Timberwolf Needs A Nerf

268 replies to this topic

#41 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:52 AM

Yes, it needs to be balanced. Probably with negative quirks hitting movement and heat dissipation.
Especially now when 12 v. 10 is out of the picture the Timberwolf needs the same treatment as the Victor got.

Edited by Evil Ed, 19 September 2014 - 02:56 AM.

#42 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:54 AM

Nope, OP is right. I got killed by a Timber Wolf. It needs to be nerfed. In fact, every mech that has ever killed me needs to be nerfed.

#43 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 19 September 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

Nope, OP is right. I got killed by a Timber Wolf. It needs to be nerfed. In fact, every mech that has ever killed me needs to be nerfed.

I feel for ya Phule... Here's a cookie!
Posted Image

Feel better now? :wub:

#44 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

Wow, that's a cookie :lol:

#45 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:09 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 September 2014 - 02:46 AM, said:

Well, but having a clantech mech at 75t with ES and FF is just a bit overkill.

because TW is still overkill still making nearly any other mech below it inferior, and even some assaults above him.

no it is not the nerfed victor can go head to head with about a %50 to win and its getting unnerfed and you wanna nerf the TW ?? and im talking about comp players not low elo pugs....

and yes we can compare the TW and the victor they are only 5 tons different

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 19 September 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#46 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

So, dear Khan Dark DeLaurel, it is obvious you know what a decade is, good .
Did you get the rest of it as well, or did your understanding end there, sir ?

Context, Khan, keep an eye on it, might turn out useful or help understanding, you know ;)

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 19 September 2014 - 03:12 AM.

#47 IsaAurinkoinen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

How dishonest it must be himself, not to see the problem. Everyone who has any know how to play this game find that they have to do something about TW. The fact that the balance TW does not mean that it is supposed to ruin completely.

Maybe little slower turning and torsotwist rate (to kill some of that insane agility) and fix hitboxes?

People seem to be afraid that their expensive toys are not from no longer being overwhelming. What bad is to want play balanced and fun game where more than one chassis is viable?

Edited by IsaAurinkoinen, 19 September 2014 - 03:15 AM.

#48 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 19 September 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Um...if I ate that....wow.....

I was just being a wiseass anyway. Look around the General forums...everything is "nerf this" and "nerf that" and it all boils down to "I play in the solo queue and something killed me...nerf it, nerf it now!"

Instead of fighting it all the time, I figured...might as well join in. Then we can rename the game "Pillowfight:Online" and be done with it.

As far as the OP's original post about the TW's....I'm guessing he's never played one.

It suffers from a SERIOUS lack of internal slots that severely limits what you can do with it....besides LRM boating or "Timbertart" builds. Those are fairly easy.

But, heaven forbid you want a decent energy weapon layout. You simply don't have enough slots to pack enough DHS to make it worthwhile.

My current build is 4 CERMLs/2 UAC5s with 4 tons of ammo and 5 additional DHS. I can fire the lasers twice before Betty is yelling at me. Third time is a shutdown.

Want to nerf something? Nerf the Dire Whale. It can pack 4 CERML/ 4 UAC5 and more ammo than it can use and just lay down fire with impunity. And that's a noob build.

Or, better yet...nerf the Atlas, Ilya, Misery, Dragon Slayer....all those IS mechs that can boat whatever they want and rip PUGs apart without overheating. Just saying.

Edited by Willard Phule, 19 September 2014 - 03:18 AM.

#49 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 September 2014 - 12:16 AM, said:

All I can say is yes, T-Wolf does need some mobility and hit-box nerfs/fixes, and they are choking the Heavy queue.
Takes forever to play my Cats when the Heavy queue is 45%. Searching for matches...........................................

When I played yesterday the Heavy queue was at 62%, LOL.

#50 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 19 September 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

Um...if I ate that....wow.....

I was just being a wiseass anyway. Look around the General forums...everything is "nerf this" and "nerf that" and it all boils down to "I play in the solo queue and something killed me...nerf it, nerf it now!"

Instead of fighting it all the time, I figured...might as well join in. Then we can rename the game "Pillowfight:Online" and be done with it.

As far as the OP's original post about the TW's....I'm guessing he's never played one.

It suffers from a SERIOUS lack of internal slots that severely limits what you can do with it....besides LRM boating or "Timbertart" builds. Those are fairly easy.

But, heaven forbid you want a decent energy weapon layout. You simply don't have enough slots to pack enough DHS to make it worthwhile.

My current build is 4 CERMLs/2 UAC5s with 4 tons of ammo and 5 additional DHS. I can fire the lasers twice before Betty is yelling at me. Third time is a shutdown.

Want to nerf something? Nerf the Dire Whale. It can pack 4 CERML/ 4 UAC5 and more ammo than it can use and just lay down fire with impunity. And that's a noob build.

Or, better yet...nerf the Atlas, Ilya, Misery, Dragon Slayer....all those IS mechs that can boat whatever they want and rip PUGs apart without overheating. Just saying.

yeah... I know I was FEEDING the Phuleishness. ;)

Good point there sir. :)

#51 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:26 AM

Can we stop turning mechs into crap' pls. Dont want another victim like victor.

