The Direwolf Meta Is A Joke.

164 replies to this topic

#41 Sprouticus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

The best tactic to fight whales is not to get behind them. That is a great tactic, but not the best.

the best tactic is to keep the battle moving and draw out the faster mechs and use terrain to leave the DW huffing and puffing to catch up. Once you have them stretched out, you can engage them more readily and take out the teammates.

If you catch the Dw alone, all the better. But in a worst case scenario, you leave them for last and give them a big group hug. You may lose a mech doing it, but it works.

If the enemy force is smart enough to stick with their DW and use its massive firepower, you counter with flankers takiing out other mechs and repeat the process. The DW will have a very difficult time hitting your flankers.

The wolf pack, nip at its heels model works really really well.

The DW is scary, but it is a 100 ton mech, it SHOULD be scary. I only wish the Atlas were as bad azz as the DW.

#42 MandyB

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

They are not as scary and overpowered as people say they are, i have face tanked some and killed them with my atlas. Running around them also works, they overheat way before I do. I'm not saying that they aren't deadly but I think that has more to do with the pilot than the mech. I wish I would've saved last nights match, took out a jager, a jenner, a blackjack and a direwolf back to back on therma, ended up with 28% hp I just rushed down a ramp so very little cover fire from friendlies. Anyway the point is that for all its strengths it has plenty of weaknesses.

#43 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:30 AM

ouu, cant wait for the battle of the monster mechs, KING CRAB vs DIRE WOLF

#44 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 September 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

I finally got my Dire Wolf and the first thing that crossed my mind was how appalled I was at its inability to twist its torso and engage targets outside a very narrow forward firing arc. The second thing was how appalled I was at its inability to stop or change directions. The third thing was how appalled I was at being unable to deal with virtually any mech faster than 70 kph once they got up close and started circling me. The fourth things was how appalled I was that I was completely at the mercy of my teammates actually supporting me and just how vulnerable I was without the support. The fifth thing was HOW FRICKEN MUCH FIREPOWER I HAD WHEN I ACTUALLY COULD LINE UP AN ENEMY IN MY SIGHTS.

The point is, yeah your right, it has an amazing amount of firepower but there is very much a balance going on with this mechs. They do actually pay in spades for all that firepower.

Sums it up perfect. Some matches, I do 200 dmg and die within the first minute. Other matches, 1200+ and survive. Without support, super weak.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 September 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

And while DW pilots often complain that they get left behind, as a light mech pilot, I would have to say that it's fairly rare to see a DW without support.

You must be playing against pro's because I rarely have any support whatsoever. ECM runs off and yolo's getting killed almost immediately. I'm picked off while attempting to catch up/find cover from LRM rain and sniping. Where's my team? Oh, 500m away diving into the enemy LoS.

#45 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:42 AM

View PostLemming211, on 24 September 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

In contrast, I helped kill a Dire Wolf in my Spider yesterday. Used TAG and ran circles around the thing, poking with my large laser until it was as dead as the rest of it's team.

My suggestion is, if your tactics aren't working, change them.

If you can circle around a direwold like that it wasn't your tactic being good, it was his team being bad. otherwise your spider butt would run a circle before hitting the ground.

View PostNauht, on 24 September 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

Show me on the doll where the bad wolf touched you.

Posted Image

you said it again, and I post this again:

Posted Image

#46 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:52 AM

Yes it's a joke... a very sad joke...

#47 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

Meh
No honestly

I tried out both clan assaults on an alternative account from a mate.
I came away unimpressed, well at least coming from my timber.

Direwolfs are near indomitable fortresses, heralds of destruction; for as long as you creep around in there field of fire.
Which isn't that impressive.

The mistake OP made was poke around a corner and paddle back as soon as he saw a Direwolf.
Giving that thing time to cool down, for another poke around the corner I guess.
Already waiting for you to come out.

How about just pushing onwards trying to spread out damage, use JJ if you have them, try to make him aim for real.
You're quite literally sitting ducks for as long as you need to paddle back.

People need to understand that you can't win in a poke out have a look if I can snipe something against that direwolf.

Those things run hot, push them, roll damage and push them more.
Push them with 2 more guys spreading damage, making him turn and look how he panics.

Everytime I loose against a direwolf it's because I made the mistake.
The mistake to turn, or turn back right in his field of fire.

Now I think you should be a lot more afraid of those timbers for c-bills.
I just adore mine.
It's got the firepower, armor and speed to run you down before you're friends arive.
You can outrun that direwolf.
Hell you can out walk it.
But only under gunned mechs can outrun my timber.

