For Crying Out Loud, Delete Terra Therma From Rotation.

131 replies to this topic

#101 oneproduct

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostStonefalcon, on 30 September 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I fail to see the issue with Terra Therma.

Posted Image

Terra Therma 182 116 65 1.78

Doesn't mean it's not a bad map.

Furthermore, your win % on the map is often at the mercy of who you get grouped with:
River City 86 44 42 1.05
River City Night 93 62 31 2.00

Edited by oneproduct, 30 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#102 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 30 September 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

Furthermore, your win % on the map is often at the mercy of who you get grouped with:
River City 86 44 42 1.05

My unit started off hating Terra Therma but we found out a critical point with the map. Nobody defends the base, 5 minutes later the base is capped and we all move on. Hilarious when you verse opponents who know what you do, mention it to their teammates and we still cap them, LOL.

#103 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

View Postoneproduct, on 30 September 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

River City 86 44 42 1.05

LOL. I have a winning record on River City (barely) but River City Night is at .5.

Typically this is because whenever I get that map in a Skirmish in my DW I get the far spawn and everyone rushes across the water to group up on the opposite bank and I get left behind and skinned alive by the enemy team in the first 30 seconds.

View PostStonefalcon, on 30 September 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

My unit started off hating Terra Therma but we found out a critical point with the map. Nobody defends the base, 5 minutes later the base is capped and we all move on. Hilarious when you verse opponents who know what you do, mention it to their teammates and we still cap them, LOL.

The first time I convinced a PUG team to do this was pretty hilarious. FOr about athe first 1/2 cap they stubbornly held out in the caldera almost in bewilderment wondering why didn't suicide into them. When they finally streamed towards us in a single file column it was fun while it lasted but we didn't kill any before the cap finished.

#104 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

View Post151st Light Horse Regiment, on 30 September 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

One of the most pathetic, terrible maps ever.

jimmies status : rustled

#105 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

I like the map as well. Especially when people play smart on it.

Please don't listen to the OP... for various reasons.

#106 Jonathan Paine

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

I love Terra Therma. Do not get rid of it, please!

#107 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

ITT: I don't know how to play, please remove maps that show that.

Terra Therma is one of the best designed maps in the entire game. Especially in a team environment. The terrain encourages scouting, and proper positioning. It also lends itself well to tactical deployment, and use of strategy.

The heat on that map forces trigger discipline on the pilots, and that requires proper skill. The difference between a good pilot, and one that's not, is trigger discipline.

The lack of insanely sized open spaces allows for all builds to function and stops one combat type from overwhelmingly dominate the entire battle.

At the end of the day, Terra Therma is the sieve that separates the wheat from the chaff. High skill is required to pilot a mech on Terra Therma, that's why most people hate it. It's not an easy map, and requires a LOT of situational awareness, and trigger discipline. Good judgement is needed in abundance in order to perform there, and sadly, most people don't have those three assets in enough quantity to succeed there.

I love that map, and I would hate for it to be removed simply because it raises the skill cap.

Drop with me. I'll teach you how to kick ass in that map, and how to perform well there.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 30 September 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#108 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm not a big fan due to the heat but that just means I need to build my mechs more heat efficient and play smarter (e.g. don't alpha all the bloody time!).

A few of the pros for the map is there is no direct line of sight across half or more of the map so sniping and LRMs are at a disadvantage and this is good given all the other maps are a haven for long range combat. The layout of the map and the size also means you need to play as a team even more then other maps. Finally the corridors allow for some good choke points that can be held and defended well, again if you are playing well as a team.

So the OP's opinion is really subjective.

#109 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

I enjoi all the maps. Some I like more than others.

I believe that if they made lighting variations of all the maps, that would be great.

Terra Therma in a daylight mode.

Alpine under a bright moonlight..

Caustic after a type of inert gas leak... make it even more hazy green...

Forrest Colony at night with Flares in the air for 60 seconds at a time....

So many variations without having to really code all that much.....

But that is just not how PGI operates... under normal logic.

#110 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 30 September 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

I enjoi all the maps. Some I like more than others.

I believe that if they made lighting variations of all the maps, that would be great.

Terra Therma in a daylight mode.

Alpine under a bright moonlight..

Caustic after a type of inert gas leak... make it even more hazy green...

Forrest Colony at night with Flares in the air for 60 seconds at a time....

So many variations without having to really code all that much.....

But that is just not how PGI operates... under normal logic.

I think they should add day/night/weather variations for many maps.

Canyon Network night-yes please
Tourmaline Desert night-yes please
Crimson Strait night-yes please

Dust storms for desert maps like the Frozen City blizzard.

#111 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

AMEN!

Please eject this aborted fetus of a trainwreck out the airlock.

Maybe - MAYBE if they got rid of the : clipping, tearing, invisible walls, magic mech stopping rocks, lighting problems, bloom issues. HSR issues, lock bugs, inconsisten heat mapping, everybody-in-an-X-Games halfpipe design... then maybe, maaaaybe, I might like it.

As it is, it sucks balls.

