So, About Mechs Being Limited By Faction...

125 replies to this topic

#81 KraftySOT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

FASA published the 3025TRO with Hunchback with a Heavy Mechs Internal Structure... Golden yes but an Editing department that did more acid than I did!

Ill agree wth you there. They were indy before indy was trendy. They were a small group of guys who really loved their game. I mean the whole stealing Robotech stuff...they did that out of necessity at first, it arose out of them sitting around their garage with nothing to do and some beers and dope.

The rules evolved out of afternoon gaming sessions and the fact that they were all history and polisci majors.

#82 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

I'm guessing the Wolf Dragoons getting owned has traumatized you and you are blocking out the new material due to emotional trauma.

#83 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

What you think about the lore and what is actually lore are two different things. There was some lore before FASA folded, but it has been improved on greatly. We probably wouldn't even have MWO if the companies after FASA didn't pick up the ball. It would be officially dead and in the gutter.

Nope. Theyre the same thing. And because of the timeline, theres specific "eras".

Were in the end of FASA era. Until we hit 3053, were still in the lore created by FASA (and sadly to a small degree the novels)

Anything retroactively added by the other companies, needs to remain on the far side of the year 3053. Period.

Every other title handled it that way. So does this one. I dont see any MRMS do you?

#84 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Totally agree with you. Just not at once. Factories change lines all the time. However the longer you run a perticular line, the higher your 'gearing' bonus is and the more efficient youll be at it. So most mech factories, especially after the third succession war, just produced one main chassis, and a few models of that chassis. A few could pump out some lights while they also did a heavy or an assault, but that was generally circumstantial to a war. Not SOP.

Everyone seems to forget that the IS was a total and complete wreck after the 3SW. By the 4th they were barely able to mount attacks.

When the clans showed up...which is really when the lore starts to take a dive and FASA is getting out of it/dying...everything changes to try and bring in new board game players. Then the Mechwarrior 2 comes out, and everything is forever changed.

I don't forget it, I just disagree with you. The Ford Plant by my house Produced F-150s... All variants of that Truck. So if a Plant is listed as building Locusts(various) they build all those types In house. One line may be Idle due to demand but they could and likely did produce all of type.

#85 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

It is always interesting to know and discuss PGI's position at a current point in time. I tend not to get too hung about those positions though given our experience with the way things tend to turn out differently.

#86 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

I'm guessing the Wolf Dragoons getting owned has traumatized you and you are blocking out the new material due to emotional trauma.

The only emotional trauma was watching my childhood get *****. Ever see that Indiana Jones 4 episode of South Park?

It never happened.

Rotary autocannons, mrms, naval ppcs on mechs, it never happened. Protomechs. Battlearmor in IS hands. NEVER. HAPPENED.

#87 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 11 September 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

Nope. Theyre the same thing. And because of the timeline, theres specific "eras".

Were in the end of FASA era. Until we hit 3053, were still in the lore created by FASA (and sadly to a small degree the novels)

Anything retroactively added by the other companies, needs to remain on the far side of the year 3053. Period.

Every other title handled it that way. So does this one. I dont see any MRMS do you?

You do know most of the Staff for FanPro and all the rest are many of the same people who made the game in a garage.

#88 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well, reality disagrees with you.

The FedCom Civil War book is one of the best pieces of Lore someone can purchase and that is most certainly after FASA.

Edited by KOMMISSAR KITTY, 11 September 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#89 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:30 AM, said:

I don't forget it, I just disagree with you. The Ford Plant by my house Produced F-150s... All variants of that Truck. So if a Plant is listed as building Locusts(various) they build all those types In house. One line may be Idle due to demand but they could and likely did produce all of type.

Sure of Locusts. But they arent going to turn around and make a dozen Battlemasters. They wont even be making a Trebuchet. They probably dont make the weapons, since all those have their own company names, its assumed theyre build else where and shoved into the appropiate model.

The number of factories producing more than one chassis, say, a hunchback AND a trebuchet, are zero, until well after the clan invasion.

#90 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 11 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

The only emotional trauma was watching my childhood get *****. Ever see that Indiana Jones 4 episode of South Park?

It never happened.

Rotary autocannons, mrms, naval ppcs on mechs, it never happened. Protomechs. Battlearmor in IS hands. NEVER. HAPPENED.

You are right a Naval PPC was never on a Mech. It weighs more than the Mech itself! :lol:

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 11 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Well, reality disagrees with you.

The FedCom Civil War book is one of the best pieces of Lore someone can purchase and that is most certainly after FASA.

I have to disagree. Some of those books were good. Some of it was utter BS. So I don't hate those books, but I don't love em either... YMMV

#91 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

You do know most of the Staff for FanPro and all the rest are many of the same people who made the game in a garage.

Who had some competing ideas about the games direction.

The IP is so loved, people shove their nose into it and it evolves. Thats a good thing and a bad thing. The bad part is that it cant be all things to all people.

The "Eras" should really be kept pure. And the lore appropiate to that era. If we were in 3058. I wouldnt say a damn thing. If we were in 3025, id be raging hell that theres even an Atlas on the field...and what on earth is an ER laser?

Fact is, were somewhere in the transitional period between the IP changing hands. Theres some weirdness. Theres gameplay to think of. I think the list developed was pretty good and will lead to multiple metas instead of just one. Someone else mentioned that previously and I think thats spot on. Thats a good thing.

Just IS vs Clan is meh.

