174 replies to this topic

#81 Boris Javorina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 113 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

... are active player numbers so bad that a step like this is necessary?

#82 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:09 AM

This is a terrible Idea. Me and my unit just want to shoot people. We don't want to chase in endless circles for resources, and we definitely don't want to try and capture someones base. I can tell you already that Exit Match or Alt + F4 will be our new favorite game modes.

Russ the community wants Community Warfare. We don't wan't anything else at the moment.

#83 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 06 October 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

But...Russ put up the poll, and the community gave its answer. It wasn't unilateral.

It was weird too, given that most folks voted yes to wanting this, yet almost everyone who posted said no.

#84 Sardauker Legion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDropship Litany of Fury, Draconis Combinate, covert ops

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:30 AM

What's so difficult in "simply NOT interested"?

Conquest needs a different set of config from both Assault / Skirmish.
I want to play what i want, and will DISCO from skirmish ALWAYS.

Please remember, you are working FOR us, not AGAINST us!!!

#85 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

I'd rather see work be put into finding a way to get more varied mech classes and mech variants in play before this. That is was is really lacking in the game right now.

All the modes might be a bit more fun if it wasn't 10 mechs wandering around at 70kph with a .

Go back and force 3/3/3/3. People either wait to play the mech they really really want OR they choose something else and still have fun.

#86 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

View Postplodder, on 06 October 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

P.s those that run missle boats(massive amounts of lrm without any other"serious weapons") to avoid battle, are like cattle crossed with a herd of turtles, hurtling at what they cannot see, I think they sit down to..see...

Not talking about lrms incorporated into a mech, talking about a mech incorporate to an lrm.

Some lurmers are artists with skill, but can still kick and take names in a brawl with their LRM machine, but I know few of them.

Since I am not an lrm fella, I was not aware they prized some maps so high. Is it the same for game mode?

Maps favor mech builds as much as game modes.

Speeds is useful in general, but helps a lot in Conquest.

AMS and ECM is extra important in Assault.

Skirmish rewards pure firepower.

Caustic is great for LRMs as there's very little useful cover.

Alpine favors long range mechs.

River City and Frozen city favor brawling builds.

Just to name a few.

#87 CGB Behemoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 418 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

Maybe PGI should make some interesting gamemodes other than this stupid selection system?

I don't like Conquest, so why should i play it? How about free will PGI? It is 21st century guys not 18th!!!

#88 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:44 AM

Nobody asked for this and surely nobody wants this... I mean nobody wants to be forced to play a game mode they dont want to play, especially with limited time to enjoy gaming etc.

Nobody wants the freedom of choice we have been given (to select modes we are willing to play) to be taken away from them.

How can it be Russ at the townhall meetings agrees he doesnt like UI 2.0 at all, admits to being wrong about forcing 3PV etc and now Russ is forcing this on the playerbase? I thought we (and Russ) had moved past this stage of removing choice and not giving players what they want?

And oh my could this mechanism have been made more convoluted if you tried?

#89 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

For me this is a lot of shrug so what.

Its your game, and while I would prefer all modes a appear in open pug games, if one is favoured more than the others and make MWO dull i'll find something else to do.

Only one thing I will say that bothers me..

Maps when the campaign game starts should not be voted on they, should be dictated to by what the planet is, not by any form of voting system, but a completely locked set of maps.

This shouldn't need explaining why, but for those that need it..

if your fighting over an ice planet, its not going to look like Terra therma, and a heavily vulcanic planet without a breathable atmosphere isn't going to be full of woodland.

Now these conditions might change over millions of years but in the time scale of the game the ecology or each planet simply won't change, unless its nuked .into oblivion that no life could be supported

#90 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:56 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 06 October 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

The only gripe I have with conquest mode is that, according to my stats, the rewards on average are 20k C-Bills less than assault.

Strangely enough, I have the exact opposite stat.

#91 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

View Postjozkhan, on 07 October 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Nobody asked for this and surely nobody wants this
About 80% of the community voted for it.

We'll see if it leads to better games, but I'm afraid it will lead to more Disconnecting at the drop :(

I enjoy them all (probably enjoy Skirmish the least). What I dislike are the maps for some game modes. River City (either) on Assault is just bad. Tourmaline's start points on anything but Assault are strange and too spread out. What bugs me more is that sometimes you simply want to play a particular game mode (maybe it's team practice, or you're trying out a build for a game mode), but now you can't do that.

#92 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

I am sort of coming around to the idea, but if you do this, you need to give Capture Accelerator a secondary function.

#93 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:33 AM

I believe this is a decent idea, however there are a lot of things that need to be done before even thinking about implementing this.

First and foremost: more game modes. The mode voting function should definitely not be implemented before we've got 5 or 6 different modes at least. Having 2 that are essentially the same with one outlier that is far less popular means implementing this now will just lose players and cause community outrage (which, in case you haven't noticed, has contributed to PGI's less than stellar image).

Second: if this is going to be implemented, it would probably be best to wait until map voting can also be implemented. The logic behind this is simple: a single new feature set being implemented makes the public say "this was nicely thought out" where every time you add a little snippet of something and say "we'll elaborate in the future" the public says "this game is a patchwork quilt and I'm not sure I trust the developers to keep things steady".

Third: there needs to be better role implementation. Before we start voting on the mode and the map, we need to know that we can play a certain role in a strategy. Right now, MWO is "you dropped here, now fight with everything that shows a red marker". Defining a scout role, support role, front line role, etc will play into voting strategy.

