104 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm really tired of seeing mechs with 6 medium lasers having them all in a single chainfired group. When you fire your lasers like this, all you're doing is spreading damage ineffectually, instead of targeting the specific opponents that get you a kill or disable on an enemy mech.

You want a money shot, not laser bukakke.

#2 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Or better yet have multiple weapon groups..?

#3 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

it depends on tap. I have my Dire Wolf's 3 Large pulse Lasers on chainfire allways because it allows me to deliver the exact ammount of damage i want from them and helps me save heat.

Some times i just keep firing one laser at the tine because in specific situations creates stress on enemy players by having continuous damages regardless of damage output which will end in two outcomes: he will twist his torso for minutes XD or rush in rage alpha firing everyone.

Edited by strikebrch, 11 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#4 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

Sometimes I chainfire lasers if I'm about to overheat but still need to give a constant stream of damage to finish someone off. I sometimes also do this to keep the enemy's head down. When they see lasers around the corner, they usually stay put, giving my teammates time to get into position.

Edited by Greenjulius, 11 September 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#5 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:07 PM

It depends on the Mech. I only have 3 weapon buttons, so if I have 3 weapons groups, with 3+ lasers in one of them, I can't always count on being to alpha them. Besides, it only takes a split second to tap all of them if I need to.

#6 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 11 September 2014 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'm really tired of seeing mechs with 6 medium lasers having them all in a single chainfired group. When you fire your lasers like this, all you're doing is spreading damage ineffectually, instead of targeting the specific opponents that get you a kill or disable on an enemy mech.

But if I chain fire my LPLs I can release my trigger when the arm is blown off rather than waste 4 other shots of now wasted damage that I traded in for a massive spike in heat.

Chaining lasers of COURSE has it's drawbacks, but selective limb removal is a brilliant reason to chain em.

Edited by Pika, 11 September 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

better thing to PSA...do NOT, under any circumstance alpha your Nova-Prime trial mech...and hit override.

Even if you did just draw Terra Frikkin Therma for the 5th time in a row.

#8 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:12 PM

When I'm dancing with the heat devil, I'll chain fire my lasers and selectively tap them. It might spread the damage a bit, but the alternatives are a shut down and certain death or retiring from the battle to cool off.

At least I'll still be laying in some damage.

Edited by Piney, 11 September 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#9 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

alpha striking is for noobs who need to rely on the instant pinpoint convergence crutch.

#10 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

AHAH no... When i have a high amount of lasers i will have all of them on chain on one button and have the right ones on the right mouse button and the left one on the left buttons.

I have a great idea, lets have everyone alpha all the time like noobs, that will be fun.

Also if you cant aim, alpha striking wont be that much help.

Edited by DAYLEET, 11 September 2014 - 05:38 PM.

#11 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Lrn 2 heat management

#12 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:45 PM

Not only that the facetime needed to fire lasers in chainfire are a death sentence.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 11 September 2014 - 05:45 PM, said:

Not only that the facetime needed to fire lasers in chainfire are a death sentence.

really situational actually.

Use the Nova trial as an example.

You CAN'T fire the other 6 lasers in short order, after the first 1-2, without unpleasant consequences.

On the other hand, almost anything you have nailed with 1-2 of those punches, is close to losing wherever you hit if you can hold your aim/they don't twist it well.

At that time? It often is the perfect time to chainfire 2-3 shots into them, to finish them, without shutting yourself down.

There is a reason, 6 are on one button, 6 on another, and then i have each side also set to chainfire, also at hand. It's called shot management.

Relying entirely on one or the other is what gets you killed.

#14 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 September 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

You CAN'T fire the other 6 lasers in short order, after the first 1-2, without unpleasant consequences.

On the other hand, almost anything you have nailed with 1-2 of those punches, is close to losing wherever you hit if you can hold your aim/they don't twist it well.

At that time? It often is the perfect time to chainfire 2-3 shots into them, to finish them, without shutting yourself down.

There is a reason, 6 are on one button, 6 on another, and then i have each side also set to chainfire, also at hand. It's called shot management.

Pending you're playing the worst player ever who doesn't roll those alphas capping your own heat to remove have your weaponry.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 11 September 2014 - 05:55 PM, said:

Pending you're playing the worst player ever who doesn't roll those alphas capping your own heat to remove have your weaponry.

i forgot, we ain't all l33t like you, my bad

#16 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

Remember too if you do have it set to chain-fire, the faster you click the faster you'll shoot.

#17 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 September 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

i forgot, we ain't all l33t like you, my bad

It isn't that so much as exploiting a flaw in a heat handicapped build. I see more 12 smalls 4 MGs than 12 mediums for that reason on those novas. Besides getting one component with lasers is rare unless you are playing someone who doesn't understand damage mitigation.

#18 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 September 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

Exactly how i use my Nova Prime. It's still too hot though imo :unsure:

#19 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Chain firing my lasers is my last resort to avoid overheat. If I can't extract myself to cover. And have to remain in the fight. Then I plug away one laser at a time. If I'm about to get cored anyway. Then I alpha if I can.

But otherwise I don't see a reason to do so.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 11 September 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

It isn't that so much as exploiting a flaw in a heat handicapped build. I see more 12 smalls 4 MGs than 12 mediums for that reason on those novas. Besides getting one component with lasers is rare unless you are playing someone who doesn't understand damage mitigation.

or you run Mediums in ambush scenarios as much as possible.

Nova has HORRIBLE hitboxes, and mediocre mobility. Going toe to toe with dang near any build technique against most mechs is generally not recommended.

For me? I prefer to be able to hit out past 300 meters. You might also note I said Nova Trial. On cannot customize that.

View PostWolfways, on 11 September 2014 - 06:03 PM, said:

Exactly how i use my Nova Prime. It's still too hot though imo :unsure:

1 v1 you can usually do OK. Get in a brawl with multiples, and yeah.... might as well just do the damage you can before you go down.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users