To People Complaining About Bringing Back Phoenix/founder

34 replies to this topic

#1 Star Wolves Admin Account

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

(Edit: I agree brining back the founders packs are kind of silly, but why not at least the phoenix)

I understand you want your purchase to be special and all but do try to keep things in context.

A lot of people may honestly not have had the money at the time to make the purchase.

I bought the phoenix pack but I wouldn't mind if they made it available again if someone really wants the King Crab.

It just seems like a shame that someone wouldn't be able to get it just because they maybe didn't have the funds available at the time it was offered originally.

Edited by Blueduck, 20 September 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Part of the packs selling point was "this is a one of opportunity to get this pack, and will never be available again". ie get it why you can,

They would be going back on their word if they re-issued the pack for sale again.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostBlueduck, on 20 September 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

I understand you want your purchase to be special and all but do try to keep things in context.

A lot of people may honestly not have had the money at the time to make the purchase.

I bought the phoenix pack but I wouldn't mind if they made it available again if someone really wants the King Crab.

It just seems like a shame that someone wouldn't be able to get it just because they maybe didn't have the funds available at the time it was offered originally.

Honestly? Don't care if they bring back the Phoenix. (I get Eblean's point on it, just honestly don't give enough of a flip about the PHX to get upset. I like most of mine, but to me, it was just getting mechs early, lol)

To bring back the actual Founders Pack? That would be a direct insult to all of those who ponied up, sight unseen, to help FOUND the game. Simply put, if you didn't purchase one then, no matter how much you supported since, you are not a Founder.

I have no issues I suppose, if they were to allow existing Founders or Phoenix, for that matter, to Upgrade their packs, if they so desired.

Russ has already heard this, and is taking ideas for new IS Mech Packs for a reason. IDC if they have a Phoenix mkII Pack, a "Supporters" Pack, etc. Though it's pretty funny if people shell out that much just to get a "free" King Crab. That paint and all must be pretty important. I think I would just wait for the inevitable Hero version.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 20 September 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#4 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

May be not the package itself. Something similar to the bundles that they have. Include a few freebies and if you bundle the bundles, maybe you get something similar to the Phoenix package, but not exactly. In other words the phoenix (P) variants stay restricted to the people that purchased the different tiers of the phoenix offerings. This could be replicated for the other preorder programs.

#5 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

it kinda sucks because the only thing anyone really paid for was, early access and some stuff that was or is not usable and a badge and title, everything else everyone else gets, so much for "exclusive" i think from that small loss, selling to others wouldn't be that bad. especially if a some of the ones who bought the pack probably regret it and hate on the game.

#6 Shadow 101

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Its not about the mechs, its about their word and the fact it would be a lie if they re-issued them after stating they will never be available again. This would reflect on future packages they release with the "one off never to be sold again" tag. This is a sales pitch to temp you into owning something that may one day will be a fairly rare sight in-game just like the custom paint jobs and models that came with the clan package pre-orders.

Edited by Eblean, 20 September 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#7 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

OR... the people who want a King Crab but won't get the freebie, could you know... buy it with C-Bills or MC when it gets general release. I swear my palm is going to end up fused to my face after all these posts the last couple weeks.

#8 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I have no issues I suppose, if they were to allow existing Founders or Phoenix, for that matter, to Upgrade their packs, if they so desired.

And how is upgrading a pack by, say, $50 any different than buying a $50 pack? Your new $50 didn't support the founding of the game any more than someone who doesn't own a pack at all.

#9 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostXarian, on 20 September 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

And how is upgrading a pack by, say, $50 any different than buying a $50 pack? Your new $50 didn't support the founding of the game any more than someone who doesn't own a pack at all.

Pretty simple. Because they DID support the Founding of the game, for some amount. Which no one else did.

#10 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

If any other company sold something as limited production thn resold it again there would be a lawsuit. To get around this they have to change it up. Call it the elite phoenix pack. Add in few extra something.

#11 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yeah I don't get the moaning on either side. I wasn't around to buy a Founder's, and I never bought a Phoenix pack. I'll likely just buy the King Crab for Cbills. Does it really kill people not to get a "free" version? And on the other side, would any original purchasers truly feel offended if those packages were offered again? Why? Exclusivity over a little (F) or (P) label?

#12 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:48 AM

I don't mind if they change it if they must it just seems kind of petty to keep some people out.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 20 September 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

Yeah I don't get the moaning on either side. I wasn't around to buy a Founder's, and I never bought a Phoenix pack. I'll likely just buy the King Crab for Cbills. Does it really kill people not to get a "free" version? And on the other side, would any original purchasers truly feel offended if those packages were offered again? Why? Exclusivity over a little (F) or (P) label?

