• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostHeffey, on 10 September 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

This is absolutely hillarious.

If only it could have been someone from the community banning Niko.
Just deserts in my opinion; you can't censor the whole Internet Niko quit trying.

#82 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 10 September 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

Just deserts in my opinion; you can't censor the whole Internet Niko quit trying.

lol

Why did we have to get the biggest tools in the gaming industry to make pc MechWarrior after waiting for so long.

That's just awful luck

#83 MikeSteel

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

View PostHeffey, on 10 September 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

lol. serves them right.

#84 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostWhite Panther, on 10 September 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

lol

Why did we have to get the biggest tools in the gaming industry to make pc MechWarrior after waiting for so long.

That's just awful luck

it is. then try to rip off SC after they have had a 2+ year head start on u. sounds silly to me

#85 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 10 September 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

The bad thing is it looks like Reddit Shadowbanned every one with a PGI_ user name (Karl, Fox, Jon...)

Niko must have really missed that whole Reddit policy against self Promotion.

Edited by TKSax, 10 September 2014 - 10:55 AM.

#86 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostTKSax, on 10 September 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

The bad thing is it looks like Reddit Shadowbanned every one with a PGI_ user name (Karl, Fox, Jon...)

Niko must have really missed that whole Reddit policy against self Promotion.

Karma. ....its an unstoppable force

Let's hope he doesn't discuss moderation!

Edited by DV McKenna, 10 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#87 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostMikeSteel, on 10 September 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

lol. serves them right.

Wow. Maybe they really did need help from IPG after all.

#88 MrWhite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

I thought about backing this with this package...

https://transversega...ore/item?what=5

Then I realized there is another game I already have over 500 bucks in and they have something similar...

https://robertsspace...ackages/Cutlass

Yeah I'll just buy my Cutlass from Chris Roberts, thank you. Transverse actually made me wanna give more money to CIG.

I'll just keep lurking here to see what happens with MWO... make world of mechs a good game PGI and I shall throw money at you, until then... NOPE.

Well... maybe if they made a GOLD ship... hue hue hue

Edited by MrWhite, 10 September 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#89 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

At this point, I'm just watching to see how much money PGI gets for doing literally nothing but making a website. I think at $5,000 or so, it's already paid for itself.

My thoughts on them even reaching the minimally viable $1 million are, given the rate of donations: Fat chance. If so, project tanks, PGI gets to keep the pledged money.

#90 Why Run

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 370 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

View Postwanderer, on 10 September 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

At this point, I'm just watching to see how much money PGI gets for doing literally nothing but making a website. I think at $5,000 or so, it's already paid for itself.

My thoughts on them even reaching the minimally viable $1 million are, given the rate of donations: Fat chance. If so, project tanks, PGI gets to keep the pledged money.

On the upside, maybe they could use it for MW:O?

#91 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostWhy Run, on 10 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

That is true...

#92 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Sooo.....something I thought was funny.

I did a search for "transverse" on youtube to see the reveal trailer.

If you filter the uploads by "this week"....the next two videos in line are the insides of a colon.

How fitting.

Edited by Alexandrix, 10 September 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#93 Horusv2

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Thats what you get when you rely on stuff like reddit.

#94 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostWhy Run, on 10 September 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

That's what I'm hoping. Transverse doesn't seem like it's the right game at the right time. I'm all for PGI expanding their game offerings, but not with this. Pick something smaller in scope. Find a really small studio and publish for them. Buy out someone's game concept that doesn't have the resources to make it work and expand on that. But Transverse is the wrong game, the wrong time, and the wrong studio.

#95 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:46 PM

Damn I agree with Heffay, PGI must have really jumped the shark for that to ever happen.

#96 Gut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNear Dallas, TX

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

So, the goals are to make a space-based shooter. (And it does look REALLY bad when they put these as features rather than basic gameplay elements that should be available on beta release)

Where does the RPG come into it?

Harvesting? Having a hangar? Being able to see your character?

#97 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 September 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

There may be a problem with this Pen and Paper game My daughter's boyfriend introduced me to. Its a space faring RPG that the players can transfer consciousness between synthetic bodies.

