529 replies to this topic

#261 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:19 PM

question 1: I want my Unit to be Clan loyalist, will clan loyalists be able to 2help" out any clan faction in defense/attack scenarios? Because this is initially why I wanted to be a non specific clan. Since our unit is too small to ever be able to conquer and hold a planet.

question 2:
Will we get a global chat please? 2 Minute response time for finding a 12 man group is kinda hard for not preset 12 people to find a group to attach.

You, knwo typically

lf2more for denfense XYZ, clan wolf.

then peopelcan reply here and get invited.

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 September 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#262 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 September 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Every drop against one of these "elite" groups you mentioned I was either outright shot by a friendly, no kidding i actually went down to nothing but friendly fire once and i wasnt the only one on our team that took friendly fire in the fire 3 seconds of the match and/or 2 to 4 players on my team did a total of 80 to 200 damage combined. If they do the faction wars right it will be difficult for them to synch drop.

I have no problem going against elite teams in a free drop, beat them a few times doing just that with the 4 man lances in the recent challenge.

But good point make synch dropping difficult in the faction wars please.

You can't really synch drop in the system as described. It's always a premade team of 12 vs either a premade 12, or a premade "whatever they could get" and enough pugs to fill 12 out.

#263 GumbyC2C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 392 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDeutchland

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

Since we are going to find ourselves against 12 man teams that undoubtedly enjoy the significant advantage of voice comms, are there plans for an in-game VOIP solution?

#264 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

View PostBlakeAteIt, on 10 September 2014 - 11:23 PM, said:

You can't really synch drop in the system as described. It's always a premade team of 12 vs either a premade 12, or a premade "whatever they could get" and enough pugs to fill 12 out.

There shouldnt be to much of a problem then. One thing though they might consider, to have a minimum standard for the wars. Nothing heavy but something so the guys that cant even pilot their mechs at all arnt thrown into this to soon.

Would give a newbie something to look forward to maybe etc.

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 September 2014 - 11:42 PM.

#265 PewPew2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:38 PM

I may reinstall this game soon.................Please deliver on your promises

#266 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 10 September 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

Since we are going to find ourselves against 12 man teams that undoubtedly enjoy the significant advantage of voice comms, are there plans for an in-game VOIP solution?

Only if those 12 man teams are around to defend the planets, you may find the 12 man teams end up being overstretched down a warfare "theatre" in which case you may end up against a collection of pugs who are trying to defend or smaller 2-10 man teams. It was stated that if there wasn't enough players from a defending team the remaining spaces are opened up to solo players and smaller teams that might fit the gap. Yes, it's inevitable at some point you will fight a 12 man team, but that is the risk you take when you hit that faction tab and decide to make a valid contribution to the faction warfare and yes you might get rolled by said 12 man team but remember when they go to bed, primetime opens up elsewhere in the world and they may lose that planet again if an opposing 12 man decides they want it. Therefore the battle lines are in flux all the time due to shifting timezones, it should make for some really interesting gameplay and also strategic plans to move down a specific "planetary corridor" for want of a better description to reach an objective. That all depends on how far the Devs will let you push before they halt your advance (especially if you have a team large enough to cover majority of primetime matches)

I probably wouldn't worry about the 12 man roflstomp thing until we 1) know more about what's coming up (post in two weeks by Paul) and 2) We actually get to see the whole mechanic in action

Once it all kicks off I'm sure tweaks will be made in places to maintain the fun factor for any sized team. (cross fingers)

EDIT: but you are right an in game voip solution for like faction players whilst dropping would be ideal, or at least a "command rose" of some description so you can quickly and accurately designate targets or a scout could outline a "movement corridor" on a specific map that would be safe to go down to reach a particular form up point before crossing the line of departure.

Edited by Blackfang, 10 September 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#267 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:42 PM

ok attacking a planet is a big thing. for me anyway. so would it be possible for the first 12 man team to have a sort, of very short intro [movie clip] say 4 seconds. and the winning team the same.with that said I don't like the idea of a points system to decide who wins a planet.it should be territory based.the first wave of attacks should be for say 1% of a planet . then 2 ,3 4 , and so on. and 3 days ,to cap a planet. I think is waaaay to short. oh and respwan NO NO NO, anyway that's just my 2 cents for now