Yeah, I would be pretty offended over someone who did not help Found the game packing an (F) tag, actually.

Whether thru simple timing, available funds and such, we did something no one else should be able to claim. We crowdfunded the bloody game. Call it petty if you choose. But to re-sell Founders pack now, would not only be horribly incorrect use of the term, but an insult to all those who took a risk, sight unseen, to get this game of the ground.

#14 Drasc

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 September 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

...To bring back the actual Founders Pack? That would be a direct insult to all of those who ponied up, sight unseen, to help FOUND the game. Simply put, if you didn't purchase one then, no matter how much you supported since, you are not a Founder...

Yeah, I took a little risk supporting the game very early on, but I do not care if they bring back any of the early programs, even Founders. If people want to spend $120 for a nice gold badge, let them, lol.

#15 Star Wolves Admin Account

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

I agree brining back the founders pack is kind of silly, but why not the phoenix?

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostDrasc, on 20 September 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Yeah, I took a little risk supporting the game very early on, but I do not care if they bring back any of the early programs, even Founders. If people want to spend $120 for a nice gold badge, let them, lol.

your opinion. I am willing to let them do anything BUT give someone the Founders tag. That to me, would be the insult liable to finally make me walk.

That would be like history labeling Bush or Obama as the Founding Fathers of the United States of America.

View PostBlueduck, on 20 September 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

I agree brining back the founders pack is kind of silly, but why not the phoenix?

as stated, I really got no issue with the Phoenix. It was represented as a one time deal, but IMO, if you strip it of the pre-order goodies, and maybe change the colors/names of the badges, to differentiate, I could care less. But to my PoV, the Founders are a totally different thing.

#17 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:07 AM

Founders should be out of the question.Forever.

I wish i was part of it and i will always regret that - but i travelled Asia with my backpack at that time - so it is not THAT bad.

Phoenix.Dunno there is really nothing special about it imho.
I don´t understand people being protective about that one but it is their right to be so as it was sold under that premise.

That said - this game needs as many people as possible to fight for the IS in the future.

#18 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

Personally, I think they should just bring out another top tier IS pack ... call it a hero pack ... allow folks to choose one hero mech of each class. (This would appeal to those who have already purchased some hero mechs and make sure they can avoid those already bought) and allow for a la carte purchases so folks could use it to buy a hero they want and 2 variants at the same time.

$120 would buy 4 heroes (one in each weight class) + 2 regular variants in each class + mech bays + 2 months premium time and it would count as a top tier purchase.

I actually think it would be a good deal to have generally available.

#19 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

While there are some cases where an exclusive deal can be returned, it's up to a company to decide if they tarnish the reputation of their 'Limited Edition' promotions. Once you make one come back the limited edition tag will not hold as much weight as before.

As with what many others said, any 'free' mech they are giving out will be available for C-bills and MC. It's also not out of the question that it will have a 30% C-bill bonus Hero mech later on. I don't think any pack needs to be returned. I am definitely not rich, but I have scrambled to scrounge up the money to pay for the packages here. Those who haven't bought the ones in the past should probably seriously consider buying whatever else comes out from now on.

#20 TopDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

Personally, I never understood why the packs were ever 'limited edition' anyway. I don't know if they should necessarily give out the forum badges or the special paint schemes or whatnot (assuming there were some, I'm not up to date on all the packs and what they offered), in fact they probably shouldn't, but anything game related, and especially C-Bill bonuses or loyalty point bonuses, should be available in game to buy for MC. Which is sort of similar to how I always thought hard point versions of the Hero Mechs (sans the C-Bill bonuses and custom skin) should be available for C-Bills.

I was also always of the opinion that they should have some sort of 'starter pack' for ~$15-30 (or varying levels, one at $15, one at $30, etc), and that they should also allow a way to add on C-Bill bonuses and the likes (via MC) to Mechs you like/pilot a lot; so that way you could 'turn' your favorite Mechs into 'Hero' ones (minus any custom skins). And if there were any hardpoint specific ones in the packs, I feel those should be available via C-Bills (the same as stated above for Heros).

Essentially, anything directly related to gameplay should always be available to everyone (either for MC or C-Bills, i.e. bonuses and hardpoints respectively), and everything fluff related (paint schemes, forum badges, extra 'swag', etc) should be only offered during the 'limited' time window at the beginning of the sale. This would give incentive to buy the whole pack/buy early, while not excluding people from acquiring most (not all) of it at a later date (and this also keeps the revenue stream open).

I realize that not everyone shares this view, but I legitimately do no understand why since it's pretty much the way a lot of F2P games work. And it would give people more options to spend money on the game (and support it).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users