• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 21 November 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostAsterios, on 08 September 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Funny to see prime as S-variant :)

I have the best luck with S-Variant--6 x CMPL and the 4 MGs really seem to work well together at closer ranges. I even tear up lights with this configuration. I find it very good to fly up into some good cover on the Mining Collective.

#22 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:50 AM

Inspite of the nefbat attack, not selling off my last S variant.
It does need some quirk love, and hopefully gets it. Still do "ok" in mine, but really, its not a weekend warrior or my go to mech to generate kills/damage. It remains a favorite.

That said, it would go a LONG, way giving ENDO, or legs that did or did not have jumpjets. I know the engines are set in stone, but pgi could allow endo, that would open up slots/weight
Special IS type quirks for heat reduction applied to ML's only or smalls maybe, but something.
Last couple of tournaments, the Nova placed dead last in performance stats.

#23 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, Nova needs some BIG buffs, because now it's just bad.No Endo...No FF... Locked JJs...HUGE hitboxes...

#24 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 02:09 AM

Which modules are best for 8 ERML +TC1 Nova?

I already have ER medium range and cooldown so now it's just general ones for remainig space.

#25 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:34 AM

View Postmichaelius, on 23 November 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

Which modules are best for 8 ERML +TC1 Nova?

I already have ER medium range and cooldown so now it's just general ones for remainig space.

Target Info Gathering would be very useful for targeting weak points faster. The second (if you have mastery) would probably come down to preference, but the big choices would be Radar Deprivation, Seismic Sensor, and maybe Advanced Zoom depending on your playstyle.

#26 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

NVA-B

I had some success with this thing... although it looks like that Config of the stormcrow with a UAC 20 in one arm and 6 medium lasers in another but more dumbed down.

#27 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

As much as I've ragged on the nova as being made of wet paper, it actually has a 3.5 kdr.

In my Prime a run 8ML instead of 12. Good for rapid fire chain-firing, firing 4 at a time or could Alpha all 8 lasers without overheating if you need to just unload on an enemy.

On my S, I run 4MG, 4MPL with Medium pulse range and cool-down modules. They are both pretty heat-efficient without going over board on the cooling, and manage to maintain close to max armor.

I've had the most success in the nova's playing next to high priority targets like Direwolves / Timberwolves. The nova can bring a lot of firepower to a fight when it's not being targeted. It's certainly not a mech I'd suggest going rambo in.

#28 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:17 AM

For modules I would recommend radar derp and seismic. seismicis very important to know who is close.

When they really add knowdown, ouch such a fat medium where you can not evens ee who is running next to you this is going to be bad.

I am not sure about quirks, they could buff CT HP, which is needed, but then arms are shot off that easily, that buffing the CT will not help taht much. And buffing arm hp will lead people to shoot down the Sidetorso. This mech is so amazignly huge and has so easy to hit geometry that ist really sad by that point of view.

It needs some acceleration and break quirks to get more nimble.
the SCR can on canyon partially even run the hills up due to the engine it has. which is really awkward. Especially with the low amount of thrust the JJ's actually have the nova feels like taking endless to do the same slope. I would gladly sacrifice all my JJ's for increased engine, but thats something we will never see.

but I guess we see some HP buffs and energy wepaon quirks. That may help but not solve the issues with the agility, which I blame as a big part of the mechs issues

#29 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

Since we recognize the Nova as a support mech, I've found firing off 6 ERSL takes very little heat and refreshes rather quickly.

My model has 4 ERML and when I use them more than twice in succession I find myself in heat trouble. I would go 12 ERSL in a second if they had some decent range.

I ended up not selling it, clan mechs are too expensive to get rid of.

#30 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:05 PM

Went back to an early experimental build, just two LPL's and 4 MG's in my S.
Does REAL well, its not what it was, or what it could be...once you wrap your helmet around that, its a fun mech.

and agreed, not going to sell...sooner or later, they'll fix it, and my baby will be rippin' again

#31 michaelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:03 PM

As as side note i discovered that we can only mount 16 weapons on a mech :(

So making 12 ERSL + 4MG + AMS is impossible.

