Do You Guys Skill Your Clan Mechs Past Basic?

32 replies to this topic

#21 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

The mobility difference between a mech with basics vs one with speed tweak and doubled basics is huge. Always elite and master anything you intend to play as more than a "sometimes this is amusing" build.

Generally I don't sell off excess inventory to make room, but I'll be selling Novae B and S as well as the S Kitfox when I need the bays. I wasn't planning on getting more mechs soon, but it looks like CW will require you to take one of each class of mech, so I guess I need to elite a couple more, even though I don't really like heavies.

#22 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

Only the ones I like and want to keep multiples ready (SCRs) or that have different CTs (WHKs) or both (TBRs).

#23 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

i HATE leveling mechs so i basic the variants i'm not interested in and master the Prime, often with the help of GXP to reduce the torture level

i never sell anything though - never know what the future holds, sometimes the mech i hate the most now becomes my fav later

#24 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Being a Wave 1 buyer I always Master Primes, then usually move on to the next Mech. Lately I've been all over the place mastering the other 2 variants in each waiting for Wave 2 to hit.

I also never sell my Clan variants mostly because I guess I never had a reason too since I'm well off on C-bills and mechbays.

That's a big difference than my IS mechs where I buy 3 variants and decide which ones I liked as I leveled them. The rest just get stripped for parts and sold.

Edited by Griggio, 27 September 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#25 Jeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:12 PM

I made sure that I have 3 mechs in each weight class with Elite unlocked...

Because of that, any new mech I get, I can go through the basics on all 3, then do elite and master on the one I like the most...
If I later decide to play another one of those variants, I then work on unlocking elite on that...

The only time I do not unlock Elite is if I can't, due to not having 3 variants of that mech with basics unlocked, but the plan for those ones would be to go back to them once I can afford the others and have unlocked basics on them

Honestly the speed tweak and the 2x bonus to the basic skills is very good... if it's a cash flow issue, just sell the other 2 variants you don't want once you have basics unlocked on them...

#26 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:29 AM

View PostAppogee, on 27 September 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

Yes. But I am seriously considering selling the least useful variant of each of them, just to rebuild my Cbill coffers.

currently the cbill blackhole. where your funds go, no body knows. you can't even make interest on that.

Edited by King Arthur IV, 28 September 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#27 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:41 AM

I have an aversion to selling mechs because I screwed my World of Tanks account up that way.

I ended up with a whole lot of tanks that needed grinding or tanks that were fun to play but you couldn't make any money on because they were too high a tier. Thousands of games played and my garage was pretty much worthless because I kept halving my earned c-bills every time I sold a tank or weapon. I was left with nothing but fun tanks that needed me to play other things to enjoy them, or tanks that existed only to extend the grind.

So in MWO I keep everything, either because I payed real money for it, or subscribe to the theory that one day it may not suck. I have a hanger full of mechs, and since they are all set up differently then I can log on with the question, 'What do I want to play today?'

Edited by CheeseThief, 28 September 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#28 FogOfW4r

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLost in space.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

View PostCheeseThief, on 28 September 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

I have an aversion to selling mechs because I screwed my World of Tanks account up that way.

I ended up with a whole lot of tanks that needed grinding or tanks that were fun to play but you couldn't make any money on because they were too high a tier. Thousands of games played and my garage was pretty much worthless because I kept halving my earned c-bills every time I sold a tank or weapon. I was left with nothing but fun tanks that needed me to play other things to enjoy them, or tanks that existed only to extend the grind.

So in MWO I keep everything, either because I payed real money for it, or subscribe to the theory that one day it may not suck. I have a hanger full of mechs, and since they are all set up differently then I can log on with the question, 'What do I want to play today?'

Wow, I didn't know wot's universe mixes with battletech. :P

The only thing keeping me from saving every 'mech is the limited amount of mech bays. I wish we could pay a farly crazy amount (3-4mil c bills) to get a mechbay without needing MC, but PGI has to make money somehow I guess. (so does every game with a "garage" like wot and war thunder)

#29 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostFogOfW4r, on 28 September 2014 - 01:55 AM, said:

Wow, I didn't know wot's universe mixes with battletech. :P

The only thing keeping me from saving every 'mech is the limited amount of mech bays. I wish we could pay a farly crazy amount (3-4mil c bills) to get a mechbay without needing MC, but PGI has to make money somehow I guess. (so does every game with a "garage" like wot and war thunder)

There were challenges that gave away mech bays. There may be more of those in the future.

#30 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

View PostCheeseThief, on 28 September 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

In MWO I keep everything, either because I payed real money for it, or subscribe to the theory that one day it may not suck.
But with Clan Mechs, if you keep the Omnipods, you can refit just one variant - the one that earns you 30% more when you use it - in all the possible ways.

So I can't see any reason why I need to keep the other two variants, unless (as in the case of Timbies) it's such an OP chassis that it's worth keeping a few of them rigged in different ways when I need to help win matches for my team.

#31 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:00 AM

Earning 4 million per day just to get the next DW. The game is becoming a chore.

#32 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:09 AM

I've mastered all my wave 1 mechs by this point.

Even though all of the pod spaces are "kinda" the same except for a direwolf and a timber wolf, The main reason I want to have 3 mastered frames so I have 3 main loadouts ready to go without the need to spend 5 minutes adjusting an individual frame load out every time I want to change it up.

I already have the mechs anyways, and they come to you pretty much fully upgraded already, so its not that much to just change the loadouts and have 3 mechs pretty much ready to go.

#33 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Some mechs have different CTs, so it's worth keeping at least 2 for that. Otherwise, I find keeping at least 2 clan mechs is not a bad idea anyway simply because it lets you use different builds on them without having to swap them, and it's possible you might be able to use 2 of the same mech in CW (if they go tonnage limits over 1/1/1/1).

Also, if you haven't elited that weight class, you need to elite 3 of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users