"piranha Games Did A Pretty Solid Job With Mechwarrior Online"

52 replies to this topic

#1 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

Or so the intro to this Pc gamer article claims: http://www.pcgamer.c...ven-sci-fi-mmo/

In it it briefly details the new project they are undertaking, a full fledged persistent world MMO it seems. In spite of the state this game is currently in, it appears they have decided to start up a second project that is even more ambitious and complicated.

I should point out that I don't hate this game at all. I find it enjoyable for what it is, but I also have spent almost no money on it (I've played since closed beta, however the overpriced nature of .. everything.. combined with my innate skepticism about incomplete titles kept me from investing to much). I think for me the saddest thing about the state of MWO, beyond the fact that it's the only representative of the the license. is that this game showed promise and many of the ideas they sold us back in beta seemed both feasible and fun. I'll continue to hold out hope for the game to reach some of it's potential until the writting is unavoidably written on the wall, but as a realist I'm not getting my hopes up.

Amusingly, or perhaps depressingly, the comment section for the PC Gamer Article is from what I can tell - universally negative in regards to MWO. I didn't see a single person defending the game or the company.

Edited by Quxudica, 10 September 2014 - 03:35 AM.

#2 kesuga7

• The Challenger
  • The Challenger
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:38 AM

i dont trust pc gamer anymore

#3 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 10 September 2014 - 03:35 AM, said:

...it appears they have decided to start up a second project that is even more ambitious and complicated.

it probably is!

since a game like that has to compete with "Star Citizen" and "Elite Dangerous"...i don´t give it a high chance of beeing really succesful :|

But MWO is a beast on it´s own....although some might say it´s World of Tank´ish, the Battletech Franchise is kinda "unique".

#4 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

View Postkesuga7, on 10 September 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

They should've tried playing the game for two years to make up an solid opinion before posting that kinda stuff :D
It's almost alright... since I've spend 2 years on it even though I try to not ask myself why am I still playing...

#5 Quxudica

• Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostEns, on 10 September 2014 - 03:40 AM, said:

it probably is!

since a game like that has to compete with "Star Citizen" and "Elite Dangerous"...i don´t give it a high chance of beeing really succesful :|

But MWO is a beast on it´s own....although some might say it´s World of Tank´ish, the Battletech Franchise is kinda "unique".

I'm not even concerned with it's competition. To me the glaring issue is the sheer scale of a project that involves a persistent online open world, that is a tremendous undertaking. Being in space makes it less demanding, it's less resource intensive to design a solar system than it is to design a terrestrial map since most of a solar system is empty space (no pun intended), but still. It's hard to imagine them pulling off a massive persistent open world game full of players when they seem to have trouble with a mere 24 people in one instanced map for ~15 minutes

View PostVoidcrafter, on 10 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

They should've tried playing the game for two years to make up an solid opinion before posting that kinda stuff :D
It's almost alright... since I've spend 2 years on it even though I try to not ask myself why am I still playing...

Funny thing is they did. They've had a few articles on the game over the years (I think there was even a cross-promotional skin for mechs from PCG way back when). They have articles detailing all those ideas of Community Warfare and what not with the claims it was just around the corner or planned for just after launch. I doubt the same person wrote them of course, but it's amusing none the less.

PCG did give Dragon Age 2 something like a 95.. so yeah, take the site with a pinch of salt.

Edited by Quxudica, 10 September 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#6 Jonny Taco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 706 posts
  • Locationan island

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 10 September 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

PCG did give Dragon Age 2 something like a 95.. so yeah, take the site with a pinch of salt.

To be fair, PC gamer has always kind of sucked. Their dragon age 2 review pushed them to a whole new level though... I wonder how much that review cost EA.

#7 Orion2011

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

OP IMHO if your getting a free ride then you have no cause to B**ch. It's like voting, if you don't vote then don't complain about who get elected.

Development of cool software takes lots of smart highly paid people.

#8 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

Alllllrrrrriight uhhhh.... under which stone or in which foxhole you had been sitting the last week?

