I Play Clan Mechs And Can Admit The Timberwolf Needs A Nerf.

Balance

516 replies to this topic

#21 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

The whole cry for nerfs is just politics! CW approaching so the crying will get louder. Is Unit already are buff way beyong thier historical performance levels and capabilities.

#22 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 06:47 PM, said:

If you would elaborate that would actually be kind of neat.
Especially from an IS perspective

You should ask an IS pilot for an IS perspective. ;)

I find the Timber Wolf to be an excellent mech and a wonderful compliment to my star, but like any mech, a great deal still depends on pilot skill.

#23 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

The Timberwolf does not need a nerf. Other mechs need a buff. The Timberwolf ought to be the standard of what a fun mech SHOULD be.

#24 DasaDevil

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

nerf the only clan mech worth taking, sure

#25 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

View PostDemona, on 22 September 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

but like any mech, a great deal still depends on pilot skill.

I agree with this
but the Twolf is easy mode
Good pilots will wreck face with a twolf even with a nerf.

View PostArchon, on 22 September 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

The Timberwolf does not need a nerf. Other mechs need a buff. The Timberwolf ought to be the standard of what a fun mech SHOULD be.

that would render the Inner Sphere mechs obsolete

View PostDasaDevil, on 22 September 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

nerf the only clan mech worth taking, sure

Why don't you learn how to play the other clan mechs?
The Summoner isn't bad, it's just bad compared to the Timberwolf.

#26 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:07 PM

I do not find the Summoner bad. I dropped two Timberwolves back to back in a match earlier tonight with my Summoner. One of them was 1v1.

The Summoner has a different role to play than the Timberwolf.

The Timberwolf is an icon. It is the face of MechWarrior. If it is a little OP (and I argue it is not) then I find nothing wrong with that either.

#27 Kirkland Langue

• Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

Just wait.

Soon (hahahahahahha) enough, CW will come.
Once players are actively playing Clan vs IS - when it "really" matters - we'll know a lot more about balance of various mechs.

My gut says that Timber is the best mech, ton for ton, that there is - but that is not necessarily a bad thing. No matter how much you nerf, there will ALWAYS be a best mech.

#28 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

IS mechs are obsolete some by over 200 yrs.' compared to clan mech design. A Ford model T does not perform like a 2014 Dodge challenger.

#29 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

View PostKirkland Langue, on 22 September 2014 - 07:11 PM, said:

Just wait.

Soon (hahahahahahha) enough, CW will come.
Once players are actively playing Clan vs IS - when it "really" matters - we'll know a lot more about balance of various mechs.

My gut says that Timber is the best mech, ton for ton, that there is - but that is not necessarily a bad thing. No matter how much you nerf, there will ALWAYS be a best mech.

I agree. I believe CW will change the dynamic more than some may realize.

#30 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 05:33 PM, said:

I own a Masakari pack
I've always sided with the clans.
I love my clan mechs.
But
With the Timberwolf's speed and firepower.
It is obvious it needs a nerf.
Since the implementation of clans I've grown to resent the Timberwolf
It chokes the heavy queue and is the target of the nerfs that have hurt the rest of the clan mechs, Badder, Summoner, ect.
The worst part is that it shrugs off these nerfs and continues to dominate while my Summoner can't even jump jet properly anymore.
I would hate to see clan mechs nerfed to oblivion, but I would like to see the Timberwolf reigned in a bit. The quickest thing I can think of is hitting it with a few negative quirks, that way under preforming clan mechs like my homie the Badder wouldn't be effected.
Now we have the incoming ST heat nerf coming, but I feel like that'll do more harm than good to the underperformers.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion amongst my fellow clanners or not, but it's what I firmly believe.
The TImberwolf is putting the rest of our mechs in a bad spot.

Let's wait until all the Clan mechs are released for CBILLS.

Seriously, the MadCat population is most likely a result of lots of rabid MadCat fans wanting the MadCat, though being essentially a perfect weapons platform doesn't hurt either.

Once the rest of the unwashed and unpaying masses get their hands on Clan mechs, we might see some diversity - especially if the new Clan lights and Mediums are in any way competitive.

Failing that...

"PERKBUFF ALL THE IS." Russ, 2014

#31 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 22 September 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

IS mechs are obsolete some by over 200 yrs.' compared to clan mech design. A Ford model T does not perform like a 2014 Dodge challenger.

How about Commander Cody and his Hotrod Lincoln Model A? ;)

#32 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

The heaviest clan heavy mech should be at the top of the heavy food chain. If they give the Summoner an option to remove some/all of the jump jets it will be on par with the TBW (maybe slightly weaker since it is 5 tons lighter afterall).

