Is It The End For Mechwarrior: Online, Or Finally A Much Needed Fresh Start?

543 replies to this topic

#521 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

View PostTombstoner, on 12 September 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

TTK's being to fast is a subective assesment derived from rate of armor depletion. So rate of fire, damage per shot, location of hit, number of shots. All of these have very strong efffects on TTK and player enjoyment. There is simply no easly solution other than a complet rework of all weapons such that they no longer resemble anything from TT. I delibratly left heat out because you should never be attacking your target head to head...other words never trade damage.

Buffing IS is inevatable. power creep in BT and MWO is inevatable. so shorter TTK's will become worse. cant touch numer of weapons or location of hits. so we get penalty heat. a system that can be gamed by jump sniping leting you cool down in relative safty(now nerfed) or sniping fall back to cool off.

So... the game need to completly depart lore. or it stays teh click point shoot twitch game its designed to be.

For some reason while reading your post I started thinking hardpoint sizes, as in another reasonable direction with which to exert some kind of control over effectiveness. I don't even think that's a proper response to your post, but, there it is, lol.

View PostCimarb, on 12 September 2014 - 08:25 AM, said:

While I agree with most of your post, there actually IS a conspiracy - just not a secret one - in this case. Roadbeer and several of his cronies have been very vocal about how they are going to do everything they can to bring PGI down via this new game, and have been spamming social channels to do so since it was announced.

Yeah, I could never understand how someone could be so committed to such a cause. I mean, I think you would have to have no job, school, or family, and to be completely hyperfocused on something as trivial as this game would have to indicate some kind of mental problem. I'm glad certain people are no longer ruining these forums, but I feel like MWO's dirty laundry is now being aired everywhere else. In some cases I feel it is kind of deserved, but in others I just don't know what I'd do if I were in PGI's shoes. I don't think their community problem can be fixed. And honestly, it appears to me that all such endeavors share the same fate these days, and a few wrong decisions (which often seem to be choosing between different piles of crap to eat) set the tone for eternity. E.g. the whole "they're on an island" thing.

I don't get this new interwebz.

#522 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostMaxx Blue, on 12 September 2014 - 08:36 AM, said:

My biggest issue is that the game really doesn't give me any incentive to play anything but my best mechs. I get some enjoyment from working through the skill tree and mastering new mechs, but other than that I really have no reason to go back and play with the vast majority of my stable of mechs. I was really hoping that CW would give me a reason to use particular mechs or builds, but it looks like that won't happen in Phase 2, and I'm not sure if that is ever really going to be the point of CW. I have my own ideas about how that could work, but at this point the only way to get any motivation or reason to play most of my mechs would be to run with third-party groups doing stuff in private matches. Basically, if MWO doesn't give me a reason to, I will never run my Cicada 3C again.

I absolutely agree, but in all honesty I think PGI has been more interested in trying to get players to buy into the next hyped mech. I really think they would be perfectly happy if everyone was running around in the latest and greatest meta "hero", even if that is a detestable fate for a Battletech game.

I think there are some cool ways they could have approached this. For one, this whole system of every mechwarrior here having stables of mechs and millions upon millions of c-bills makes my skin crawl. While I know being tied to an extremely limited number of mechs would probably hurt the game, it's kind of the game I want. I want to feel like I have a place in this BT universe. I want salvage to have real worth. A salvaged mediocre chassis has much more value when it's all you can get. I want to worry about money and where my next job is coming from. I want there to be value in being part of a unit or House or Clan, benefits like my own bay, use of company mechs, a salary for personal gain, etc. Obviously that's approaching an RPG of sorts, but it's the game we have never had (to my knowledge) that is truest to the core of BT, the lore.

For this game, I'd guess one way to bring relevance to underused chassis would of course be battle value, and possibly bring back repair and rearm with an expense modifier for said battle value. The idea there being the best mechs are hard to come by, and as such parts pricing is at a premium.

#523 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 11 September 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Map improvements are happening but at a trickle, UI 2.0 improvements are currently behind further additions to the UI to support CW phase 2.

Matthew,

Speaking of UI 2.0 improvements, are ya'll (that's a southern term to indicate "you" in the plural sense ;) ) aware of an issue in the skills lab while upgrading skills from one level to the next?

For example while upgrading from level 1 to level 2 using the box on the right side of the spit screen, the corresponding box on the left doesn't reflect the change. The box on the right will correctly offer Level 3 as the next available level, while the corresponding box in the left will still offer to upgrade to level 2. Now, if I then try to use the corresponding box on the left, the game will crash to desktop. This also occurs if switching from the box on the left to using the description box on the right. Same result, crash to desktop.

Just an FYI, in case you didn't know.

Jody

#524 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostValore, on 12 September 2014 - 08:32 AM, said:

Have they actively lied about anything PGI has done though?

PGI has done some embarrassingly bad things. The best way to handle it would be to acknowledge which portions of what their detractors are saying is true and address how they'll make things right. That in itself would earn a lot of kudos from people like me who have unflattering views of PGI, but don't outright hate them.

Instead, when they go the opposite way by pretending those fringe loonies are completely wrong, they simply anger people like me, who know for a fact PGI have screwed up, repeatedly, and rather than addressing these screwups, prefer to try to sweep them under a rug, while claiming conspiracy.

