174 replies to this topic

#61 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

map voting, wow sound sinitially great, but not sure about this at all, will we vote for night and snow maps too? because then night maps may be deserted or done by ecm mechs by the gfact of being invisible above the heat or night vision distance, snow maps filled with energyboats, terra therma empty. At least maps will be filled with newbies who do not know about the selection options and come with the wrong loadout.

#62 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

EZ PZ, The very few times I want to run conquest only (light pilot who wants to take a break from Cannon Fodder Simulator 2014) I'll just do "aggressive scouting" if I get something not conquest and go play (and pay for) something else. I've said it before: ENCOURAGE PEOPLE HELPING THE MATCHMAKER BY GIVING THEM C-BILLS/XP/MC FOR DOING SO! You don't listen - I do "aggressive scouting".

Edited by Evil Ed, 07 October 2014 - 12:14 AM.

#63 Ghostwolfe

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:05 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 06 October 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I guess this is one way to deal with low player numbers. :rolleyes:

Is there anyway we can see how many people actually play this game like other games out there?

#64 Kirtanus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 156 posts
  • LocationRDL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:07 AM

I like current system where i can choose prefered modes. i don't play conquest often and don't want to be forced play it against my choice. Sometimes i choose light and play it with pleasure but voting seems extra-feature like 3PV. Not too bad thing but spending dev resources on it seems not fair for main players base.

#65 drinniol

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:19 AM

On the topic of 12-mans quitting - count them towards the K/D and W/L if it's not already. Sure you can quit and I'll have a whale of a time practicing headshots.

#66 QuaxDerBruchpilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 319 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:19 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 06 October 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

Voting for a game mode should only apply to those players who select "ALL" then.

Well if everyone selects "ALL" this hardly can be said to be a vote ....

#67 M0rpHeu5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 956 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:23 AM

Good, now let's see how it goes

Edited by M0rpHeu5, 07 October 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#68 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:31 AM

I'll quit every Conquest game the matchmaker puts me in because of this voting system.

#69 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:36 AM

Looks interesting, I want to see how it works out

#70 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:46 AM

honestly, I'd rather just have the ability to pick a gametype removed than this.

#71 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

For some reason I forsee a lot more people hiding and powering down in Skermish once they have the opportunity to say "I never chose skermish mode" and therefore feel justified about it.

#72 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

View PostGhostwolfe, on 07 October 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

Is there anyway we can see how many people actually play this game like other games out there?

By the sheer amount of clan mechs I saw on the first days after their release as well as the ranks I went through in the leaderboard of this challenge I can tell that player numbers is nowhere near the problem some here think it is.

I think further softening up the constraints the MM has to consider is a good way to go. The 3x4 debacle showed pretty well that too many hard constraints simply break the MM. Not to say that 3x4 was a bad idea from the start, in theory and in the little practice I've seen it actually worked great, but you simply can't force people that dislike a weight class to play it. In a community where 65% tp 75% of the players are using heavies and assaults 3x4 as a hard constraint simply can not work.

And that leads directly to the problem of light and medium mechs being unattractive to play for most people, both reward wise and balance wise. And that relates to a lot of things: Most maps are still too small or too open to use their speed. The way the current gamemodes work make scouting pretty useless because most maps there are two maybe 3 ways the enemy can go and they are small enough for smaller faster heavy mechs to go check out as well, don't need a fast light to scout. And since maps are all small enough to allow for the enemy to stay grouped you also can't use a loight mech effectively to be hit and runnin, becaus ethe moment you show up you have the weapons of 12 mechs pointed at you.

For the traits of lights and mediums to become meaningful the maps need to become even bigger and the modes need to be tweaked so that staying in a groups of all 12 is the worst option and splitting up into lances is encouraged.

One such change for conquest for instance could be that you only gather points when at least 3 points belong to your team and have at least 3 mechs inside the zone and it needs to get respawn to effectivey eliminate killing the whole enemy team as a winning condition, because that is what breaks the objective driven gamemodes the most: It is FAR FAR easier to just stay in the group and eliminate the complete other team than trying to do the objective. Hence why assault and conquest aren't really much different from skirmish.

Edited by Jason Parker, 07 October 2014 - 03:59 AM.

#73 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 07 October 2014 - 02:31 AM, said:

I'll quit every Conquest game the matchmaker puts me in because of this voting system.

