#61 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 06 October 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

There's only usually 50-100 people playing this game at once worldwide...you're lucky to play anyone at all.

Sadly this is true. The game launched me and another guy in a 1v1 match because the other 48 guys out of the 50 online were already inside their 12v12s. :(

#62 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:06 AM

Wow as much as I enjoy the infamy, here goes:

View PostKiiyor, on 06 October 2014 - 10:25 PM, said:

The MM doesn't try to fill a team with people of your caliber, it justs tries to ensure that you have someone on the opposite team in the same bracket.
It's why there's usually a smattering of (C) mechs over the course of a play session, no matter how competent or well known you are.

That must be your perspective. But in my games I rarely ever see a champion trial mech. Usually, I don't take too many screenshots but for this weekends challenge I've recorded most of my better matches.
Spoiler

Out of 8 screenshots I've collected there were 2 Champion mechs *all on my team and a Campion Mech and that's the Champion Centurion from the Giveaway Challenge so everyone who participated back than should have it.

Also as you can see from the screenshots I am trying to talk to my teammates, warning them, thanking them and encouraging them for good play (remember it's all solo-que)

View Postjaxjace, on 06 October 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Lords were never anything special, they just focus fire, use pinpoint meta, arty spam, and work together, any loser with half a mech can do that.

View PostHades Trooper, on 07 October 2014 - 12:30 AM, said:

my drunken fellow aussie mates faced a 10 man of them the other night. An 6 of us beat them.
i really think that just 1 meta jump snipe event doesn't make them the best team.

[rage]
Pin-point meta? Meta Jump Snipe? That's so half year ago.

You can have all kinds of strategies and team-play if you can't aim and move, your team will still fail. I don't know where you guys got this crap from. But it clearly demands #publicelo and I'd gladly slap my e-peen into your face, again and again.

Just because you're dropping once of 100 times against lords and because you've won once out of 100 confrontations against lords doesn't mean you're remotely on the same skill-level.

Don't get me wrong, there are good teams and players who are not in the house of lords you have to pay attention to, but you two or your "aussie friends" are definitely not part of that.
[/rage]

As for losing and raging, of course players rage when they lose. Don't put it as if it was something that special.

View PostEscef, on 07 October 2014 - 02:00 AM, said:

I think he's a wanna-be lord. A lot of the guys I've talked to have very low opinions of him.

Energy is in the House Of Lords. Whatever his attitude as a player may be, he's one of the best Laser pilots I've seen.

Edited by Eglar, 07 October 2014 - 03:33 AM.

#63 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:07 AM

I always saw matchmaking as relatively fair, if you are not playing at crazy times

#64 Almeras

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 294 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:29 AM

OP unfortunately for you the MM is probably using you as ballast to even up team ELOs. Some times meta team will hit the search hard limit and you'll be fed to the meta grinder.

There isn't such a thing as tiers in MWO just 'evened elo teams' so their will always be "ELO soup" trailists with metas

#65 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:30 AM

Posted Image

#66 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostEglar, on 07 October 2014 - 03:06 AM, said:

That must be your perspective. But in my games I rarely ever see a champion trial mech. Usually, I don't take too many screenshots but for this weekends challenge I've recorded most of my better matches.

Are you talking about the team queue? The team queue has less (C) mechs, that's true, though i'd say that was because newer players likely find it harder to form a team.

I've crunched 6,500 or so games for my science threads (though only 1500 or so are published, because Excel hates me), from around 20 contributors. In the PUG queue, each contributor had around 10% (C)mechery, and it was a stable figure across the range. The numbers were far lower in the team queues.

This says to me that the MM at least tries to match you with a player of the same skill level, and that it includes a decent representation of different ELO's. It also tells me that that it has a much easier time of this in the PUG queue.

Maybe balancing team matches is just difficult.

#67 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:47 AM

Out of 8 screenshots I've collected there were 2 Champion mechs *all on my team and a Campion Mech and that's the Champion Centurion from the Giveaway Challenge so everyone who participated back than should have it.

I was not running a trial mech. I was running this CN9-A . Haters gonna hate.

#68 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 07 October 2014 - 03:35 AM, said:

Are you talking about the team queue? The team queue has less (C) mechs, that's true, though i'd say that was because newer players likely find it harder to form a team.

I've crunched 6,500 or so games for my science threads (though only 1500 or so are published, because Excel hates me), from around 20 contributors. In the PUG queue, each contributor had around 10% (C)mechery, and it was a stable figure across the range. The numbers were far lower in the team queues.

This says to me that the MM at least tries to match you with a player of the same skill level, and that it includes a decent representation of different ELO's. It also tells me that that it has a much easier time of this in the PUG queue.

Maybe balancing team matches is just difficult.