I totally get that and mostly agree with you, but like Xtrekker said, the extremist mentality of (some of) these people is bordering on lunacy. I used to agree with Roadbeer about a lot of things, and have had a roller coaster of a (for lack of a better online-only term) friendship with Sandpit and IQfish, and I still really hope both will come back as positive members of the community, but currently, I am having enough trouble dealing with their constant bluster and vitriol on Twitter and am GLAD they are banned from this forum. (How is that for a run-on sentence...)

PGI should own up to things they have legitimately done wrong, but I wonder if it will even matter at this point. On top of that, they are making some drastic communication changes lately and I welcome it wholeheartedly. Sometimes, you just have to let the past be the past and move on, regardless of who is at fault and who is not.

#525 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

View PostCimarb, on 12 September 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

PGI should own up to things they have legitimately done wrong, but I wonder if it will even matter at this point. On top of that, they are making some drastic communication changes lately and I welcome it wholeheartedly. Sometimes, you just have to let the past be the past and move on, regardless of who is at fault and who is not.

I personally think it would count for something. Right now no matter what they do, they come off as insincere because they seem to be taking one step forward, for example with that recent town hall meeting, then two steps back, with that reddit fiasco, followed by that absolutely embarrassing passive-aggressive apology Niko came up with, basically calling anyone who thought he was being unprofessional 'over sensitive'.

I'm all for reconciliation and forgiveness, but let's be honest here. Its PGI, an actual company, being pissy towards customers, even if they're annoying ones.

If one side needs to 'be the bigger man', then PGI needs to be the one that stops being childish and embarrassing about things first. If the guys like Roadbeer don't accept it, who cares? At least people like us wouldn't keep rolling our eyes at PGI thinking what a bunch of suckers they are to get pulled down to that level and engaging in that kind of childishness, while at the same time hypocritically trying to deny their faults and mistakes.

Edited by Valore, 12 September 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#526 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostValore, on 12 September 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

I personally think it would count for something. Right now no matter what they do, they come off as insincere because they seem to be taking one step forward, for example with that recent town hall meeting, then two steps back, with that reddit fiasco, followed by that absolutely embarrassing passive-aggressive apology Niko came up with, basically calling anyone who thought he was being unprofessional 'over sensitive'.

I'm all for reconciliation and forgiveness, but let's be honest here. Its PGI, an actual company, being pissy towards customers, even if they're annoying ones.

If one side needs to 'be the bigger man', then PGI needs to be the one that stops being childish and embarrassing about things first. If the guys like Roadbeer don't accept it, who cares? At least people like us wouldn't keep rolling our eyes at PGI thinking what a bunch of suckers they are to get pulled down to that level and engaging in that kind of childishness, while at the same time hypocritically trying to deny their faults and mistakes.

Apologies are great, but changing your behavior is the part that actually matters. I tell my kids that all the time. If you tell me "sorry", but continue the same behavior, your apology is worthless. If, on the other hand, you change your behavior, but never apologize for it, that is worth something meaningful.

It would be great if all parties involved apologized, shook hands, and made some beautiful kids together. More importantly, though, I want all parties involved to move forward and accomplish something meaningful.

#527 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSouth Autstralia

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostCimarb, on 12 September 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

[snip] PGI should own up to things they have legitimately done wrong, [snip] .
Well, they acknowledge UI 2 mechlab & store design is bad. That's a start.

#528 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

Kill a Dev Weekend: kudos for sense of humour, guys. (I wonder if anyone will win this: seen two devs in around 3500 games, but I'm a lowly PUGger).

#529 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

View PostXajorkith, on 13 September 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

Kill a Dev Weekend: kudos for sense of humour, guys. (I wonder if anyone will win this: seen two devs in around 3500 games, but I'm a lowly PUGger).

They're out there. 2 in my unit of 20 have scored dev kills in the first day.

#530 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostAppogee, on 13 September 2014 - 12:39 AM, said:

They're out there. 2 in my unit of 20 have scored dev kills in the first day.

In public matches?

#531 FREDtheDEAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

My particular shoulder chip is the failure to draw PUG players into private matches. The game balance between private and public matches is huge. Uniting public and private matches: they're moving in the other direction. :(

#532 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

View PostXajorkith, on 13 September 2014 - 03:51 AM, said:

In public matches?

Yep, both in solo drops.

#533 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostXajorkith, on 13 September 2014 - 12:32 AM, said:

yeah only saw one, once. On the side with a rather large premade vs my team of 2-4 mans.

#534 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Stop bumping. That would be appreciated.

Edited by Sarlic, 15 September 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#535 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

View PostSarlic, on 15 September 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Posted Image
indeed that dance died in the 70s!

#536 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 15 September 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

Posted Image
indeed that dance died in the 70s!

Strangely enough, though... that suit is back in style!

#537 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 15 September 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

:o You have GOT to be kidding?!?

#538 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostSarlic, on 15 September 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

Can't say I care. Will comment when and where I feel like it.

Don't like it? Don't click on it. Easy fix.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 15 September 2014 - 08:34 AM.

#539 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 September 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

Can't say I care. Will comment when and where I feel like it.

Too right, there's still more discussion to be had!

#540 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

View PostSI The Joker, on 15 September 2014 - 08:08 AM, said:

Yes, if you wear cheap suits. :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users