lol

#22 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

I thought the Lords were retiring from MWO?

In any case, in PUG matches a lone high-level player is often at the mercy of their team anyways so they aren't going to be able to influence the game as much as you would think. I've seen some big names have awful games in the solo queue (probably because they are priority targets too).

#23 Wadesin

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 38 posts
  • LocationENGLAND

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:32 PM

There are thousands of payers on line at any point maybe up to 10000. You guys are living in cloud cookoo land .

Ohh and duran vancour do you math lights average about 8 percent of players in all matchs.

#24 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

There's only usually 50-100 people playing this game at once worldwide...you're lucky to play anyone at all.
Nonsense.

#25 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 06 October 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

There's only usually 50-100 people playing this game at once worldwide...you're lucky to play anyone at all.

Coincidentally, that is the same percentage of credibility you lost in that same statement!

#26 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

Regarding the OP:

It's a specific problem with both ELO and skill gaps in the game, AFAIK. The problem is that there is a big gap in players between midling and high Elo ratings and the top rated players who are mostly either capped in Elo rating or close to it (the cap is 2800 if I'm not mistaken).

So you have a pretty solid distribution of players up to, let's say 2000 Elo (the number is just for illustration). Then between 2000 and 2800 rating the number of players falls off sharply. So you have a relatively small number of players who are so to say in a class of their own and when they want to play one of two thing could happen:

1) They could sit and wait for a loooooooooooong time waiting to find a match (there is a stream where JagerXII waited for something like 70+ minutes to get a game and he's not the only one).

2) The matchmaker can seach a wider Elo bracket and form teams of approximately equal average Elo ratings, even though the gap between the highest and lowest rated player will be quite large.

Naturally the matchmaker does the second thing since it was reworked. That's why you sometimes see player who are more experienced than you, as far as I've been able to piece together.

So it's not so much a problem of a small player base but rather a disparity in the "hardcore : casual" ration. This is, I assume, also affected by the fact that a lot of high rated players spend their play time in group drops etc., meaning there is less of them for the matchmaker to pair up in solo drops.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 06 October 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#27 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostUlketulke, on 06 October 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Either the Matchmaker is crap or the playerbase is too small.
Choose whatever you like.

A little of one and a little of the other imo.

When the players get smaller the MM is loosened up and gets to be ****

#28 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 06 October 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

I hope you don't believe that to be the case, because even a couple seconds of thought proves that to be conclusively false.

There's got to be at least several thousand players simultaneously even at off hours. Tens of thousands at prime times. This is supported by Karl Berg's responses in his thread, too.

Edited by Wintersdark, 06 October 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#29 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:47 PM

I killed a LORD a little while ago. Snuck behind enemy lines, started pouring UAC5's into the back of his Timberwolf. Didn't take long.

He was raging, too. :)

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 06 October 2014 - 03:47 PM.

#30 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 October 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

I hope you don't believe that to be the case, because even a couple seconds of thought proves that to be conclusively false.

There's got to be at least several thousand players simultaneously even at off hours. Tens of thousands at prime times. This is supported by Karl Berg's responses in his thread, too.

Wish theyd revisit the bug that showed the online player count tho

#31 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

I would think that people who usually play (and do well) in a unit... if they roll into the PUG queue, well that ELO is gonna be quite a bit higher. But they gotta get stuck somewhere. So... unfortunately you're gonna come up against guys who are slumming it once in awhile.

I say, bring it on :D
edit:
oh I thought you were talking the PUG queue

Edited by cSand, 06 October 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#32 Aaren Kai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

Sorry

#33 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

I think it has something to do with the group MM struggling as everyone is doing that leaderboard solo drop thingy now..

#34 Kassatsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:02 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 06 October 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I killed a LORD a little while ago. Snuck behind enemy lines, started pouring UAC5's into the back of his Timberwolf. Didn't take long.

He was raging, too. :)

You better have immediately said something to the effect of [redacted] or "ggclose" in all chat.

Edited by Egomane, 07 October 2014 - 02:02 AM.
language

#35 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

<_<

Teh Devs fell for this line about "cash flow for consumables," so now we have release valves, allowing the Usual Suspects to keep on puffing Red Smoke …

#36 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:18 PM

God forbid you just try to get better? Seriously, instead of viewing it as another loss view it as a chance to try to improve your skills.

#37 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 06 October 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Wish theyd revisit the bug that showed the online player count tho

That was a bug with the old UI, replacing the UI fixed it as far as I know. I haven't seen it again, at least. (Assuming you refer to the bug where your MC balance displays the player count).

#38 Duran Vancor

• PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 06 October 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

God forbid you just try to get better? Seriously, instead of viewing it as another loss view it as a chance to try to improve your skills.

That's a nice sentiment. However I will never ever, not in a million years be as good as some of those players. And I shouldn't have to be. There are enough average players for me to compete with.

#39 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 06 October 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Player base is not that small. In solo the names change match to match more than stay the same. I think what is happening is the synch drops are getting more prevalent by the day.

I face three lords in the same lance in solo last night. They farm solo que like the rest of the losers who synch drop.

Join a faction? Show me one honorable one. Most sponsor the synchs themselves.

Goes to character no matter how much lore BS you sling in chat and on the forums

If you have a longer wait time then you do not need to purposefully sync to end up in the same games...eventually you will wait long enough that you end up dropping in same matches. Just saying...

Edit: On topic to the OP...I am sorry but yes I would prefer a pointless game to waiting 8 hours and getting not a single match again...

Edited by Wispsy, 06 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#40 wuzy

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Playing against Lord in group queue is a privilege during our training nights; the challenge they pose is much more exciting than the usual group queue stomping. I don't see what the OP is complaining about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users