I dont see why every decision in this game is meh. From 3PV, to ghost heat, to clans that are clans in name only, its ridiculous. Its driving away "loyal customers"

#92 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostMott, on 11 September 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Well that won't be the case... since you'll have to pick and provide a drop deck of 4 mechs (one in each class) to be available for planetary assault/defense calls to action at any time.

Which brings up another question... what happens to pilots who are newer/cheaper and only have one or two mechs? Will they get priority in the Q to use their customized mechs or will they be forced to drop in trial mechs, hampering their team with a severe disadvantage?

I'm all for CW limiting our mech choices, even under the still-vague description Paul provided last night. Anything to infuse this property with some new life, new challenges and a true reason to drop besides e-peen.

I enjoy having obstacles to work around.

Just speculating, but I would imagine new recruits would be limited to PUG play until they complete their Cadet matches. That would give them enough to purchase a mech or 2.

#93 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 11 September 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Just speculating, but I would imagine new recruits would be limited to PUG play until they complete their Cadet matches. That would give them enough to purchase a mech or 2.

Sure but Paul specified (not that i'm really holding him to specifics spewed out in a rushed emergency response) the whole preset drop deck of FOUR mechs.

I know many for free players who are too cheap to buy even a single mech bay and as a result may not have enough mechs to fill said drop deck.

This is where things can get confusing.

Anyways, everything is all over everywhere at this point and we already know that PGI is throwing this thing together without a clear plan - f'n frightening if you ask me. But, hopefully they pull it off.

#94 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

You are right a Naval PPC was never on a Mech. It weighs more than the Mech itself! :lol:

I have to disagree. Some of those books were good. Some of it was utter BS. So I don't hate those books, but I don't love em either... YMMV

Ah thank god you missed the stupid Word of Blake mounts a naval PPC to a Mech crap.

#95 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:26 AM, said:

Actually you can. FASA did not do a great job of continuity. And much rewriting was required to expand the universe.

Yeah, but while not perfect (and nicely explained as COmstar attempts to obfuscate information) the depth of info in the old First Edition House books and such make all the later stuff look like fluff comics in comparison. Go pick up a 1st Ed House Book, then get a new version, and it's night and day the info found, bad editing, continuity (mostly some really

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

They did fix the oversight in successive printings. But yeah I had several Hunchbacks with Aromor equal to a Warhammer!

Well that wasn't hard... Warhammers stock only had the same 10 tons of armor that the HBK carried! :D
bad dates) and all.

#96 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostMott, on 11 September 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Sure but Paul specified (not that i'm really holding him to specifics spewed out in a rushed emergency response) the whole preset drop deck of FOUR mechs.

I know many for free players who are too cheap to buy even a single mech bay and as a result may not have enough mechs to fill said drop deck.

This is where things can get confusing.

Anyways, everything is all over everywhere at this point and we already know that PGI is throwing this thing together without a clear plan - f'n frightening if you ask me. But, hopefully they pull it off.

I assume they'll make drop deck limit the amount of mech bays all players have at start. 4.

#97 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostKraftySOT, on 11 September 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

Sure of Locusts. But they arent going to turn around and make a dozen Battlemasters. They wont even be making a Trebuchet. They probably dont make the weapons, since all those have their own company names, its assumed theyre build else where and shoved into the appropiate model.

The number of factories producing more than one chassis, say, a hunchback AND a trebuchet, are zero, until well after the clan invasion.

3049 Firestarter H & S Coventry
3050 Commando 2D & 5S Coventry
3050 Phoenix Hawk-3S & 1 Coventry
3048 Axeman-1N & 2N Defiance Furillo

Anyway the factories could produces more than one Model and would to maximize income.

View PostKraftySOT, on 11 September 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Ah thank god you missed the stupid Word of Blake mounts a naval PPC to a Mech crap.

Jihad Era? Naval PPCs weigh hundreds of tons! 1,400 for a LIGHT NPPC! Source?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 11 September 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#98 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 11 September 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

I assume they'll make drop deck limit the amount of mech bays all players have at start. 4.

I admit, i'm a pitbull for holding onto what folks LITERALLY SAID... and Paul LITERALLY said:

[color=#00FFFF]A drop deck is a selection of 4 ‘Mechs in the player’s inventory. Each of the 4 ‘Mechs must be one of each weight class (one light, one medium, one heavy, one assault). All 4 ‘Mechs must belong to the same technology core (IS or Clan). The Drop Deck is a means for the player to quickly choose their favorite ‘Mech of a specific weight class when in the defender queue outlined above.[/color]

Which is where my concern was going. I know folks start with 4 mech bays... but... cheapskates don't always fill them. Also, some most noobs are completely unaware of mastering mechs, so they'll buy a few mechs all willy-nilly. They may end up with 1 light and 3 heavies - not drop deck eligible. Also not elite-able (putting their team at the same disadvantage using trial mechs would).

People who are aware of mastering chassis may do the opposite and get 3 variants of one chassis and 1 other mech... but they'll still only have 2 weight classes (max) covered.

Anyways, i'm just over-analyzing. I know that. I'm sure PGI has all this completely accounted for and well designed into their game. :-D

#99 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

The Snark is strong in this one!

#100 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 11 September 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

3049 Firestarter H & S Coventry
3050 Commando 2D & 5S Coventry
3050 Phoenix Hawk-3S & 1 Coventry
3048 Axeman-1N & 2N Defiance Furillo

Anyway the factories could produces more than one Model and would to maximize income.

Jihad Era? Naval PPCs weigh hundreds of tons! 1,400 for a LIGHT NPPC! Source?

Wondering what one does for the 105 heat, too..... and does anyone else find 70 damage, for 105 ht, and 1400 tons....somewhat inefficient?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users