Just try to adapt you're tactics.
And, it's just the flavor mech to go for those who haven't gotten one already, for obvious reasons.
It's like saying: sheesh, from where come all the vindicators and medium mech killers all of a sudden not so long ago.

Also 3 gaus?
That's weak. :D
Can't fire more than 2 at a time.
Now if you start the poky game, sure it looks dangerous.
But those things are hard to aim with if you're getting in his face, circling him.

Also King crab.
At least I can play around with the engine.

#48 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

There's gotta be some irony in a person named Lemming saying this, right?

#49 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

BRING ME MY HARPOON!!!!!

#50 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan, on 24 September 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

BRING ME MY HARPOON!!!!!

Calm down Ahab. :D

#51 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 24 September 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

The mistake OP made was poke around a corner and paddle back as soon as he saw a Direwolf.
Giving that thing time to cool down, for another poke around the corner I guess.
Already waiting for you to come out.

Your spot on here. You can't poke at a Dire Wolf. If he has got you in his line of fire, your going to get hurt. However, with such limited fire arcs, it isn't hard to step out of his line of fire so if he doesn't have buddies best thing to do is just keep running toward while angling away from him. It won't take long for you to step outside his arc and then, unless your are very, very slow, you just keep up the circle and he will not be able to get you back into his fire arc. If you can't do this, you need to just back up and find a new angle of approach or wait for a couple of your buddies to gang up on him.

#52 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

View PostTeam Chevy86, on 24 September 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

I feel I get killed/crippled by the DW dual guass and PPC more than anything else. Some of them have 3 guass for christs sake...
The problem is they have no fear. Step out, pinpoint +50 damage and wreck pretty well anything under 80 tons. NO penalty. I can't count how many times... By the time I step out of cover, see that it's a DW, and backpedal, BLAM!!!!, torso/arm/leg gone. 600m, 200m, whatever. Frustrating.

3 gauss.....pffffffff :D Guy in my group runs a 4 gauss and i have yet to see him put up under 800 dmg in it avgs 950 or so a game and a few kills. The only way to kill a dire wolf is from behind......if they see you coming you are doing it wrong. I have gotten rather good at killing lights when they circle even half the Alpha most of the DWF's have will leg any Light trying to circle of death me.....

Edited by DarthRevis, 24 September 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#53 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

In contrast, I helped kill a Dire Wolf in my Spider yesterday. Used TAG and ran circles around the thing, poking with my large laser until it was as dead as the rest of it's team.

what he said :)

#54 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:24 PM

This is how you handle a Dire Wolf.

#55 Time Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I've faced down a sneaky DW (it was on Canyon and had no one on that flank to watch for it) and won. In a LRM boat. I saw him, started backing up, while still being in that sweet spot for LRM (between 200-300m) and watched it fall down. Granted, that was also pre-CT hitbox reduction.

#56 hybrid black

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 844 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

I feel I get killed/crippled by the DW dual guass and PPC more than anything else. Some of them have 3 guass for christs sake...
The problem is they have no fear. Step out, pinpoint +50 damage and wreck pretty well anything under 80 tons. NO penalty. I can't count how many times... By the time I step out of cover, see that it's a DW, and backpedal, BLAM!!!!, torso/arm/leg gone. 600m, 200m, whatever. Frustrating.

well there is your problem you back up/slow down and not run to the side or are in his view in the first place

#57 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

NO penalty.

Oh it has penalties, high alpha can help balace out its incredible slugishness and lack of agility. If you are infront of a DW you are kinda doing it wrong. Do your best to flank em.

View PostSolomon Ward, on 24 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

This is how you handle a Dire Wolf.

with a spaz shotgun? does that translate to a LBX2? lol JK I got your point.

#58 Vandril

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 104 posts
  • LocationOuterspace

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 24 September 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

My suggestion is, try not to exaggerate the significance of episodes like that. Every mech in the game is piloted by bad players. Just because some dude in a Locust once took out a Timber Wolf because someone let their 5-year-old sit on their lap and play a game, doesn't mean everything is working as intended.

Anecdotal evidence is fairly worthless.

Yes, yes indeed....

#59 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostNauht, on 24 September 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

Show me on the doll where the bad wolf touched you.

Posted Image

OMG my sides are hurting from the laughter. Well played sir.

#60 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Lol right now you're going against mostly basic'd Dire Wolves. Wait untill you run into someone that runs the REAL meta that has been playing the Dire since the Masakari pack release. 2xLPL 4xML 2xGauss can kill any mech in 2 alphas with no overheating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users