#61 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

If you did post a video of it next time.

Wasn't recording.

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

What I've done is simply played lots of games with skilled opponents in the game, and watched what happened. If you think an Atlas can come even close to contributing to the team what a Space Whale can. :huh:

Contributing to the team is by the way an entirely different matter, and most of the times Atlas contribute more than any Whale due to ECM and ability to "tank"

#62 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb462c8da377e06
That's DOA against a Space Whale.

How so?

Edited by Seraphic Law, 15 September 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#63 Kh0rn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

Another attribute missing from Canon is the Atlas could extend its arms too fire over hills or on its sides making it more versatile then a Direwolf, But in this game the arms are locked too its sides forcing it too expose most of its body too fire on the targets. 90% of Atlas pilots I see go for the. " less weapons more speed build." What they don't get is the Atlas is not meant for speed it was a area denial assault unit. Meaning it was too bring massive firepower too bear against its enemy as it closes while being supported. Most people say the Atlas sucks because they using it in the complete opposite of how it was intended too be used.

#64 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

Seraphic Law, there's a few issues I see with the D-DC build you posted. I would humbly suggest the following changes:

1. Swap the Ferro armor for Endo steel. You'll 3 free tons just by making this swap. Even if you disregard the rest o my suggestions, you'll be able to use the weight savings to increase your engine from a 300 to a 315.
2 Your build is hot. Swap the larger lasers for mediums. You'll lose a little punch and range but gain a lot of endurance. Ideally, this build should stay under cover until you can close to <300m anyway. If you're trading large laser shots at 450 meters, you are probably taking more damage than you are dishing out.
3. Your build is slow. Swap the 300 engine for a 350 to increase your speed when running and torso twisting.
4. Drop 2 tons of armor from the arms and legs and add 2 more heat sinks to the engine slots for 14 total (optional).

I'm far from an expert Atlas pilot, but this is how I run mine. YMMV

#65 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 15 September 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Contributing to the team is by the way an entirely different matter, and most of the times Atlas contribute more than any Whale due to ECM and ability to "tank"

The ECM could be carried by a light. The Whale tanks and contributes massive offensive firepower at all ranges. If the whales on your team are doing less than your Atlases, you are doing it wrong!!!

#66 WintermuteOmega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'd say No.
Daishis can be real nasty DPS Monsters, especially those 4/6 AC builds can tear many holes over some distance. But as for tactics, i would try never to get Toe2toe with an daishi. The Atlas D-DC can sneak up and deliver good brawling firepower, and eventually win, but head on attacks on daishis will more often than not end up in favor of the Daishi

#67 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

I haven't read all the comments such but. I use only lights but i do know which one i fear the most. The Atlas has better torso twist range.
That makes it more capable when it's up close. The Dire Wolf has clan Streaks which is fearsome against lights.

But to be quite honest i fear that Atlas's torso twist more than brute firepower. It's much easier to stay out of a Dire Wolf's crosshairs up close.

There you have it. An honest unpartial opinion of someone who faces both mechs all the time.

#68 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

STD 300 is actually well for Atlas but then again it depends on the role your Atlas is performing. I use the D version so the STD 300 is perfect for me as now I can engage at multiple ranges which is how most Mechs in Cannon would of been constructed.

#69 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostSeraphic Law, on 15 September 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

How so?

Imagine trying to close in on this guy with your Atlas:

#70 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Imagine trying to close in on this guy with your Atlas:

In this situation I would not go for him but let him come for me. Don't care how long I have too sit and wait I will.

#71 Seraphic Law

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

How about now? AS7-D-DC

Still runs a bit hot, but I think the Ferro-Fibrous is a nice addition for better brawling.

Edited by Seraphic Law, 15 September 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#72 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostKh0rn, on 15 September 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

In this situation I would not go for him but let him come for me. Don't care how long I have too sit and wait I will.

Then you've already lost.