No i am talking about solo-que. Those screenshots are all from this weekends challenge. And I'll be straight, The Amount of champion mechs that I encounter are way below 5%. Most Solo-Matches I play don't have any Champion mechs at all. Especially now that they have further tightened the Matchmakers threshold. Worrying about too many Champion Mechs has never been a concern for me.

The way I understood the matchmaker is that there is a threshold so it would be impossible for a very high elo player to see a very low elo player in solo-que - ever. I've explained all that in a fairly old post though the threshold values are not up to date anymore I still think that the matchmaker mechanics are the same.

If you want to have a confirmation on that I'd suggest that you go to the Paging Karl Berg Thread and ask him there,

View PostSoulscour, on 07 October 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

I was not running a trial mech. I was running this CN9-A . Haters gonna hate.

heh figures, it was from that giveaway ;)

#69 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostDuran Vancor, on 06 October 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

The thread title is pretty much the topic. Why does somebody like me face Lords or similarly skilled players? I'm as average as you can be, maybe below average since Clans arrived with the ones I want not available yet.

It's pointless when a match takes 2 minutes and ends with a 12:0 and a "ggclose", no?

cause you got Lucky and dropped against real competition?

#70 TYKONDEROGA

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

I recommend you check out HHoD if you're looking for an honorable, positive unit.

http://mwo.enjin.com/

#71 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

Energy is in the House Of Lords. Whatever his attitude as a player may be, he's one of the best Laser pilots I've seen.

Life's too short to game with jackwagons.

#72 Vandul

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

Oh you silly guys with your anecdotal data.

#73 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

Funny that in a thinking man's shooter that so many wouldn't instantly recognize how wildly off that 50 to 100 players number throw out there is...

....then again this thread is probably full of the same guys who kept saying a spider could outrun the old LRMs because they didn't have the slightest clue there was a difference between 100 km/h and 100 m/s.

#74 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostTYKONDEROGA, on 07 October 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

I recommend you check out HHoD if you're looking for an honorable, positive unit.

http://mwo.enjin.com/

Those guys are great!

#75 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 October 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

LOL seriously? The playerbase is that small on this game? No wonder they are charging 55 bucks a mech.....they are probably on the down hill slope unless they really do something to spice this game up and make it more appealing....are those numbers seriously legit? 50-100?

Are you really that Gullible? :(

#76 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

View PostDuran Vancor, on 06 October 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

The thread title is pretty much the topic. Why does somebody like me face Lords or similarly skilled players? I'm as average as you can be, maybe below average since Clans arrived with the ones I want not available yet.

It's pointless when a match takes 2 minutes and ends with a 12:0 and a "ggclose", no?

Just like in real combat, you're not going to be placed in a group of all Rookies who happen to face an OPFOR of all Rookies.
Besides, you can't get better at something if you never challenge yourself - playing with and against Vets is the challenge you require.

#77 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Regardless of overall player population, the number of players at the top is guaranteed to be small (unless your game has a low skill ceiling, which MWO does not). The "top" is like 1% to 2% of the overall population by definition; unless your player base is huge that's just not a lot of people. And even those 1 or 2% are likely running combinations of mechs that cannot be easily matched against each other without throwing in extras. Therefore the MM will usually have difficulty matching top players against other top players.

This means that you, dear casual player, get to fill in the gaps :)

Also, I think it's fair to point out that nobody is skilled enough at this game to consistently carry an entire team in the solo queue. The same guys who run 75:0 in the group queue are probably closer to 2:1 in the solo queue, if that (and even worse if they just came off a 75-0 Elo-boosting group binge :)).

#78 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 06 October 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

LOL seriously? The playerbase is that small on this game? No wonder they are charging 55 bucks a mech.....they are probably on the down hill slope unless they really do something to spice this game up and make it more appealing....are those numbers seriously legit? 50-100?
No, his 'maths' are wrong and his ability to observe is also very extremely bad.

There's a pretty large player base actually, just take the final 'qualifying wins' CBILL award:

To be pessimistic you can say that the number represents ONLY the number of players that got the maximum 10,000,000 cbill award, divide total award by the maximum you can earn and you get:

So, the player base of people who will play this game seriously is AT LEAST:

(edit: by 'seriously' I mean play it multiple times a week)

Obviously not EVERYONE was able to win the maximum 10,000,000 (unfortunately I didn't), and most of the people I regularly play with didn't, so you can assume that the player base number is some MULTIPLE greater than 2,834.

My belief is that PGI was conducting various handicapping experiments, doing live fire calculations of target Elo vs shooter Elo, if the difference between the two was greater than X, then the damage dealt was being adjusted.

I know that there WAS a switch flipped around 11:45PM Sunday night and things went back to 'normal'.

Edited by Dimento Graven, 07 October 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#79 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostUlketulke, on 06 October 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Either the Matchmaker is crap or the playerbase is too small.
Choose whatever you like.

Can't it be both? :P

#80 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:21 AM

Agree to disagree....

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users