57 replies to this topic

#21 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

Update: 25th of September, 2014: Added MDD-A "Blue Dragon" to Clan Mechs.

Commentary on the new build (or the older ones) is always welcome (so long as it is within my requested guidelines)!

I do wonder why I make these guides when all they do is slowly sink into oblivion.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 09 October 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#22 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 11 September 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

(I personally spend more time on Smurfy, than I do playing the game, or on any other activity out there. Mech design is what I love, so I enjoy threads like this one, and seeing people come up with crazy builds.)

Same with me. What do you think of the Dire Wolf "Great White?" I think it has an interesting configuration. I'm itching to try it. (I don't have the or to test it though :unsure: ...).

Edited by DavidHurricane, 25 September 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#23 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 25 September 2014 - 11:12 AM, said:

Same with me. What do you think of the Dire Wolf "Great White?" I think it has an interesting configuration. I'm itching to try it. (I don't have the or to test it though :unsure: ...).

Variable threat mech.

It's a good template to work off of, and shows what the mech can do. If I was given that mech, this is what I would do/think of it.

The current set up means it can engage comfortably at any range from 0 to 1300. However, it can be problematic for newer players to handle, since it's very sub-optimal at those ranges. However, using the Gauss mainly at long range helps poke. The ERLL does deal damage there, but it shouldn't be used, the heat cost is not worth it.

At under 900 meters the ERLL, LRMs, and Gauss all line up for a good punch/suppression combo. Allowing the mech to suppress while moving forward. at under 600, or 500 meters the UACs should be singing, along with LRMs, and ER-MLs.

By this point the mech is generating a lot of heat, and actually building up heat. 350 meters is the best range for this mech. However, the ER-MLs have to be on chain fire. Possibly with 2 weapon groups.

The main draw back with this build is the number of weapon groups needed for it.

I like it, but I personally would drop the LL and switch it to an ER-ML, and add 3 more DHS, and up the leg armor to 65 for each leg. This would allow me to bring the engagement range to under 700 meters, so at long range I generate little to no heat (gauss only, with the occasional ER-ML shot), while allowing me to close in on my targets. LRMs generate very little heat, and help suppress targets while I'm moving forward. I wouldn't expect the LRM 10+5 to deal any real damage, but my target doesn't know the number of missiles headed their way.

Removing the ERLL reduces heat at long range, and removes on whole weapon group from the set up. I would probably remove the LRMs as well, another weapon group taken down. It reduces it's potential in help at extreme ranges, but gives more weight and slots to use to improve the other weapons. The other problem with the groups is that the UAC 10 and UAC5 would be better in one group, but sadly have to be in two different ones since the UAC 10 is in the arm, and can fire up, and down, while the UAC 5 can't.

Removing the LRMs, and replacing them with the UAC 10 solves that last problem. Following that up with changing the right arm with that of the A variant allows the arms to have lateral movement, better for aiming the lasers, and gauss independently from the UACs. It also allows me to put more DHS in there.

EDIT: This would be my final version.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 25 September 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#24 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 25 September 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

EDIT: This would be my final version.

That qualifies since it is an original build. Should I add it to the assault list?

#25 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 25 September 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

That qualifies since it is an original build. Should I add it to the assault list?

Your thread, your choice.

#26 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:17 AM

Update: 9th of October, 2014: Added WHK-B "Warhawk Avenger", WHK-B "Warhawk Brawler", and WHK-B "Warhawk Special" to Clan Mechs.

Commentary on the three new Warhawks is always welcome!

#27 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

Ok, I'll bite. Here's my comments on your Warhawk builds.

Avenger:
I would swap out the UAC/20 for a second Gauss rifle for better pinpoint damage.

Brawler:
I like this build and have used a similar one in the past. In my build, I dropped one LPL and added a MkIV targeting computer and 2 more heat sinks to run cooler and last longer in a brawl.

Special:
Good build, but I personally only used NARC if I'm a scout or a missile boat, so I'd ditch it and then upgrade the ERLL to an ERPPC.

