At What Point Did Mwo Stop Being Fun?

83 replies to this topic

#1 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

Its a serious question.

When i started over a year ago it was a great game, it felt co-ordinated and there was variety in your matches and the mechs people were piloting. The did not seem to be too much that i would have thought was "dominant" in the game - i never really had a n issue with poptarts, only when the matchmaker dropped you against organised teams.

but lately, at least in the lo bracket im wedged in, its either incessent LRM rain clan mechs that dominate everything. Team that scatter like sheep and have on the team getting gutted. Ive lost coujnt of the number of times my "team" and illl use that term loosely was 4-0 down before i had seen an enemy mech

There are no tactics any more

there are no flanking maneuvers, its just facetanking until you or your team is dead

There are entire matches spent cowering behind rocks and building because of the incessent LRM rain, and when its not LRM rain, its facing off against 3 or 4 dakka wolves that shred atlas's in a few seconds.

1000 damage matches used to be rare and something to behold, and you ahd to work hard for them. Now they are every other match

I own 6 clan mechs, and they are performing extroadinarily well. They do awesome damage and are very survivable. The other 40 odd IS mechs are absolute trash in comparison and are not survivable. They do not put out damage quick enough to be competitive and coupled with the gimped build people run now, half of your team is often useless when you go into the fight

The game has become incredible one dimensional now and its not fun anymore

Just my .2 cents

#2 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

The game has become more interesting and challenging throughout the years; but there have been some appalling rewards given. A cadet bonus, players winning five (!) matches would be given rewards beyond reasonable, double experience for each 'Mech daily, etc.
Otherwise, the game is enticing and captivating!

#3 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

View Postlunticasylum, on 30 September 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

The game has become more interesting and challenging throughout the years; but there have been some appalling rewards given. A cadet bonus, players winning five (!) matches would be given rewards beyond reasonable, double experience for each 'Mech daily, etc.
Otherwise, the game is enticing and captivating!

I wish it was, i just cant see it anymore

#4 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

So LRM's and Dire Wolves are OP? No...not even remotely.

As for tactics. If you are playing in the solo queue never expects tactics to be used. You could take charge and hope others listen, or just pretend your team are bad AI mechs only there to soak some damage for you.

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:12 AM

Well people do other things too. I mean, I'm not online on MWO everyday but I still play it more often than most other games. :lol:

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:26 AM

I had fun last night?

Are you playing solo queue or group quue? either way if you want tactical play, you had better be prepared to bring the tactics yourself- don't be the guy who doesn't bring any snacks to the party.

Solo queue, embrace the chaos and do what you can to herd your pugs.

Group queue, work with your team (the WHOLE team ot just your local voip) if you want to make a concentrated effort.

#7 Josef Nader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:27 AM

I stopped playing for a long while and recently came back to it. My clan mechs are a blast, and they definitely -feel- different to my IS mechs. I've been running around leveling them up incessantly since my return, but last night I decided to take a spin in some of my old IS chassis.

The result?

Honestly, I never once felt at a disadvantage against a clan mech. Clans have better DPS, sure, but we should all be really good at playing the peek-a-boo damage mitigation game by now, as that's what this game was prior to Clantech dropping. Plus, for the most part IS weapons are a lot more accurate. As long as you use your strengths and aren't intimidated by the shiny new mechs, the balance actually felt really good to me. Sure, sometimes you get owned by a really high damage Clan mech, but that's always been there. At least the Whale has weaknesses compared to the pre-nerf Victor which was fast, jump capable, and handled like a mech half its weight.

#8 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:31 AM

Yesterday, about 3 in the morning i got really tired.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

The game right now is pretty un-fun cause I am so damn burnt out from grinding C-Bills for two Direwhales and working on the third.(45 Million C-Bills in 18 days) But I must go on because Whale when Elited, is a real monster.

Of course, life hasn't been the same ever since Dakka Jager was eaten by the Ghost Heat.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 October 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#10 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

The game stopped being fun around Dec 4 2012.. but after a break, I came back and it was mostly fun again... then it stopped being fun early 2013... after a break, I came back and it has been generally fun ever since.