All it accomplishes right now is upon drop it immediately forces me to make a piloting skill roll. Do I fail and press Alt-F4?
(and no, I'm not under any obligation to you, PGI, the pope, or momma Cass to spend my very hard earned cash and extremely limited free time in any manner whatsoever other than of my own choosing, regardless of whatever piece of paper you frantically gesture to, so before you go scrabbling to find your EULA quote, stick that up your neural-helmet and smoke it)

There's a reason PGI isn't giving us free reign to chose our maps straight up, and it ain't the MM. Its because they know damn well this POS would be as barren as a ghost town, with nought but the occasional butthurt light pilot dropping in to see if they can rofl rollerball-bounce-rebound their way around the skateboard park on Mordor.

Edited by Hillslam, 30 September 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#112 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostHillslam, on 30 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

AMEN!

Please eject this aborted fetus of a trainwreck out the airlock.

Maybe - MAYBE if they got rid of the : clipping, tearing, invisible walls, magic mech stopping rocks, lighting problems, bloom issues. HSR issues, lock bugs, inconsisten heat mapping, everybody-in-an-X-Games halfpipe design... then maybe, maaaaybe, I might like it.

As it is, it sucks balls.

All it accomplishes right now is upon drop it immediately forces me to make a piloting skill roll. Do I fail and press Alt-F4?
(and no, I'm not under any obligation to you, PGI, the pope, or momma Cass to spend my very hard earned cash and extremely limited in any manner whatsoever other than of my own choosing, regardless of whatever piece of paper you frantically gesture to, so before you go scrabbling to find your EULA quote, stick that up your neural-helmet and smoke it)

There's a reason PGI isn't giving us free reign to chose our maps straight up, and it ain't the MM. Its because they know damn well this POS would be as barren as a ghost town, with nought but the occasional butthurt light pilot dropping in to see if they can rofl rollerball-bounce-rebound their way around the skateboard park on Mordor.

Wow, the butt hurt is strong in this one.

Did you get wrecked by a light mech in there?

My win rate on that map is 0.48, and I honestly still think it's the best map designed so far (possible contenders are Crimson Strait, HPG, and Mining Collective.)

Out of the current stable, it's one of the most tactical maps out there.

Here, read this. Might help put things into perspective. Jman5 sure put it in far better words than I ever could.

http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=3145

Edited by IraqiWalker, 30 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#113 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

I like it
I think there needs to be more incentive to visit places other than the middle
Thats my only complaint with TT, but every map develops certain points that ppl think win the best

But thats an issue on all maps

#114 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think its an excellent map. Nothing better than seeing mechs overheat because they can control their fire and/or those super slow assaults getting left behind so the lights can pick them apart.

#115 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostStonefalcon, on 30 September 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Three times in one day I capped Terra Therma bases in assault mode all by myself using ... gasp ... a Dire Wolf. It was nothing short of hilarious. In one of those matches, the enemy decided to trickle in and die one by one. <maniacal :lol: :lol: :lol:>

Edited by Mystere, 30 September 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#116 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

I take this to mean that you are incapable of managing heat and considering alternative tactics to "Take center!"

Frankly, I think Terra Therma is one of PGI's better maps. It's challenging, sure, but that makes it fun. The geography makes for great brawls and maneuvers (unless you're solo pugging, then it's all about the center). We need more like it, but with a somewhat better balance for the solo puggers. The new Mining Collective map is an excellent step in the right direction

If anything, Alpine should be cut. It has the most stale gameplay out of all the maps, and is definitely the most painful to play. At the very least, the summit should be removed from it.

However, as few maps as there are in the rotation, I would argue against the removal of any of them. Just learn to deal with it.

#117 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostKushko, on 30 September 2014 - 05:01 AM, said:

I actually kind of like it. The map i dislike above all others is Alpine. Its unbalanced with its starting positions and does not promote any kind of interesting fights.

100% this.

There is nothing really wrong with Terra Therma and some of my most memorable fights have been on that map. Alpine on the other hand needs to suffer an Orbital Kinetic Weapons strike right on top that damn mountain that completely flattens that stupid dominating high point that absolutely has to be taken and controlled if you want to win the fight. Huge fricken map and 99% of all battle take place in an area even smaller than River City. Total fail map.

#118 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

you cry to loud... What we need is definitely less maps right?

#119 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 30 September 2014 - 04:42 PM, said:

Wow, the butt hurt is strong in this one.

Did you get wrecked by a light mech in there?

My win rate on that map is 0.48, and I honestly still think it's the best map designed so far (possible contenders are Crimson Strait, HPG, and Mining Collective.)

Out of the current stable, it's one of the most tactical maps out there.

Here, read this. Might help put things into perspective. Jman5 sure put it in far better words than I ever could.

http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=3145

Please walker, you should know better than that. Also, its not tactical at all. Its "pick the hallway".

And actually TT is my 3rd best map, with Caustic and Tourmaline tied for firs: W/L = 1.06 for the first two and TT is 1.05

Still doesn't change the fact its a poorly built map with 99 problems, and GetGud is not one of them.

Edited by Hillslam, 30 September 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#120 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

View PostHillslam, on 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Please walker, you should know better than that.

True. I apologize for the earlier remarks.

View PostHillslam, on 30 September 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

99 problems, and GetGud is not one of them.

I need to get this framed. Actually if I could get tattoos (Muslim, can't). I would friggin tattoo this somewhere on my body.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users