Familiar? :huh:

Eclipse phase stole a lot from stars without number (best sci-fi p&p ever IMO).

Hey, do you remember something called Macross/Robotech, before BT came out?

I'm hesitant on the no NPC part and the monetization model but the concept, environment and use of u4 is all good to me.

At the risk of blasphemy pretty much every ship from star citizen looks taken from X3 and the Cadius ship pack. Even the names; the new Aquila looks remarkably similar to the Aquilo from x3:xrm.

Probably has more to do with the nature of artistic design than anything else.

#98 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have three concerns with this new project :)

1) Open world sandbox space shooters can be a lot of fun ... BUT ... the market for these is about to get very crowded. We already have EVE Online which is a great game and very mature at this point in time. There are also Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous ... both of which are already a long way into development AND both of which have likely received a lot more crowdfunding than the new PGI effort may get ... both due to the nature of the IP in those projects (i.e. well known universes with a fan following) and the fact that the folks who will fund space sims may well already be tapped out.

2) PGI does not have a good reputation or track record for delivering on the hype. They have consistently failed to do so with MWO ... whether due to internal PGI issues or the influence of IGP. MWO is a great shooter that I really like ... but I don't think anyone can argue that PGI has consistently failed to deliver on much of the meta-game play in their original presentations and advertising. This may make it much more difficult for PGI to get the hype going in a believable way around this new game ... and may well impact their fund raising efforts. (I actually wonder if a completely new company might have a better chance to crowdfund this game concept ... but that may depend on how PGI's reputation is perceived in the wider gaming community).

3) Given the small development team at PGI ... it isn't clear to me how the development of a new project will not have a negative impact on MWO development. In my opinion, MWO is a long way from being "complete" ... and will likely require development resources for some time to come.

#99 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Bit of a crosspost from a reddit thread, but I figure I might as well voice my concerns here. In this thread I noticed that if the crowdfunding fails, PGI will use "more traditional funding models" to fund the game. I have to say that is a pretty dumb move. The total failure of the crowdfunding campaign should be a sign that no one wants this game.

You are already up against stiff competition in SC and Elite. PGI bit off way more than it could chew with its original promises of CW. I don't think this delay was part of a plan, I really believe that they just got way over their heads with things.Transverse, however, is something on a MASSIVE scale. Much, much bigger than MWO's, even with CW. If it takes you this long after launch to deliever the MWO experience you sold the founders on, imagine the mess this could turn into after a few especially nasty bumps in the road?

By the time this game is playable, you'll have two fairly polished competitors already out there in SC and Elite, and this appears to have no really unique hook to it. Where is it going to find its playerbase? How are those people possibly going to cover your costs? You don't have an existing IP with a fanbase that will foot the bill. There are NO prexisting Transverse fans, and the wing commander guys have already found a home with a spiritual successor. So who is going to play this over the other existing options, and how many are there?

I see Transverse as a potential disaster for PGI that could become such a money sink that it drags MWO down with it.So please, if any PGI guys are reading this, really think about if this is going to work, and what it could cost you if it doesn't. Do NOT throw good money after bad here.

Edited by Haydin, 10 September 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#100 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

View PostHaydin, on 10 September 2014 - 06:40 PM, said:

Bit of a crosspost from a reddit thread, but I figure I might as well voice my concerns here. In this thread I noticed that if the crowdfunding fails, PGI will use "more traditional funding models" to fund the game. I have to say that is a pretty dumb move. The total failure of the crowdfunding campaign should be a sign that no one wants this game.

Well that's just terribly wrong in both ways.

For those who doesn't know, two tactical shooters popped up on Kickstarter last year: Takedown: Red Sabre, a game being made by a team of Red Storm veterans, and Insurgency, the successor of one of the most successful HL2 mods. Takedown succeeded, and the end product was generally considered as one of the biggest Kickstarter scandal out there. Insurgency failed and subsequently moved on to Steam Greenlight, and now the game is out, great fun, and the devs are comfortable enough to provide several small DLCs for free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users