Edited by Sudden, 10 September 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#268 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostSudden, on 10 September 2014 - 11:42 PM, said:

ok attacking a planet is a big thing. for me anyway. so would it be possible for the first 12 man team to have a sort, of very short intro [movie clip] say 4 seconds. and the winning team the same.with that said I don't like the idea of a points system to decide who wins a planet.it should be territory based.the first wave of attacks should be for say 1% of a planet . then 2 ,3 4 , and so on. and 3 days ,to cap a planet. I think is waaaay to short. oh and respwan NO NO NO, anyway that's just my 2 cents for now

That is a cool idea, intro cutscenes of say the attacking team dropping onto the planet. So the defenders see a Union class dropship falling from the sky to drop off it's company sized payload and the attacking team sees the drop from inside the dropship and the planet getting ever closer before hot dropping out of the ship.

then the winning team could see their mechs patrolling the captured/defended base (delete as appropriate).

Sweet idea.

EDIT: To be honest they're already halfway there, if you look back to the very first MWO teaser trailer of the Atlas being prepped to drop out of the leopard class dropship. They would of course need to remake it using the new mech game art as the battlemechs look nothing like that now lol. And of course if they were to use Leopard class dropships they'd need three of them to drop off an entire company. I guess it depends on how big a dropship the merc corps/faction team dropping planet side could afford really.

Edited by Blackfang, 10 September 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#269 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks Paul & Russ for the post and responses. Glad to finally see some kind of actual discussion taking place on forums between Devs and players beyond just that Karl Berg thread.

Would appreciate a couple of clarifications on the following if possible:-

"Indicate if the planet is contested or not (see below)" - dictated by Lore? How many planets are likely to be contested at any one time?

"For each planet, there is an attacking Faction Unit and a defending Faction Unit." - Can a contested planet be attacked multiple times by different units simultaneously or will attacks be restricted to a single instance only at any one time?

You have clearly stated that the term Faction at this time refers to IS and Clan. Could you clarify what is the definition of "Unit"?

Does this term refer to an actual registered unit i.e. members all sporting the same unit tag or any formed group (premade) comprising of people only from IS or Clan?

Since the defenders are highly likely, given the short response time, to comprise of a mixed bag of whoever is available at the relevant time, does this also mean that an attacking unit is NOT restricted to a 12 man group from a registered unit.

"Groups in community warfare will be hard limited to players in the same unit. This is to re-enforce faction gameplay so you will not see groups of mixed Kurita and Davion for example." - This appears to be inconsistent with the definition of Factions = IS or Clan. Could you please clarify this?

If this is the correct definition of "Unit", what would be the criteria that determines which House aligned players can respond or not, as the case may be to an attack?

Also, does this mean that the term "Unit" is broadly applied and does not refer to registered units i.e. players sporting the same unit tag and that the only requirement is that the defenders be aligned to a particular House / Clan?

Will registered units that are shown as aligned to "Merc Corps" or "Lone Wolf" be permitted to freely respond to ANY attack? If not, how are their alignments to be determined?

"Initial plan is to have initiation of an attack can only be done by a 12-man unit group." - refer to above query

"A drop deck is a selection of 4 ‘Mechs in the player’s inventory." - If I understand correctly, the Drop Dec is similar to what we had in UI 1.0 & 1.5 where we had 4 pre-selected / favourite mechs with a slight modification of weight class restrictions and a drop down button to switch mechs in a particular class. Is this correct?

"This new game mode and map is planned to be part of the map/game mode cycle of matches for Community Warfare." - If my understanding is correct, there are no respawns available at this time and the method by which the defenders will terminate an attack is to destroy all attackers or hold on till the timer runs out. What will be the duration for this?

If the attackers successfully eliminate all the defenders, this presumably constitutes a victory even if not all defensive structures are destroyed or will the attackers be required to cap the base (similar to Assault) before the timer runs out?

If no defenders are available or there are insufficient defenders to respond within a specified time frame, will the attackers be granted a victory? What is the time frame before victory is conceded? Will such uncontested victories contribute as much to the conquest of the planet as contested victories?

Looking forward to your responses and future posts

Edited by p4r4g0n, 11 September 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#270 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:02 AM

So what I gather, Only 12 man units can attack, so they are a well organised unit on teamspeak. However the defending units may be made of rag tag groups, ie a group of 8 and a group of 4, or 3 groups of 4??? I can't see that ending well, especially with the lack of communication in game.

#271 Aesis

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGrandma's basement

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

I can't read the spoiler over so many HTML codes.

#272 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostFelio, on 10 September 2014 - 10:12 PM, said:

This doesn't pass the smell test.