View PostAssaultPig, on 07 October 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

honestly, I'd rather just have the ability to pick a gametype removed than this.

that just lands us right back in the same spot we are already in
the match maker is being punished at the moment because of all the little groups that want to play different things
its a logistical nightmare and its very obvious why no other game allows the kind of hard line choices that mwo offered

if the match maker finds two groups of 12 that are perfectly matched in elo, tonnage, ect it will try to setup a match
but then all it takes is 1 group or team to say, no we refuse to play mode x and the entire match cannot happen
so it sits and waits for the next perfect group the fill the spot but it cant find one so it says
this game has been in build processs for far to long, im going to break some rules to make it work
so it busts up ELO and then if it still cant find anything it does the same with tonnage and then again with weight class

this is why the Que's get so damn messed up when a new heavy mech is released
all those people looking for only their game mode and all in heavies
MM cannot deal with it

and the result is the constant stream of 0-12 games that we see in the group que

crying about this change makes you part of the problem
while the rest of the fan base is desperate for a solution

Edited by Naduk, 07 October 2014 - 04:13 AM.

#74 Solkar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:14 AM

I just want to place a vote against this system. I almost never say negative things, but I really dislike this idea.

When I select the game modes I am interested in playing, it is because that is what I want to play. I would rather wait in a queue an extra 30-60 seconds and play what I want than be dropped into a match mode I did not want.

I actually flag all modes when I want to be surprised.

Maps on the other hand, could benefit from this I think. Not because it would change the rotation terribly much, but because it would give the devs a way to track player preferences and allow them to make maps that we like more often in the future.

#75 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

This is not a good idea. If I don't want to play assault, why should I be forced to? While I tend to queue for any, I don't think any player should be forced to play a mode they don't want. For example, say I want to work on a brawling mech. I will usually then queue up conquest, as I can typically find more opportunities for a brawl in conquest than in other game modes.

Now, what 'would' work for me here, is voting on maps. That way I get to influence which maps I play on.

#76 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostGhostwolfe, on 07 October 2014 - 01:05 AM, said:

Other games aren't scared to show how many people play. PGI on the other hand doesn't even display it nor do they even brag about numbers like games that have healthy populations. We once had a player counter, apparently it wasn't braggable so it got removed. ;)

#77 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 06 October 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

From what I understand is this more about helping the matchmaker than giving people options?

Good:
- More variety
- Forces people to consider they they might drop into a different game mode and have to plan for it
- Helps match maker find closer games in Elo/tonnage etc

Bad:
- Rage quitters leaving matches
- Possibility of being gamed? (I am not sure)
- Poor game modes

Really the last one is my gripe. I play Skirmish only because it is the most interesting and dynamic game mode not restricted in movement by turrets or cap points.

I WANT to like conquest and assault but those modes have serious issues.

Assault - Static game play and no reason to cap a base. I have posted ideas to improve this mode and make it about having a battle front and till enabling capping.
- See here: http://mwomercs.com/...ode-but-improve

Conquest - Poor rewards for capping and a 'Merry go round' mentality rather than territory control. I think a matrix system of cap points would be better for this one too.

While others hate or love the modes the way they are, giving more depth to the objective based modes would really go a LONG way to making the majority happy.

I would love to see the breakdown of modes chosen right now though.

And this pretty well sums up my thoughts. I happily play any game mode with most of my mech builds, however, Assault and Conquest still aren't really about the objectives as the majority of games you win by enemy destruction AND are better rewarded for destroying the enemy.

Until objective based game modes HEAVILY reward obtaining the objective compared to killing the enemy they won't be all that different from skirmish, except more boring due to more static movement options.

#78 Ellen Ripley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:06 AM

View PostTheMagician, on 07 October 2014 - 04:21 AM, said:

This is not a good idea. If I don't want to play assault, why should I be forced to?

Completely agree with Mag here, this change is definitely a step backwards.
Forcing people to play game modes they don't like won't improve the gaming experience of those players. On the other hand I can see what you try to achieve with it in terms of matchmaking.

However, I think most people like having options that allow them to customize their gaming experience more than being restricted by the games they play (I'm certainly one of them), therefore -if you plan on keeping this new system that prohibits people from choosing the game mode they want to play directly- I would request that you add the option into the game for people opt-out of it.

Edited by Ellen Ripley, 07 October 2014 - 05:08 AM.

#79 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:48 AM

Russ, please post a similar post about how the MM adds people and builds the teams! :)

#80 Chimperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

Something to think about...

If u are dropping in a 12 men group when u played the last time against anohter 12 men group?
-before the group-queue patch cames..

Did u ever lost 12men drop against mini-groups?
-nope! maybe once when we was drunk

What if u can wish ur fav game mode with ur 12men brawl-dropdeck?
-F.. yeah maybe we can break the 2:30 min for a 12:0 stomp...

My Question could we get a Map Vote too?
Then we can stomp much faster with only gamemode-vote and only dropping against small groups..

edit: Sorry about my english skills... isn't my mother language

Edited by Chimperator, 07 October 2014 - 05:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users