I say do a full install instead of upgrade

#102 Night Fury76

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 300 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:57 AM

I did an upgrade to windows 10 and all is well, even got +10 fps.

#103 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

View PostDragoon20005, on 31 July 2015 - 01:31 AM, said:

see that so many issues flying around with Win 10

it is because they rush the Win 10 install when the installer is not ready

Wut?

There's nothing rushed about the installer.....seeing as you can do a fresh full install anyway...

#104 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:42 AM

I haven't had a single issue doing the upgrade install on my laptop (which also has a dedicated Nvidia GPU, another thing people have had problems with). Been running on just the upgraded system for 2 days now and it's been pretty solid so far. Hoping to remain trouble-free.

#105 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 31 July 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

Wut?

There's nothing rushed about the installer.....seeing as you can do a fresh full install anyway...

I think he is referring to people who force the installation of Win10, as opposed to waiting and letting the system do it's thing.

#106 WhisksSpatulasAndOrMathequations

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:50 PM

Short story = Yes! Go for it.
Long story = Do some research first.

I have been running the Windows 10 tech preview since it was available on a bunch of PCs from really old up to a first gen i5. The only issue I found with the tech preview was the C++ did not automatically adjust to the correct version for MWO. Tech preview loaded the newest available and I had to visit the MSDN page to grab an older set. Now that the RTM of Win10 is out and since I had such great luck with it on the older hardware I decided to auto upgrade my Win7. Auto upgrade or overlay via Windows update is the worst thing you can do. However, since I have to answer techy questions all day I just had to try the wrong way first. Slick, fast and very clean. The only issue was my on board sound? Just uninstall anything related to sound from the device manager and reboot and it choose to dumb down my sound to a generic driver. meh? Soon enough I will fish out the correct drivers if available or just wait it out. The proper way to do this upgrade is from DVD. Yes, you can do the flash driver however, older harder is much harder to trick into booting from USB. Here is the official Microsoft Win10 disc builder https://www.microsof...nload/windows10
There is a huge caution for any laptop as you will not be able to swap parts if no drivers are found for your parts. Desktops meh at worst buy a new part as needed. The database on the Windows update service for Win10 is huge. I was able to watch an HP Envy laptop overlay upgrade on day one and it went off without a hitch. Create your disc first. Go out and fish out your own full set of drivers and build that into a disc. Minimum you should keep on a flashdrive or CD would be a network driver not bad to keep a generic videocard driver as well. At least with a network driver you will be able to go fishing on the same computer that is goofing up. Next is create your backups. If you do choose to do the overlay just plan on nuking and paving as soon as possible after. Nuke (format) Pave (fresh install of OS) The Win10 disc creation is for legit owners of Win7 or 8.1 if you have 8.0 just push updates to 8.1 and you are good to go. Fresh install has an extra layer of challenge to over come in that you will have to figure out your product key for Windows **READ this area for FAQ and print this prior to starting your Nuke or you may have a really hard time with activation later. The last thing we ever want to do is be on hold for any sort of tech support. The overlay just looks at the Windows legit file for that key and says hey this is cool and off it goes. I would still look for that key first just in case of a power glitch or whatever that could go wrong. To remain legit if Microsoft refuses to help would be an OEM $130ish for a new Win10 disc so play it safe with the key. Windows 10 has been scaled down. Win8 and 8.1 require 16GB of space for a flashdrive recovery which ends up being a 32GB because some in Microsoft forgot to say make it fit on a 16GB disc not make it 16GB? So you burn half a flash drive for a backup and spend more? So DUH! Win10 is small enough to fit on a single DVD at around 4GB. I had to trick my tech preview copies into running on old hardware but it ran way faster than Vista. I would suggest looking up your model number of laptop to see what others have ran into. Good luck. I really like Win10. Further caution. New UEFI BOIS issues that we faced with Win8 and 8.1? Time to leave legacy booting behind. Win8 gave me a ton of grief. Many laptop manufacturers sat them up in dual mode aahh why? Boot to legacy and back to UEFI and the Win8 got boot manager got all confused what a pain. All Win10 stuff I have played with I never bothered to look into the BOIS stuff. Win8 was like you have to know all this crap to fix me. Win10 is like eehh don't care I will just work. Over the next couple of months I will be working on a ton of laptops since many of them will not have proper security or will be infected so bad they will crash during the overlay upgrade and most users will choose that option. So far it is feeling like my pain will not be as bad as I predicted it would be a month ago. All prior bad versions of Windows woes x 100 or 1000 since this is free and the adds make it look great and Win8 had some hate that carried onto 8.1 Ok starting to ramble off.

#107 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:00 AM

I'm waiting with the upgrade until there's a dx12 game I'd like to play.

In win10 you supposedly can't choose to not install certain windows updates, and one of them is borked on g3258's, something to do with turbo, which the 3258 might (because overclocking) or might not (because pentium) have. It's probably not intel plugging the H81 overclocking, issue on Z boards too.

http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=2441114

#108 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:30 AM

View Post717, on 31 July 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Short story = Yes! Go for it.
Long story = Do some research first.

If you do the upgrade first with a MS account then fresh install using the same MS account you don't need to find the Win 10 product key at all. You can skip that and it will activate itself.