(Could always use improvement, but that has been happening at comparative breakneck speed as of late.)

#11 OzViper

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

I admit, I have had less fun since the Clan mechs have come onto the scene. Many of the IS builds are no real match to them, so there is no point fielding them.
These days it feels like I am stuck playing just a few builds that are competitive (SRM Boats, 2XGuass, Ravens and Jenners etc..)

I guess it doesn't help that my favourite mech, a brawling Victor was killed off, plus the jumpjet nerf to many of my other builds... just makes the game... less fun

#12 Salticidae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:41 AM

I agree, you will never have tactics in solo que's. All you can do is stay with your team and use them as meat shields, there's not a lot you can do about having new players on your team that just run off and die, but they will learn eventually or get bored and stop playing.

#13 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:46 AM

I'm still having fun - in both my Clan and IS mechs.

I'm looking forward to what the IS quirks might bring.

Edited by Piney, 01 October 2014 - 03:49 AM.

#14 Vezm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

When the server changed location and my ISP (presumably) shat its pants. No fault of PGI, I think the game itself is still fun, it's just no fun having a ping that can decide what it wants to do.

#15 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:53 AM

After your 10,000 th drop arena robots gets boring

#16 L A V A

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 308 posts
  • LocationOn the beach!

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:54 AM

10,000 games and counting...

Damn, I hate MWO! :P

#17 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

Since its "play solo or in a large group and nothing in between if you dont want your ass to be handed to you match after match".

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

For me it comes in waves.

Right now I am having a bunch of fun with it. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will have a huge string of losses or bad luck and I will get upset and need a week break.

Overall I am waiting for CW (although as a PUG I fear I will be left out in the cold when it comes to CW). Still, I think objectives ( even as simple as capturing and defending planets) layered on top of combat will make things seem a bit more interesting and get me more motivated to play more consistently. Heck, I may even spend money on the game again.

#19 Griggio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

Started hitting the wall the last few weeks. Usually a good time to walk away for a bit and enjoy some of the new releases this month and come back fresh and recharged.

#20 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:13 AM

• The game being less tactical
Definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, its much more about outfiring the enemy now then about any sort of tactical decision making and execution. Games used to be much more about positioning, prioritizing targets and such. Now its all go in, guns blazing. Yesterday I laughed my ass of, I died, thought to myself, well that was a ****** round I didn't hit crap...900+dmg I'll let you guess what mech that was in. LRMs are hilarious to, you peek, you do ANYTHING, lock. Almost every round. Unless you have ECM or flank like crazy almost any action nets you an "Incoming Missile". But I guess, if youre not lazy its easy to outrun LRMs. It just bothers me I have to go through the same procedure of dodging this **** everytime I do anything. I also quit matches if I see way to many LRMs, or if I'm completely paralyzed by the sheer volume of them and the amount of "sources" firing them at me. I don't feel bad about it.
  • No tactics in the solo queue
I play 99% solo. The greater majority of matches yesterday people communicated and we kept winning by doing so. Last night was generally a really good time for me. Most people are in on it so long as the instructions and ideas are clear and not arrogant, we actually managed to execute some advanced manoeuvres that had several steps to them. I was surprised. Lesson is people are eager and willing and it can easily be done. Just type. Type a lot and type fast. People will get on board with it.

The game is still kinda fun for me. The new stuff makes it different and it keeps me playing, but I really wish for like an (unrealistic I know) "classic" night where we get the old school stuff only. I still think the game had more depth BEFORE despite having less actual content. I think now its more content, but yet simpler.

The way I look at it, its a free game. I haven't payed a cent for it, I'm not going to and I happy about it. I'm glad it exists and even though the people making it seem semi-competent its pretty clear that this thing could have been done way better. However I'm still thankful its around, this was my dream when I first played MW4 as a kid and these people realized it no matter what the motives. So thanks guys, keep it rockin.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 01 October 2014 - 04:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users