Now, a little more feedback: I think the best way to do voting is not to select ahead of time what a players preferences are, but rather build a lobby with the matchmaker, show the players who their opponents are (obviously keep the mechs hidden), and then have a mode and map vote. If you've ever played Halo Reach, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

#94 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostBront, on 07 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

About 80% of the 1500 people that voted said yes.

Just to give a hint on how much this vote is really saying: Teh heavy Mech poll has about 4000 votes.

The thread that had the vote had a badly chosen title and might have been ignored by a lot of people, plus didn't really say much beyond that we'd give up the guarantee to get the gamemode we activated for getting better and faster elo matching.

If anything then now after most of the community is aware of what exactly is planned and that there is anything planned at all there should be another poll and it only should be closed if at least 5000 votes were gathered.

If all I know about maths holds true the outcome shouldn't change much, but casting a poll again will go miles to shutting up those that say they weren't asked or that only the vocal minority said yes to it while the silent majority didn't get heard. It's hard to come with those arguments when there were two actual votes on the topic.

Edited by Jason Parker, 07 October 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#95 Sandtiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 262 posts
  • LocationVernal Utah

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

View PostBront, on 07 October 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

We'll see if it leads to better games, but I'm afraid it will lead to more Disconnecting at the drop :(

I enjoy them all (probably enjoy Skirmish the least). What I dislike are the maps for some game modes. River City (either) on Assault is just bad. Tourmaline's start points on anything but Assault are strange and too spread out. What bugs me more is that sometimes you simply want to play a particular game mode (maybe it's team practice, or you're trying out a build for a game mode), but now you can't do that.

Sorry Brother. Not trying to seem argumentative. However, 80% of the gaming community doesn't post on the forums. (this is exaggerated of course because I am not aware of the actual percentage of players that are active on the forums)

I can tell you with precision that all of my battle buddies don't post on the forums. They leave that to me. I dare say that most of the gaming community on MWO doesn't post. So, I think it would be accurate to say that 80% of the people who voted on this (or should I say knew of its existence, because I certainly didn't) are only a small part of a much larger community. =]

Cheers!

#96 Agelmar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:53 AM

MWO Playerbase: "OMG MM is broken!"
PGI: "MM could do better if people were more flexible with game modes"
MWO Playerbase:"OMG DO IT #PGIPLS"
PGI: "Here is how voting (ranking) will work."
MWO Playerbase: "OMG YOU CAN'T FORCE ME TO PLAY GAME MODES I DON'T WANT!"

I'd bring up the community poll on the topic but I'm too lazy. But a voting system won in a landslide to narrow the ELO gap in drops. Ya'll be whiners.

#97 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostSandtiger, on 07 October 2014 - 07:42 AM, said:

Sorry Brother. Not trying to seem argumentative. However, 80% of the gaming community doesn't post on the forums. (this is exaggerated of course because I am not aware of the actual percentage of players that are active on the forums)

I can tell you with precision that all of my battle buddies don't post on the forums. They leave that to me. I dare say that most of the gaming community on MWO doesn't post. So, I think it would be accurate to say that 80% of the people who voted on this (or should I say knew of its existence, because I certainly didn't) are only a small part of a much larger community. =]

Cheers!

I'm well aware of that. The vote still was 80/20 for those that did vote, and that's why we're getting this.

#98 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Look, the problem we voiced as a community is that matchmaker is serving us unbalanced matches, either skill or tonnage, and the easiest fix is to open up the game modes to a broader player base. A lot of players do this today by selecting all game modes. I personally do this even though I hate Assault and am "blah" about Skirmish, but I do this because I want to support the community and have better matched games. Part of being in a community is participating in it, and part of participating is making sacrifices for everyone's good. PGI feels this is a good possible fix to our number one complaint. So now it's on us, are we flexible enough to help ourselves?

Yes, some of you paid money to play this game. I've paid quite a bit myself, but paying to play isn't paying to own the game. You are not the Monarch of MWO; I know because I'm not either. You are a player just like everyone else, and you need everyone else to play with. That's what makes us a community and lets this game be enjoyable and as part of the community you have a voice in what direction MWO goes, even if you're not in the majority.

Ultimately, if you're out voiced then you have 2 options; continue to support the community because there are still parts of the game you enjoy, or leave because there's nothing left for you. If you can't find any reason to continue playing the game over a single change then why are you playing now? Is the game only keeping you around because of a single feature? Look inside yourselves and really think about it. Are you here for the free lunch or are you here because you like this game and you want to support the community.

I know where my vote is: supporting this community.

With that said if we do go to game mode voting I'd like to see more game modes.

Cheers,
Mitsuragi

Edited by Mitsuragi, 07 October 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#99 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostNaduk, on 07 October 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

while the rest of the fan base is desperate for a solution

The "rest of the fanbase" will continue to find something to blame for their constant losses. Before the MM it were the Clans, before that it were groups, before that it were Gauss-, Boom-, and Splatcats, before that it was again the MM. And so on and on and on.

I voted against that system in the poll. I don't blame the matchmaker for a loss. I'm fully aware that the matchmaker is unable to guarantee an even matchup every time. The problem isn't the matchmaker, its the game itself.

#100 Jabbershark

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

[color=#959494]Lame... we got a choice to exclude a game mode and now we are back to random selections. I just want to pick my mode and my map... is this too much to ask. If you are scared a particular map or game mode would not be selected then my advise is take a serious look at why no one likes the map or game mode. Somethings are such a pain in the ass with this game sometimes. [/color]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users