158 replies to this topic

#21 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostIdalgos, on 06 October 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

Well, for strange reasons where will be no Windows 9, they jumped straight to 10. http://betanews.com/...0-presentation.

Latest reason I've heard is because there's such a rampant commonplace data-check when it comes to Windows versions:

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else {

As a result, Microsoft has decided to avoid that conflict alltogether. Honestly, given the number of MS Certified programmers I know, I believe it...

Ref: http://www.cnet.com/...-it-windows-10/

#22 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Those with more cores generally DO have better performance, so... yeah, that's definitely not right. People with i7s are generally getting better performance than those with i5s at similar/same clocks. One of the bigger factors I've seen is the architecture itself. It seems like Haswell chips particularly excel in this game. Clock speed does matter, too, but I've seen no difference beyond 3.8GhZ on my 5820K (I'm GPU bound, though, so I can't reliably test this), and on Sandy Bridge I didn't see any difference beyond 4.4GhZ. Based on the overall IPC boosts between SB and HW, these should be about equivalent, but my 6 core/12 thread chip gets way better minimum FPS than my 4 core/8 thread chip did.

Will a dual core be the worst experience ever? No. Clock that thing as high as it will go and you'll probably be happy. Does that mean you shouldn't consider an upgrade in the future? No. More cores and more cache never hurts. I'm not sure how well that dual-core will clock, so I can't really tell you how well it will do in MWO, but I can almost guarantee that the CPU-intensive graphics settings will not be set at Very High if you want a consistent 60fps.

Out of curiosity I did a run with settings maxed out, minus antialiasing. Dropped on mordor.

Average fps was about 60, minimum was 38. Was expecticting way worse, it's actually quite playable.

#23 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:03 AM

You can feel free to enable antialiasing. Post-AA only taxes the GPU (at least afaik), and only to such a minimal degree that your GPU wouldn't even notice. It would not amount to an entire frame per second.

Edited by Catamount, 06 October 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#24 bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Back to the OP's look at improving game performance(beyond the Win10 question), you mentioned the overwhelming joy of getting a GTX970, and later upgrading the system. Have you checked to make sure that your current system will actually handle it? The best graphics card in the world won't do you a lick of good if everything else bottlenecks it. That means CPU, MB and Ram. Might want to mention what you currently have, cause you might be better off going the reverse route of what you are planning and getting the CPU\MB updated and getting the GPU upgrade later to get the best bang for your buck with MWO. (other games will obviously as already mentioned vary)

#25 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostCatamount, on 06 October 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

You can feel free to enable antialiasing. Post-AA only taxes the GPU (at least afaik), and only to such a minimal degree that your GPU wouldn't even notice. It would not amount to an entire frame per second.

Postprocessing antialiasing is not antialiasing. I'd turn on msaa or tsaa, but last time I tried it it borked heatvision.

Edited by Flapdrol, 06 October 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#26 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Windows 10 basically just a shinied up version of 8.1, so yes MWO will run just fine.

Been messing with the preview at work... start menu is back but I find I don't even use it any more, but that will be nice for those who go right from Windows 7. You can have multiple "desktops" which you can switch between, or apparently tile across monitors. Strange but could be useful. "Metro" apps can now be run in a window. Which is a great addition.

but yea, don't bother with the preview for actual OS. Get 8.1 for now, and upgrade to 10 will be cheap in the future if the past is anything to go by.

And, everyone knows the reason they went to Windows 10 is because....

7 ate 9.

.... "that's the joke!"

Edited by cSand, 06 October 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#27 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 08:21 AM, said:

Postprocessing antialiasing is not antialiasing. I'd turn on msaa or tsaa, but last time I tried it it borked heatvision.

I'm not sure I follow. Post-processing antialiasing isn't like other methods of AA, anymore than MSAA is like SSAA, but it still fits any definition of the term.

Also you did turn off hardware acceleration in flash, right? That's probably the number one cause of vision mode problems.

#28 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Out of curiosity I did a run with settings maxed out, minus antialiasing. Dropped on mordor.

Average fps was about 60, minimum was 38. Was expecticting way worse, it's actually quite playable.

thankyou verymuch!

well i was wondering what is you gpu? any possibilities that it is GPU bounded?

#29 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

You're at , what was it, 4.5GhZ? At 3.8GhZ my 6 cores/12 threads on the same basic architecture nets a minimum in the 50s with a GTX 660 Ti. Assuming you have a comparable (or better) GPU than I do, that basically already shows the difference more cores makes with MWO. Considering I like to play brawler most of the time, minimum FPS is a little more important. Also, there are definitely other maps (like River City) that are more taxing, and if you didn't drop in an actual game then there is also less processing to be done (read that: the CPU has more free cycles when you drop in testing grounds).

Either way, I never said it would be unplayable. I only said that with that CPU the OP won't get 60+ fps all of the time with everything cranked.

#30 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my machine today and the first couple of matches of MWO went smooth. It's a small sample but the first impression is good. Not worse than 8.1 at least(which ran also smooth for me). I use DX9 for MWO, and did so with 8.1, because the DX11 implementation seems crappy to me. I'll give DX11 a try with Win10, though. The whole reason I installed it was because in another game's forum people wrote about performance improvements in DX11 with Win10 TP. I *did* install Windows 8.1 drivers for my GFX card which might or might not be a factor for a good experience.

I'll post an update when I played more.

By the by wasn't this thread about Windows 10 in contrast to general performance estimation based on incomplete computer specifications?

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 06 October 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#31 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

Either way, I never said it would be unplayable. I only said that with that CPU the OP won't get 60+ fps all of the time with everything cranked.