#32 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

still run mine as such

Prime: 2 ERLL + 10SL
S: 12SL + TC4 + SL Range module + as many DHS as i can
B: 6 ML + 6 SL + as amny DHS as I can fit.

Still love 12SLs with both TG4 and range you get 231m out of them.

View Postmichaelius, on 30 November 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

As as side note i discovered that we can only mount 16 weapons on a mech :(

So making 12 ERSL + 4MG + AMS is impossible.

you should be able to do this no problem you just won't have that many extra DHSs

#33 CyborgDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationRight behind you o.o

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 30 November 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

you should be able to do this no problem you just won't have that many extra DHSs

No there's actually a hard restriction that doesn't allow more than 16 weapons on any mech at one time, it comes up with an error if you try. The AMS counts as a weapon, so having 12 lasers, 4 MGs and an AMS is impossible. It sucks.

#34 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

oh...i never knew that. tis silly then. I assume that is because of the display when in game that can't have enough stuff?

Edited by Bigbacon, 30 November 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#35 Devlin Rosse

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

I am having good results with a 6xERSL, 6xERML, 21xDHS, 320 armor Nova Prime.

6xERSL in LA = 30-point alpha @ ~18% heat
6xERML in RA = 42-point alpha @ ~60% heat

LA - RA - LA stagger volloy .5 seconds apart = 102 pinpoint damage @ ~90% heat

If you get in a situation where you can't disengage to cool off, you just fire the LA on cooldown - you can get 4-5 volleys out before you risk shutdown, then you just have to wait for your heat to drop to ~80% between volleys.

It's not really a bad mech, and it puts out a LOT of damage, you just have to learn fire discipline.

#36 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

View PostDevlin Rosse, on 21 December 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

I am having good results with a 6xERSL, 6xERML, 21xDHS, 320 armor Nova Prime.

6xERSL in LA = 30-point alpha @ ~18% heat
6xERML in RA = 42-point alpha @ ~60% heat

LA - RA - LA stagger volloy .5 seconds apart = 102 pinpoint damage @ ~90% heat

If you get in a situation where you can't disengage to cool off, you just fire the LA on cooldown - you can get 4-5 volleys out before you risk shutdown, then you just have to wait for your heat to drop to ~80% between volleys.

It's not really a bad mech, and it puts out a LOT of damage, you just have to learn fire discipline.

I tried that.
For me it works as support and can bring big damage.

Problem is the Boxes and low arms.

If PGI would just take the forearms, and mount them high on the shoulders like a Jaeger, Nova would be better off.

#37 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostInspectorG, on 21 December 2014 - 08:29 AM, said:

I tried that.
For me it works as support and can bring big damage.

Problem is the Boxes and low arms.

If PGI would just take the forearms, and mount them high on the shoulders like a Jaeger, Nova would be better off.

true, but it would look crappy and not be a nova anymore. The Nova is doomed with the design the BT universe gave it, yet its a quite cool looking mech, one of the best at all.

#38 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

NVA-Self-destruct

Because exploding yourself is fun, kids!

#39 Skave

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:42 AM

I'm loving the nova, and this one is my usual one.

Every day NOVA

use it with Radar deprivation, (because lrm)
Target info gathering (because target then shoot the cored part)
laser cooldown or range (chose your camp)

Weapon group 1
LRG laser for long range combat, shielding and heat management

weapon groupe 2
7 * med laser in alternate fire

weapon groupe 3
6 * med laser in your arm, in volley for fulguro punch (usually, shoot the rest just after, depending on heat)

It's working pretty well, as long as you don't forget your a medium with jump jet (don't look that DWF in the eye, bad thing wll happen)

#40 Zen Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

View PostCyborgDragon, on 06 September 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

Edit: Also be sure that on whichever config you build this, don't use the Prime arms as they penalise arm movement and energy cooldown.

Also, you shouldn't use the prime arms because they put the third laser on the bottom of the hand instead of the side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users