I can't post links on this computer, but here are my 3 favorite Warhawk builds:
Prime: 4x ERLL and 3x SRM6+A
A: 2x LB20-X
B: 4x LRM14, 11 tons of ammo, 4x ERML, TAG, CAP

#28 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

I love the Mad Dog as an LRM boat, but your Blue Dog would be incapacitated by enemy ECM. It really needs a TAG and/or CAP. Max armor on the torsos would be nice, too, which requires 1 ton. To free up those 3 tons for equipment and armor, I would remove 2 tons of ammo and one of the ERML.

#29 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

EDIT: I just read your OP and saw that you don't want commentary about how your builds could be modified, so I guess I don't have anything else to offer. Not sure what other kind of feedback you could be looking for.

#30 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:06 AM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 09 October 2014 - 09:48 AM, said:

Ok, I'll bite. Here's my comments on your Warhawk builds.

Avenger:
I would swap out the UAC/20 for a second Gauss rifle for better pinpoint damage.

Brawler:
I like this build and have used a similar one in the past. In my build, I dropped one LPL and added a MkIV targeting computer and 2 more heat sinks to run cooler and last longer in a brawl.

Special:
Good build, but I personally only used NARC if I'm a scout or a missile boat, so I'd ditch it and then upgrade the ERLL to an ERPPC.

I can't post links on this computer, but here are my 3 favorite Warhawk builds:
Prime: 4x ERLL and 3x SRM6+A
A: 2x LB20-X
B: 4x LRM14, 11 tons of ammo, 4x ERML, TAG, CAP

Good ideas and suggestions, but these aren't major enough revisions to warrant a new build being added.

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 09 October 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

I love the Mad Dog as an LRM boat, but your Blue Dog would be incapacitated by enemy ECM. It really needs a TAG and/or CAP. Max armor on the torsos would be nice, too, which requires 1 ton. To free up those 3 tons for equipment and armor, I would remove 2 tons of ammo and one of the ERML.

This, however, had been added! You name is in the credits section on the main post (let me know if you want it removed).

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 09 October 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

EDIT: I just read your OP and saw that you don't want commentary about how your builds could be modified, so I guess I don't have anything else to offer. Not sure what other kind of feedback you could be looking for.

View PostDavidHurricane, on 11 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

NOTICE: Feedback and advice to new players are welcome. I meant, I don't want you "correcting" and re-posting the builds. If you would like to post an original build, feel free to (if you'd like it added to the list of builds, I will gladly add it!).

Your build (The Blue Dragon) is original enough to warrant being called a "new" build.

#31 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

Gotcha. If you'd like to know my actual Mad Dog LRM build, here it is:

6x LRM5
4x ERML
TAG (right arm)
CAP (cener torso)
16 heat sinks (one extra in each arm and torso)
10 tons of ammo (stored in legs and side torsos)
max armor

It's basically an LRM5 CPLT-A1 that can TAG and defend itself at close range. All it's missing from the classic A1 build is JJ and Artemis (which I don't think is needed for clan LRM's anyway). And I'll gladly take the 5 energy hardpoints instead of JJ.

EDIT: Here's a link to the Smurfy build. I'd prefer that you add this build to your list rather than the modification to your build that I mentioned previously.

MDD-A

Edited by Crotch RockIt, 09 October 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#32 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

I know you don't want commentary, but I'm going to suggest newer players (this is the New Player Help) work with builds that have less heat issues.

New players are also usually (a) on a budget and (B) perform better when models of one chassis have things in common. Consider the following for War Hawk - these are all simple, easy to put together, feel very similar in some ways but can be used to learn specific aspects of play without being too confusing. The War Hawk is far more forgiving than the DWF with it's mobilty, and is a great entry into assaults.