I read this as: "You are totally free to not do this awesome thing we know you've been expecting for a long time. If you choose to dump all those mechs, it's your fault you gave us all that money for them. Cheers!"

It is one part of the game. You are totaly free to play whatever frankenmech you want in the other parts of the game.

Russ did also state that they know salvage is a big part of previous MW games, and that they looking into it but not for the first season. They are fighting to get the show on the road, the more variables they have to include the longer it will take.

Finally lets be realistic here, this is the start of the invasion. The claims that "ooooh but I salvaged this Dire Wolf" does likewise not pass the smelling test. Even if you did salvage a shot up Dire Wolf you do not have the knowledge of how to make it work, nor do you have access to tech guys who can figure out how to get it running, rebuild the wreck and have it ready by monday morning.

(And yes, I have 100s of dollars worth of founder mechs, heroes, champions on the IS side. I never expected to use them in the CW once I signed on for the Clans. I personally can not honestly understand how anyone expected to run the opposing factions mechs in the CW...what would be the point to the CW if we were all the same?)

#273 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostTekadept, on 11 September 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

So what I gather, Only 12 man units can attack, so they are a well organised unit on teamspeak. However the defending units may be made of rag tag groups, ie a group of 8 and a group of 4, or 3 groups of 4??? I can't see that ending well, especially with the lack of communication in game.

my view. I don't see the need for in game voip. theres so many other methods that can be used. teamspeak is by far the best. real newbies can be invited to use ts with you.and lets face it if you have been playing more than 2 months you have good grasp of whats happeing in game join a group and talk away on ts.

#274 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:13 AM

sounds pretty solid so far paul, got a few questions tho

what happens if a player owns no mechs that are available to the planet/location/faction under attack ?

do mech restrictions (beyond clan/IS) apply to mercenaries who use their own private gear if so why ?

what will be the role of smaller units ? these units struggle to field 6 man groups, will there be options for them to have formal in game alliances with other small groups or larger groups?

is it possible for a Mercenary unit to dedicate them selfs to a specific faction ? will they receive rewards for doing so akin to the house players?

very excited, look forward to hearing / seeing more

im also very happy to see you having fun on the forums again, its been to long :D

#275 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:13 AM

View PostTekadept, on 11 September 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Yes, defense seems to be the hard mode of the CW. But this also depends on the map design and objectives. We already know there will be choke-points, possible turrets and such that favours the defending side. If the objectives are placed in such ways that the attacker have to expose his forces to reach it while the defenders can hang out in prepared positions and nail them in crossfire it might balance things.

#276 Aceramic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:14 AM

I remain skeptical that anything will actually happen, but... It actually sounds pretty decent, if it happens.

One question:

When will we get the benefits of the Loyalty Point bonuses we paid for over a year ago?

#277 Horusv2

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:16 AM

pls specify your understanding of peek hours.

will it be canadian time? europeans get shafted?

#278 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:24 AM

View PostHorusv2, on 11 September 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

pls specify your understanding of peek hours.

will it be canadian time? europeans get shafted?

there should be no peak time, attacks on planets should be happing right thru the day weather its 1 pilot or a 100. otherwise some groups will be shafted like you said

#279 Vagabond HT

• PipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 81 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostNaduk, on 11 September 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

do mech restrictions (beyond clan/IS) apply to mercenaries who use their own private gear if so why ?

Well since the clans don't have Mercenaries as they seem them as worst than even the Innersphere barbarian houses. And since the Mercs are in the empoy of one of the great houses they will have access to any of the mechs from the innersphere, I mean there is the blackmarket which had access to all tech just not clan tech untill later (3049 to 3052 = no clan tech on BM). House kurita did not use the clan tech they won from Walcot, untill later since they had them shipped back for research in to the tech.

The wolfs dragoons are not clan anymore they abandoned them after the last resupply in the early 3020s, when a khan told them that war is coming and you should teach the IS how to defend themselfs

#280 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

View PostSudden, on 11 September 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:

my view. I don't see the need for in game voip. theres so many other methods that can be used. teamspeak is by far the best. real newbies can be invited to use ts with you.and lets face it if you have been playing more than 2 months you have good grasp of whats happeing in game join a group and talk away on ts.

you miss my point completely, for actualy "UNITS" yes.. but they say multiple adhoc groups can be made up in the defence, they are not going to have the opportunity to use ts3 to coordinate against the 12man who are on comms.

Edited by Tekadept, 11 September 2014 - 12:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users