158 replies to this topic

#41 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 06 October 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Trying to decide between using a corsair H80 on the cpu or a cheaper air cooler and using the H80 on the 560ti 448 and see how far I can push that GPU

is the h80 of any good?

I am still thinking should i get a watercooler or just use the stockone........ or should i grab a cheap airone......

also i want to get a small form factor case at first but there are so much goodies i could do in a mid tower.....THE PAIN!!!

#42 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

What the hell Microsoft/Windows? That kind of sounds like the same mentality children (and some adults) use when describing different colored M&M candies where a certain color just doesn't taste as good as the rest..

View PostRushin Roulette, on 06 October 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

I guess MS is reacting to the view of Users saying that every second Windows version is junk (Win 95, ME and Vista im looking at you)... so to fix the problem they are leaving out every second windows version to see if this fixes the problem :P .

#43 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

which is why thats probably not MS's reasoning

The coding explanation makes a lot more sense.

Edited by Catamount, 06 October 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#44 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

Probably somewhere in the world the 9 is a bad omen....

#45 Comrademig

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 09:10 AM, said:

Right now I have a Clevo labtop with i7 4700mq, 16 gb ram, and HD8970M (about the power of desktop card amd HD 7850~7870) .

runs 1080P well, but i have a 2560 1440P right now and was having fun with that..... so smoothgameplay means most of the setting low......not cool......... It is mostly GPU bounded in my labtop as most low setting have good 60 framerate+ and seldom drops below 50 where as if all high.... but might be cpu bounded cause the max clock rate of my cpu is 3.4 ghz.......

wanting to build my first pc. I like the joys of upgrading, almost more then playing the game itself. At first I wanted to wait for the release of 20nm GPU and 14nm CPU, or even wait for the release of LGA1151 for skylake before building an rig, but it means i have to wait another year or two and the anticipation is killing me. all i do is check computers parts and news on a daily basis, so I just want to build a computer and get it over and done with.

also as for my lifestyle I am going to have progressively less spare time over the next few years so I though i could start on components with value oriented and go for the best once a new generation of hardware is released....

but yes, I think the bottleneck of my build right now is the CPU, as I think i will get a z97 and 8 ish ddr3 ram as well as a good PSU. as for GTX 970, i think it handles mwo at 2560 1440 well enough...... or i could wait for another half year for the posibilly R9 3XX that might be 20nm. but then.......>_<

BTW, MY 1440P cheap korean IPS only has the refresh rate of 60, so anything more is overkill for me....

for some reason i am really fond of the G3258............... I just want to overclock it with joy........ cause i know if i get a i7 or i5 4690K, it would not be worthwhile to upgrade to BROADWELL when the 14nm GOODIES cameout......

I think i am becoming a computer shopiholic ................ D:

I got my G3258 while I wait for money to upgrade, its such a good cpu to overclock. I'm sitting at 4.7 without a problem and I think I'll be able to push to 4.8.

#46 cheapcamper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostComrademig, on 06 October 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I got my G3258 while I wait for money to upgrade, its such a good cpu to overclock. I'm sitting at 4.7 without a problem and I think I'll be able to push to 4.8.

GREAT!

sooooo........ stock cooler? or other cooler?

and how is performance in MWO?

Thankyou!

#47 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 06 October 2014 - 09:11 AM, said:

He's also running 5760x1200 and MWO doesn't have SLI support. I can pretty guarantee if I grab a GTX 980 and put my CPU at 4GhZ (which, from 3.8GhZ right now, will be pretty easy) I can net minimums above 60fps at 1920x1080 (the most-used resolution for gaming still).

I thought you had 52 fps minimum on your fraps run, that would mean you need 4.4 GHz

I'm running a gtx 670, also 1920x1080, when I drop to 40 fps the gpu use drops to 50%, your 660 Ti isn't that far below, so I reckon your drops to 50 fps are still cpu limited, so I wouldn't hurry upgrading for this game.

#48 Comrademig

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

GREAT!

sooooo........ stock cooler? or other cooler?

and how is performance in MWO?

Thankyou!

I have a H100i but the voltage isn't too high either so it might be able to manage with a lower end cooler like a 212 hyper evo.
http://imgur.com/a/3GmZA

I used to have it at 4.5 @ 1.2v, which might be managable with a stock cooler, but Ive never tried it.

I do pretty well for performance, I have settings mostly on high and I don't drop too far past 50 unless its lrm spam where i might get 35 if its really bad, usually I'm at 60.

Edit: I run a 7950 gpu

Edited by Comrademig, 06 October 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#49 bane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

View Postcheapcamper, on 06 October 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

is the h80 of any good?

I am still thinking should i get a watercooler or just use the stockone........ or should i grab a cheap airone......

also i want to get a small form factor case at first but there are so much goodies i could do in a mid tower.....THE PAIN!!!

I recently bought an H60 and put it onto a i5-2500k, temps don't go over 40 and it's overclocked to 4.2ghz without actually messing with things. Seeing how well the all-in-one watercoolers perform, I don't see using a stock or air cooler again.