And this is what companys like this do. They produce Games. I don't understand the outrage.
Many companys Producer more then one game at a time and nobody cares.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:34 AM

I don't trust any game magazine anymore

Fixed it for ya.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 September 2014 - 04:35 AM.

#10 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

11 matches tonight, everyone of them desynced, and was directly responsible for dying 5 times in game. to top that load of **** off, all games were losses because of suicidal morons running at the first red triangle they see to die early, or, on two occasions , temkillers leaving is 1 or 2 mechs down at the start of the match.

This game is in a terrible state now

#11 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostFatYak, on 10 September 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

11 matches tonight, everyone of them desynced, and was directly responsible for dying 5 times in game. to top that load of **** off, all games were losses because of suicidal morons running at the first red triangle they see to die early, or, on two occasions , temkillers leaving is 1 or 2 mechs down at the start of the match.

This game is in a terrible state now

I still don't think PGI is responsible for your Team mates;-)

#12 Wild Hamster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

That statement is OP and needs to be nerfed

#13 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Maybe we can see some evolution of Project2's persistent world applied to some future evolution of CW. I'd love to see a much more sandbox theater of war for CW.

#14 Bill Lumbar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

View PostOrion2011, on 10 September 2014 - 04:28 AM, said:

OP IMHO if your getting a free ride then you have no cause to B**ch. It's like voting, if you don't vote then don't complain about who get elected.

Development of cool software takes lots of smart highly paid people.

Don't you get it.... you who vote are part of the problem. I am more like Brewsters Million, "NONE OF THE ABOVE!" lol When all the party's are the same, Voting does nothing to change things. Until people wake up and see this fact, things will remain the same.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostQuxudica, on 10 September 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

DA2 had its faults, but I liked the game play, just not having to go to the same door /cave/ building 17 times to get 14 different events.

#16 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostBill Lumbar, on 10 September 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Don't you get it.... you who vote are part of the problem. I am more like Brewsters Million, "NONE OF THE ABOVE!" lol When all the party's are the same, Voting does nothing to change things. Until people wake up and see this fact, things will remain the same.

yea the voting system is messed up and popular vote doesn't do much. It would be as if we never voted in the first place.

#17 Xyroc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 855 posts
  • LocationFighting the Clan Invasion

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostSirius Drake, on 10 September 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

Alllllrrrrriight uhhhh.... under which stone or in which foxhole you had been sitting the last week?

And this is what companys like this do. They produce Games. I don't understand the outrage.
Many companys Producer more then one game at a time and nobody cares.

The difference is other companies are larger and have the man power to take on two projects.

They havent finished and then polished their first project but now are selling the idea of a even more complex and demanding project. Every knows this will mean they dont have much left they care to do for MWO as in major changes and/or additions. Who wouldnt be annoyed? We have been strung along for years and MWO is looking like it is going to be a mere shadow of what was talked about in closed / open beta.

Edited by Beliall, 10 September 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#18 SmithMPBT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

They'll just keep MWO running with little to no new map or CW development while putting out new mech packs till the game dies and they can transition their entire team to working on Trannieverse.

#19 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostBeliall, on 10 September 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

The difference is other companies are larger and have the man power to take on two projects.

They havent finished and then polished their first project but now are selling the idea of a even more complex and demanding project. Every knows this will mean they dont have much left they care to do for MWO as in major changes and/or additions.

For me it's not even that. I just can't fathom the idea of supporting a brand new PGI Pipe Dream after I witnessed how that went for the Founders of MWO. As much debate as there is over the topic, I do believe that Founders were "sold" one product, then given another.

Not to say that I'm not happy with MWO - it's practically the only thing I do online these days. It's just that I'm not completely satisfied with them as a company at the moment, definitely not satisfied enough to Pledge towards another project from them.

I'll be watching Transverse closely, with fingers crossed that they head down the right path with this one.

#20 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostSmithMPBT, on 10 September 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

They'll just keep MWO running with little to no new map or CW development while putting out new mech packs till the game dies and they can transition their entire team to working on Trannieverse.

So much F.A.I.L. I dont even know where to start.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users