Bring Back The Phoenix Pack So Is Purists Don't Have To Buy Clan Packs To Get A King Crab

356 replies to this topic

#181 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 16 September 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

yes, but people are takling about chipping in, spending a bunch of money for content that's already created. That's not a bad thing.

I don't know man, I'm all for continued funding and all. I'm not even totally against the packs (though the Gold one is still recockulous in my mind, but I play SC, so who am I to judge?)

Having said that, there are lots of variants out there of existing mechs, so it's not that great of a change to create some never before seen variants, that'll have minimal impact on the art depo and not step on the {Richard Cameron} of the Founders and Phoenix funders.

#182 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 September 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

Thing is, with the anniversary free stuff... anyone who supported the game does get stuff. If you played 100 matches since it's "launch", you get tons of c-bills, a free mechbay, and a standing item. If you ever bought MC, you get a free mech bay and a Centurion AH with 30% C-bill boost and unique paint job. If you bought into any preorder, you can a free mechbay, an Atlas S with 30% c-bill boost and unique paint scheme.

Only the unique King Crab, with mechbay, with unique color scheme and 30% c-bill boost is "unattainable" by some people currently, who are being specific on what faction of mechs they wish to get (which I can understand). In essence, everyone is getting something, but everyone is getting as much as they have contributed. The King Crab is the hardest one to get, and probably the one most worth while to get (being a new mech and all). However, it will be released for (cheaper than an $80 full package on it's own) MC, and then shortly after that for C-bills (free), just without the paint job, c-bill boost, free mechbay (you can get one half off soon for it) and "unique geometry".

In short, if you are just wanting the King Crab, it will be cheaper to just buy it when it comes out for MC.

Personally, I can see and understand each side's argument. One side wishes for those who invested to get the extra bonus for doing so (as unexpected as it is). Those who didn't/couldn't/against supporting the game at the time now want to get those limited purchase items to qualify for this "free boon" (that none of us founders/overlords/etc were even counting on to begin with).

I personally don't see a problem with releasing a "dumbed down" Phoenix pack at the full pack's price (what we paid for). I might not even mind a "founder like" package as a possibility. These are my personal opinions as, I feel, if PGI can make money off it, then I feel they should. But, I understand the feelings of "we blind leaped into these purchases in good faith and took a risk to support, they shouldn't be able to get everything we did without the risks we took". (Call me on the fence if you wish, but I wish for PGI to make well on the game so the game I'm enjoying can continue to be in operations for years to come.)
I know I missed the founder's packs because I wasn't even aware this game was in existence at that time, and joined much later. I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway, but I do wish I could have to help support Mechwarrior back then. Now, as you said, it's too late. (Which is part of the reason I bought the Phoenix pack. Clan packs I feel are too pricy, so I have stayed away from them, because I'm broke anyway...)

Oh I know there are rewards for just about everyone who has played the game the past little while which i think is a damn good show of good will on the part of PGI. What I am not a fan of is this jump on the bandwagon after the fact when they see a Mech they want getting released that they will have to wait for or had to shell out a good portion of hard earned money for previously and currently.

As I said there is no real way to come up with another pack right now because it will pull assets away from what is currently being done. Along with the fact that it would be yet another pack the top guys would most likely buy also, thus still creating this situation in the future.

View PostRoadbeer, on 16 September 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I don't know man, I'm all for continued funding and all. I'm not even totally against the packs (though the Gold one is still recockulous in my mind, but I play SC, so who am I to judge?)

Having said that, there are lots of variants out there of existing mechs, so it's not that great of a change to create some never before seen variants, that'll have minimal impact on the art depo and not step on the {Richard Cameron} of the Founders and Phoenix funders.

I am still not a fan of the Gold `Mech (stop looking at my forum icons damnit! :P ;)) I have mine as it was the only way to gift the Warhawk package to a Clanmate (this needs to be easier, much easier!). I havent even taken it out in battle because of all the ill will against the thing.

#183 Hades Trooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,461 posts
  • LocationWillow Tree, NSW

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 16 September 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Dear PGI, like many of your dedicated followers we've elected to create second accounts for the purpose of the upcoming clan wars. While the announcement of getting a free King Crab mech is very generous of you, unless we bought a top tier of the Founders/Phoenix pack eons ago, the only option IS purists have is to purchase clan mechs in order to get the King Crab onto our IS accounts.

That sucks.

