#41 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 15 September 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

Atlas pilots think they're so smart trying to torso twist. Let's see how they'll use their "brawling skilzz" when the Hexa-Whale*

LOL, because totally everyone nowadays kills Atlases through legs. Also GL hitting anything, let alone legs when Atlas starts to run circles around your HexaTurret at point blank range.

#42 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

View Postpulupulu, on 14 September 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

and this is what direwolf say to other mechs...

Funny, but true. The Dire Wolf doesn't need to torso twist, because it almost certainly has superior firepower. An Atlas on the other hand, has to twist to spread damage between its sides and arms. An Atlas will have superior survivability compared to a Dire Wolf(Which tends to take damage in CT while Atlas tends to take damage in STs), but the Dire Wolf will simply strip the Atlas gradually and diminish its firepower.

The question is, what are the engagement conditions? If it's a head on engagement(not a brawl) at close-mid range then a well built Dire Wolf will simply dismantle an Atlas piece by piece. If it's a brawl where an Atlas can abuse the limited torso twist of the Dire Wolf(60 degrees), it's going to dismantle the Dire Wolf this time.

Though forcing a brawl with an Atlas is simply not an option most of the time, so a Dire Wolf will come ahead in those situations.

#43 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:43 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

LOL, because totally everyone nowadays kills Atlases through legs.

You are bad != everyone is bad.

Also GL hitting anything, let alone legs when Atlas starts to run circles around your HexaTurret at point blank range.

Enemy is bad != every DW pilot is bad.

Learn to play.

#44 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostModo44, on 15 September 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

Reserved for the reply I'll make when I get home...

Edit:
As you come down to personal skill comments due to the lack of sensible ones...
So I just happened to take a screenshot of a particular match two days ago...

Posted Image

PhoenixFire55 - 51:7 - Modo44. ggclose. L2P.

Please note that this is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and only serves as a public reply on yet another personal skill comment this particular person made.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 15 September 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#45 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 15 September 2014 - 03:31 AM, said:

Don't ask me why, but is seems this DW build has the most damage potential right now:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f4d072ed440e050
http://i.imgur.com/VuyM9ty.jpg

The premise is simple: the more UAC5 ammo you have, the better. Throw in some lasers, because UAC5s are TOO heat efficient.

hate those darn things, you simply can't see when the rounds hit you because of explosions and cockpit shake (but thats what i got 3pv for :ph34r: ), lrms are even worse though....

Edited by Just wanna play, 15 September 2014 - 04:00 AM.

#46 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:12 AM

LOL, because totally everyone nowadays kills Atlases through legs. Also GL hitting anything, let alone legs when Atlas starts to run circles around your HexaTurret at point blank range.

We're talking 1 vs 1 here.
If you are in a UAC5 Dire Wolf, and the Atlas torso twists shielding himself with an arm, there is no need to spend 102 damage in order do destroy his arm that contains one medium laser. Therefore you should go for his legs. If he looses his leg, he looses AC20/SRM ammo with a risk of explosion that will end the fight. He won't be able to use his superior (10 kph lol) speed if he looses his leg.

And if the Atlas does not torso twist:

Edited by Kmieciu, 15 September 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#47 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 15 September 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

We're talking 1 vs 1 here.
If you are in a UAC5 Dire Wolf, and the Atlas torso twists shielding himself with an arm, there is no need to spend 102 damage in order do destroy his arm that contains one medium laser. Therefore you should go for his legs. If he looses his leg, he looses AC20/SRM ammo with a risk of explosion that will end the fight. He won't be able to use his superior (10 kph lol) speed if he looses his leg.

And what if there is a tiny little hill or a building between you that prevents shooting legs? Or an elevation that doesn't allow you to aim that far up/down? Again, it all depends greatly on a situation.

We emulated various scenarios in 1 on 1 lobby to determine if ATL or DW is gonna be better for our competitive drops, and there was no certain answer. For most "offensive" scenarios ATL is way better. For most "defensive" ones, DW is.

#48 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 12 September 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

I am loathe to spend real money...can you build an atlas that can go toe to toe with a Daishi?

NOTHING can go toe to toe with a Whale. Hitting from the flanks, however...

#49 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:39 AM

No.

./thread

#50 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:53 AM

View PostModo44, on 15 September 2014 - 03:43 AM, said:

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Updated as promised...

#51 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Edit:
As you come down to personal skill comments due to the lack of sensible ones...
So I just happened to take a screenshot of a particular match two days ago...

Posted Image

PhoenixFire55 - 51:7 - Modo44. ggclose. L2P.

