore are practically endless. Theres so many more legitimate ways to balance the clans other than making them identical to the IS other than models and color changes.

#59 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

Wow just found this topic. Its like, so amazing.

#60 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Any system that tries to use out of combat stuff (cbillls, honor points) to balance in combat stuff is bound to fail.

10v12. Yes please.

Honor/Cbill penalties - LOL

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users