On the other hand, the Phoenix variants of the Phoenix package were pretty spiffy, and I'd be willing to throw down on an Overlord package if it was made available again for the purpose of making sure only IS mechs along with the Crab reside in their proper place. I'd even be willing to forgo the Overlord forum badge and pre-order camo/paint so the early Phoenix adopters still feel like they got something special.

Please consider it,
Thank you

Well then you admitting to breaking the T&A as having a 2nd account isn't allowed

View PostZeusus, on 16 September 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Could always buy it for cbills. Obviously doesn't help if you want the 30% cbill bonus but you can still get it.

Err did you read the title or the OP?

buyign them for c0bills won't help towards getting a king crab.

so many people post for the sake of postsing without even realising what there responding too just makes my head boggle and want to avoid morons in forums

#184 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostHades Trooper, on 16 September 2014 - 09:46 PM, said:

want to avoid morons in forums

Ignore button works wonders ;)

#185 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:48 PM

hi!

i bought the firebrand (full price), phoenix guardian pack (didnt like/need another assault chassis at that moment), the boar's head (full prize), the dragon slayer (50% off, got nerfed a week later;)), the loup de guerre (full prize) and the kitfox clan package. all that is well worth the overlord pack and it comes close to the biggest clan pack i guess (didnt do the math - and bought some mc on sale to be honest - but would still be overlord phoenix pack for sure, or at least the biggest clan wave2 pack)...but i dont qualify for the king crab...that's sad...

if i don't get it...ok, i allready get the centurion and the atlas, at least they state they want to reward their most loyal supporters...but it shouldnt make a difference how someone spents money on this game.

#186 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

View PostKutfroat, on 16 September 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

hi!

i bought the firebrand (full price), phoenix guardian pack (didnt like/need another assault chassis at that moment), the boar's head (full prize), the dragon slayer (50% off, got nerfed a week later;)), the loup de guerre (full prize) and the kitfox clan package. all that is well worth the overlord pack and it comes close to the biggest clan pack i guess (didnt do the math - and bought some mc on sale to be honest - but would still be overlord phoenix pack for sure, or at least the biggest clan wave2 pack)...but i dont qualify for the king crab...that's sad...

if i don't get it...ok, i allready get the centurion and the atlas, at least they state they want to reward their most loyal supporters...but it shouldnt make a difference how someone spents money on this game.

*sigh*

I do applaud you on your purchases, and hope you are happy with the Kit Fox (I haven't used it enough to form an opinion of it yet), same for the other hero `Mechs, the King Crab doesn't seem to be about total put in, but total put in for the packages that have been put out. Crappy distinction for sure but the one they are going with.

We do not want to go down the slope of listing off who has purchased what and for how much. That is a topic like "how much do you make" while talking to co-workers, always touchy and never ends well.

#187 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 16 September 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

We do not want to go down the slope of listing off who has purchased what and for how much. That is a topic like "how much do you make" while talking to co-workers, always touchy and never ends well.

I would gladly start this pissing contest ( the who got what and for how much in the game )just to get some of these freebirth filth to STFU

oh oh, I purchased a pinto, and put a whole lot of money into it in the form of repairs and upgrades. Why won't the dealer give me the trade in value of a corvette? Some people just do not get it

Edited by CHH Badkarma, 16 September 2014 - 10:31 PM.

#188 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 16 September 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

*sigh*

I do applaud you on your purchases, and hope you are happy with the Kit Fox (I haven't used it enough to form an opinion of it yet), same for the other hero `Mechs, the King Crab doesn't seem to be about total put in, but total put in for the packages that have been put out. Crappy distinction for sure but the one they are going with.

Oh, can I play? I love showing off my MCpeen

#189 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 16 September 2014 - 10:31 PM, said:

Oh, can I play? I love showing off my MCpeen

Only if you wash it this time ;)

#190 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

*thinking of starting a "show off how much you supported MWO thread" Rated R for strong MCpeen

#191 Phex

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationGER

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 September 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Exactly no issue with that, but it's a very different thing.

No it isn`t,
its all about giving IS players the same option as Clan players.
Purchase a Pack and get the King Crab.

For me personaly its not about the Cing Crab, its about supporting PGI and geting some new Mechs.

Greetings Phex

#192 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

The only way PGI could "get away with this" is if they gave the previous Phoenix Pack purchasers free stuff... like all 7 of the variants (well, assuming you have Overlord, scaled by the purchase level bought) that were added to the Phoenix Mech series (make them Phoenix variants for all I care, with the bonuses and mechbays of course).