#73 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostSeraphic Law, on 15 September 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

How about now? AS7-D-DC

Still runs a bit hot, but I think the Ferro-Fibrous is a nice addition for better brawling.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of Ferro armor and Endo structure. Endo is a straight upgrade over Ferro. ALWAYS. The purpose of both of them is to save weight, at the cost of 14 crit spaces each. But Endo saves more weight than Ferro.

Note that Ferro does not increase your max armor or improve your armor itself. It only reduces the weight of the armor. In the same way, Endo reduces the weight of the internal structure. But Endo is more efficient at saving weight. Always.

To prove my point, try this experiment on your build in Smurfy. Switch your armor to Standard, and your Structure to Endo. Your Atlas will now weigh 97 tons instead of 100 (a 3 ton weight saving). Since you have 0 crit slots available, and your armor is already maxed, the only thing you can do with the free tonnage is to use a bigger engine. In this case, you can swap the 325 engine for a 335 (or a 340 if you're willing to reduce your armor by half a ton).

AS7-D-DC

Edit: I added the revised Smurfy build myself.

Edited by Crotch RockIt, 15 September 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#74 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

Here's me making a tiny little mistake against a Cheese Whale that can aim on Alpine. Now my Timby has 10 less armor on its ST than the Atlas, but I'm way faster, got a way better weapons load, and jump jets. Can you imagine if I'm up there on that mountain in an Atlas? I would have never been able to hold that position for that long, and then my team would have been screwed.

#75 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:15 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 15 September 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Here's me making a tiny little mistake against a Cheese Whale that can aim on Alpine. Now my Timby has 10 less armor on its ST than the Atlas, but I'm way faster, got a way better weapons load, and jump jets. Can you imagine if I'm up there on that mountain in an Atlas? I would have never been able to hold that position for that long, and then my team would have been screwed.

20 less armor, 10 less internal structure health then atlas you mean

#76 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

CAN AN ATLAS MATCH A DIREWOLF?

I've killed them in: ........well, ok, just about everything I own, but it seems I am really ripping up direwhales in my kitfox lately!

#77 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 15 September 2014 - 04:15 PM, said:

20 less armor, 10 less internal structure health then atlas you mean

Depends on how you load out. Bottom like is you get 2 properly converged shots from that dire wolf on your ST and you're in trouble either case.

#78 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

Nothing enrages dire wolf pilots more than a 100+kph 'mech with 24 SRMs on it.

2 Shots to the back and its over.

That being said, an atlas can out maneuver a dire wolf, because most atlas builds use an engine with a rating greater than 300, plus they have 2 arm actuators.... which may may not or matter, depending on what you have in there.

At point blank, its a fair fight, if the atlas is set up for brawling. And by point blank, I mean 50 meters, not 250. At distance, the dire wolf has a clear advantage in most cases (this could vary by build)

The atlas isn't really all that great at doing damage. There are several, lighter, clan assault mechs that can carry more firepower. It is quite good at absorbing damage and carrying around ECM. The atlas is a shield, not a sword.

Edited by Fire and Salt, 15 September 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#79 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostKhobai, on 12 September 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

If pilot skill is the same, an atlas is no match for a dire wolf.

Too many variables to boil it down so simply.

Edited by Demona, 15 September 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#80 Colonel Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 127 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:44 PM

I've mastered the DDC and I've accepted the fact that the Dire Wolf will always beat it in terms of firepower. This does not faze me because I enjoy the higher speed of the Atlas. This gives me more options on the battlefield as to a slower but more powerful mech. It just suits my playstyle. If I'm faced with a Dire Wolf man vs man, I'll chalk it to bad tactics on my part since I'm supposed to be working with support units. Even a single IS light mech plus an Atlas will be able to put things in my favor.

How do I deal with it? I come in close as my favorite DDC has 3 SRM 6s, 2 Large Lasers, and an AC20. An alpha strike to the CT or any damaged component is what I'll do. If I can't kill it, I'll try to leg or kill a torso and pray that my teammates kick his sorry ass.

The Clans are supposed to have "superior" mechs to the IS. This is the dynamic of the original game. This early phase of mixing factions is just a test :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users