#21 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

People still use Gauss/PPC?

Well, I suppose in some brackets, people do sit still long enough for both sets of projectiles to hit you.

#22 Quxudica

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 24 September 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

I feel I get killed/crippled by the DW dual guass and PPC more than anything else. Some of them have 3 guass for christs sake...
The problem is they have no fear. Step out, pinpoint +50 damage and wreck pretty well anything under 80 tons. NO penalty. I can't count how many times... By the time I step out of cover, see that it's a DW, and backpedal, BLAM!!!!, torso/arm/leg gone. 600m, 200m, whatever. Frustrating.

This is a problem with convergence more than a problem with the mech. If the game didn't allow every weapon on a mech pinpoint convergence in the same spot, this wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Quxudica, 24 September 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#23 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:32 AM

View PostAsyres, on 24 September 2014 - 04:24 AM, said:

So what you're saying is that when you face a Direwolf in a situation that plays to all of it's strengths and none of it's weaknesses, it goes badly for you? Don't play peakaboo with Direwolves. They have the most firepower of anything - they will win.

I always see 1 DW every match on the opposing side. Always. %80 of the time one of them has this dual-******* loadout. Whether or not I play peekaboo with it, it's that insta 50+ damage that bothers me. It takes less than 2 seconds to fire. I don't know about you, but I'm not always piloting a mastered commando with a max XL engine. I can't move away fast enough

Edited by Team Chevy86, 24 September 2014 - 04:35 AM.

#24 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Well, I never killed so many whales as yesterday nad today; maybe because a lot are without any basic skill yet.

#25 -Natural Selection-

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

Secrete to beating a DW? Step,, <----2 foot---->

#26 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:40 AM

Up close my thunderbolt 9SE has a ~60 damage alpha. 2SRM6 2ERLL 3MPL.... Heck my centurion has a 48 damage alpha.

Use your targeting data, and avoid a head to head confrontation, even if it is peakaboo.

#27 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 24 September 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I always see 1 DW every match on the opposing side. Always. %80 of the time one of them has this dual-******* loadout. Whether or not I play peekaboo with it, it's that insta 50+ damage that bothers me. It takes less than 2 seconds to fire. I don't know about you, but I'm not always piloting a mastered commando with a max XL engine. I can't move away fast enough

Never stare down or play peek a boo with a whale. It's a sure way to quick death.

As for not being fast enough to get away from a whale, I don't know what to say........... :unsure:

#28 SI The Joker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 728 posts
  • LocationBehind you!

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

Shoot the legs.

#29 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

Yeah, a speed in the 60kph range won't create the delta needed to break away from a stand up fight with a direwolf. You're gonna need mid 70+ speed to dictate the terms of the encounter.

I've seen some mechs so loaded down with weapons, ammo, and armor, espcially shadowhawks for some reason, that they neglect the movement aspect of survivability.

#30 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

View PostPiney, on 24 September 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

Never stare down or play peek a boo with a whale. It's a sure way to quick death.

As for not being fast enough to get away from a whale, I don't know what to say........... :unsure:

This isn't every encounter. I don't suck entirely haha... Just most mechs I pilot can't find cover in that 2 second window

#31 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

What mech do you run the most? or what are you running a lot right now?

I think this may help in the discussion on how to approach gauss/ppc direwolves.

#32 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

View PostCorvus Corax, on 24 September 2014 - 04:50 AM, said:

What mech do you run the most? or what are you running a lot right now?

I think this may help in the discussion on how to approach gauss/ppc direwolves.

Honestly, Jagers. But Jagers are squishy anyway so that's negligible.
Otherwise Stormcrows, Dragons, Stalkers, Firestarters, Just got an Orion. Bit of everything

I feel the best way to tackle them is at least 2 mechs, to draw the firepower and hopefully not be the target

Edited by Team Chevy86, 24 September 2014 - 04:57 AM.

#33 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

DWF-PRIME 8xERPPC salvo = 120 damage. Direstar. :ph34r:

#34 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:03 AM

A Direwolf stepped out in front of you and killed you?
Keep moving and expect one to be around every corner.

#35 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:04 AM

I drive whales. The best way to tackle whales is to get behind them and stay behind them. Avoid that firing arc at all times.

Even a mastered whale moves like a pregnant yak, so out- manuevering it isn't some herculean feat.

If you stumble into one face to face with no way out.......................... just go down swinging. :D

#36 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

1) The sheer cost of the Dire Whale for cbills isn't going to lead to quite as bad of a flood as you thought.
2) As a person who just bought a Dire Whale for cbills, I encourage people to facetank them as the best strategy for victory.

#37 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 September 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

You could say "Just avoid the Dire Wolf in areas where it has a clear advantage". But the problem is, it's one of the few mechs that can punish enemy players with almost instant death if they m
ake a wrong turn.
"Let me just see if there's anyone in this tunnel. Oh sh-" DEATH
It's a low risk, high reward mech. As long as you're near your team, you're fine. And while DW pilots often complain that they get left behind, as a light mech pilot, I would have to say that it's fairly rare to see a DW without support. It's nice when it happens, but it's a fairly rare sight.

Not even close to the truth. Just last night I had my team at my back and they let a Commando core me because they were concentrating their fire on other easier to hit targets. Also it isn't even the getting left behind thing its that it is very easy to get out of position and get isolated and you don't have the speed or mobility to recover.

Additionally, those tunnels can be just as deadly to a Dire Wolf. You walk in and find 2-3 enemy mechs standing there and by the time you stop your forward momentum, reverse directions and try to get back around the curve of the tunnel out of enemy fire, your cored. Same with pushing the center on Mordor. Basically as I mentioned, you just don't have the speed or mobility to recover, from any situation.

Lastly, just like you said, but in reverse. The times you catch an enemy rounding a corner in one of those, "Oh Sh...it!!" moments where you catch him flat footed, is nice when it happens but fairly rare. However, on the plus side, there seem to be plenty of dumb pilots that think it is a good idea to walk straight forward right into your guns and this makes up for a Dire Wolf's weaknesses to a degree.

#38 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Stalkers and Jagers will have a problem. I would certainly use my targeting data. If a direwolf were in my vicinity, was relatively fresh, and its armor wasn't lighting up from being shot at by other players, I'd leave it alone.

#39 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

View PostTraining Instructor, on 24 September 2014 - 05:10 AM, said:

2) As a person who just bought a Dire Whale for cbills, I encourage people to facetank them as the best strategy for victory.

Hear, Hear! :D

#40 ToxinTractor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 295 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

Do. Not. Look. The. Wolf. In. The. Eyes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users