Well Done, Pgi

49 replies to this topic

#1 Deimir

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Just got robbed of 750 MC because I tried to unlock a camo spec. Silly me, I didn't know that the tab which says "unlock" actually means "pay ten times the normal amount for this camo spec to apply it to THREE MECHS."

Truly, ingenious business practices PGI.

Of course, looking it up afterwards, I find that it was announced back in February of 2013 in this buried command chair post (and also mentioned briefly in one of the 'new player' videos which still hasn't been updated for the new UI). Great job hiding it there instead of making it clear in the ingame UI, or else people wouldn't fall for it.

Again, I really am impressed with the level of sheer commitment to profit it took to pull this off.

#2 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostDeimir, on 07 September 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

Just got robbed of 750 MC because I tried to unlock a camo spec. Silly me, I didn't know that the tab which says "unlock" actually means "pay ten times the normal amount for this camo spec to apply it to THREE MECHS."

Of course, looking it up afterwards, I find that it was announced back in February of 2013 in this buried command chair post (and also mentioned briefly in one of the 'new player' videos which still hasn't been updated for the new UI). Great job hiding it there instead of making it clear in the ingame UI, or else people wouldn't fall for it.

Again, I really am impressed with the level of sheer commitment to profit it took to pull this off.

To be fair, unless something changed, it should show the mc cost in the "shopping cart" where it shows your total purchase price. So if you missed that, it's kind of on you (though I admit the UI is.. lackluster).

Related topic though, they massively over charge for both colors and patterns. I remember way back when Bethesda got absolutely skewered for trying to charge people 3 bucks for horse armor, now here we are and no one seems to mind PGI (and other companies) charging the same to make something a slightly different shade of blue or to use a pattern that doesn't even show up well on most mechs..

#3 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

If it makes you feel better I was "unlocking" camo skins for about 6 chassis of my mechs (4 on sale, 2 regular price) until somebody told me that one shots are permanent on that mech and not just for a single game. Seriously, I thought he was joking. Ever since than all my mechs have some camos, since I find them ridiculously cheap now.

How it works however (why they 10x are more expensive) is that if you change your one shot to something else you cannot get it back, but if you have it unlocked you can change camos on that chassis as many times as you want.

Edited by NeoCodex, 08 September 2014 - 12:59 AM.

#4 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

I feel your pain.

#5 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

I do agree that skins and colors are way overpriced. Does anyone have a good reason and why they do not have sales for such?

#6 Creovex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

Actually, put in a ticket with support. They may be able to help you out.

#7 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,950 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Did the same thing when I first bought my Victor (laughably 2 weeks before the huge nerf to it, so long buddy)
Unlocked the woodland camo, thinking for 750 it would unlock for all my mechs at that huge cost and not just the Victor.

#8 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:36 AM

Wait what? To be honest I don't have any pay camo specs outside those that came with certain bundled mechs, and largely because I don't understand how it works, but WHAT? You mean to tell me 750MC doesn't unlock it for all your mechs?

#9 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:39 AM

View PostWhy Run, on 08 September 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Wait what? To be honest I don't have any pay camo specs outside those that came with certain bundled mechs, and largely because I don't understand how it works, but WHAT? You mean to tell me 750MC doesn't unlock it for all your mechs?

No, it only unlocks it for that mech type. So all your hunchbacks, or all your timberwolves, or whatever you choose.

Its a complete ripoff unless you have the urge to change your mech skin multiple times a week.

Its a shame too, because if they made it work for ALL your mechs they could double or triple the price and I would still buy them. As it stands the single use skins are the way to go.

Edited by Roughneck45, 08 September 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#10 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

RIF... Reading Is Fundamantal.

#11 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:16 AM

I agree here, it at least needs to actually say that it's just for the chassis, not everything else. As it is, I'm tempted to call it misleading advertising, in a way. 'Unlockable' sounds like I 'unlock' it for everything.

#12 Dolph Hoskins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 499 posts
  • LocationThe Machine

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

While I am pretty sure the cart does show you your total before you commit to it, I will agree that a person shouldn't need to do research outside of the game in order to buy things as simple as camo or colors.

As many have shown it seems like common sense that if you pay real $$$ for a camo scheme that you would have it for all of your stuff. This is not the case.

#13 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostBongo TauKat Talasko, on 08 September 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

I do agree that skins and colors are way overpriced. Does anyone have a good reason and why they do not have sales for such?

They have sales for those all the time. Every time there is a mech sale, there's a good chance they have a paint, and camo sale to go with it.

#14 Deimir

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 07 September 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

To be fair, unless something changed, it should show the mc cost in the "shopping cart" where it shows your total purchase price. So if you missed that, it's kind of on you (though I admit the UI is.. lackluster).

No, I knew that I was paying 750 MC. I was fine with paying 750 MC for what I thought I was getting. The part that's not shown in the UI is that the Unlock function is limited to the variants of a single Mech chassis.

#15 Deimir

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostDaZur, on 08 September 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

RIF... Reading Is Fundamantal.

I would argue that proper spelling is as well. Do you honestly expect every player to read through 18+ months of Command Chair posts to find the ONE place buried on the second page that explains just how limited the camo spec Unlock button is?

#16 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:58 AM

If camo skins worked on every mech, I'd actually purchase them.

As it is, I don't bother buying camo.. so PGI loses money.

#17 AlexEss

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

well a leasson hard leaned i guess. You could always contact support and ask for a refund. Then buy the single use items for the mechs you want.them on.

Or keep this and know that you can always switch back to it even if you pick other camos in the future.

#18 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

I wouldn't say you got robbed. I'd say you didn't read. I havn't played the game since closed beta and I knew of this when I came back. In fact I thought it was fairly obvious? I have to admit I don't know where I got that from. Probably WoT taught me that.

#19 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN wayyyyyyyyyyyy backkkkkkkkkkk Innnnnnnnn Closedddddddddddd Betaaaaaaaaaaa

We tried to tell PGI to go 50% less on everything and 70% less on mechbays and bling items(Camo-in cockpit items-colors-etc.) as a standard practice but it was ignored as with 99% of all intelligent topics and post will be automatically flushed into the big KTOWN toilet.

Edited by PappySmurf, 08 September 2014 - 07:11 AM.

#20 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 08 September 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN wayyyyyyyyyyyy backkkkkkkkkkk Innnnnnnnn Closedddddddddddd Betaaaaaaaaaaa

...all intelligent topics and post will be automatically flushed into the big KTOWN toilet.

It was fairly normal and intelligent until you posted that, yeah.

This is not an argument about the cost of something here, or at least the OP wasn't\isn't saying that in their first post. It's about a mistake he made and his issue with the UI not being clear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users