#109 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:31 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 01 August 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

I'm waiting with the upgrade until there's a dx12 game I'd like to play.

In win10 you supposedly can't choose to not install certain windows updates, and one of them is borked on g3258's, something to do with turbo, which the 3258 might (because overclocking) or might not (because pentium) have. It's probably not intel plugging the H81 overclocking, issue on Z boards too.

http://forums.anandt...d.php?t=2441114

They've already released something for the update thing because of initial concerns AFAIK.

So, if you're waiting for a native DX12 game... you're playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for PC with me? I believe that's the first one on the docket.

#110 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 01 August 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

They've already released something for the update thing because of initial concerns AFAIK.

So, if you're waiting for a native DX12 game... you're playing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for PC with me? I believe that's the first one on the docket.

Dunno, never played much gears, also, the pc version doesn't seem to have a release date yet. Coming "later"

#111 Phelan Ward-Kell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

Did a clean install of Win 10 Education edition (I get free stuff through school) and my system has been pretty damn smooth and awesome so far.
Install was quick, boots are solidly fast. No major complaints.
I'm disappointed that the Win 10 Game Bar seems to only work with games that Microsoft has deemed compatible, but what can ya do.

For the record, I actually copied my game folder from Win 8.1 Pro, then installed the launcher and dumped my files (overwriting everything) into the folder in Win 10. As usual, I still had to install the Direct X Runtime (I think it's Dx9, but it never actually says) manually, and the game worked perfectly after that.

My system:

Mobo: Gigabyte Z77X-UP7
CPU: Core i7-3770K
Drives: 2x OCZ Agility 60GB SSDs in RAID 0; 1x WD 1TB Black w/64MB cache
RAM: 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz (4x8GB sticks)
GPU: eVGA GTX 670 Superclocked+ w/4GB VRAM

No slouch either way, but far from the newest on the market either.

#112 Paladin00

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 30 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationStafford, UK

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Works on mine, even speeded it up a bit... not had any rubberbanding or other problems yet

#113 Windschreiter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:33 AM

worked perfectly for me.

Got some FPS boost of roughly 10% on an AMD A8 7600.

Running 64 Bit client.

#114 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 05 August 2015 - 06:58 AM

Updated few days ago up to Win10, lost 10 maximum FPS in MWO, but gained more stable average. Overall it's a gain in performance.

#115 Kaleb Ravenborn

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

I can not for the life of me get MWO to run on Win 10.

GTX 980 (driver 353.62)
i7-5930k
32 GB DDR 4 (its a lot I know but it was free)
2560x1440 @60Hz

Upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit.

I uninstalled and did a clean install and still nothing. And for some reason it is the only game I play that constantly gets the UAC pop up.

#116 ExplodedZombie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 338 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA, U.S.A.

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

I switched to Windows 10 and MWO looks like garbage. Not sure why but the text and UI elements are all squished and hard to read. The text is terrible.

:(

#117 Pumbah

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostKaleb Ravenborn, on 07 August 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I can not for the life of me get MWO to run on Win 10. GTX 980 (driver 353.62) i7-5930k 32 GB DDR 4 (its a lot I know but it was free) 2560x1440 @60Hz Upgraded from Win7 Pro 64bit to Win 10 Pro 64 bit. I uninstalled and did a clean install and still nothing. And for some reason it is the only game I play that constantly gets the UAC pop up.

Kaleb, have you set the .exe to run as "Administrator" ? Right click on the icon to run the game, select Properties, Compatibility Tab, then click "Run this program as an Administrator".

Ridiculous, but it works. On Win 7. Hopefully theres a Win 10 version.

After reading the forum posted above, I think I'm gonna wait a bit to pgrade to Win 10.

I have the i5, 8 gb, MSI GTX970, ASUS Z97, Samsung 128gb SSD and G35 headphones.

Edited by Pumbah, 08 August 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#118 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

Rule of thumb: do NOT upgrade to a new version of your OS as soon as it comes out because it'll have bugs. After a year, either most of the bugs will have been fixed or the new OS will have been revealed to be garbage (both have happened before) and you can decide at that point whether to upgrade or not.

#119 Henry Buzz Gerber

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 39 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Location(london uk)

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

running windows 10 no problem so see you on the battlefield MechWarrior.

#120 Hans Davion

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

AHHHHHHH just upgraded to windows 10, now when i click play in the patcher it gives me

unsupported graphics card detected! "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" [vendor id = 0x1414, device id = 0x8080c]

then it just lags on the connecting screen and never gets to mechlab.
im using a gtx770m, always worked like a charm on windows 8.1 - i dont want to do a full reinstall of windows :(

Ive updated teh driver to windows 10, even right clicked the mwo.exe and clicked "run with graphics processor" and then chose the 770m which was set to default anyway :((((((((

HELP

AHHHHHHH just upgraded to windows 10, now when i click play in the patcher it gives me

unsupported graphics card detected! "Microsoft Basic Render Driver" [vendor id = 0x1414, device id = 0x8080c]

im using a gtx770m, always worked like a charm on windows 8.1 - i dont want to do a full reinstall of windows :(

Ive updated teh driver to windows 10, even right clicked the mwo.exe and clicked "run with graphics processor" and then chose the 770m which was set to default anyway :((((((((

HELP

HELP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users