Please note that this is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and only serves as a public reply on yet another personal skill comment this particular person made.

EPEEEEEEEEEENNNNN :D :D :D

A: Low score rounds happen for all kinds of reasons including disconnects. Low damage round in a hunchback no less proves nothing.
B: Consistent high scoring rounds suggest skill. 51 score on a winning team presumably in a PUG is neither high nor suggestive.

Let's get off the E-peen and get back on topic. If you want to post a counter argument, post some videos of yourself in your Atlas taking on a Direwhale.

From what I've seen in game, if the Direwhale pilot is skilled and in a min/maxed build, the chances of your Atlas getting the chance to "run circles around him at point blank range" is close to nil. It's almost like those Iraqi army training videos where they have guys running under tanks to place explosives - a great plan, when the tank isn't shooting back along with its buddies.

The real threat from a Direwhale is not that it will walk into you at point blank. The threat is when it takes you apart from 300 m - 800 m away.

I've heard a similar argument form another poster regarding taking on Direwhales with Atlases. Oh yeah, I can take on 2 or 3, etc. Every time I've synched with the guy, poor guy hasn't managed to kill even 1. Guy might be great in a fight at point blank. Problem is he never gets the chance in a match at my ELO (EPEEEEEEN! :D :P).

These days if you show up in an Atlas against skilled opponents, you have to pretty much act as ECM support, close range body guard for a clan Assault or a Timby, or the shield in front when you stack up to assault a doorway or choke point. Problem is, being this:
Posted Image

doesn't make for a very fun game play experience most of the time.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 15 September 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#52 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Let's get off the E-peen and get back on topic. If you want to post a counter argument, post some videos of yourself in your Atlas taking on a Direwhale.

Read his comment and you'll understand exactly why I posted what I posted.

#53 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

Being a veteran Atlas pilot of the D model and having engaged multiple Dire Whales. The Atlas has very little in terms of advantages vs the Dire wolf. Initial DPS is one thing he can use, A massive blast alpha strike then turn too avoid or spread out the return fire. Even this is still tricky as a Direwolf can put out massive firepower during the torso twist phase. The DDC Atlas does have ECM even tho by Cannon it should not have it. It is probably the only reason too field the Atlas as oppose the Dire wolf unless if you are a die hard fan of the Mech like myself. I have solo Dire wolfs many times, not by running circles around them but using the torso twist and gunning for the side torsos. A half disarmed dire wolf is easier too take out then just going CT and still having all its guns rain down on you. Hitting the same location on the Direwolf is key blowing off its one torso removes half its firepower right away if not more. The Atlas D and K variants still have 3 /4 of there firepower even when a torso is missing since the center mounted energy points.

But if this was true battle tech all I would do is let the Dire wolf get close and simply punch the cockpit in with the fists.

#54 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Try this Atlas build: AS7-D-DC

Edited by Seraphic Law, 15 September 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#55 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 15 September 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

But if this was true battle tech all I would do is let the Dire wolf get close and simply punch the cockpit in with the fists.

YES!!! Feature request! :D

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Read his comment and you'll understand exactly why I posted what I posted.

I agree Modo's post could have been less abrasive, but I also think one screen shot of one game proves nothing about who is better or worse. Also, it's completely possible to hit specific components on another mech even if you are at a maneuverability advantage and even up close. The real problem with hitting legs is the angle is a little low.

Personally going for Atlases I usually go for a side torso first. Even if they are torso twisting, you can still time your shots to hit it.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 15 September 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#56 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

There was even a record of it where a Atlas tore its arm off then simply knocked it over and destroyed it. The biggest F you too the clans would of kept the arm as a trophy if I was that pilot lol.

#57 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

I did read his comment. No offense but what you suggested doesn't work against skilled Direwolf opponents.

So far, your word against mine. Proof? You've done test? Coz we did ...

#58 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostSeraphic Law, on 15 September 2014 - 09:43 AM, said:

Try this Atlas build: AS7-D-DC

That's DOA against a Space Whale.

#59 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

AS7-D-DC This would something more Ideal Yea it does not have ECM but it does now have more long range punch , speed, massive front armor and cooling. A worthy sacrifice for a nice gain. But then again I don't run the DDC since its ****** the Canon up but you can try this. Should allow you too Squash the Dire a rear.

Edited by Kh0rn, 15 September 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#60 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

So far, your word against mine. Proof? You've done test? Coz we did ...

If you did post a video of it next time.

What I've done is simply played lots of games with skilled opponents in the game, and watched what happened. If you think an Atlas can come even close to contributing to the team what a Space Whale can. :huh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users