No cpu will do 60 fps with everything cranked, jimbob's 8 core haswell dropped under 40 with everything on high.

And don't worry, I wouldn't even think of dropping on testing grounds.

Edited by Flapdrol, 06 October 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#32 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

In a week or two ill be doing a test of exactly this.

I'm waiting on a mobo and pentium K to be delivered.

So your setup minus the GPU which will be a cranked up 560 ti 448

#33 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

View Postbane, on 06 October 2014 - 08:07 AM, said:

Back to the OP's look at improving game performance(beyond the Win10 question), you mentioned the overwhelming joy of getting a GTX970, and later upgrading the system. Have you checked to make sure that your current system will actually handle it? The best graphics card in the world won't do you a lick of good if everything else bottlenecks it. That means CPU, MB and Ram. Might want to mention what you currently have, cause you might be better off going the reverse route of what you are planning and getting the CPU\MB updated and getting the GPU upgrade later to get the best bang for your buck with MWO. (other games will obviously as already mentioned vary)

Right now I have a Clevo labtop with i7 4700mq, 16 gb ram, and HD8970M (about the power of desktop card amd HD 7850~7870) .

runs 1080P well, but i have a 2560 1440P right now and was having fun with that..... so smoothgameplay means most of the setting low......not cool......... It is mostly GPU bounded in my labtop as most low setting have good 60 framerate+ and seldom drops below 50 where as if all high.... but might be cpu bounded cause the max clock rate of my cpu is 3.4 ghz.......

wanting to build my first pc. I like the joys of upgrading, almost more then playing the game itself. At first I wanted to wait for the release of 20nm GPU and 14nm CPU, or even wait for the release of LGA1151 for skylake before building an rig, but it means i have to wait another year or two and the anticipation is killing me. all i do is check computers parts and news on a daily basis, so I just want to build a computer and get it over and done with.

also as for my lifestyle I am going to have progressively less spare time over the next few years so I though i could start on components with value oriented and go for the best once a new generation of hardware is released....

but yes, I think the bottleneck of my build right now is the CPU, as I think i will get a z97 and 8 ish ddr3 ram as well as a good PSU. as for GTX 970, i think it handles mwo at 2560 1440 well enough...... or i could wait for another half year for the posibilly R9 3XX that might be 20nm. but then.......>_<

BTW, MY 1440P cheap korean IPS only has the refresh rate of 60, so anything more is overkill for me....

for some reason i am really fond of the G3258............... I just want to overclock it with joy........ cause i know if i get a i7 or i5 4690K, it would not be worthwhile to upgrade to BROADWELL when the 14nm GOODIES cameout......

I think i am becoming a computer shopiholic ................ D:

Edited by cheapcamper, 06 October 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#34 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

No cpu will do 60 fps with everything cranked, jimbob's 8 core haswell dropped under 40 with everything on high.

He's also running 5760x1200 and MWO doesn't have SLI support. I can pretty guarantee if I grab a GTX 980 and put my CPU at 4GhZ (which, from 3.8GhZ right now, will be pretty easy) I can net minimums above 60fps at 1920x1080 (the most-used resolution for gaming still).

#35 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 06 October 2014 - 08:57 AM, said:

YOU SIR! HATS OFF TO YOU!

THERE IS NO WAY I COULD SHOW MY GRATITUDE for HELPING OUT A FELLOW MECHWARRIOR in NEED!

YOU JUST AWESOME MATE!

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

He's also running 5760x1200 and MWO doesn't have SLI support. I can pretty guarantee if I grab a GTX 980 and put my CPU at 4GhZ (which, from 3.8GhZ right now, will be pretty easy) I can net minimums above 60fps at 1920x1080 (the most-used resolution for gaming still).

you know you want it...................#upgradtisftw

Edited by cheapcamper, 06 October 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#36 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:20 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 06 October 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview on my machine today and the first couple of matches of MWO went smooth. It's a small sample but the first impression is good. Not worse than 8.1 at least(which ran also smooth for me). I use DX9 for MWO, and did so with 8.1, because the DX11 implementation seems crappy to me. I'll give DX11 a try with Win10, though. The whole reason I installed it was because in another game's forum people wrote about performance improvements in DX11 with Win10 TP. I *did* install Windows 8.1 drivers for my GFX card which might or might not be a factor for a good experience.

I'll post an update when I played more.

By the by wasn't this thread about Windows 10 in contrast to general performance estimation based on incomplete computer specifications?

awesome! not tier-5 awesome but awesome awesome! please keep us posted!

#37 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

you know you want it...................#upgradtisftw

I do, but they're out of stock pretty much everywhere and I have some monetary priorities now that I've built my X99 system. GPU upgrades will be in 2015 when Nvidia shows us what else Maxwell can do.

#38 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 06 October 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

In a week or two ill be doing a test of exactly this.

I'm waiting on a mobo and pentium K to be delivered.

So your setup minus the GPU which will be a cranked up 560 ti 448

I see what you did there :P THUMBS UP!

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 09:21 AM, said:

I do, but they're out of stock pretty much everywhere and I have some monetary priorities now that I've built my X99 system. GPU upgrades will be in 2015 when Nvidia shows us what else Maxwell can do.

There is a reason why mankind can survive on one kidney yet they have two :lol: JK!

#39 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

I see what you did there :P THUMBS UP!

There is a reason why mankind can survive on one kidney yet they have two :lol: JK!

Trying to decide between using a corsair H80 on the cpu or a cheaper air cooler and using the H80 on the 560ti 448 and see how far I can push that GPU

#40 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Isnt Windows 10 also called 'Just Shut Up and Give Us Your Money and No-One Gets Hurt!"?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users