Prime - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b2456bbc0863b01
  • Basics: 4xLPL, a TC1 and plenty of heat sinks. You can keep up a steady stream of fire, have decent range and decent close-in punch.
  • Learning and playing: Work on side-based weaponry - left mouse for left arm, right mouse for right arm. Learn to shoot the one you need to peek cover. Learn when to chain fire vs. group fire. Consider mapping a left-group (chained), right-group (chained) and alpha. Learn heat management, from the safety of an 85-ton cockpit.
  • Bonus: Grab a cool shot module and see how it works. Work on listening to the heat warnings and either getting into cover to cool down, or using the coolshot if you MUST keep firing.
B - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef471a64c1b1769
  • Basics: Instead of symmetric load-out, we've got an assymetric one with the left side (essentially) a shield.
  • Learning and playing: Group the 3xLPL in chain-fire group, but also have a link-fire group if you can. Keep the streaks on another mouse key for dealing with pesky lights and for the added oomph. Consider both a streak-chain and streak-group button. Practice torso twisting ... shoot, turn right and shield with your left, then back and shoot some more. Practice side-cover shooting.
  • Bonus: Consider a UAV; it gives you some XP in-match and will help your locks on the streaks. When you're near a point where you're going to be brawling and aren't sure whats around that corner, pop the UAV. Get your locks from behind cover, move out and wub away while you fire the streaks simultaneously. UAVs launch straight up, and you're brawly ... don't try to run in somewhere and launch the UAV in a dangerous spot - use it for intel and cautiously ... brawl-prep.
A - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eb1ac9a2c23edc8
  • Basics: LRM mech with a few guns; Clan LRMs do damage below minimum range, though reduced, and can be reasonably dead-fired without a lock.
  • Learning and playing: This is one of the best platforms to learn non-boating LRMing for new players I think. The War Hawk is big, but it's engine makes it surprisingly nimble. Work on positioning - both for volley plan and closer-in LRMing. You've got the brawn to be able to LRM with line of sight - just don't forget the lessons you learned above.
  • Bonus: If you've not tried arti strikes yet, this is a good mech to use for the test drive. Use them initially to flush cover or suppress fire as you seek cover yourself. You're hanging back a bit, so you can use this mech to work on arti and air strike placement.

Anywho, just some advice I'd give folks.

#33 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostMacksheen, on 09 October 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

I know you don't want commentary,

Read the OP.

Good tips, by the way. Very related to the subject at hand and solid advice for newbies.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 09 October 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#34 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

Update: 9th of October, 2014 Added HBK-4G "Gaussback" to Medium Mechs

#35 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Nice thread. Relatively nice starter builds. I know my own frustrations when getting new mechs. If you Google a "STK-5M build" (just an example) you get threads and builds from 2012 or earily 2013. Nothing feels updated without some severe digging. Even using a place like mechspec's isn't much better. You feel you have to rely on votes from others to feel confident (from a new players standpoint) that the build may improve your gameplay and fit your style.

This is a nice guide. Basics, for the most part. Easy to manage, at least the ones I looked through.

10/10, I would visit again when I buy a new mech.

#36 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 10 October 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Nice thread. Relatively nice starter builds. I know my own frustrations when getting new mechs. If you Google a "STK-5M build" (just an example) you get threads and builds from 2012 or earily 2013. Nothing feels updated without some severe digging. Even using a place like mechspec's isn't much better. You feel you have to rely on votes from others to feel confident (from a new players standpoint) that the build may improve your gameplay and fit your style.

This is a nice guide. Basics, for the most part. Easy to manage, at least the ones I looked through.

You have this thread, and you can also go to mechspecs if you are seeking builds for a specific mech, as well.

This thread makes it convenient to have all these builds in one location. While you're on the forums.

#37 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostMoonlander, on 10 October 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

Thank you for your feedback! It is my goal to have new and original builds posted and to keep all of my builds in the loop!

#38 SteelKiller

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the efforts. This is an excellent resource. There's too much noise out there when looking for effective builds, so having a central suggestion thread like this is great help.

Edited by SteelKiller, 12 October 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#39 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

Update: 13th of October, 2014: Added SDR-A "LURMansi," "Shadow Spider," and "NARCsi" to Light Mechs.

#40 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Update: 15th of October, 2014: Added SDR-5D "A Little Helper" to Light Mechs. Added GRF-1S "Little Brother" and KTO-19 "Beaconer" to Medium Mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users