I'm not saying reopening the mech pack up is a good idea, but it would be a grab deal for some to be sure.

Edited by Deathlike, 16 September 2014 - 10:52 PM.

#193 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 16 September 2014 - 09:33 PM, said:

I admit the complaints about $500 gold mechs.... I wonder how many of those came from people who spend over $1000 on an Idris :P

I would say give Founders some huge CW facing reward. Every old school Gold who's still around deserves a huge thank-you. It's been a long haul to CW and it wouldn't have gotten started without them and we wouldn't have made it this far without them being here. That's awesome, it deserves recognition.

As to Phoenix packages.... well, look at my pretty red star. I got a stupidly good deal for all the stuff I bought with the Overlord package; tons of Premium Time, medallions, a slew of mechs and it was way cheaper than the clan packages. Admittedly that's because I got Thunderbolts, Battlemasters and Locusts :P Still, we got a lot of perks.

How about a scaled back Phoenix and Founders-style set of packages? The mechs but not the paints, medallions and other rewards? Essentially like the offer was never closed for Phoenix. As to Founders, make it just a Founders Mech package and give original Founders a big discount. Just the mechs, no other perks. Possibly a different paint job? Swap that blue for the basic green or something.

Packages sell well. It creates a sense of value and gives people a lot of content for the money. Packages of already released content is like printing free money and has few drawbacks aside from damaged egos. It's worth looking at.

#194 Kutfroat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostCHH Badkarma, on 16 September 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

I would gladly start this pissing contest ( the who got what and for how much in the game )just to get some of these freebirth filth to STFU

oh oh, I purchased a pinto, and put a whole lot of money into it in the form of repairs and upgrades. Why won't the dealer give me the trade in value of a corvette? Some people just do not get it

has nothing to do with e-peen...just wanted to make an example (and i´m sure i´m not the only one), that people spent more money on this game than needed to either buy full phoenix or the new clan wave2 mechs, and maybe there is a way to reward them too with the king crab.

if not...**** happens. as i said, i get the atlas and the centurion.

so what´s you´re f.ucking problem?

#195 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:05 AM

View PostSolomon Ward, on 16 September 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

I wonder if you know that the 120$ Man-O -War Package is enough to qualify.

Not quite true. Yes, it is enough to qualify, but you must have already purchased a Clan Invasion package, which makes the actual price of the Man-o-War Package higher (based on your initial investment).

#196 Dorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 September 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

Not a bad idea. I second this for those wanting and willing.

Am wanting and willing also. MWO, I am waiting to give you my money for this.

#197 Jack Avery

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSwimming in the lava pools of the Pug Zapper of Mordor, Planet Terra Derpa

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:39 AM

I have sympathy for those that are looking for an IS pack, and I do hope PGI can think of something that would qualify. I could maybe be convinced to open up the Phoenix packs again. Maybe.

But Founders? Only if it's an upgrade path for current Founders that didn't get Legendary. That one NEEDS to remain limited and not come back.

#198 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

Why not just wait till the KC comes out for cbills/MC? It's just a matter of time.

#199 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:46 AM

View PostPOWR, on 17 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Why not just wait till the KC comes out for cbills/MC? It's just a matter of time.

People want the "hero" version, i reckon.
Me, i'm fine with waiting... though all i ever do is wait... role warfare, community warfare, more functionality (ammo type switching, more weapons, more everything), Mechs for C-bills... (i won't pay until the game is in a good enough state to warrant paying for extra. Paid for my Founder status, and been regretting it ever since really)

#200 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostPOWR, on 17 September 2014 - 03:41 AM, said:

Yeah. Lost in all of this is that people are begging to spend $80 for the Phoenix Pack, which was composed of Lolcusts, Blunderbolts, Baddlemasters and (choir of angels) Shadow Hawks (and the SHD hero is not even the best variant, though it's certainly fine), all so they can get a single LE King Crab that they won't even be able to master for a month without spending additional MC. Apparently, 30% CB bonus and LE geometry is worth a lot more to some people than it is to me. I don't regret PP, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't buy it again, either. (Shrug). I still think it's a bad idea. If you say something is a one-time-only, it should stay that way.

Edited by Terciel1976, 17 September 2014 - 04:03 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users