#52 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 19 September 2014 - 03:09 AM, said:

no it is not the nerfed victor can go head to head with about a %50 to win and its getting unnerfed and you wanna nerf the TW ?? and im talking about comp players not low elo pugs....

and yes we can compare the TW and the victor they are only 5 tons different

No you can not, with upcoming CW and 3/3/3/3 rules you basically just told me that make clanners have a 3/3/0/6 thats quite a difference in the way it turns out.

#53 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

I think the real thing is. Clan tech is meant to be superior. That's well known. During CW, I don't think it should be a big deal because they're supposed to be more powerful than IS to some extent. In random queues tho, not premades...Maybe they could implement a scaling tech. that brings people around equal range of their class when doing solo pug (pickup group, for clarification... it gets used incorrectly more than anything I've ever seen on these forums) and when you're doing your omgl33tsauceimsogudlol premade groups, your mech goes back to normal.

Would help new players not get completely destroyed and maybe they wouldn't just say "screw this, i'm out" and never come back to the game. Think of it as player retention... or customer retention for that matter.

Edited by Moonlander, 19 September 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#54 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 September 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

No you can not, with upcoming CW and 3/3/3/3 rules you basically just told me that make clanners have a 3/3/0/6 thats quite a difference in the way it turns out.

what are you saying? that the 3D cant hold its own against the TW ? If so you are bad

Edited by Iron Riding Cowboy, 19 September 2014 - 03:37 AM.

#55 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 19 September 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

what are you saying? that the 3D cant hold its own against the TW ? If so you are bad

you started to compare the Victor and TW, and so kinda upgraded the TW to a assault standard. And with clanwars incoming we will get 3/3/3/3 meaning that suddenly clans by this logic are not 3/3/3/3, because instead they field 6 assaults. Thats the consequence of your logic used and thats why by the restriction of 3/3/3/3 comparing a assault and a heavy is not valid. Even if they just differ 5 tons.

that had never anything to do with who can kill what.

Edited by Lily from animove, 19 September 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#56 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostIron Riding Cowboy, on 19 September 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

CTF-3D is the best IS heavy. Yesterday during my best game in a group queue I scored 7 kills 5 assists 850+ damage. It can do one thing the TW cannot: 2xGauss (50 ammo) +4xML+1JJ and goes 71 kph. But let's not forget the current meta wolf goes 89 kph and has 58 damage laser alpha at 400 meters.
Gauss is the best weapon against clanners: you pop out from cover, deal 30 damage and go back before they can concentrate their beam on you. Problem is you are extremely fragile. The Gauss usually explodes when critted. When you loose your arm, the explosion often destroys the torso gauss and in turn you die.
In a 1vs1 fight I took down many incompetent TW pilots, but you simply cannot shield your XL engine against 58 damage alphas.

Against a competent TW pilot? No chance in hell. The moment they read your weapon loadout you are toast. And all the other CTF "brawling" loadouts are a joke compered to the TW.

We can argue all day long. There will come a day when PGI sees that Timber Wolf hurts their future mech sales and it will be taken down a notch.

Edited by Kmieciu, 19 September 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#57 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 19 September 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

The CT hitbox definitely seems borked.

This. Most of the comlaints/perceived imbalance with the Mad Cat are general to the Clan/IS tech balance and exacerbated by the Mad Cat being at the top end of the Heavy class, with a fair bit of pod space available.

But the way damage is soaked up and applied does need to be looked at. Mechwarriors should not feel fine with a paltry 1 or 2 points of back armor because your hit box registration seems to have forgotten your mech has a back unless you are directly (within 5 degrees angle of normal) to the back.

I definitely think the hitboxes need another going over with the Mad Cat, and that will address them specifically. I wouldn't be upset if PGI lost track of the JJ omnipod for this chassis as well.

Edited by Murphy7, 19 September 2014 - 03:54 AM.

#58 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 19 September 2014 - 02:58 AM, said:

snip cookie

wow wtf?! lol

View PostRad Hanzo, on 19 September 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

So, dear Khan Dark DeLaurel, it is obvious you know what a decade is, good .
Did you get the rest of it as well, or did your understanding end there, sir ?

Context, Khan, keep an eye on it, might turn out useful or help understanding, you know ;)

uh..yes decade is 10 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decade

#59 Iron Riding Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 19 September 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

you started to compare the Victor and TW, and so kinda upgraded the TW to a assault standard. And with clanwars incoming we will get 3/3/3/3 meaning that suddenly clans by this logic are not 3/3/3/3, because instead they field 6 assaults. Thats the consequence of your logic used and thats why by the restriction of 3/3/3/3 comparing a assault and a heavy is not valid. Even if they just differ 5 tons.

that had never anything to do with who can kill what.

and this is why the 3/3/3/3 system is flawed. The light - assault is just a way to categorise the mechs when the system its based on is a scaling system.

#60 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostDark DeLaurel, on 19 September 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

wow wtf?! lol

He's named after a character from Robert Asprin. I liked the books and Phule sounded playfully sarcastic, so I played along.

:angry: GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT???

:P

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users