#50 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 06 October 2014 - 10:05 AM, said:

What the hell Microsoft/Windows? That kind of sounds like the same mentality children (and some adults) use when describing different colored M&M candies where a certain color just doesn't taste as good as the rest..

ermm... that wasnt meant too seriously you know? ;)

Apart from that maybe MS doesnt want problems on the Japaneese market

Quoted from Wikipedia @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(number)
Japanese culture
  • The Japanese consider nine to be unlucky because in Japanese the word for nine sounds similar to the word for "pain" or "distress" (, kyū)

P. S. The Yellow M&Ms taste the best :P

#51 soulfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

Most likely we wont see win 10 tell mid to late next year and even then not all drivers will be up to snuff shall we say . Just because it will be new doesn't always mean it will be the best either. By the time it does come out graphic cards will probably go through two hardware cycles. main cpu's one. Larger faster solid state drives and the like.
What you may want to do is upgrade your existing system for now and when you get closer to win 10 date then build your optimal system. Another way is just build the best you an afford but remember your system will be outdated before win 10 comes out.
Smart way to look at things is look at coming trends, example is I am betting next year we will start moving on to higher res monitors. Now these have been around for a couple of years but only tell recently are their prices coming down thanks in most part to the big TV's. All those pixels will need even better graphic cards to push them to acceptable frame rates. Solid-state drives will continue to get larger, cheaper, most likely come to a point where you would only use the mechanical disc hds for back up and storage. Example is you want to transfer all your dvds to computer you'd put them on your mechanical hd no need for them to be on solid-state drive.So think about what you want to do with you computer,since it takes a couple of years for games to be made at least look to see specs on coming games..like star citizen and others.

#52 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

So I did run the Technical Preview of Windows 10 on my machine and finished Elite Tiers for 2 of my Ravens with it. While I had some serious stuttering on DX11 on some maps(FX-8350,AMD R9-270, 16gb DDR3@1600mhz) with Win8.1, this stuttering is gone with Win10. I moved MWO from my physical HDD to my SSD but I can crank it up to DX11 Very High instead of running it on Medium DX9.

So far Windows 10 seems more of a UI Update more than anything else, the only thing Windows won't let me run, not even install, is my Security Suite. Conclusively I'd say Windows 10 is a streamlined Windows 8, which gets rid of the metro interface and full-sized apps. I'll probably keep the technical preview until is released and pretty surely will migrate to it.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 08 October 2014 - 04:32 AM.

#53 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 08 October 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

So I did run the Technical Preview of Windows 10 on my machine and finished Elite Tiers for 2 of my Ravens with it. While I had some serious stuttering on DX11 on some maps(FX-8350,AMD R9-270, 16gb DDR3@1600mhz) with Win8.1, this stuttering is gone with Win10. I moved MWO from my physical HDD to my SSD but I can crank it up to DX11 Very High instead of running it on Medium DX9.

So far Windows 10 seems more of a UI Update more than anything else, the only thing Windows won't let me run, not even install, is my Security Suite. Conclusively I'd say Windows 10 is a streamlined Windows 8, which gets rid of the metro interface and full-sized apps. I'll probably keep the technical preview until is released and pretty surely will migrate to it.

You're really tempting me to migrate over to Windows 10 for my primary recreational OS (Keep 7 or use Ubuntu for critical work). Sure, I'll have to deal with the occasional problem, but 99% of my computer use is entirely not threatened by the occasional crash.

#54 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:48 AM

View PostCatamount, on 08 October 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

You're really tempting me to migrate over to Windows 10 for my primary recreational OS (Keep 7 or use Ubuntu for critical work). Sure, I'll have to deal with the occasional problem, but 99% of my computer use is entirely not threatened by the occasional crash.

If you're bandwidth is good just give it a try or try to set it up on multiboot.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 08 October 2014 - 06:49 AM.

#55 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Postk05h3lk1n, on 08 October 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

Security suite causing the stutter? (had that problem before).

Anyway, I've installed the tech preview on a secondary machine, I could test some, but I can't imagine it performing differently than 8.1 in anything. Start menu is better than startscreen though, got some other ui improvements too.

Edited by Flapdrol, 08 October 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#56 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:20 AM

Windows has consistently trended upwards in performance with each release, not by leaps and bounds, but at least by decent increments, with basically every release save Vista. W7 benchmarked slightly faster than XP on both of my machines at the time (and laughably faster than Vista), W8/8.1 similarly beat 7, and Windows 10 has been expected for a long time to similarly be a little sleeker and quicker than 8.1.

I would be shocked if I couldn't milk additional performance out by preferencing it over 8.1, if not night and day differences.

Edited by Catamount, 08 October 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#57 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

I can say "yes" with knowledge that Windows 10 runs MWO just fine.

#58 RomeoMustDie

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Yes, why not.

#59 Fakirzoran

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationTerra/North America/Spokane

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

Actually you can get a advanced copy from what I understand at MSFT for Windows 10

#60 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostCatamount, on 08 October 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

There are sill problems some programs will flat out refuse to install like CPU Z or Hw monitor.

I had to download the windows 8 versions from 3rd party sites and even then they don't function correctly.

Cpuz errors on load and doesn't display all the information it should.

HW only displays my HDD temps not the cpu etc
Like above I couldn't get Bitdefender to install either so using AVG.

So when I do my little science project at the weekend I'm going to have to downgrade to 8 to run the benchmarks and monitors

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users