I dont think the TBW is OP in the least and this is coming from a guy who actually dislikes to pilot one so im not going "no, plz dont nerf my favorite toy!", i just dont want MWO to start nerfing mechs only because skilled pilots do well in them...its a slippery slope.

With side torso nerf/change and a quirk pass on IS and to a lesser extent a few underperforming clan mechs, the TBW will be just fine where it currently is.

Edited by Kushko, 22 September 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#33 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

View PostRoland, on 22 September 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

The reason the clan's are overpowred is because people simply don't drive the garbage clan mechs.. thus, in tests, the clans stomp the IS, generally because the clans end up being dominated by the good mechs.

So, in reality, every clan mech isn't overpowered... but when your team's got 3 TWolves, and the enemy's got none? They're in for a rough day.

That being said, even if you look at the garbage clan mechs.. The summoner for instance.

The summoner is garbage.... when compared to a TWolf. But it's really not bad at all when compared with almost any IS mech. I'd gladly drive a summoner over a QDraw, or a Dragon, or a TBolt....

And both clan mediums are really quite good. Again, the Nova really only gets under-used because the Ryoken is a total beast, not because the Nova is bad.

The Summoner is garbage compared to the Cataphract. At least with the 'phract, you can end up with a really powerful ballistic centric build that hits like a truck, as well as a range sniping type platform, and you can also turn it into a brawler.

The Summoner is jumpy...with limited hardpoints, and even more limited pod space. The one saving grace of that poor mech is that it was blessed with very good hit boxes. If it were not for that it would never be played...

#34 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

I agree with this
but the Twolf is easy mode
Good pilots will wreck face with a twolf even with a nerf.

that would render the Inner Sphere mechs obsolete

Why don't you learn how to play the other clan mechs?
The Summoner isn't bad, it's just bad compared to the Timberwolf.

Why would that render IS mechs obsolete? I am especially referring to IS mechs when I say they need a buff. Apparently PGI agrees because they're buffing the Victor after the myriad of nerfs that made sucked all of the fun out of playing it.

#35 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostArchon, on 22 September 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Why would that render IS mechs obsolete? I am especially referring to IS mechs when I say they need a buff. Apparently PGI agrees because they're buffing the Victor after the myriad of nerfs that made sucked all of the fun out of playing it.

If they buff the victor back, then perhaps they will finally buff the highlander back and end up leaving the better clan mechs alone. Because those 2 in full form will end up being power houses in their own right.

#36 Destructicus

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:34 PM

View PostArchon, on 22 September 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

The Timberwolf is canonically overpowered
Even with an IS buff it'll still be as powerful.
I welcome all and any IS buffs.
I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things the Twolf is overpowered in it's current state.

#37 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

I still believe that trial mechs need to be reworked for proper information. 1 ISIS mech and 1 Clan mech in each weight class. Even with CW we will still have new players who are forced into ISIS mechs because they are the only trials. Best way to gather data is to enable everyone equal chances with both the sides. New players can change an entire team's performance, giving them Clan mechs might change the stats completely. Skill is still one of the largest deciding factors in this game. Pros right now probably already own the clan mechs (abundance of C-bills/Mc. also willing to support the game by buying the mech packages) and already know how to rework them to be more effective. Give the noobs some fire power and see if they can wield it in an over powered manner.

#38 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

View PostDestructicus, on 22 September 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

The Timberwolf is canonically overpowered
Even with an IS buff it'll still be as powerful.
I welcome all and any IS buffs.
I'm just saying that in the grand scheme of things the Twolf is overpowered in it's current state.

What I'm saying though is that there's no reason they can't buff other mechs to be on the same level as the Timberwolf though.

#39 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

I think the Timberwolf;s rating as "one of, if not the, best Mech in the game" is due to the intentional shortcomings of other Clan Mechs (fixed equipment that reduces battlefield effectiveness) coupled with its inane number of hardpoints.

What other Mechs in the game have 12 hardpoints that travels as such speed with Heavy/Assault armor levels? None. Add the fact that 4 SRM6-packs are mounted high enough to shoot over berms and you get an awesome killing machine.

The Timberwolf is designed to be the Best Mech the clans can field. If you think that bit of Lore is so important that the rest of the Clans' inventory *should* be gimped, then you're not looking out for the game's best interests.

#40 Devilsfury

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Per MechWarrior lore: (small snips) Clans invaded using advanced technology, beyond that of Star League. Using their technological superiority and impressive combat prowess.
So again, Clans are SUPPOSED to be much better mechs and pilots. Their technology is far superior to IS and it isn't until much later that IS mechs were up to par. Now, I do agree he Clan mechs are strong by lore...they are better in every way. What is the point in having the Clans come in and being the same or worse than the IS?????????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users